Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More insulation ??

Options
  • 14-11-2009 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all, I'm new to boards, some great stuff on it.. I built a house approx 3 years ago and i put in 50mm kingspan insulation in a 100mm cavity. I was told at the time that this was plenty.. Was wondering if there are any benefits to pumping beads into remainder of cavity? Anyone done this or know of anyone that has? Are the benefits worth the outlay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hi all, I'm new to boards, some great stuff on it.. I built a house approx 3 years ago and i put in 50mm kingspan insulation in a 100mm cavity. Was wondering if there are any benefits to pumping beads into remainder of cavity? Anyone done this or know of anyone that has? Are the benefits worth the outlay?
    I done this earlier in the year - used a bonded bead insulation - and there was a fantastic difference. Not only was the house warmer it was also practically draft free which was a problem I had prior to pumping the cavities.

Highly recommended and you can also get a grant from the SEI for it providing you upgrade the attic insulation also.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

We have the same, could you pm the name of the crowd you used?
    Cheers..

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭stedeb

same here muffler any chance of the company and approx price 3 bed semi
    thanks

PMs sent lads. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

popular, muffler is popular...:D

just pricing the same myself....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 charlie40

Hi Muffler ,could you also pm me name of insulation beading crowd

popular, muffler is popular...:D
    Jesus Im surprised. You're not supposed to be popular when you are a mod - usually I get called a nazi and the likes :D

Anyhow another couple of PMs on their way. :)

Forgot to say in the PM lads that "Gary" does have close contact with installers in other counties so he should be able to help one way or another. Id say they all have a franchise from the main supplier/manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

Hi Muffler,

Just wondering if you know how compact/ bonded the bonded bead should be when pumped?

I had my bungalow pumped recently and the house is way warmer than last year.
    I had to cut out a foot square section out or the external gable wall to put in an RSJ last week for my extension, and while the cavity was full of beads, they didnt seem overly packed, i would have expected them to be squeezed tightly into the space but they looked like they might look if you poured them in.

They were glued together, but again looked like they were barely being held together and the slightest touch made them fall apart.

Is this normal or was my installer being a bit cheap with the beads?

The reason for asking is that my extension will be ready for pumping soon and the installers price is very good, but I would prefer a good job more than a good price for the extension if I cant get both.

Maybe your man gary could answer if you are unsure?

Thanks!

Steve

soldsold, the beads should be reasonably well packed and bonded together. Because the beads are spherical they cant physically form a complete solid block.

Imagine laying a lot of ball bearings or marbles up tight to each other and ensuring that they all touch the bearings/marbles immediately beside them. There will be little gaps or air pockets which are necessary for expelling any moistness that would penetrate. In saying that the beads have to be lightly bonded together - just enough to ensure that they remain physically "locked" to each other.

If you think that there were excessive gaps between the beads or that they weren't properly bonded (takes very little to separate them btw) then you should mention this to the installer.

Let me know if you want me to PM the details of the installer I used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 quagmire123

Thanks for the info muffler. Will give him a call, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 BUILDERSKY

the cavity wall was designed to have some important properties one of them is that the cavity is to take a condensation drop down and slip on dpc (wall ties have nose to let drops down in exact place)
    now if you pomp insulation in then there's no room for it and drops are traveling in to the house.

and then if you are one of the poor guys who have internal insulation then water drops are staying in the wall to feed a fungus wich have a perfect conditions to grow nicely

ooops

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Does anybody know if there is any issue with pumping a wall with Kingspan polyeurthane as in the op. I know there is no problem with pumping a wall with polystyrene board already installed.

polyuretan would have a better u-value becouse its like expanding foam, and polistyrene these are a loose boubles
    ask supplyers to give You a u-value factor for 100 mils ticknes of each

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

But polyurethane boards (or any other rigid boards) usually have big gaps between them, whereas pumped beads should fill the cavity.

Also leaving an open cavity outside the boards leads to thermal looping where the heat coming through the boards is swept away, leading to worse real life u values than the design u values

I think what No.6 wants to know is:

Is there any problem, reaction wise, with pumping a cavity which already has partial fill polyeurthane as opposed to already having a partial fill polystyrene?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Thanks uncle tom, I should have clarified that. Yes I do want to know is there any reaction between the materials, for example there can be a reaction between polystyrene and pvc coated cables.

polistyren gets burn in 70 celcius so any overloaded cabel can damage it

• Registered Users Posts: 7 quagmire123

BUILDERSKY wrote: »
    the cavity wall was designed to have some important properties one of them is that the cavity is to take a condensation drop down and slip on dpc (wall ties have nose to let drops down in exact place)
    now if you pomp insulation in then there's no room for it and drops are traveling in to the house.

and then if you are one of the poor guys who have internal insulation then water drops are staying in the wall to feed a fungus wich have a perfect conditions to grow nicely

ooops
    Thanks buidersky, that's one of the concerns that i had. I've heard of lots of people filling the cavity completely, but i've heard no mention of repercussions such as dampness etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

the beads are spherical - so no matter how tightly pumped a continuous multi directional drainage system of drainage fissures exists to vertically drain water away before reaching the internal

typically the minimum cavity to be pumped is 50mm - to ensure a decent drainage system can be established

before using any product - ensure it is certified

http://www.nsai.ie/Our-Services/Certification/Agrement-Certification/Search-Agrements-Certificates.aspx

• Advertisement

sinnerboy wrote: »
    the beads are spherical - so no matter how tightly pumped a continuous multi directional drainage system of drainage fissures exists to vertically drain water away before reaching the internal

typically the minimum cavity to be pumped is 50mm - to ensure a decent drainage system can be established

before using any product - ensure it is certified

http://www.nsai.ie/Our-Services/Certification/Agrement-Certification/Search-Agrements-Certificates.aspx

hmmmm. it's not really like that.
    You can make a simple test:
    put some water into a pot and position it on the floor hang 1 meter of bandage above and fit one end into a pot to reach water.

after few hours You'll see the water will travel all the way up

obviously water in cavity will be going down but also horizontaly

and if there is internal insulation that water will never breath out

so it is very easy to proov that beter would be to not insulate the wall at all then do it internaly
    Regs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

We are not talking about injecting bandages into the cavity

The beads don't absorb water but rather displace it into the cavities in between.

The water drains down not across

Now - to continue posting here - convince me you are not trolling

there is no way J could convince You by posting on this forum becouse the knowledge to understand construction rules is to wide .
    J tried to explain a simple way that pump in insulation itself does not help to the house, and can couse more damages then profits.
    if You like to understand it You can start to learn about what is the thermal bridge, a dew point, a wall breathing, what is the cavity for and how it works,
    and how to calculate a u-value for walls
    then J will convince You easly.
    Regards

there is no way J could convince You by posting on this forum becouse the knowledge to understand construction rules is to wide .
    J tried to explain a simple way that pump in insulation itself does not help to the house, and can couse more damages then profits.
    if You like to understand it You can start to learn about what is the thermal bridge, a dew point, a wall breathing, what is the cavity for and how it works,
    and how to calculate a u-value for walls
    then J will convince You easly.
    Regards
    Im having a little difficulty in understanding your post and the point you are trying to make. Are you saying that it is wrong to use a product that is guaranteed by the manufacturer and has been tested, approved and certified for use by the NSAI?

the pump in insulation was designed to insulate a flat roof.
    and now it helps to close cavity in standard wall when you do an external insulation.
    what you mean certyfied and guaranteed???

polistyrene like product is certyfied for many diferent uses

but is it certyfied for cavity wall to work like en independent insulation system
    no way.

muffler wrote: »
    Im having a little difficulty in understanding your post and the point you are trying to make. Are you saying that it is wrong to use a product that is guaranteed by the manufacturer and has been tested, approved and certified for use by the NSAI?

YES

and now it helps to close cavity in standard wall when you do an external insulation.
    Pump in insulation will fill a cavity, not close it. Maybe that is what you mean. External insulation is totally different and does not encompass pumping. I wonder if you fully understand the concept.
    This speaks volumes.
    IAB or BBA certified materials and work methods?

but is it certyfied for cavity wall to work like en independent insulation system
    no way.
    http://www.premierinsulations.com/docs/IAB060168.pdf
    please read up on your materials before you make sweeping statements like this again.

Take this as a formal warning.

YES
    Wrong answer, see above.

YES
    Now then, how are you qualified to make this statement or would you prefer that we accept it as your own personal opinion rather than a factual statement? And just be advised that if you still claim that it is factual then you will have to post evidence here to back it up.

Im intrigued.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,122 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

no way.

there are so many things wrong with this post, it would waste my time to dissect it.

buildersky, either you do not fully understand this product or you have been grossly misinformed about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement