Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend one underrated album you think deserves more recognition

Options
  • 12-11-2009 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭

I discovered the band Tunng recently and have been obsessed with the album Comments From The Inner Chorus. For those who are not aware, Tunng's sound usually comprises lush guitar finger picking, sweeping cellos, electonic beats and vocals. The album stays solid the whole way throughout. I like the way they mix traditional folk music with modern electronica. Anyway here is one of my favourite tracks of the album.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭colsku

Good thread idea bud!

Whitest Boy Alive - Dreams

Outstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

Nice idea for a thread. One band that I enjoyed as a 'yoof' in the 80s but who now seem to have disappeared from even indie-nerd consciousness was The Woodentops.

They had a really nice acoustic-meets-rockabilly sound. Their drummer was jazz trained and could play just bizarrely fast. Their first eponymous album was great all the way through, pretty much all of their singles are worth getting also. If you get 'em on vinyl you can enjoy the nice artwork they always had. They still tour from time to time too.

They were one of those bands who were absolutely stymied by the requirement to mime to songs on most mid-80s TV shows. Their songs were so fast they always looked totally absurd miming. Here they are on French TV, lousy sound and video quality but worth a look:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

colsku wrote: »
    Good thread idea bud!

Whitest Boy Alive - Dreams

Outstanding

I had one of Whitest Boy Alive's albums for a bit and only gave it a cursory listen. But at the Picnic a friend of mine convinced me to go see them and they were tremendous live. Really played their hearts out and the whole tent was going crazy for them.

I'd recommend Why? Haven't got their new album yet but their first two are really really worth giving some time to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

Eels - Daisies Of The Galaxy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Stone Roses- Second Coming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Soul Cake Duck

Tv on the radio, amazing band...maybe not very underrated but worth a mention as they should imo be a lot 'bigger'!

Here is a live version of Stork & Owl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70T0ngtiDs8

or wolf like me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTy-e6qEWRE&feature=fvst

Great thread..in serious need of some new music!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭mosstin

Every single album by American Music Club.

Alias & tarsier....brookland/oaklyn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ljy9fn7qwhgasx

Hopewell - The Curved Glass. For anyone vaguely Mercury Rev/Flaming Lips inclined.

They've moved on quite a bit in the meantime.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Dexys Midnight Runners - Too Rye Ay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

I'm wide awake it's morning - Bright Eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I'm wide awake it's morning - Bright Eyes

Underated:rolleyes:

Digital Ash in a Digital urn. Much better than the above yet rarely gets that praise. Furr by Blitzen Trapper is also amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

American Football's first and last album...they're one of my favourite bands and it's a really beautiful record but they never get talked about much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

The Exploding Hearts - Guitar Romantic

Their only album, unfortunately, as three of the band died in a bus crash soon after its release. It deserves so much more recognition than it gets.
    If you like the Buzzcocks/Undertones/Only ones then you'll love it, because every song is like "Ever Fallen in love . . ." mixed with "Teenage Kicks" mixed with "Another Girl, Another Planet."

This is the opening track from the album, called "Modern Kicks." It's a cracker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Mumford and Sons - Sigh no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Too High to Die by the Meat Puppets. Their style varies a lot, but I suppose you'd just label the band as alternative. Kurt Cobain said he was hugely influenced by the band, and Nirvana played a few of their tracks (Plateau, Lake of Fire & Oh Me) on their MTV Unplugged in NY album. Great album, great band.

This track is probably the one on the album which got the band the most recognition on mainstream radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭cinnamon girl

Anything by the Band of Holy Joy in the 1980s/early 1990s, but particularly Manic Magic Majestic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Simple Kid - "2"

this song in particular is a masterpiece, but the whole album is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

Purple Hearts - Beat That!

one of the much maligned (often with good reason) second generation mod bands of 1979/80, even within that "movement" they were seen as inferior. It's nothing groundbreaking but is full of great three minute new wavey could be singles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Lycanthropy by Patrick Wolf

I only started listening to it a few weeks ago, and it's so good :) I've heard a good bit about his later work such as The Magic Position but nothing about this one.

It kind of sall ounds a bit weird at first, but the songs are really catchy. I think Lycanthropy, Wolf Song and Don't Say No are the best songs on the album, but they're all pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The Wedding Present - Bizarro

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

'The Nymphs' by the Nymphs

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Feeder - Swim their first ep/album

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Mclusky - Mclusky do Dallas.
    From around 2002. This always sounds great when I put it on.
    One of my favourite albums of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭myles79

genuine thanks colsku and jeff lebowski, its rare these days with a wife and kids i get time to find new bands i really love, but after listening to why the vowels pt 2 and whitest boy alive im getting that buzz again..........EDIT......................... maybe its just the alchohol ..i hope not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

the verve's debut a storm in heaven magical magical album.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiMbqZqjZFI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Sixteen Layers-I Am No One

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ouravit

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl
    Its a beautiful thing. Faultless
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfx3yL2IdV8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Morgans

The Divine Comedy - Promenade.

Simultaneously grandiose and silly. Bigger than music.

The best album that ever came from this island. IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Be Here Now

Advertisement