Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another Penalty Point Question!

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Do the Gardai have to meet a quota? If so then its completely ridiculous!

I'm going to try and speak to a Sargent in the station. If that doesn't work then I'll go to the ombudsman.

I'll have a good look around for CCTV when I'm around the area next.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

sogood wrote: »
    Isn't it a sad state of affairs that we see so many of these types of posts. Admittedly, while many Gardai are fair minded, decent and conscientious sorts, some unfortunatelly forget that they are servants of the public. Too often a Garda can come the heavy and poor Joe public is left cra**ing himself, for fear of getting into even bigger trouble, whether or not he was in trouble to start with. It seems that a Garda can pull you over for any, or no reason, decide that you did something wrong, and you have to shut up and pay up. Any attempt at reasonable discussion can be interpreted as "resisting" or "being un-cooperative/ argumentative etc." which never sounds good in court. Do you have a leg to stand on? Do you have any specific rights? Do the Gardai have all encompassing powers to which you have no defence? Is there a leaflet or guide to the above, specifically as to what your rights are, what the Garda powers are? Would it be any use, as at the end of the day, it's your word against his?

Is there a guide to a Garda powers regarding traffic?? I wouldn't exactly call it a guide, but an extremely comprehensive piece of legislation.
    Its called the Road Traffic Act 1961-2006.

I love the way people give out about the the law when hardly anyone has actually read ANY of it.

Go to www.irishstatutebook.ie for some education. Might be helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Is there a guide to a Garda powers regarding traffic?? I wouldn't exactly call it a guide, but an extremely comprehensive piece of legislation.
    Its called the Road Traffic Act 1961-2006.

I love the way people give out about the the law when hardly anyone has actually read ANY of it.

Go to www.irishstatutebook.ie for some education. Might be helpful

Thank you for that, but just to clarify, I wasn't "giving out about the law" merely complaining about the sometimes heavy handed behaviour of a minority of "law enforcers". My query wasn't exactly about the content or otherwise of the Road traffic Act, which I happen to be pretty familiar with, along with other related legislations, obligations, requirements etc. as I am a professional driver and am obliged to stay up to date with all current laws in this regard. My query was a general one regarding "Joe Publics" rights, when dealing with requests, instructions etc. from a member of the Gardai, as in non confrontational damage limitation for example. Thank you for your response however and point taken.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Just a quick question - How long do the Gardai have to input an incident report into their system?

Advertisement