Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is Ireland's most influential DJ/ producer ever?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Larry Gogan!

*runs*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

jtsuited wrote: »
    as far as i can see, there are only really 3 producers who are actually internationally relevant right now (as in would be well known around the world and excluding joc obviously). And those 3 are...

Sian
    Chymera
    donnacha costello

Add Boxcutter and Calibre to that list, and Zero Tolerance

Seriously, Calibre and Zero T have spawned a whole generation of copy cats...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭nonsense42

jtsuited wrote: »
    as far as i can see, there are only really 3 producers who are actually internationally relevant right now (as in would be well known around the world and excluding joc obviously). And those 3 are...

Sian
    Chymera
    donnacha costello

Id have to say John Daly is a big omission there.Also Fish Go Deep are pretty big on the international scene.Aside from those 5 and JOC excluding Northern Ireland I dont think there are any others worth mentioning.

Not to be negative but all the Warren K's/Francois'/Sunil Sharpe etc havent released on any big international labels for them to be considered for this.Theres only so much spinning of other peoples records you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

I'd say Dollard for DJ scene in Dublin

Greg Dowling for the scene in Cork

David Holmes for producer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

No one has mentioned Fergie, but his Oirishness is debatable too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

How did I forget Boxcutter,....

What about Ambulance and Sunken Foal.... both of whom released LPs on Planet Mu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

nonsense42 wrote: »

Not to be negative but all the Warren K's/Francois'/Sunil Sharpe etc havent released on any big international labels for them to be considered for this.Theres only so much spinning of other peoples records you can do.

Fair enough but surely if your spinning other peoples records before everyone else, id consider that an influence on the listener. Which would make them Influential. Have a goo at the title of the thread. It's dj's and producers. The thread has developed into a producer debate alright but I think my suggestions were valid.

Also al Keegan deserves a mention purely for his constan promoting, productions, gigs and now festivals. And how could anyone forget mcgruders. Our own modern day asylum!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

DJ Spiral

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

scudzilla wrote: »
    DJ Spiral
    Dj Carey so.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Starfox

I think youd have to put this question into a genre its too broad a question, JOC for trance but thats my genre :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

I'd never actually heard of that O'Callaghan fella until I had a gander at that list.

How many here have actually seen him play/heard a production of his?

If it aint many that kinda kills his influence somewhat, no?
    Those lists are ballacks anyway, they are voted for by candy ravers in the states and Europe, its rare that credible acts end up high on them.

Irish, and internationally influential - I would say -
    Production - Calibre, Decal
    Dj - Annie Mac (in actual DJ terms shes a non-starter, but her influence these days is undeniable), David Holmes (also as a producer)

FruitLover wrote: »
    Larry Gogan!

*runs*

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

this will surprise most of you, but i fully believe that a irish man called,Ronan Orahilly who first started the off shore radio station ,radio caroline that brought pop music[for the first time] to the people of the UK,

getz wrote: »
    this will surprise most of you, but i fully believe that a irish man called,Ronan Orahilly who first started the off shore radio station ,radio caroline that brought pop music[for the first time] to the people of the UK,

Ah yes, the old

CAR O LIIIIIINE
    CAR O LIIIIIINE
    YI
    YI
    YINE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

believe it or not ,the radio station is again broardcasting and has its own web site

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭/\ NIGHTFLIGHT

John Daly
    Donnacha Costello
    Chymera
    Lerossa
    Mano Le Tough
    Dancepig
    Sian
    Americhord
    Fish Go Deep
    Calibre
    Boxcutter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Surprised no one has mentioned Decal

The real answer is Definitely Holmes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

Surprised no one has mentioned Decal

The real answer is Definitely Holmes though.

See post #42!!!

Also, I'm sure the Japanese Popstars will be influential in years to come if they progress their sound a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

In my eyes it has to be Donnacha Costello, Chymera is up there aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Hawk Wing

Personally speaking from DJing point of view, Francois and Liam Dollard in Dublin and the Cork lads in Sweat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

Calibre - a generation of producers around the world have been trying to do what he does, and for the most part failing.

this.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

Regis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

scudzilla wrote: »
    DJ Spiral
    djspiral.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 robbed

Donal Dineen.

Advertisement