Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Baby Buggies in the US

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

The irony of antirip being ripped to shreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

AntiRip wrote: »
    Having a baby of my own I don't find that one bit funny actually

Surely all the gold frankensence and mirr was handy to have though? And did the 3 wise men not even offer to change a nappy? Pffttt some people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Amazing how they recalled them in the USA and England but Ireland?
    Naaa we can go stuff ourselves apparently!

Same as happened before with Land of Leather (now renamed into a different name but same stock and staff) and their sofas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

Biggins;Amazing how they recalled them in the USA and England but Ireland?
    Naaa we can go stuff ourselves apparently!

True.
    Some of those american parents were obviously unhinged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Biggins wrote: »
    Same as happened before with Land of Leather (now renamed into a different name but same stock and staff) and their sofas!

Those sofas that were eating small children? I remember that. They were comfy so it didn't worry me too much, just had to be careful when my nephew and nieces niece were over is all. Learned that pretty quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Those sofas that were eating small children? I remember that. They were comfy so it didn't worry me too much, just had to be careful when my nephew and nieces niece were over is all. Learned that pretty quickly.

no free couch muzzles for us :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Fury as firm fails to recall buggy that cut off tots' fingers

THE National Consumer Agency (NCA) has criticised buggy maker Maclaren, claiming it has not given children in Ireland the same level of protection as those in the US.

Maclaren said yesterday it would not be recalling pushchairs sold in Ireland, despite a decision to recall a million buggies in the US after 12 children had their fingers severed in them.

The British company said that instead of a recall, extra warnings will be put on its buggies. The models affected are single and double umbrella pushchairs, including popular Volo, Techno and Quest models.

"We wish to reassure our customers that they should continue to use their existing Maclaren buggies since they are safe when opened and closed correctly," a Maclaren Europe spokesperson said.

"As further reassurance we have updated our operating instructions and placed a warning label on the buggy to ensure that customers take care and keep children away from the buggy when it is being folded or unfolded.

"Our advice is that consumers should take the same level of caution and care as when opening or closing a car door or any other moving part that can be found in many other baby and toddler products."

The US Consumer Product Safety Commission this week announced a voluntary recall of all Maclaren strollers sold since 1999 following 12 reported cases of children having their fingertips severed by getting them caught in a hinge on the product. They warned owners there to stop using the pushchairs until they could be fitted with special hinge covers which would prevent children getting fingers caught.

Maclaren Europe said there had been a lower number of similar incidents amongst a considerably higher number of Maclaren buggies sold in Europe compared to the US.

The NCA said that Maclaren's position was unacceptable. "Children in Ireland deserve the same level of protection as Maclaren is offering those in the US. NCA is continuing its attempts to clarify the difference in approach between the Irish (EU) and US markets and is awaiting a response from Maclaren," the NCA said.

Response

"NCA does not accept that differences in the regulatory systems in the EU and the US can justify a different response when the welfare of children is concerned."

A Maclaren spokesperson said that that in the US the term "recall" was used more generically and applied for most types of corrective action, as in this case Maclaren USA was modifying the buggies at owners' homes rather than replacing them.

Maclaren is one of the best-selling makes of child pushchairs in this country.

Meanwhile, the Environmental Protection Agency yesterday ordered the recall of 4,000 toy foam pistols containing lead sold by Euro General Retail at €uro2 outlets. Analysis of the pistols purchased in the store in William Street, Limerick, had shown it contained lead in excess of permitted levels.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fury-as-firm-fails-to-recall-buggy-that-cut-off-tots-fingers-1939197.html

Advertisement