Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another Penalty Point Question!

Options
  • 13-11-2009 12:50pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok so I was driving to work this morning, went through an amber light. Third car back waiting to turn right was a Garda car. The car turned around and pull in behind me. He didn't pull me over at this point just pulled in behind me. They just had a good look at who was in the car – I’m a young individual driving a BMW. I moved on. He then flashed his lights and pulled me over.

They got out of the car and proceeded to tell me that I broken a red light. The light was certainly not red when I went through the junction, although it more than likely was red by the time I got to the other side of the junction.

Now I'm left in a situation where I'll be getting a ticket for 2 penalty points in the coming weeks.

I’ve looked over the guidelines in relation to stopping at lights. They read as follows;

An amber light means that you must not go beyond the stop line or, if there is no stop line, beyond the light. However, you may go on if you are so close to the line or the light when the amber light first appears that stopping would be dangerous.

I would contend that I was certainly within the guidelines as outlined above. I was doing about 50Km/h. I think that if I’d hit the brakes to stop the car then I would have either stopped in the middle of the junction or got rear ended by the car behind me.

I feel extremely hard done by but don't know if there is anything I can do about it. If I appeal the decision I run the risk of getting 5 points for the offence. As I already have two points I cannot run the risk of having the charge increased to 5 points. I’m currently looking to see if I can get my hands on any CCTV footage of the incident. Do I have any further recourse?

I've posted this on AAM too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

The same thing happened to my wife, although it was a garda motorbike who stopped her. She's quite sure it was an amber she went through (and i'ld believe her) and that for her to stop would have been unsafe.

However, she just had to take the points, as like yourself she didn't want 5 points for contesting it, as basically it's her word against the Guards.

Hopefully one of the posters from AGS will be able to advise, but to me it looks like you'ld have to take the points despite leaving a bitter taste in your mouth.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Thanks for your reply.

It has left a very bitter taste in my mouth all right. What annoys me further is the fact that the they didn't pull me over straight away. They sat behind me so they could get a good look at me for I'd say about a 45 seconds - 1 minutes before they pulled me over.

I'm going to be up to 4 points now. The first two points relate to speeding (71 Km/h in a 60Km/h zone). I accepted these points and paid the fine etc..

This offence is a complete and utter joke.

Not only that but the Gardaí was utterly rude too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Shane732 wrote: »
    I would contend that I was certainly within the guidelines as outlined above. I was doing about 50Km/h. I think that if I’d hit the brakes to stop the car then I would have either stopped in the middle of the junction or got rear ended by the car behind me.

Is 50kph is a little on the quick side to be going through a traffic light?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It has left a very bitter taste in my mouth all right. What annoys me further is the fact that the they didn't pull me over straight away. They sat behind me so they could get a good look at me for I'd say about a 45 seconds - 1 minutes before they pulled me over.

They probably were doing a check on the reg before pulling you over.

NOt that its any help to your case but proof that even the gardai can make mistakes, a friend of mine got pulled over "for breaking a red light" at Terenure village crossroads. It was a garda just walking the beat flagged him down.

Thing was, my mate didnt run a red or an amber light, he had a filter light to go straight while other lights were red.

He pleaded his case to the garda who was having none of it. Eventually the gardai checked out the light sequence and realised there was a filter and came back to my mate and just told him to move along. No apology or nothing.

It's a good point. The speed limit in the area is 60Km/h in the area. I was travelling circa 10Km/h under the speed limit. The guidelines state that you should reduce speed (but not to a crawl) when going through a set of lights. I was going 10km/h shows that I had reduced my speed.

• Advertisement

its fine to go through a light at 50kph, i'm sure most of us travel through lights at 50kph plenty of times every day, well within the speed limit and driving safely.

It depends on the size of the road. Going through a light at 50kph in a housing estate would be mad, going through a light on a major road at 50kph would be the norm.
    (ofc i mean a green light in all cases! :P )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Berni doc

bad2dabone wrote: »
    The same thing happened to my wife, although it was a garda motorbike who stopped her. She's quite sure it was an amber she went through (and i'ld believe her) and that for her to stop would have been unsafe.

However, she just had to take the points, as like yourself she didn't want 5 points for contesting it, as basically it's her word against the Guards.

Hopefully one of the posters from AGS will be able to advise, but to me it looks like you'ld have to take the points despite leaving a bitter taste in your mouth.

I stopped at a green light once before to avoid the amber light and a car ran into the back of my car, you are right it is sometimes unsafe to stop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Berni doc wrote: »
    I stopped at a green light once before to avoid the amber light and a car ran into the back of my car, you are right it is sometimes unsafe to stop

Come again? You stopped at a GREEN LIGHT to avoid an amber light :eek:

One other point to note is that the Garda on duty didn't actually have the handheld (pulse I think?) unit on board to register the offence.

Unfortunately I didn't have my licene on me - I'm aware that this is an offence in itself but nothing was said about this.

Anyway they just took my details down on a piece of paper and that was it. I have to produce my licence within a week etc....

Would the above have any effect on the matter?

DonJose wrote: »
    Come again? You stopped at a GREEN LIGHT to avoid an amber light :eek:

Well infairness he didn't want to go through the lights and be pulled over for breaking a red light!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Well infairness he didn't want to go through the lights and be pulled over for breaking a red light!!

Did you read what he said?

"I stopped at a green light once before to avoid the amber light and a car ran into the back of my car"

DonJose wrote: »
    Did you read what he said?

"I stopped at a green light once before to avoid the amber light and a car ran into the back of my car"

Yes I did read what he said – my reply was an attempt at sarcasm. I.e. if he was pulled over on the other side the Garda would say that the light was red.

Berni doc wrote: »

i assume you're joking ?

Stopping on a green to avoid an amber is bound to get you rear ended and is your fault! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

The Garda not having the FCPS (handheld) machine makes no odds, it can be updated when he gets back to the station. He just took the details down in his notebook.
    Also, make sure you produce your licence within 10 days, its an offence not to. Bring your insurance cert and nct with you too just to avoid any confusion.

As for the offence, I wasn't there ao i cant comment. If the Guard on scene feels he has a strong enough case to prosecute you, then he prob does.
    Contrary to what a lot of people think, not all Gardai are always out to get people. He wouldn't have turned the car around and followed you if he wasn't sure that you'd done something wrong.
    As for taking a minute to pull you in, there are a number of reasons for this:
    - reg check as someone already said
    - looking for a safe place to pull you in
    - not wanting to block traffic.

There's a few more that i cant think of at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

my reply was an attempt at sarcasm.

Fairly bad attempt! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Contrary to what a lot of people think, not all Gardai aren't always out to get people.

Ha!! You said it mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Stories like this make dashcams sound very attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Ha!! You said it mate!
    Fixed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

What I don't understand is how the police knew you went through a red light (you say they turned around, which sounds like they were facing the opposite direction to you). Were they in a position to see the colour of the light?

Another point is that if they're guessing that it was red, based on what they we're seeing on the lights opposing the direction you were travelling, that wouldn't stand up in court I don't think, as, in my experience, the lights aren't always exactly synced.

Your other point about not stopping as it was changing to amber and you didn't want anyone coming up your ass is valid too. If it was me in the same circumstances as I've understood, I'd go to court over it. Doesn't sound like you were acting the kunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭furiousox

Usually when cases like this go to court the judge always sides with the guard.
    The cctv footage would be a big help for your case though...

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,139 ✭✭✭✭Esel

WTF?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭a_v525

Hey man, FYI all garda cars have those windshield mounted cameras in them. If the garda car had a clear shot of you & the lights, chances are its recorded on the camera so if you went to court you could get the gardai to show the footage which would show if you broke the red light or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Howya Shane,
    Not sure if this is any help but a little over a year ago I was summonsed to appear before the Dublin District Court ( at the Richmond St courts) for non payment of a speeding fine. I had a specific difficulty because my old hand written license had a digit missing on the number. I accepted I was speeding, by the way, but I went to court to explain that I had to try to pay the fine with no success. Anyhoo, while I was there there was a case the same as yours. The Garda gave his evidence that this woman had broken a red light turning right at some junction in Tallaght. The lady herself, with fire in her eyes, adamantly disagreed with the Guard saying that the light was amber and that not turning would have been unsafe. The Judge quickly threw out the case because of the conflicting accounts. He also threw out a couple of speeding cases because people claimed they didn't get the notice in the post. I guess you could call this judge lenient. That was my only time in court and I'm told it's not like that always and you can get a guy with little or no sympathy for you.
    If you are ticked off enough it is an option but a gamble.
    In my case, the kind Judge accepted my particular explanation and didn't put points on my license - I could have gotten six and an 800 euro fine for non payment of the original fine. He did order me to pay a nice few quid into the poor box in recognition of my speeding.
    If you fancy the gamble, put on your best suit and bring your righteous indignation.

Cheers

Thank for all the replies!

The Garda wouldn't have been able to see my car as I was going through the lights on my side.

The car was two/three cars back waiting to turn right so he wouldn't have had a clear view.

In relation to the lights - I simply don't know, it is possible that he saw the lights, its also possible he didn't.

I would love to take this to court but if I lost I'd be up to 7 points and getting insurance at my age in a car like that would be impossible. It's already hard enough - but that's another days work.

It's completely a judgement call, he wasn't on my side of the road. He didn't have a clear view of me going through the junction. He only saw me on the other side of the junction.

I suppose the key to this would be CCTV footage - if I could prove the light was amber I'd be ok.

Fairly bad attempt! :D

Duly noted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I would love to take this to court
    Think that's all you can do tbh, you have to prove there's an element of doubt about the sequence of events. You might get off, you might get convicted, impossible to know for sure. Only you can decide if it's worth the risk to fight it.

Or you might never hear about it again, its a long shot but...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

The keys things here are:
    • The Garda wouldn't have been able to see my car as I was going through the lights on my side.
    • The car was two/three cars back waiting to turn right so he wouldn't have had a clear view.
    • .... he wasn't on my side of the road. He didn't have a clear view of me going through the junction. He only saw me on the other side of the junction.
    • I suppose the key to this would be CCTV footage - if I could prove the light was amber I'd be ok.

For me, there's enough doubt on their side, and too much at stake, for you to NOT contest this. But approach the Garda directly at the station first, and make your case - nicely, and see if you can get him to see your point of view.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 22,139 ✭✭✭✭Esel

And if you do contest it, get a solicitor.

Not your ornery onager

galwaytt wrote: »
    The keys things here are:

[/LIST]

For me, there's enough doubt on their side, and too much at stake, for you to NOT contest this. But approach the Garda directly at the station first, and make your case - nicely, and see if you can get him to see your point of view.

Hi Galwaytt,

Thanks I think I'm going to go with your advice - I have to drop my licence in to the station so I'll try and speak to the officer about it and see what he has to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Isn't it a sad state of affairs that we see so many of these types of posts. Admittedly, while many Gardai are fair minded, decent and conscientious sorts, some unfortunatelly forget that they are servants of the public. Too often a Garda can come the heavy and poor Joe public is left cra**ing himself, for fear of getting into even bigger trouble, whether or not he was in trouble to start with. It seems that a Garda can pull you over for any, or no reason, decide that you did something wrong, and you have to shut up and pay up. Any attempt at reasonable discussion can be interpreted as "resisting" or "being un-cooperative/ argumentative etc." which never sounds good in court. Do you have a leg to stand on? Do you have any specific rights? Do the Gardai have all encompassing powers to which you have no defence? Is there a leaflet or guide to the above, specifically as to what your rights are, what the Garda powers are? Would it be any use, as at the end of the day, it's your word against his?

Advertisement