Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

belgard motors apply to high court to appoint liquidator

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

ishotjd wrote: »
    I'd like to say the following;

To Buzzard,
    Of course it says 'deposit non refundable' on your receipt as you where fully expectant that Belgard motors would order or buy in a car, on your behalf that would have cost them a lot more than the 2.5k you left as a deposit. Secondly I can assure you that the staff member that was responsible for taking your deposit was not aware the company was entering liquidation. Becareful before calling people cu*ts from now on !!

To onearmedbandit,
    If you could read the news reports correctly it's €17 million not €70 million. Unfortunately this was more a case of the VW group putting an end to Belgard Motors, have a read of the numerous articles in todays papers, in which it states Paul Willis head of VW group Ireland, is not prepared to comment on the rescue plan put forward for the dealership, no interest in the job losses aparently!!

To MarkN,
    Good luck with that one, you haven't a hope lad!!

It was a tongue in cheek statement considering what has happened and as for calling them the C word it was a stated towards Belgard and not anyone in particular as the guy I dealt with was very good considering the my experiences of some sales people over the last month. I lay the blame with the mgt of Belgard and now that I could be down 2.5k. Tell me how would you feel if you were in the same situation ?? Your not the one that potentially out of pocket so dont lecture me.

BTW : I am sorry for those who lost their jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭whippet

I was in with another VW/AUDI/Merc dealer a few weeks ago when I was toying with the idea of changing motors, I bought my current car from Belgard and the sales guy told me flat out that Belgard were in trouble and not to bother getting a quote from them.

I put it down to a sales rep talking crap looking for business, but he obviously knew the score!!

I must say, my dealings with Belgard were excellent, over the space of a few months family members bought 4 new cars from them (not cheap ones either) and would have considered buying from them again !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Buzzard ring your bank today and get the cheque canceled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

MarkN wrote: »
    Will Porsche give the franchise to someone else? Not like there's no other VW/Audi/Mazda dealers... but the Porsche one?

Bit on unfinished business with Belgard myself just not of the purchase order variety.

Not nice to hear of people losing jobs though.

I'd be surprised if any one is brave enough to take on the Porsche franchise tbh. You can count how many new units were sold this year on two hands. Coupled with the expensive warranty jobs that may arise, I certainly wouldnt bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Just heard the new my sister just bought a 2nd hand Golf from them on Wedensday she has not got the log book yet, how do you think she stands, she has the reciept. There is also a car that was traded in.

Do you think she will be ok apart from the warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭MarkN

ishotjd wrote: »
    To MarkN,
    Good luck with that one, you haven't a hope lad!!

Belgard Motors had insurance during the period in question, all that matters.

Sorry to hear you've lost your job if you're one of the staff though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Belgard Motors had insurance during the period in question, all that matters.

If it's an ongoing legal case, you're probably better off not discussing it here...

Sorry to hear you've lost your job if you're one of the staff though.

+1, that's a lot of people to lose their jobs.

As for ishotjd commenting on a company run by JD Murphy? I have the feeling he may be involved alright :p

If so, welcome ishotjd, and sorry for your job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

If their service department is anything to go by, they're no great loss to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Belgard Bad Karma

Could be similar to this fable below

<fable snipped. If it's not solid enough to be addressed in non-fable form, it's probably better off not being discussed at all>

Above fable may, or may not reflect what actually happened in Belgard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

What will happen to the stock they have? Will it be auctioned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 car crazy

hi,

well i am one of those who unfortunately lost there jobs so it was a very sad day yesterday...but thanks for the nice comments

volvoman-bit of a silly statement to make you obviously didnt get your way at some point, just hope you dont loose your job at some point! and have someone make an idiotic comment like that...

@ whippet-unfortunately the motor trade in general is experiencing trouble as im sure you have seen on the news...but we honestly didnt know this was going to happen belgard as it was a good company, and we gave 100% to our customers at all times...

@ buzzard-sorry for your prediciment you have every right to be upset, unfortunatelly alot of the staff will be out of pocket in more ways than one believe it or not ...hope you get sorted out tho and any other people who have put a deposit on cars...

as for anyone who has a car in at the moment they will be doing there best to get cars fixed and back to people...i cant make any further comments as i to am usure of what is happeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

car crazy wrote: »
    hi,
    well i am one of those who unfortunately lost there jobs so it was a very sad day yesterday...but thanks for the nice comments
    ...well, I truly am sorry for anyone in your position. BTDT, not nice at all......:(

volvoman-bit of a silly statement to make you obviously didnt get your way at some point, just hope you dont loose your job at some point! and have someone make an idiotic comment like that.........., and we gave 100% to our customers at all times....

......my experience of Belgard, although infrequent, was alos negative I'm afraid. Bit too much condescension all round I found, and both I, and an awful, awful lot of P-car owners truck our cars over to the UK for service instead. You can take from that what you will, ... The mantra of looking after customers was never so true as now, when the novelty of the shiney 09 plate customers became nothing more than.........ethereal. When the shiney stuff dried up, all the other business had already left/passed them by.

Was the failing from the Motor side, or something else (e.g., like Hogan's ) I wonder........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

galwaytt wrote: »
    Was the failing from the Motor side, or something else (e.g., like Hogan's ) I wonder........
    How long would it take a motor dealer in this climate to clear a €17 million debt (I gather this debt is mostly on capital projects and not stock)? 100 years? More?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Father bought a new golf Gti from belgard in 1990'..We never bought anything else of them as they were more expensive then anyone else out there... Nice showrooms, I wandered in many times eyeing up the cars, even the used cars looked brand new! Have heard good and bad about belgard over the years but anyways thats that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

volvoman-bit of a silly statement to make you obviously didnt get your way at some point, just hope you dont loose your job at some point! and have someone make an idiotic comment like that...

I'm sorry if you lost your job but if the company was rude to potential customers, are they not entitled to say it?

mondeo wrote: »
    Father bought a new golf Gti from belgard in 1990'..We never bought anything else of them as they were more expensive then anyone else out there... Nice showrooms, I wandered in many times eyeing up the cars, even the used cars looked brand new! Have heard good and bad about belgard over the years but anyways thats that.

I don't understand, they were more expensive, but you bought there anyway? Your 19 year old experience is enough to damn them? What's up, exactly?

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I'm sorry if you lost your job but if the company was rude to potential customers, are they not entitled to say it?

Absolutely, if the service was crap, let rip here. It's important that if there's critisim here though, that you have information to back it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

-Chris- wrote: »
    I don't understand, they were more expensive, but you bought there anyway? Your 19 year old experience is enough to damn them? What's up, exactly?

it was the first place we looked at the gti and bought it there and then....afterwards we noticed we paid more then other dealers in around dublin at the time... so what do you do it's too late then. Over the years i've compared their prices to others and they were always more expensive as far as i could see. lovely show rooms though....

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

we paid more then other dealers in around dublin at the time... so what do you do it's too late then. Over the years i've compared their prices to others and they were always more expensive as far as i could see. lovely show rooms though....

Guess who's paying for those lovely show rooms and the free coffee ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

MYOB wrote: »
    Glass palace showroom likely paid for entirely by the bank. Two of them in fact, either side of the Old Belgard Road.
    unkel wrote: »

Whoever bailed out the bank, oh wait thats us...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

VolvoMan wrote: »

+1. The company was also rude if not openly hostile to potential staff. I went for an interview for the position of Customer Care Manager a few years ago and remember meeting the Aftersales Manager in Belgard Motors, one of the rudest and most obnoxious people I have ever met.

I'm sorry for any people who have lost their jobs, but a company that puts signs up saying that staff are not allowed to park their cars on company property, or not allowed to use their mobile phones in work, in my opinion is on a road to a hiding.

I'd go as far to say that the whole business had a serious morale problem, parts staff openly rude to customers, hard to know where to begin when looking at the problems that Belgard Motors had.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 car crazy

-Chris- wrote: »
    Absolutely, if the service was crap, let rip here. It's important that if there's critisim here though, that you have information to back it!

no point letting rip now belgard unforunately is gone, and not everyone had a bad experience thankfully,but im sure there were no where runs smoothly, there were some with a few but no point picking over old bones now

@ darragh-no signs were put up re staff parking cars on the premises so not sure where u got that bit of information from, but yes they werent allowed to park there cars on the premises because it caused problems for paying customers trying to park and for ease of access which is understandable at the end of the day, just an example would you like to go to say woodies or somewhere and not be able to get near the door cos of the staff parking cars around? i know i wouldnt and that would be my no1 complaint before i got in the door...

@ galway- just wondering why you had to truck ur car over to the uk when there was a porsche dealer up the north ?? :confused:

it was the first place we looked at the gti and bought it there and then....afterwards we noticed we paid more then other dealers in around dublin at the time... so what do you do it's too late then. Over the years i've compared their prices to others and they were always more expensive as far as i could see. lovely show rooms though....

If you realised later that you could have bought the car cheaper elsewhere, then that's more down to your research/negotiating skills than it is a reflection on Belgard.

My (more recent) experience was that they were cheaper than others at least as often as they were more expensive.

no point letting rip now belgard unforunately is gone, and not everyone had a bad experience thankfully,but im sure there were no where runs smoothly, there were some with a few but no point picking over old bones now

Very true. I don't mean to encourage people to speak negatively (or positively) about Belgard, but people have the right to vent - you included. The more important thing, if they do, is that they deal in fact and not generalisations or "my mate's mate had a problem there", which is all too common.

P.S. Sorry to hear about your job. I hope you get sorted soon.

@ darragh-no signs were put up re staff parking cars on the premises so not sure where u got that bit of information from, but yes they werent allowed to park there cars on the premises because it caused problems for paying customers trying to park and for ease of access which is understandable at the end of the day, just an example would you like to go to say woodies or somewhere and not be able to get near the door cos of the staff parking cars around? i know i wouldnt and that would be my no1 complaint before i got in the door...

I clearly recall seeing an A4 notice up at reception in the parts area telling staff that they were not allowed to park their own cars on company property. I also recall seeing a similar notice telling staff they were not allowed to use their mobile phones at work.

I went for an interview for as job there and given the attitude and arrogance that I saw from the Aftersales Manager at the time, I'm not a bit surprised the place is now closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Lots of dealerships had poor attitude, service and prices but yet people used them no problem in the boom years. Its because we're bad consumers that places like that are able to exist. I don't think thats the main reason why Belgard have gone, so its irrelevent tbh.

BostonB wrote: »
    Lots of dealerships had poor attitude, service and prices but yet people used them no problem in the boom years. Its because we're bad consumers that places like that are able to exist. I don't think thats the main reason why Belgard have gone, so its irrelevent tbh.

Yeah but we're not in boom times now. The amount of service work they had alone should have been enough to sustain any business. I'd say if VW were not prepared to support them, it might possibly be down to the "do you know who we are" attitude that Belgard Motor's had about themselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

First off - very sorry to those who have lost their jobs.

However when i first heard this my attitude was "not surprised - they deserve it".

The upside of this recession is it's trimmed the fat in alot of industries ie this recession allows businesses to demonstrate how good they really are, sort the men from the boys if you will.

Belgard are a typical boom business - unsustainable as they didn't have to work hard to sell anything, as they grew.

I experienced them over a 6 month period in late 2006 when i was buying a VW golf and also looking at 2nd hand motors. Every single person i encountered (probably about 6/7 over that period) were obnoxious, arrogant and ignorant. Didn't know anything about what they were selling, lazy wouldn't ring me back (despite having €25k cash to spend) and just rude.

From a consumer & business perspective - good riddance IMO.

However, sorry to those who lost their jobs - im sure there were hard working, decent people working there. It's just i never met any when i was over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

@ galway- just wondering why you had to truck ur car over to the uk when there was a porsche dealer up the north ?? :confused:

Because, in an odd kind of way, the UK mainland is easier to get to. For instance, I can take my car off-season via Holyhead and be in Manchester only 2 hrs from the boat. Leave the car there, and fly back to Galway direct. Following Sat do it in reverse.

Going to NI involves a 4.5hr drive - each way, and no direct link. So I have to haul someone with me each time (and their transport).

Actually, there's a Porsche indy in Wales now too, even closer, for GBP£ 35/hr.

As you know, Belgard didn't want anything to do with any non-current Porsches. Until very, very recently I might add: I saw a 993 Servicing offer lately, but too little, too late - there's an awful lot of PCI guys who would darken their door for similar reasons. You'll find in Germany, for example, the dealers are far more amenable, and even in the factory's own dealerships, you'd find anything from old to new, all mixed in. It's all work. Ah, but maybe that's the difference.............

And, in Germany, older models get a 50% reduction on the hourly labour rate...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

unkel wrote: »

it was nice coffee though :D

OH bought a car from them a few years back, we were very happy with them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Their service dept were usually alright to deal with, but the quality of work was another thing. Sales were torture to deal with, so we just didnt bother with them.

Advertisement