Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four Nations Final

Options
  • 10-11-2009 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/8351127.stm

It appears there's a bit of controversy...

I'm not sure who I'd rather. Hayne would want the play-the-ball clear much quicker than the others (ie. immediately) but I think there's a worry that the final would be refereed as NRL games are. There are some differences in how the game is played between the two hemispheres and refereeing preferences could have a huge factor on this.

Didn't think Alibert was up to standard last week - he's been alright in his first year at SuperLeague though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Personally, though I'm a great fan of the NRL, I don't like the amount of nonsense allowed in the tackle. I prefer the more flowing SL style game as such I'd prefer to see Ganson in charge on balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdeT

Another thing I have noticed about Australians is they absolutely don't rate English rugby league. That's the Aussie players, coaching team, fans. I just don't think they sincerelly consider them in the same league as the Roos.

Does this also rub off on Aussie refs? If Roos dominate a tackle or a few tackles and slow the play-the-ball right down does the ref consider it good defence and if England do it does he think that something illegal must have gone on or that they're lying on?

Unfortunately referees from other countries aren't plentiful and somebody's going to have to compromise...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

toomevara wrote: »
    Personally, though I'm a great fan of the NRL, I don't like the amount of nonsense allowed in the tackle. I prefer the more flowing SL style game as such I'd prefer to see Ganson in charge on balance.

Thing I notice in SL is the amount of play-acting by tacked folk looking for penalties claiming they're being held. I don't see the SL as more flowing than the NRL whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Cheeky statement from the Aussies along the lines of how they didn't object to a British ref last time, so why would the English complain about an Aussie ref now. Almost as if they had planned it all along. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Justind wrote: »
    Thing I notice in SL is the amount of play-acting by tacked folk looking for penalties claiming they're being held. I don't see the SL as more flowing than the NRL whatsoever.

The SL has cleaned up the ptb a lot over the years an it's now much faster than the NRL where they seem to be allowed to do
    anything in the tackle to slow it down such as the chicken wing tackle. Anything like that in SL and you are right, the players look to
    draw the refs attention to it and gain a
    penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

It's a hard call but then again it's not like England were going to give the Roo's a fast play off the ball anyway. Again it ll all come down to whether England can control Inglis, honestly if i was TS id try attacking Hayne who's had to sit on his lonely wing all tournament chances are he ll not be 100% focused and can be exploited.

Stev_o wrote: »
    It's a hard call but then again it's not like England were going to give the Roo's a fast play off the ball anyway. Again it ll all come down to whether England can control Inglis, honestly if i was TS id try attacking Hayne who's had to sit on his lonely wing all tournament chances are he ll not be 100% focused and can be exploited.
    I think the second half of the last time they played will have been a wake-up call for the Roos to be as far from complacent as possible. Could go down to the last minute or else be a kicking in Aussie's favours.
    Personally, I hope Aussie stuff them out of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

According to Fox Sports:
    New Zealand official Leon Williamson has been appointed to control the Four Nations final as the embarrassing stalemate over who should referee the Australia-England clash came to a predictable end.
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26338282-23214,00.html

Personally, I hope Aussie stuff them out of sight.

I'd have to disagree. The last thing international rugby league needs, in general, is another pointless Aussie cakewalk. Pesonally, I'm hoping for a tight, high quality game, culminating in a narrow win for England.

I'd have to disagree. The last thing international rugby league needs, in general, is another pointless Aussie cakewalk. Pesonally, I'm hoping for a tight, high quality game, culminating in a narrow win for England.

Mate, the Kiwis won the RLWC and the previous Tri Series. An English win would change very little. Besides, I've been a Roos and Blues (and Norths) supporter since a kid so sorry, I'm all over Aussie for this game.

• Advertisement

Mate, the Kiwis won the RLWC and the previous Tri Series. An English win would change very little. Besides, I've been a Roos and Blues (and Norths) supporter since a kid so sorry, I'm all over Aussie for this game.

Aware of the previous history of the various comps. Historically England/GB, call it what you will, have an appalling record against the Roos (of whom, I too am of course, a great admirer, Souths fan myself).

Have seen them play live many, many times and am always amazed by the skill level, passion and commitment...the very essence in many ways of RL.

In terms of the larger picture, RL's trying to raise its profile nationally here in England...a victory over the aussies would be a fantastic filip from that perspective...there's also a big push to increase the profile of the international game. Really big push on to pack out Elland. So for me its got to be England..but good luck to the aussies, just do not want to see a one sided slaughter...no good for the game, imo.

Incidentally, I do think the Roos will win,probably relatively handomely..just naturally gravitate to the underdog I guess.

to throw my 2c into things ... I'd like to see a very close exciting game with a narrow Australian win at the end.

I'm all over Aussie too being a Sydney boy living in Ireland but I just love a close edge of the seat game of footy, it's like Christmas, only better :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I am not all over anything, but hope England win, don't care if they stuff Australia or not. Anyone but Australia in any sport, not just RL.

(of whom, I too am of course, a great admirer, Souths fan myself)
    Okay, thats enough. Lets just say I'm not a fan of the Rabbitohs regardless of the fact that Norths ended up as a feeder club to them.
    Our conversation ends here.
    Thank you. Have a good day despite :p

dooferoaks wrote: »
    I am not all over anything, but hope England win, don't care if they stuff Australia or not. Anyone but Australia in any sport, not just RL.

Yeah - I like to see Aussie RL lose and England RL win so I'll be shouting for England from the East Terrace (if my family ever heard me say that!).

Added to that Paul Gallen - a filthy player who wouldn't ever get my support I've got my reasons.

Ricky Stuart blew up last year when the Roos lost and I think Sheens has the capacity to do the same. That's reason enough for me.

Having said that...I'm not confident.

Okay, thats enough. Lets just say I'm not a fan of the Rabbitohs regardless of the fact that Norths ended up as a feeder club to them.
    Our conversation ends here.
    Thank you. Have a good day despite :p

Well I never!! Harumph.....

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Anyone but Australia in any sport, not just RL.

surely it's time for a mod to step in and put an end to this, to this outrage :p

old gregg wrote: »
    surely it's time for a mod to step in and put an end to this, to this outrage :p

Certainly...dooferoaks I command you to give yourself a stern talking to, immediately.

England name an unchanged team......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Certainly...dooferoaks I command you to give yourself a stern talking to, immediately.

Phew, just got off the phone from myself. Certainly wont be pushin my luck again. To our southern hemisphere cousins I offer the olive branch, I must admit to loving the Origin game really, usually cheer for Yorkshire.

• Advertisement

England name an unchanged team......

Probably the correct decision - you can't beat the world champs one saturday and then make changes.

Now, it's the Aussie selection that's interesting!
    http://www.gillette4nations.co.uk/article.php?id=15945
    Backrow appears to have gallen and lewis in 2nd row and hindmarsh at "lock". Unsure why they're playing Hindmarsh and Gallen where they are rather than swapping - maybe he wants something similar from all of his back row so doesn't mind what number they wear. It's some luxury to be able to leave Watmough on the bench - the guy's inbelievable and hits like a truck.

I think there are areas to be exploited. Hayne (best player towards the end of 09) plays his best rugby from fb and can be agressive in defence. If he leaves his line to put in a big hit there might be space (saying that, he usually times it well). Hannant is relatively inexperienced and if Eng are to get away with a win, they'll have to dominate the forwards big time. Ellis will be great, as usual. Burgess and Crabtree might just be able to put the Roos under a little bit of pressure off the bench.

Ground's filling up by all accounts! Hope it's a full house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Looking forward to an England victory.

It could be over in the first 20 though if England play like they did a fortnight ago.

Delighted Jennings got a bench spot (though i still think he should be ahead of Hodges). Will be supporting England for this match while admiring Australia ;)

Definitely an interesting aussie squad. Also the scuttlebutt is that Lockyer will retire from international rugby after tomorrow's game....

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Game is a sell-out, although the Elland Road capacity has been limited to 31,000, with the upper East Stand staying closed (which has been for United's matches).

Have to say I would love to see England finally winning against Australia, as it would be a huge filip for the SL and I am well tired of seeing the Aussies win for the past 30 years:(

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    Game is a sell-out

Brilliant, delighted to hear it. Atmosphere going to be a cracker. Cannot wait.

This match should make up for the lack luster displays in the sister code today :p

Stev_o wrote: »
    This match should make up for the lack luster displays in the sister code today :p

Hopefully Stev_o, just heading out to the stadium. Only possible fly in the opintment is the evening's pretty miserable here. Alot of rain today, and its spitting at the mo. Anyhoo as you say can't possibly be any worse than anything else we've seen involving an oval ball today...;)

Wonder try by Burgess after brilliant defensive display at the other end denying the Roo's a try.

• Advertisement

In 12 minutes this game has managed to be better then almost 5 hours of Rugby Union!

Morris in for the corner after the Roo's intercept a pass when England looked sure to score.

Advertisement