Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK driver caught speeding in my car...

Options
  • 11-11-2009 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

My uncle(UK resident and driving licience) was over from the UK last weekend and was out driving in my car on Saturday night, he ended up getting flashed by a gatso van and the fixed penalty notice arrived today (shockingly fast!). Does anyone know how I deal with this situation? Do I send back the form on his behalf with the fine paid and his licience details? I cant sign his signature though. Do I waiit for it to go to court? Has anyone been in this situation before? I assume that the main thing the Gaurds want is the €80.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

farva wrote: »
    My uncle(UK resident and driving licience) was over from the UK last weekend and was out driving in my car on Saturday night, he ended up getting flashed by a gatso van and the fixed penalty notice arrived today (shockingly fast!). Does anyone know how I deal with this situation? Do I send back the form on his behalf with the fine paid and his licience details? I cant sign his signature though. Do I waiit for it to go to court? Has anyone been in this situation before? I assume that the main thing the Gaurds want is the €80.

Cheers.

why not tell your uncle he owes you €80 for speeding - he pays you and you pay the fine.

for the best advice on the matter - bring the information you have to your local garda station and ask for advice there on what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Cheers.

Good way to avoid the points ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Section 107 requires the registered owner to nominate the driver. If you had read the notice you would have seen this on the back page.

Fill out the 107 requirement and the notice will be re printed and sent to the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

Thanks for the replies guys. The €80 isnt the problem, he'll pay me that - I just dont want the unearned points!
    Section 107 requires the registered owner to nominate the driver. If you had read the notice you would have seen this on the back page.

Fill out the 107 requirement and the notice will be re printed and sent to the UK.

That seems a bit easy though? Whats to stop anyone doing that or giving a fake address? And if he chooses not to pay it in the UK are the Guards going to pursue him in the UK?

That seems a bit easy though? Whats to stop anyone doing that or giving a fake address? And if he chooses not to pay it in the UK are the Guards going to pursue him in the UK?

Thats the law......just remember that it is a photo and while you only see your reg plate the full photo shows the whole car annd is of good enough quality to pick out the driver.

There is several cases going through the court at present for making a false decleration.....a very serious offence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

maybe it was the OPs identical twin uncle!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Thats the law......just remember that it is a photo and while you only see your reg plate the full photo shows the whole car annd is of good enough quality to pick out the driver.

There is several cases going through the court at present for making a false decleration.....a very serious offence.

So you're getting just the letter with reg numer, but they have a full picture in the office showing driver... Thats what you said?

In this case, thats a bit unfair.
    If I got a letter saying, that someone was speeding in my car 2 weeks ago, I might not remember who was driving at this time.
    This makes it incredably easy to make false statement then.
    Why don't they show you a full picture, so you can recognise the face?

PCPhoto wrote: »
    why not tell your uncle he owes you €80 for speeding - he pays you and you pay the fine.

Because he'll get penalty points then.
    Why shoud he get points, that he doesn't deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭halpin17

See if the guards are bothered to go track down ur uncle in the uk for €80 they won't so just sit back relax and do nothing

CiniO wrote: »
    So you're getting just the letter with reg numer, but they have a full picture in the office showing driver... Thats what you said?

In this case, thats a bit unfair.
    If I got a letter saying, that someone was speeding in my car 2 weeks ago, I might not remember who was driving at this time.
    This makes it incredably easy to make false statement then.
    Why don't they show you a full picture, so you can recognise the face?

To save on paper. It is a picture of the reg plate only added to the FCPS notice on the top right hand corner. If you want to see the full picture you can request it through the local Supts office but your obligation to pay within the 56 total days still stands.

halpin17 wrote: »
    See if the guards are bothered to go track down ur uncle in the uk for €80 they won't so just sit back relax and do nothing

Great advice there.......just sit back and do nothing....sure all that can happen is AGS will prosecuted YOU for speeding and failing to nominate a driver!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

If your uncle is insured in the UK on his own car, fully comp....does that cover him to drive cars outside the UK?

I don't think it does...

Just fill out the form that declares he was driving the car. He will only have to pay the fine anyway as he cannot get Irish points on his UK licence.

eth0_ wrote: »
    If your uncle is insured in the UK on his own car, fully comp....does that cover him to drive cars outside the UK?

I don't think it does...

Very good question.
    I was wondering if this works other way.
    Let say I have full comp insurance in Ireland, which lets me drive other cars.
    It states that car cannot be registered on my name or on the name of my employer. It also has to be car (not van).
    But it doesn't say, it has to be registered in Ireland.

Does it mean, I can drive cars registered abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭halpin17

Just say clearly this isn't me driving the car it's my uncle here are his contact details and then ur uncle can do what he pleases don't pay is my suggestion

You cannot get points on a UK licence in Ireland. I got myself a UK licence for that very reason :D!!!

Seems you didn't read throughly.
    His uncle has UK licence. He himself, has Irish licence.

BTW thats the backdoor for anyone in EU to avoid penalty points.
    Just get licence from different country that you are actualy living in, and you can't get any points on it.

Probably not for too long, because european commission is already working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I don't think it does...

it does, well... my one does. fully comp has a 60 day european green card usually. it depends on the insurer.
    if you nominate your uncle, they're very unlikely to chase it up. there are stories every few months about cooperation to make points transfer to another countries licenses but it hasn't come off yet. the last time i heard it was due to start on april 1st 2009.
    it works the opposite too, getting a letter in the uk will not be chased up if an irish address is nominated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

I call lies... Do you have anything to support or confirm your ridiculous claims that the full photo shows the driver or that there are cases pending against people for having given ''false declarations''? I'm guessing no because I've seen these photo's and you cannot see the driver, therefore there cannot any cases you describe. Typical ''afaik''and ''iirc'' drivel that gets posted here all the time...

CiniO wrote: »
    Seems you didn't read throughly.
    His uncle has UK licence. He himself, has Irish licence.

BTW thats the backdoor for anyone in EU to avoid penalty points.
    Just get licence from different country that you are actualy living in, and you can't get any points on it.

Probably not for too long, because european commission is already working on it.

Sorry I just scanned through the thread I have edited my original post(before I say your post pointing out my mistake:o)

I don't think it does...

It varies with insurer but I was covered to drive cars in the UK when I was insured 3rd party with Quinn here.

Which brings me on to my next question, why do people think you need fully comp insurance for the driving other cars extension. Any company I have been with covered driving other cars when I had a 3rd party policy.

it does, well... my one does. fully comp has a 60 day european green card usually. it depends on the insurer.

You are sayin about different thing.
    Your insurer allows you to take your car to europe for 60 days.
    But it doesn't mean you can drive cars registered in foreign country.

Just to clarify.
    There is no need for greencard if you are travelling within EU.
    Greencard used to be a confirmation of your insurance while abroad. But they changed european law, and now you don't need it.

Also your insurer gives you 60 days cover for the EU, but I suppose, it's because you've got comprehensive cover.

Obligatory third party cover is valid all over EU for the whole duration of your insurance policy. And it's not up to insurer, but european and irish insurance law, makes them to provide such a cover.
    With additional cover (fire, theft, comprehensive) it is up to the insurer if you'll get EU cover, and for how long. But you still get unlimited third party cover within EU anyway.

It varies with insurer but I was covered to drive cars in the UK when I was insured 3rd party with Quinn here.

Was it just UK or any EU country?
    Which brings me on to my next question, why do people think you need fully comp insurance for the driving other cars extension. Any company I have been with covered driving other cars when I had a 3rd party policy.

In UK usually you get grant for driving other cars just with comprehensive policies. Thats probably where the story came from.

Anyway in Ireland it rather depends of your driving history and no claims bonus. With my last insurance thay asked me to pay additional fee for this option. Anyway I went for it, because the fee was something like 3 quid. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Just fill out the form that declares he was driving the car. He will only have to pay the fine anyway as he cannot get Irish points on his UK licence.
    halpin17 wrote: »
    Just say clearly this isn't me driving the car it's my uncle here are his contact details and then ur uncle can do what he pleases don't pay is my suggestion

Indeed and if the Gardaí do send a notice to the UK the uncle is free to bin it and nothing will happen to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Clare_Guy wrote: »
    I call lies... Do you have anything to support or confirm your ridiculous claims that the full photo shows the driver or that there are cases pending against people for having given ''false declarations''? I'm guessing no because I've seen these photo's and you cannot see the driver, therefore there cannot any cases you describe. Typical ''afaik''and ''iirc'' drivel that gets posted here all the time...

I think his avatar might be a pointer towards him having something to support his 'ridiculous' claims :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Could one of the guards answer this question

If that UK driver pays the fine, obviously he cant have the points put on his license. Is there a "ghost" R.O.I. license created for him and the points are put on that? (so that if he was caught and fessed up to 6 speeding offenses he would be effectively banned from driving?)

Is this a rummour or is it true? (linkys if you can, and its true please!)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I guess this isn't the case with fixed cameras which generally snap you from behind? What's to say the UK driver doesn't look extremely like the owner anyway? They wouldn't go to the trouble of paying the mentioned driver on the form a visit to have a look at him I'm guessing :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Clare_Guy wrote: »

He's a Garda. HE should know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I had the exact same problem about 2 years ago, got letter in the post about speeding over near sligo when it was my uncle driving he was over for a funeral from the UK. I went to the garda station where the fine was issued from and spoke to the sergeant there and told him the story, he wrote my uncles name down on the back of the form and I couldn't remember the address so he just wrote 'UK' on it and sent me on my merry way. The uncle nor myself ever heard a thing since about it.

As for insurance if a vehicle is open driver then anyone with a full licence over the age of 25 can drive using your insurance.

I find that notion of the picture showing the driver and cases pending hard to believe also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Slightly off topic here, can anyone tell me what happens to a UK driver who is banned here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

The old "my uncle was over from the UK" trick, works every time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Sizzler wrote: »

I once had a van driver who's sister was over from Mexico City for the week ,took his branded company focus van out and got caught speeding. Poor fella, took him a couple of days to rememeber who was driving and get her home address in Mexico :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Sizzler wrote: »

Most of the time it does, but the one time your caught giving a false declaration you will get proper f*cked :D

Advertisement