Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Speed & Ping Test Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

3080093545.png

This is Vodafone 4g speed with a dongle.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

Woah, finally a true 4G network? No more lies!
    That speed is sick, congrats.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I moved to Vodafone with the promise of up to 24mbs. Now I know I'm not going to get that but it's averaging 3Mbps download and less than .5 upload. Wonderful start

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

3084087003.png

24Mb with Vodafone line max is 17Mb can't complain really speed never drops our area was recently upgraded to ADSL2+ testing in other relatives houses around the area on Vodafone /Eircom all result in a 12Mb-15Mb range of speed much better than any 3G provider can give in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

2ekrtcy.jpg

My fastest yet, impressive for a 100/10 connection. Even more impressive, considering this was on wireless (just bought a new dual-band TP Link router which is far, far better than the built-in router in UPC Horizon boxes). The only downside, ran a couple more tests after this on the same server, and all were in the 40Mbps range - all using the Dublin Vodadone.ie server. The Cork Speedtest server is usually slower.

That's what really annoys me, not only are the speed tests all over the place, but they're not really indicative of real-world download speeds either, IME.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

who_me wrote: »
    That's what really annoys me, not only are the speed tests all over the place, but they're not really indicative of real-world download speeds either, IME.

When I got eFibre (50/15) a couple of months ago I did a load of speed tests on different servers and different sites etc. The UPC speedtest even gave me readings of up to 100, which of course is a load of rubbish. I doubt that reading you've posted is anywhere near the reality of your connection and there's no point you going by the best reading you've ever got.

As regards speedtests the most accurate reading I get is from speedtest.net using the Enniskillen server only. However as that server can get bogged down sometimes you need to check it at different times of the day/night.

The only way to get an accurate reading of your actual download speeds is to download a load of files at the same time from a fast server and see what you really get. No matter what any speedtest result I get, I still always get a rock solid average of 5.65MB/s or 45Mbps which is about right for my connection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I've gone from having a totally stable 16mb connection on a 12mb line (Eircom assured me this was just a bug in the system) to having 14 to have 12 and now to 10. Sky keep trying to "fix" it by lowering it down. Couldn't be more pi$$sed over it all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭simon360

I've gone from having a totally stable 16mb connection on a 12mb line (Eircom assured me this was just a bug in the system) to having 14 to have 12 and now to 10. Sky keep trying to "fix" it by lowering it down. Couldn't be more pi$$sed over it all :(

Same happened to me with Vodafone in August, lowered it down to 5 meg saying it was the line, low and behold they only got on to me last month saying they actually saw it was our modem

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

Blade wrote: »

As regards speedtests the most accurate reading I get is from speedtest.net using the Enniskillen server only. However as that server can get bogged down sometimes you need to check it at different times of the day/night.

The only way to get an accurate reading of your actual download speeds is to download a load of files at the same time from a fast server and see what you really get. No matter what any speedtest result I get, I still always get a rock solid average of 5.65MB/s or 45Mbps which is about right for my connection.

TBH, speedtest and any other test that uses flash is inaccurate, numbers are also boosted. The only online speedtest that is closest to reality is testmy.net
    However it takes much much longer than speedtest, also it does not have the ability to test your speed against servers around your area.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

raymix wrote: »
    TBH, speedtest and any other test that uses flash is inaccurate, numbers are also boosted. The only online speedtest that is closest to reality is testmy.net

Well I just tried testmy.net and it couldn't be any more inaccurate. It's giving me a reading of 2.7 Mbps!, speedtest.net Enniskillen is still reading 47 Mbps and my actual download speed is still a rock solid 45 Mbps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

3092436192.png

And a real world speedtest:

apeb.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

I moved to Vodafone with the promise of up to 24mbs. Now I know I'm not going to get that but it's averaging 3Mbps download and less than .5 upload. Wonderful start

Hi Keano,

I had 3 years of the same senario with Vodafone. I changed to UPC .. on 150mb package and getting an average of 168mb.. even got to 191mb on 1 test.

I'd never go back any provider not using fibre

Dak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

dak wrote: »
    Hi Keano,

I had 3 years of the same senario with Vodafone. I changed to UPC .. on 150mb package and getting an average of 168mb.. even got to 191mb on 1 test.

I'd never go back any provider not using fibre

Dak

Vodafone uses fibre but it just may not be available to him. We have UPC on the south side if our town but can't avail of its fibre services since we are on the north side...well the majority of our town can't get it. It could be the same for Keano.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

red_bairn wrote: »
    Vodafone uses fibre but it just may not be available to him. We have UPC on the south side if our town but can't avail of its fibre services since we are on the north side...well the majority of our town can't get it. It could be the same for Keano.

Sounds like UPC are discriminating against you Northside Greystoneians. It could be worse, UPC could have installed their equipment in your housing estate and then decide to stop 5 houses short of your house because there's no block wall for them to attach their cables too. They installed the cables at the back of the houses instead of the fascia board or under the gutter like I've seen in town houses in Dublin.

Granted, though, I prefer the upload speed on VDSL.

On topic: Sky's speeds in the evening have been brutal lately. I'm getting about one-third of my maximum:

3094154654.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

red_bairn wrote: »

Am I right in thinking Vodafone fibre will only ever go to 70mb max ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

That is currently until Eircom upgrade their infrastructure with vectoring early next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

No When Vectoring launches it will go to around 100Mbps max

crawler wrote: »
    No When Vectoring launches it will go to around 100Mbps max

Just looking at the statistics from my Eircom efibre router and it says that the attainable rate is close to 100, also a friend of mine from Eircom told me ages ago that during early tests they were getting 90+. I assumed from this that my line as it stands could handle 100 if they wanted to give me that much now. Or is this reading I'm getting only saying I could get 100 if Vectoring was enabled?

280218.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

Blade wrote: »
    Just looking at the statistics from my Eircom efibre router and it says that the attainable rate is close to 100, also a friend of mine from Eircom told me ages ago that during early tests they were getting 90+. I assumed from this that my line as it stands could handle 100 if they wanted to give me that much now. Or is this reading I'm getting only saying I could get 100 if Vectoring was enabled?

280218.jpg

Yeah, it seems like your line can handle 98mb down / 31mb up. Do you know how far away from the cabinet you are

Yeah, it seems like your line can handle 98mb down / 31mb up. Do you know how far away from the cabinet you are

About a two minute walk around the corner, I don't know what way it's routed to me but if it was a straight line I'd be only about 20 yards from it. So do you reckon the line could handle that now even before vectoring comes into effect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

another 4G speedtest here from me on my Note 3 on Meteor.

647404257.png

not quite as impressive as the last one, but still pretty good for a mobile phone. :D

Here's the home connection.

2898451790.png

100Mbps Magnet FTTH. really need to be taking advantage of that ping with some online gaming or something! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Got UPC today and I'm delighted :)
    Wired connection:

vibe666 wrote: »

647404257.png

not quite as impressive as the last one, but still pretty good for a mobile phone. :D

2898451790.png

100Mbps Magnet FTTH. really need to be taking advantage of that ping with some online gaming or something! :)
    Luuuuuucky! Those are some great speeds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

This is the crap I'm getting from Sky ADSL. It's a supposed 14/1 meg package.
    89266274.png
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/3101384310.png

The real choker is that my line is Fibre enabled!!
    I'm in Enniscorthy. I don't know how to get the speedtest graphic up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

[IMG][/img]3101697960.png

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ChoppersX

I got eircom efiber in today, pretty chuffed with the difference in speed was on 11mb with Vodafone, I'm around 50 meters away from the cabinet.

3103384239.png

vibe666 wrote: »

647404257.png

2898451790.png

Very nice. That's faster than some network cards can handle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

jca wrote: »
    Very nice. That's faster than some network cards can handle!!
    :)

You can get faster connections with UPC, it's the ping that makes the most of it tbh.

I'm lucky enough that I live in a small estate where ftth
    I keep meaning to was installed when it was built, so I have a gigabit fibre switch actually inside my house, which has got my gigabit router connected, going to a gigabit nic in my PC.

I keep meaning to contact magnet to challenge them to beat UPC because they used to have the fastest broadband in Ireland until UPC rolled their 100Mbps all those years ago. :)

The issues with Sky seem to have been fixed and I just did a SpeedTest and got 8Mb on my lowered from 16Mb 10Mb package

• Advertisement

The issues with Sky seem to have been fixed and I just did a SpeedTest and got 8Mb on my lowered from 16Mb 10Mb package

I wouldn't share your confidence on that one. Speed tests are always fine from midnight. Between 7 and 11 o'clock in the evenings is shocking. Sometimes it's so bad the speed test won't even load. I asked them to lower my profile to 10 meg but they said that lowering the speed wouldn't work!! Bloody muppets haven't a clue. I told them that every provider I'd used had to lower me to 10 meg to get consistent speed. I'd sooner have a consistent 8 rather than this brutal service..... Can't wait to be rid of them....

Advertisement