Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

little advice? cooper v golf

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

kona wrote: »
    Ha I hate "chicks" in minis. They just remind me of sheep.

bonus

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

waffleman wrote: »
    owning a new(er) car V a holiday / owning my house quicker / a new tv?

you've convinced me - i'll stick with my old car :D

ffs, this is a MOTORS forum. You'll never guess what almost every poster here has in common?...A love of cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

Let her get the Cooper,in a sensible colour (no flourescent stuff...)

Try and ge the chilli pack for the good spec and free servicing.

The first ones had a chrysler engine which wasnt any great shakes

But the current one has a peugeot motor which is a good bit easier on

The juice.One other thing, the Mk1 had it's headlights built in to

the bonnet! The current one dosen't. Best o' luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Baaaa! Cooper all the way. Although I do have a hankering for a top spec Fiat 500 once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

wing52 wrote: »
    Let her get the Cooper,in a sensible colour (no flourescent stuff...)

MINI never did flourescent colours, if anything, they were criticised for being too bland. The only bright colours they did were Electric Blue (And it's derrivative Laser Blue), and Silk Green. Everything else was Silver, Black, White, Dark Red, Dark Grey, etc.
    Try and ge the chilli pack for the good spec and free servicing.

Chili Pack doesn't give free servicing.
    The first ones had a chrysler engine which wasnt any great shakes

It had a Tritec engine, which was shared by Chrysler. It is a superior engine to the new one in terms of reliability, and tuneability. A simple remap on the Tritec will bring the 90Bhp MINI One to an interesting 135Bhp. They're absolutely bulletproof, and I've seen people trying to kill them. I've got one, and the missus has one, and neither have given so much as a flutter of a problem.
    But the current one has a peugeot motor which is a good bit easier on The juice.

It doesn't have a Peugeot Motor. The engines are designed by MINI from the ground up with BMW tech. Peugeot are allowed to manufacture the same engines in a slightly lesser state of tune to keep manufacturing costs down for both partners. It is more fuel efficient, but can't be tuned as easily as the previous model.

The only problem is the new turbo Cooper S engine from 07 onwards. Many are developing the 'Cold Start Rattle', which requires the timing gear to be changed, and a software upgrade to be carried out. It also affects the Pugs using the same engine platform.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

The only bright colours they did were Electric Blue (And it's derrivative Laser Blue), and Silk Green.

yellow-mini.jpeg
    It had a Tritec engine, which was shared by Chrysler. It is a superior engine to the new one in terms of reliability, and tuneability.
    It's a rather noisy engine, too, and while it's a nice noise, it's a bit wearing at 130 kph on the motorway, up around 4000 rpm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

ianobrien wrote: »
    Gee, not what I've been told by some friends of mine who service VW & BMW.......

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/

Reliability Mini Cooper 44/100
    Reliability Golf Jetta 55/100

http://www.jdpower.com/

Mini 2.5 stars
    Golf 2.5 stars

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=594

Mini Cooper 4 stars
    Good: Fast and fun.
    Bad: Noisy and harsh (like a Mini Cooper S should be). Wearing on the motorway. No standard a/c. Needs expensive spec upgrades. 17" wheels destroy ride

Golf 4 stars

Good: Far greater feeling of genuine quality than Mk IV, decent handling, engine innovations.
    Bad: Generally hard ride.

Ooops, my opinion? She ought to take the Mini. A 1.4 VW is oafish.

Advertisement