Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend one underrated album you think deserves more recognition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭mosstin

Morgans wrote: »
    The Divine Comedy - Promenade.

Simultaneously grandiose and silly. Bigger than music.

The best album that ever came from this island. IMO.

What a ****ing wonderful record. As is Liberation, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭WhitestBoyAlive

Kings of Convenience - Riot on An Empty Street

Although Whitest Boy Alive are also good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 olhos

most bands being mentioned are uk, irish or usa. check out belgian band deus, been around since about 95. the only band i buy on the day of the release. highlite cd, the ideal crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

olhos wrote: »
    most bands being mentioned are uk, irish or usa. check out belgian band deus, been around since about 95. the only band i buy on the day of the release. highlite cd, the ideal crash.

The Ideal Crash isn't underrated. it got rave reviews across the board. See I don't get this thread. Most people are naming albums that are rated highly; they just haven't been commercially successful.

My choice is At Action Park by Shellac. It got mixed reviews but I reckon it was the kind of sound Kurt Cobain was desperate to make when Nirvana recorded In Utero. Instead he had to bow down to the record company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Teenage Fanclub - Grand Prix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

MBV's Strawberry & Wine, you can't even so much as buy it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭myles79

The Veils - The Tide That Left and Never Came Back
    from "The runaway found"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Rosie by Fairport Convention; love that album

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭SM01

Mazzy Star - Among My Swan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gasolinehorsey

The Ideal Crash isn't underrated. it got rave reviews across the board. See I don't get this thread. Most people are naming albums that are rated highly; they just haven't been commercially successful.

My choice is At Action Park by Shellac. It got mixed reviews but I reckon it was the kind of sound Kurt Cobain was desperate to make when Nirvana recorded In Utero. Instead he had to bow down to the record company.

ideal crash is overrated i thought, much better reviews than the album

'worst case scenario' and 'in a bar, under the sea' on the other hand, amazing albums that didn't get the recognition they deserved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

Following on from another thread, Gomez - In Our Gun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

myles79 wrote: »

That is a fantastic album. One of my favourites of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Early Day Miners - Jefferson at rest

Best album released this decade IMO, yet never seen anyone mention it and you wont find it on any 'best of' lists this december.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

'worst case scenario' and 'in a bar, under the sea' on the other hand, amazing albums that didn't get the recognition they deserved

Just saw this now. Tell that to the guy that suggested The Ideal Crash. You should be quoting his post and not mine. Just for the record I don't rate Deus that highly. However, regarding their albums I completely disagree with you. Worst case Scenario is probably their worst album. A load of Frames-lite indie standard dogshyte complete with dodgy lyrics and wannabe lounge room meanderings. They kind of matured with the Ideal Crash but there was always something a bit off about them. I reckon it's a bit of the foreign band syndrome where they try to be as much like the English speaking bands as possible intead of being themselves. They just can't pull it off cos it's not in their nature.

Another underrated album is Alien Lanes by Guided by Voices. Now it got good reviews but everyone always raves about Bee Thousand. Alien Lanes is my favourite of theirs and is usually overlooked when publications are doing best album polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,758 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

+1 - "In a bar..." is their masterpiece. With the exception of "Instant Street" I found "Ideal Crash" pretty boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Mansun's Six. One of my desert island discs, so much variety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gasolinehorsey

the god machine - one last laugh in a place of dying

one of the finest albums ever made, and it never got any critical acclaim, will always be in my top 10 fave albums

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

The 'Into the Wild' soundtrack, Ed Vedder. Best album I've bought in ages.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

My Computer - No CV, an album everyone should hear thought it got loads of good reviews but they were always in the smallest print in between reviews of albums that were huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

MBV's Strawberry & Wine, you can't even so much as buy it now.

!!!Alert!!! There is something by MBV that I don't already own?! Agh, surely there must be a way?

That Black Rebel Motorcycle Club song is class. I might give the album a go.

My contribution to this thread would be Bravery, Repetition and Noise by the Brian Jonestown Massacre. A listen-the-whole-way-through album. Thoroughly underrated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

youth and young manhood.........................kings of leon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,758 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

youth and young manhood.........................kings of leon

hardly underrated, a lot of their fans consider it their best (personally I prefer Aha Shake Heartbrake)

another one: Inspiral Carpets - "The Beast Inside" - it was panned, and killed their initial momentum when it came out, but its much better than their debut, darker and more atmospheric:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭cinnamon girl

loyatemu wrote: »
    another one: Inspiral Carpets - "The Beast Inside" - it was panned, and killed their initial momentum when it came out, but its much better than their debut, darker and more atmospheric:

Yes, I think it's a great album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

Blur Think Thank

Unified Theory

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manic mailman

minus the bear (ust in general should be getting more plaudits i feel)

parhelia (formerly revile -great irish instrumental prog band)

redneck manifesto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 myles1979

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

B00005TNYG.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1136512759_.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Anything by Clinic

Advertisement