Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is Ireland's most influential DJ/ producer ever?

Options
  • 11-11-2009 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

I was just reading through the top 100 thread below and noticed that John O'Callaghan is getting quiet a bit of stick. I've never really been into his stuff but I've always thought that he was a bit of a leading figure in the Irish scene.

So what do you think? Since electronic music got going in Ireland who've been the most influential/ leading DJs and producers. All EM genres apply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

For me personally?

Dj Wise?

Giles Armstrong, listened to him all through my growing up phases, he influenced the type of music I probably play today....

Production wise?

Too many to mention, everything from Soundcrowd (I know, lol) up as far as Donnacha Costello....

In regards to JOC, John O Callaghan is like Worzel Gummidge, he's out-standing in his own field, that field being trance, not my cuppa tea, and im pretty sure not his either, but if its sells records and gets him gigs, and thats what the kids want, then fair enough.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

DJ Johnny Moy

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hesho

Frank Kennedy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

wouldn't objectively know a good DJ if one came up and bit me on the arse but as for producers, I'd go with David Holmes in terms of influence.

Would have thought that Johnny Moy was the first Irish dj that those of us living 200 miles from Dublin heard of in the mid 90s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Dj Pressure. He was world famous in ireland in 92-95

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Swayzee

Annie Mac Annie Mac Annie Mac Annie Mac Annie Mac Annie Mac!!!!

Her set at electric picnic was unreal!!
    not missing her tomorrow night at the academy.
    Benga is class too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Aphex Twin?

Swayzee wrote: »
    Annie Mac Annie Mac Annie Mac Annie Mac Annie Mac Annie Mac!!!!

Her set at electric picnic was unreal!!
    not missing her tomorrow night at the academy.
    Benga is class too

Is that Benga from Tullamore??:D

Stab*City wrote: »
    Aphex Twin?
    curious one that, him being born here and all that. how long did he live here before moving to Cornwall?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Real FM

As far as I know it was well before his music making days but I'm not 100% sure.

old gregg wrote: »
    curious one that, him being born here and all that. how long did he live here before moving to Cornwall?

Not sure but an Irishman is an Irishman anyday.

I think his parents just happened to be in Ireland at the time. He grew up with Cornwall, as he was very good friends with Luke Vibert from a very young age, well before the pair were tearing apart Cornwall with their sets....

Also DJ Johnny Moy is a ****ing tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Also DJ Johnny Moy is a ****ing tool.

Yes. And then Yes again.

What about David Holmes? He was on the go right back when acid house kicked off here and has gone on to international stardom/tooldom too, but at least he actually achieved something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Surprised no one has mentioned Greg Dowling and Shane Johnson yet. Would have thought they would be up there with the most influential. Not really my cup of tea but respect what they achieved all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Even if he's not fully Irish, I think Aphex is miles ahead of the rest of the pack.

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Surprised no one has mentioned Greg Dowling and Shane Johnson yet.

Of course, gotta be at the top alright.

As for Aphex Twin, he's as Irish as the Duke of Wellington. Come on. Afaik he has a British passport and is a British citizen.

Of course, gotta be at the top alright.

As for Aphex Twin, he's as Irish as the Duke of Wellington. Come on. Afaik he has a British passport and is a British citizen.

Ever heard of dual citizenship? Sorry i didnt realise our selection had to have red hair, a tattoo of a shamrock and a pot of gold..:D

Ok i supposse:
    David Holmes
    Col Hamilton
    Shane and Greg
    Dj Pressure
    Francois

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Ever heard of dual citizenship? Sorry i didnt realise our selection had to have red hair, a tattoo of a shamrock and a pot of gold..:D

In fairness, his parents are Welsh, and he grew up in Cornwall, he may have only been in Ireland a few days/weeks.

Ever heard of dual citizenship?

Does he have that?

If he is Irish, or even has dual citizenship, then I guess he ousts Shane and Greg, he certainly would be hands down our biggest electrnic act ever. But just still not sure he is ours really...

• Advertisement

Im gonna email him and ask does he reconigise his irish roots.. if he does hes on the list if not well hes off!:D

Ok i supposse:
    David Holmes
    Col Hamilton
    Shane and Greg
    Dj Pressure
    Francois

I think the guys in my list did actually influence up and coming dj's and club sounds around Ireland..

wow thats my first time quoting myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Calibre - a generation of producers around the world have been trying to do what he does, and for the most part failing.

Rohan - Bassbin was a game-changing label in every sense of the word.

wow thats my first time quoting myself!
    there ya go, that's how Joyce started out, one day he was quoting himself on Boards, next thing ya know, Ulysses came out, time to get cracking :D

Aye, about as Irish as General Montgomery or Lord Kitchener....

(both of whom were born here but grew up in England from an eary age)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Where do you start...

Liam Dollard probably the very best of them all

Francois
    Mick Walsh
    Warren Kiernan
    Billy Scurry
    Johnny Moy
    Mark Kavanagh
    Greg & Shane the Sir Henry Boys
    David Holmes

could probably list a lot more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

i dont really think anybody is infleuntial to be fair...agree with fieldser about joc though...

id probably go for

warren keirnan
    francois
    sunil sharpe
    donnacha costello
    mark kavanagh
    mr.spring

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

as far as i can see, there are only really 3 producers who are actually internationally relevant right now (as in would be well known around the world and excluding joc obviously). And those 3 are...

Sian
    Chymera
    donnacha costello

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

those 3 are 4 :P

Advertisement