Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

little advice? cooper v golf

Options
  • 15-11-2009 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭

the GF is looking to upgrade her motor. she's driving a '02 1.2 Fiesta.

she narrowed it down to a 07 Beetle, a 05 golf, and a 04 mini cooper.
    I crossed out the beetle for her.

so, its the golf versus the cooper. they both have ~35k on the clock.
    The Golf is a 5 door black 1.4, the Cooper is a 1.6 3 door. the cooper is about €1800 more expensive.

so, which should she go for? I'll get to stick my name on the insurance on either also...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Surely has to be the cooper. The other half had a 1.4 Golf Sportsline for 3 years and it was woefully slow. I mean the fiesta would have had far more go. The cooper every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Yes the 1.4 Golf is a dog, wouldn't purchase it. I'd go with the Cooper if she doesn't intend carrying passengers in the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,201 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No brainer, Cooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Out of those 3 the MINI.

Also consider the Volvo C30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Keep the fiesta IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

zuroph wrote: »

LOL, good man yourself!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

The cooper.

BUT the best answer would be for her to get out there and test drive everything she's remotely interested in and buy the one she likes.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

i would go for the golf as they are better built than coopers and hold there value longer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

is there any proof of that? I'd have thought the mini beat the golf for holding value these days? Plus hasn't golfs reliability slipped badly lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Overature wrote: »
    i would go for the golf as they are better built than coopers

Gee, not what I've been told by some friends of mine who service VW & BMW.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

Overature wrote: »
    i would go for the golf as they are better built than coopers and hold there value longer
    Rubbish. My wife has a mini one and her brother has a 1.4 Golf. Mini is by far a better built car.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I would say the cooper too. The 1.6 is far better than the 1.4 in the golf. And as for the golf holding it's value better, rubbish, the cooper will definitely hold it's value over the golf, especially seeing that people consider MINI to be equal to BMW.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,212 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

:D

But did you know the Beetle is a Golf too? ;)

Anyway, the Golf is very slow and the Cooper quite quick. Unless your GF is an old age pensioner, I'd recommend she'd buy the Cooper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭green123

squod wrote: »
    Keep the fiesta IMO.

exactly.
    why waste 10k+ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

green123 wrote: »
    exactly.
    why waste 10k+ ?

why does anyone change their car?They want a change?They want a more powerful car,they want more boot space,the list is endless

• Registered Users Posts: 65,212 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

exactly.
    why waste 10k+ ?

Why have a steak for dinner when a boiled potatoe would keep the hunger away too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭green123

jackncoke wrote: »
    why does anyone change their car?

i dont know, i cant understand it myself.

unless there is something wrong with a car it just seems like a huge waste of money to be just changing cars for the sake of it.

i read in another thread on here that in ireland we had been changing cars on average every 2 years compared to 8 years in germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

i dont know, i cant understand it myself.

unless there is something wrong with a car it just seems like a huge waste of money to be just changing cars for the sake of it.

i read in another thread on here that in ireland we had been changing cars on average every 2 years compared to 8 years in germany.

Did you get lost and end up here by mistake green123? This is the motors forum you know. Most of us would like to change our cars on a daily basis because driving for some people is fun, not a mundane task as you seem to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

The mini will enhance her sexual prowess more so than the golf!

If I see a girl in a golf I think she's too ordinary.
    Chick in a mini... I'd do 90% of them! :D

unkel wrote: »
    :D

But did you know the Beetle is a Golf too? ;)

Anyway, the Golf is very slow and the Cooper quite quick. Unless your GF is an old age pensioner, I'd recommend she'd buy the Cooper :D
    yes, why anyone would pay extra for a golf with elephantitis is beyond me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

AlienGav wrote: »

Ha I hate "chicks" in minis. They just remind me of sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

kona wrote: »
    Ha I hate "chicks" in minis. They just remind me of sheep.

What about VW Golf drivers, what do they remind you of?

Seriously OP, no contest, Mini all the way. She can always buy a Golf in her middle age, the Mini may not fit the bill then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

alias no.9 wrote: »
    What about VW Golf drivers, what do they remind you of?

Morons who paid way over the mark for a poorly built, generic heap of crap. If you replaced VW with Kia on that car, it would tank.

Horrible horrible cars.

Why pay 20k + on a golf when you could get something FAR more exciting and better built?

I'd rather go for a cooperS over a cooper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

exactly.
    why waste 10k+ ?

If you have no debts and 10k ready to go I say Cooper.

If not I'm with green123 - a lot better things you can spend 10k on besides handing it to this government with their illegal VRT theft tax. Forget the new car - book a month off work - blow it on a 3/4 week holiday - then blow 2/3k on a top of the range super king size memory foam bed when you get back - best purchase I ever made - after all you spend 7/8 hours a day in your bed - how long do you spend in your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

kona wrote: »
    Morons who paid way over the mark for a poorly built, generic heap of crap. If you replaced VW with Kia on that car, it would tank.

Horrible horrible cars.

But what about the clunk of the door and the silicone damped grab handles ;). Seriously though, no arguments from me on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Why waste money on a holiday either? You have to come home at the end of it. Why waste money on a house? All that interest going to the bank to finally own something that you can call yours for a few years before you die, then it's someone elses and all the hard work you did to earn all those hundreds of thousands of euros to pour into your house is now pointless cause you're pushing up daisys. No point in buying a TV in case there's nothing on, and it'll only have to be thrown away in a few years anyway.
    Such an amount of negativity here! It's a motors forum. You earn money to spend it, not save it for your grandkids. Buy the Cooper! Or Cooper S if one is found for the right budget! Go a year or two older for the S to fit the budget!

because her fiesta will start devaluing majorly in the next year or two, already the small telltale signs are starting, the little niggly mechanical problems coming out. also, she is now travelling from limerick to cork and back twice a week for college, so her mileage is about to increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

AlienGav wrote: »
    The mini will enhance her sexual prowess more so than the golf!

If I see a girl in a golf I think she's too ordinary.

Seriuosly, someone should tell that ten percent to fuff-off. If you're not good lookin' stop driving 'coopers.

{Ughhhhhly chicks in mini coopers = fat men in speedos.}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

so, which should she go for?

From experience, if she gets to test drive the Mini, she'll buy one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

Biro wrote: »
    Why waste money on a holiday either? You have to come home at the end of it. Why waste money on a house? All that interest going to the bank to finally own something that you can call yours for a few years before you die, then it's someone elses and all the hard work you did to earn all those hundreds of thousands of euros to pour into your house is now pointless cause you're pushing up daisys. No point in buying a TV in case there's nothing on, and it'll only have to be thrown away in a few years anyway.
    Such an amount of negativity here! It's a motors forum. You earn money to spend it, not save it for your grandkids. Buy the Cooper! Or Cooper S if one is found for the right budget! Go a year or two older for the S to fit the budget!

owning a new(er) car V a holiday / owning my house quicker / a new tv?

you've convinced me - i'll stick with my old car :D

Advertisement