Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK driver caught speeding in my car...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

craichoe wrote: »
    Most of the time it does, but the one time your caught giving a false declaration you will get proper f*cked :D

what is the punishment for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You've lied on an official document and you can be prosecuted in court for false declaration.

It's a system based on good faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

He's a Garda. HE should know.

You'd think so , but he also said...
    If you want to see the full picture you can request it through the local Supts office

when the actual procedure is...
    Photograph Requests

This facility is only available for camera speeding detections (i.e. Fixed Charge Notice where reference number begins S00….). The applicable notices are identified by a cropped photograph of the registration number of the vehicle on the top right of the FCN, just below the reference number of the notice. If you want to get an enlarged copy of the photograph, the request must be made in writing, by fax to 353 504 59844, by post to the Fixed Charge Processing Office, Thurles, Co. Tipperary or by e-mail to npo@garda.ie. The photograph will then be issued by post. Such requests can only be processed for the registered owner or the nominated driver.

The primary purpose of photographs is to identify the offending vehicle, and not the driver. The identification of the driver is the responsibility and legal requirement placed on the registered owner of the vehicle. These photographs are not used to identify drivers, but in some cases, this may be possible. Care must be taken to nominate the correct driver in each instance.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

This is getting a little tedious.

We seem to be becoming a nation of scammers. Must be harder times I suppose?

What next? My cousin trusted a fart and ruined my new strides? :D

This is getting a little tedious.

We seem to be becoming a nation of scammers. Must be harder times I suppose?

What next? My cousin trusted a fart and ruined my news strides? :D

It's just another example from Ireland of poorly thought out, rushed law being brought onto the statute books. It's entirely right that laws should be tested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Clare_Guy wrote: »
    It's just another example from Ireland of poorly thought out, rushed law being brought onto the statute books. It's entirely right that laws should be tested.

No really poorly thought out, its pretty common, same system is in place in the Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I call lies... Do you have anything to support or confirm your ridiculous claims that the full photo shows the driver or that there are cases pending against people for having given ''false declarations''? I'm guessing no because I've seen these photo's and you cannot see the driver, therefore there cannot any cases you describe. Typical ''afaik''and ''iirc'' drivel that gets posted here all the time...

Clare-Guy - take a frickin' pill. I am now speaking for a position of FACT. My car got photo'd, the notice came, c/w no plate pic - and I was nowhere near the place, so got on to them, and they posted out the full pic.

Yep, sure as rain is rain, there I...........WASN'T :):)

However, Mrs GalwayTT most assuredly WAS, and now wears two points for the pleasure :D:D

Heh, women drivers, eh ? :p:p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 20,824 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Why don't they just include the full photo? Or even have it online and include a pin in the letter if it's too much costs with ink? Would probably actually STOP people trying to scam if they saw themselves driving it in the photo so would therefore decrease the non paid fines from non residents of the country who know they can get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Most of the time it does, but the one time your caught giving a false declaration you will get proper f*cked :D

It almost happened to my sister but she stuck by her guns and the Gards just gave up in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

cormie wrote: »
    Why don't they just include the full photo? Or even have it online and include a pin in the letter if it's too much costs with ink? Would probably actually STOP people trying to scam if they saw themselves driving it in the photo so would therefore decrease the non paid fines from non residents of the country who know they can get away with it.

It would cost billions to re-train them to do this! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Fancy trying to explain to your wife/gf who the female passenger in the photo is? ;)

Fancy trying to explain to your wife/gf who the female passenger in the photo is? ;)

Well combined with my honesty and the fact I'd often have customers in the van with me, that's no problem :D I can see why others would object though :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭lynchie

I call lies... Do you have anything to support or confirm your ridiculous claims that the full photo shows the driver or that there are cases pending against people for having given ''false declarations''? I'm guessing no because I've seen these photo's and you cannot see the driver, therefore there cannot any cases you describe. Typical ''afaik''and ''iirc'' drivel that gets posted here all the time...

I was in court before waiting on my case to be called up. There was a woman in front of me who had filled in on her form that her dad was driving the car. She must have sent it off hoping he would get the points. Anyway.. It ends up in court and the Garda had put evidence forward to the judge that he believed the woman was driving. The garda showed the picture to the judge who then showed it to the two of them to confirm it was the father in the car. Obv the woman hadnt seen the picture before that day. Didnt see the picture but the judge was suggesting that the image was of her and not her father and to come clean. She was asked to discuss it with her solicitor. In the end she admitted that she was driving and was fined heavily and given 4 points. The judge gave the father a good going over too for making a false declaration but allowed him off with a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Could one of the guards answer this question

If that UK driver pays the fine, obviously he cant have the points put on his license. Is there a "ghost" R.O.I. license created for him and the points are put on that? (so that if he was caught and fessed up to 6 speeding offenses he would be effectively banned from driving?)

Is this a rummour or is it true? (linkys if you can, and its true please!)

Thing with ghost licence on which you get points is true.
    But this point doesn't mean anything, until that person will swap his licence to Irish licence.

Example.
    Someone with French license drives in Ireland. During 1 year he gets 6 points. They cannot be written to French licence, so they are written to ghost Irish Licence. Then if the person will swap his French licence to Irish licence, he will get fresh Irish licence with 6 points on it.

Example 2.
    Someone with German licence drives in Ireland. He collects 25 points during 1 year. He never intende to change his licence to Irish one. In this case he can still drive, and collect even more points on his ghost Irish licence.

Do the points on the ghost license expire after 2 years as they do with active licenses?

Do the points on the ghost license expire after 2 years as they do with active licenses?

No.
    Points expire after 3 years. Both on ghost licence and normal licence.

Ah, I thought it was 2 :o Not that I'd need to know or anything though :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

CiniO wrote: »
    Was it just UK or any EU country?

Quinn treat Ireland, the UK, Channel Islands and IOM as your "home" market so I'm guessing it was just the UK. If on fully comp it applies for 365/6 days a year in the UK (+CI/IOM) rather than 90 days then dropping to TP only in Europe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Farls wrote: »
    As for insurance if a vehicle is open driver then anyone with a full licence over the age of 25 can drive using your insurance.

Can you, or anyone else back this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

eth0_ wrote: »
    If your uncle is insured in the UK on his own car, fully comp....does that cover him to drive cars outside the UK?

I don't think it does...

No idea about going in that direction, but a few years ago I was insured first with Quinn and then with Allianz. At the time I was visiting a friend in the UK relatively regularly. With both insurance companies I phoned and ask if my comp insurance would cover me for driving a UK reg car, owned by someone else, in the UK.

Both companies checked my policy and said that was fine, and I got them to send me a letter saying "Thoie's covered by our insurance to drive a UK reg car in the UK" (roughly). I used keep that tucked in with my driving license, just in case! One of them charged me €20 to write the letter, the other sent it for free.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's true, open drive is not the same as the driver being able to drive other cars however. Open drive with most insurance companies means anyone 25-70 with a full license and the consent of the insured can drive the vehicle. Some companies require notification of who it is, some don't. As long as they meet the criteria which with some companies also means they have no serious motor convictions or 6 or more points, then they are legally covered to drive the insured vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Thing with ghost licence on which you get points is true.
    But this point doesn't mean anything, until that person will swap his licence to Irish licence.

Example.
    Someone with French license drives in Ireland. During 1 year he gets 6 points. They cannot be written to French licence, so they are written to ghost Irish Licence. Then if the person will swap his French licence to Irish licence, he will get fresh Irish licence with 6 points on it.

Example 2.
    Someone with German licence drives in Ireland. He collects 25 points during 1 year. He never intende to change his licence to Irish one. In this case he can still drive, and collect even more points on his ghost Irish licence.

How does it work if a UK licence holder gets a ban here? Is it a ban from driving here ir a ban on an Irish licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Ring your insurance company and ask them, I haven't time at the moment to find something online about it but I have my jeep insured as open driver and I have 2 people that are over 25 and have full licences but no insurance of their own driving it without being named or anything else on my policy and my insurance company says this is fine as with open driving they are covered under my insurance.

How does it work if a UK licence holder gets a ban here? Is it a ban from driving here ir a ban on an Irish licence?

I'm not 100% certain, but AFAIK if you get ban say for drink driving in Ireland, and have licence issued in other country, then they cannot take your licence.
    They might actually phisically take the document, and send it back to country of issue, but there you'll be able to pick it up.

Only what you get is ban for driving on Irish roads.
    But still can get anywhere else...

Which is bit funny, because if you got caught drink driving with Irish licence in Ireland, they would take your licence, and then you would'nt be allowed to drive anywhere in EU.

No really poorly thought out, its pretty common, same system is in place in the Netherlands.

A quick google will show you how the Netherlands does NOT use the same system. If you're caught speeding in Holland it's practically impossible to avoid penalty.

They have, firstly, far more advanced traffic camera systems, and secondly, one of the most advanced penalty collection and offender tracking systems in the world.

So the chances of a dutch citizen avoiding penalty by nominating a foreign driver, in the first place, are practically zero and if they do manage to nominate a foreign driver, the dutch persue the penalty indefinately with the financial penalty increasing over time...

galwaytt wrote: »
    Clare-Guy - take a frickin' pill. I am now speaking for a position of FACT. My car got photo'd, the notice came, c/w no plate pic - and I was nowhere near the place, so got on to them, and they posted out the full pic.

Yep, sure as rain is rain, there I...........WASN'T :):)

However, Mrs GalwayTT most assuredly WAS, and now wears two points for the pleasure :D:D

Heh, women drivers, eh ? :p:p

I am also speaking from a position of FACT. I have seen the full picture, it's b&w, poor quality and it's impossible to make out any driver, nevermind identify the driver.

Was your pic b&w or colour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tomasbu

I'm not 100% certain, but AFAIK if you get ban say for drink driving in Ireland, and have licence issued in other country, then they cannot take your licence.
    They might actually phisically take the document, and send it back to country of issue, but there you'll be able to pick it up.

Only what you get is ban for driving on Irish roads.
    But still can get anywhere else...

Which is bit funny, because if you got caught drink driving with Irish licence in Ireland, they would take your licence, and then you would'nt be allowed to drive anywhere in EU.

if you have license issued in another county and you are caught drunk driving, you still can keep your license, but they are 'marked' as banned somewhere in an Irish system. You can drive with it in the rest of the world with no problems, but you get into problem if you're stopped again here and Garda runs a good check on it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I think I read somewhere that an agreement exists between Ireland and the UK which means a ban in one country also has affect in the other.

Haven't got time to google it now, but I'm sure that's what I read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

If you are banned in Ireland, you canot drive anywhere else as ,obviously, you dont have a license. To drive abroad you and your car must be road legal here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Couldn't resist!!

A43096A7-92AF-45C2-532DE15F31ABC444.jpg

horseboxRFE_468x299.jpg

Advertisement