Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More insulation ??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

BUILDERSKY wrote: »
    there is no way J could convince You by posting on this forum becouse the knowledge to understand construction rules is to wide .
    J tried to explain a simple way that pump in insulation itself does not help to the house, and can couse more damages then profits.
    if You like to understand it You can start to learn about what is the thermal bridge, a dew point, a wall breathing, what is the cavity for and how it works,
    and how to calculate a u-value for walls
    then J will convince You easly.
    Regards

Assume whatever you like about what i do or do not understand about cavity construction in general . In particular - explain please why you still contend that beads will permit moisture to cross the cavity .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 BUILDERSKY

Dear Mods

Do not take me wrong Jm not here to teach You a building rules. All J wanted to do was just some advise how to do or what not to do to improve your or somebody else house. So You can use them or not.
    Jm a qualified builder but Jve done my university abroad that probably would be not good enough for You.
    J've aproove my skils in Passive House Institute (Germany) so J think J know a bit about a building.

If You belive that system shown and aprooved by IEB, Homebond, SEI etc. are good
    then tell me why 80% of buildings are leaking, haveing cracks, drafts, dump, fungus, are cold,

In this job theres neve a simple answer how to fix a problem,

So please do not attack me any more. J cannot break a wall with my head.
    good bye

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Dear Mods

Do not take me wrong Jm not here to teach You a building rules. All J wanted to do was just some advise how to do or what not to do to improve your or somebody else house. So You can use them or not.
    Jm a qualified builder but Jve done my university abroad that probably would be not good enough for You.
    J've aproove my skils in Passive House Institute (Germany) so J think J know a bit about a building.
    Nobody here is taking you up wrong. It doesn't matter to me where you went to university. What you know about building remains to be seen, you certainly have not proven yourself or even given a good account of your knowledge of certified building materials or methods in this thread.
    If You belive that system shown and aprooved by IEB, Homebond, SEI etc. are good
    then tell me why 80% of buildings are leaking, haveing cracks, drafts, dump, fungus, are cold,
    Broad sweeping untrue statements. Please link to your proof.
    In this job theres neve a simple answer how to fix a problem,
    Sometimes the answer is to do the job right from the start, that is why we have certified and approved materials and building methods.
    So please do not attack me any more. J cannot break a wall with my head.
    good bye
    Asking you to qualify what you are saying is not attacking you and I'm not sure why you would want to break a wall with your head...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,866 ✭✭✭✭muffler

and I'm not sure why you would want to break a wall with your head...:D
    Perhaps he has already done so and thus the substitution of the letter "I" by the letter "J" ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,121 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

BUILDERSKY,

to be fair we have give you every opportunity to back up your claims... but you have failed to provide even 1 single piece of evidence. You can make all the gestures youd like, but without proof of knowledge they count for nothing.

regular users of the forum will recognise that the more senior members of teh forum have often highlighted the health risks involved with difference types of construction, and made suggestions of actions to take.

Questioning the validity of the certification of a product should be based on scientific proof, not hear-say.

oh, and the reasons irish building have been traditionally leaky and cold was based on other factors such as uneducated builders, inadequate regulation and a lack of building control. Thankfully the issues are being resolved at a very quick rate.

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Perhaps he has already done so and thus the substitution of the letter "I" by the letter "J" ;)

Thanks I'll take it

Does anyone know what is a "dew point"? and how to lokate it

SB Edit

Then op query has been responded to in full

Buildersky - you may start another thread this one is locked now

are you referring to a static or dynamic condensation risk analysis???

You should be informed that static "dew point" method of analysisis now out of date as it doesnt take into account the capillary moisture transport in the component, nor its sorption capacity, both of which reduce the risk of damage in case of condensation. Since the method only considers steady-state transport under heavily simplified boundary conditions, it cannot reproduce individual short-term events or allow for rain and solar radiation.

Therefore it is more precise, and now best practise, to use dynamic hygroscopic behaviour analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,866 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sydthebeat wrote: »
    are you referring to a static or dynamic condensation risk analysis???

You should be informed that static "dew point" method of analysisis now out of date as it doesnt take into account the capillary moisture transport in the component, nor its sorption capacity, both of which reduce the risk of damage in case of condensation. Since the method only considers steady-state transport under heavily simplified boundary conditions, it cannot reproduce individual short-term events or allow for rain and solar radiation.

Therefore it is more precise, and now best practise, to use dynamic hygroscopic behaviour analysis.
    Thats over-simplifying the issue.

muffler wrote: »
    Thats over-simplifying the issue.

felt i had to 'dumb it down' a little ;):D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement