Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dan Hardy? Spoiler inside, dont open if you dont want result.

Options
  • 15-11-2009 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭

So after last night's win Dan Hardy has been given a title shot against GSP, anybody else think this is way out of his league??

I know Hardy's 4-0 in UFC but that includes 2 splits and another decision, IMO the Frenchie will destroy him.

I'm thinking the only reason he's been given this shot is that the UK hasn't held a title fight since BJ beat Joe at 80 and Dana has been promising one for some time. I'm also thinking that the fight will be held in the UK in April, maybe if we're lucky over here in March ;);)

Anybody else think Hardy has a chance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭siochain

no chance. GSP is a well rounded fighter with a lot of experience.

Hardy did well last night but couldn't finish the fight and took the wrong options at times. This he will learn in time and is one for the future. GSP is one step to far to soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

siochain wrote: »
    no chance. GSP is a well rounded fighter with a lot of experience.

Hardy did well last night but couldn't finish the fight and took the wrong options at times. This he will learn in time and is one for the future. GSP is one step to far to soon.

Agree with that, like i said, the only reason i think he's got the shot is because it'll be held in the UK and will be PPV

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Never. GSP is a complete well rounded champion.
    The British "team" thats fighting in the UFC at the minute is good but not that good. I honestly think it will be a very long time before any British fighter can hang with the top fighters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I almost thought GSP would laugh into his face. Not a hope in hell at this time in his career..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Hardy doesnt stand a chance against GSP. Then again GSP is streets ahead of everyone at the weight.

This will be Hendo V Bisping part two only this time much more brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I'd like to see him fight some poper welterweights such as Matt Hughes, Matt Serra, Jon Fitch or Thiago Alves. All those would beat him easily IMO. That puts him at about 6th in the UFC WW list. GSP will murder him, he is the best of the British but the Brits are mid tiered solid UFC fighters, nobody special. Although Hathaway could be, he is so young and has excellent attributes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

You might consider putting a spoiler in the thread title:rolleyes: Not everyone will know the results yet and the spoiler thing has been well and truly explained on here several times.
    I was very impressed (and surprised) by Hardy. He took some good shots and shrugged them off.

Gsp should murder him, however.

You boys are spoiler crazy in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I thought that Swick would take him, but Hardy was custom made to beat Swick. He has a good chin, and good striking.

In saying that, GSP will wreck his world. He will take Hardy down and GNP the crap out of him for a round or two before it's stoppage. Hardy might be training with Bravo on the ground, but his game won't be anywhere near good enough to deal with GSP's constant pressure and effortless passing.

As for spoilers, jesus lads - it's an MMA forum. What do you expect? Don't come on the forum if you don't want spoilers.

• Advertisement

If you've ever had an event ruined by someone posting the results of a fight (without warning) before you have seen it , then you too would post spoiler warnings;)

You might consider putting a spoiler in the thread title:rolleyes: Not everyone will know the results yet and the spoiler thing has been well and truly explained on here several times.
    I was very impressed (and surprised) by Hardy. He took some good shots and shrugged them off.

Gsp should murder him, however.

I didn't bother with the spoiler as i posted 24hrs after an event that was live on TV, sure peeps woulda seen it by now

If you've ever had an event ruined by someone posting the results of a fight (without warning) before you have seen it , then you too would post spoiler warnings;)

Dont come onto a message board if you don't want the even ruined :confused:

Here we fvcking go again:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I watched it live so I'm not bothered. There is a ufc thread with a spoiler warning in the title already so people would know to avoid it if they hadn't seen the event.
    I thought this had all been ironed out after numerous rows in the past:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

+1 for not a hope

Dan Hardy's approach to a fight with GSP will interesting however as I dont think he is going to make gay photoshops of GSP or present him with runner up trophys before the fight either.

Here we fvcking go again:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I watched it live so I'm not bothered. There is a ufc thread with a spoiler warning in the title already so people would know to avoid it if they hadn't seen the event.
    I thought this had all been ironed out after numerous rows in the past:confused:

If i had started this thread a few hours after the event then i would have put Spoiler in the title, as i started it 24hrs after i presumed that everybody who was interested enough to watch the fights would have done so. When do you draw the line on spoilers?
    Dan Henderson beat Bisping wit a brutal KO

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Funny how its always the same people giving off about spoilers.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Gdep

Back to the topic anyway......

I dont think Hardy is ready. I really thought Swick would beat him and give GSP a good fight. Hardy does have a good chin and packs a serious punch.

To be honest, who is ready for GSP??? I dont think anyone at welterweight would give him a fight at this point. The winner of Koscheck and Anthony 'I'm too big for welterweight' Johnson.

ps. Cannot wait for that fight next Saturday.

Funny how its always the same people giving off about spoilers.:rolleyes:
    :confused:
    Glad you find it amusing. As I said I watched it live, was only concerned for others who might not have seen it yet. Thats all

• Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

scudzilla wrote: »
    If i had started this thread a few hours after the event then i would have put Spoiler in the title, as i started it 24hrs after i presumed that everybody who was interested enough to watch the fights would have done so. When do you draw the line on spoilers?

Well this is what the forum charter has to say on the matter:

10) SPOILERS : Its still a spoiler if you give the result away in a thread title within a reasonable time period, you can talk about it but just give a spoiler warning and dont give results away with obvious headings!

Right, threads about events should contain "Spoilers" in the title. If you don't want to see results then don't go into the thread. Thats about it.

Spoilers in Thread titles will be an instant ban, because that's bollix acting basically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dlofnep wrote: »
    As for spoilers, jesus lads - it's an MMA forum. What do you expect? Don't come on the forum if you don't want spoilers.

Pretty surprised that somebody with 10k+ posts and who is a Mod would same something as retarded as this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Lord Muck

I was really impressed by Hardy , i have been in all his fights really. St Pierre is in another world really but he has to fight someone, why not the guy who beat Swick (who was one half of the no 1 contender fight).

spare a thought for poor Swick and Kampman though, both guys were a fight away from a chance at a belt, untill an unlucky training accident to swick.Then they both get soundly beaten in their next match,and leaves them both a long way down the pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

scudzilla wrote: »
    Dan Henderson beat Bisping wit a brutal KO

I'd say plus 7 days is a fair cool down period on events. Keeping spoiler type topics in threads marked as Spoiler is just good manners.
    Maybe Paul wants to call how this kind of thing should be handled?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Its common courtesy to put spoiler warnings in thread titles and i think 7 days is enough time for this, sometimes i have to watch events a few days after due to circumstances, for example i was up at the cage contenders fight night so could not watch it live.

As above i edited the thread title and it was easy, this is how it could have been done in the 1st place with no inconvenience and no harm to other users, we want people logging on and keeping the forum active so telling them to stay away because they have not seen an event is pointless.

Back on topic

I think Hardy was very impressive and really is going to have a future in the UFC but he is far from ready for GSP and only has a punchers chance in my opinion..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

I would agree with Paul's take

It is just too early and he is not the sort of guy who would get mentioned in a "Who is the best P4P fighter in the world?" topic

Whereas GSP belongs in that dicussion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Do I think Hardy is out of his league against GSP? Yes I do.

However, I thought he was out of his league against Davis. He won a deserved decision in my opinion.
    I thought he was definitely out of his league against Swick. He dominated the fight.

My head says GSP will hammer him but I just can't rule Hardy out. He continues to surprise me. Nice guy too.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Its common courtesy to put spoiler warnings in thread titles and i think 7 days is enough time for this, sometimes i have to watch events a few days after due to circumstances, for example i was up at the cage contenders fight night so could not watch it live.

As above i edited the thread title and it was easy, this is how it could have been done in the 1st place with no inconvenience and no harm to other users, we want people logging on and keeping the forum active so telling them to stay away because they have not seen an event is pointless.

Back on topic

I think Hardy was very impressive and really is going to have a future in the UFC but he is far from ready for GSP and only has a punchers chance in my opinion..

Cool, 7 days, at least i know now and won't do it again, cheers
    RealJohn wrote: »
    Do I think Hardy is out of his league against GSP? Yes I do.

However, I thought he was out of his league against Davis. He won a deserved decision in my opinion.
    I thought he was definitely out of his league against Swick. He dominated the fight.

My head says GSP will hammer him but I just can't rule Hardy out. He continues to surprise me. Nice guy too.

I'v never thought of it like that but yeah, spot on there. Hardy went down a lot in estimation of him as a person when he pulled the photobucket stunt on cagewarriors.

Hmmmm, Hardy's now being considered as a coach for next TUF :confused::confused:

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2009/11/16/gsp-and-dan-hardy-possible-coaches-for-tuf-11/

Have to say I didn't like the way Hardy acted (disrespectful)in the build up to the Davis fight and was rooting for Davis.
    Also hoped Swick would cut him down a peg or 2.

After those two wins, he is however starting to impress me a bit as a fighter.

He seemed to land big early in both those fights and the other guys never really fully recovered (David bad cut/broken nose ? early and Swick was rocked in the first exchange i think). So the jury is still out with me.

Dont like this 'I'll fight him in the carpark stuff.' Its not good for the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

Don't like the guy at all, comes across as cocky, and I hate that stupid hair and mouthguard. I feel sorry for swick cause I really like him and thought the would of done the business against Hardy.

I think he is way out of his depth and GSP will do the job

Advertisement