Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brand New and Looking for Help

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Boom Boom wrote: »
    Chris thanks for all your help you have a customer for life. In saying that now i have a question for you the brush I have is 100% pure bristle from the body shop but bristles come out of it when i am lathering up is this normal with shaving brushes?
    Glad its working out for you :)
    You can expect some shedding from a brush but if it is continuous it may be a sign that the bristles have been damaged and become brittle or the glue has given up. I would give it a little while to settle and see if it can hold itself together.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

Boom boom, it's great to hear that you got on so well. It will only get better as your technique improves!

My brush sheds a couple of hairs every month or so. It's 4 years old and still working fine.

Of all the blades in the sample pack, the Gilette 7 o'clock did not do it for me. Blades seem to be very funny, what suits one person is terrible for someone else.

Speick is relatively mild as far as aftershave with alcohol goes. Again, as you progress, you won't be nicking yourself as much, and the sting factor will be virtually nil. I tend to put the Nivea AS balm on first, and when a couple of mins later, once it has dried in, I then apply the Speick. Maybe that will make a difference?

I've just got a new progress from Chris as well (I think you got the same), so I'm probably in for a rough couple of days until I get the hang of it. I'm looking forward to it though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Boom Boom

Thanks chris, will keep an eye on it.

bothyhead, never though of using both I am always afraid of mixing creams or anything as I said fierce sensitive skin. But I might give it a whirl and see.

you will enjoy the progress I have the long handled one and its set at 2 - 2.5.

The first two shaves I used the Derby blades and last night I tried out the 7 O'Clock and that was a more comfortable shave so I imagine you are right on the everyone has a blade preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Thanks chris, will keep an eye on it.

bothyhead, never though of using both I am always afraid of mixing creams or anything as I said fierce sensitive skin. But I might give it a whirl and see.

you will enjoy the progress I have the long handled one and its set at 2 - 2.5.

The first two shaves I used the Derby blades and last night I tried out the 7 O'Clock and that was a more comfortable shave so I imagine you are right on the everyone has a blade preference.

Everyone likes different blades, I hate Derbys but like the 7 o'clocks.
    I find the 7 o'clocks are sharper than the Derbys, Red Personna or Israeli Crystals.

I too avoided most balms and aftershaves before I made the switch to DE
    shaving. I blamed it on sensitive skin, but in hindsight the sensitive skin
    was due to using the likes of Mach3 and Fusions. Now I'm using proper
    shaving products I can use products I'd avoided for years.

After your warm and then cold post-shave rinses, try using some witchhazel. You can get generic stuff it in Boots or get the Thayers brand
    from iherb.com cheap enough. Let it air dry then apply your balm of choice.

I alternate some days, skip the witch hazel and use aftershaves from Speick, Proraso or Floid. If my skin feels dry I'll use a balm as well.
    If I use a tallow based soap or the likes of Mitchells Wool Fat shaving
    soap I find my skin is left feeling great and I often skip the balm.

The whole reason I got into DE shaving 4 years ago was because I suffer from acne rosacea, and got to the stage where I was ready to try anything. It takes very little for my face to flare up, but I've had no reaction to Prorasso, Speick, Nivea ASB, or witch hazel - nor thankfully to badgers or feathers :) A good quality face wash is also a must.

But like all these things, if your face does react, then stop using it ... my face did not like trumper's rose soap at all, which is one of the better creams out there.

• Advertisement

I too avoided most balms and aftershaves before I made the switch to DE
    shaving. I blamed it on sensitive skin, but in hindsight the sensitive skin
    was due to using the likes of Mach3 and Fusions.

I would be willing to bet that a large percentage of sensitive skin is down to poor technique. I remember the days, before I learned multi-pass reductions, of trying to get as much bristle off as possible in a single pass. Then turning the beast around and doing the same against the grain. :eek: Of course, multi blade thingies, and that stuff in a can did nothing to help.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well lads,

3 shaves in and i can say i am impressed and will never buy another plastic packet razor again.

mwhahaha another one converted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kell77

Evening lads,

I'm also fed up throwing good money away on fusion blades that only give an average shave!
    Have read this thread and the saftey razor thread and have decided on the following:
    1. Merkur Progress Long Handle Razor
    2. Proraso Pre & Post Shaving Cream
    3. Two of a kind DE Blade Sample Pack.

Looking for advice on which type of the following to purchase for a newbie:
    1. Shaving Brush
    2. Shaving cream or soap

Do I need to look at purchasing anything else for starting off or I have covered everthing above?

Thanks

Kell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

For shaving cream, you can't go wrong with the 'Taylor of Old Bond Street' (TOBs) tubs, weight for price, they last ages.

Brush is a more personal thing for you, if you don't want to break the bank, maybe dabble with a Semogue or Mühle Best Badger.. and see where that takes you.. or a boar, for more backbone.

Think about picking up a styptic pencil too, helps for the first week or six..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Goose81

I have only found this section in the forums by accident in the last week and reading many of the threads you might be just the people i'm hoping can help.

I shave every 2 -3 days and I get bad razor burn and pimples (ingrown hairs) on my neck always looks as if i have been partly strangled. Have tried everything spent fortunes asking for advice in the likes of boots and places.

I am looking for recommendations for a safety razor and products to try sort this out. I have been scouring shaving.ie but i dont even know where to begin. I have used a saftey razor before and it had no effect, but it was a €5 boots one, so that could be the problem right there.

I have quite course stubble and sensitive skin (a big wuss i know) but any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks
    Boom Boom

The cheap boots one works fine,I bought it about 6 months ago and im still using it.
    Cut the absolute face off myselff first time but after that all fine.I would say all the videos etc I have seen are far more cautious then you need to be imo.As long as your using lather you will have to try hard to cut yourself.

• Advertisement

kell77 wrote: »
    Looking for advice on which type of the following to purchase for a newbie:
    1. Shaving Brush
    2. Shaving cream or soap

I would go for a badger brush rather than boar, as I find it's much easier to lather. Shaving.ie has badger brushes around the 25 quid mark. A boar will be cheaper.

I love prorasso cream, it's slightly mentholated, and easy to lather IMHO. Most of the guys here recommend Taylor's (TOBs). The aromas from TOBs are wonderful. For everyday shaving, I prefer the less fussy prorasso. You won't go too far wrong with either of those.

Thanks for the advice Amalgam & bothyhead!
    Have forwarded an order to shaving.ie and will see how I go from there!

kell77, what did you order? It's always interesting to hear what others pick out for themselves.

Amalgam, I ordered the following:
    • Proraso Pre and Post Shaving Cream
    • Merkur Progress Long Handle 510001
    • Two Of A Kind DE Blade Sample Pack
    • Taylors of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream Bowl (Avocado)
    • Proraso Sensitive Shaving Soap with Aloe and Green Tree
    • Styptic Pencil!!
    • Semogue 2010 Badger Hair Shaving Brush

That's a nice selection, I love those Semogue handles. You've hedged your bets getting a soap and a cream.. ;)

semogue2010.jpg

You'll be pleased with that kit. Have a go of all the blades to see which one suits, but don't start of with the feathers as they are quite sharp. Also, keep the razor down low for the first couple of shaves. Best of luck, and post back in a couple of shaves with the results.

Amalgam wrote: »
    That's a nice selection, I love those Semogue handles ...

semogue2010.jpg

I bought the 2015HD during the week, and it is oh so nice. The head is smallish and compact, and just feels right on the face. The lather it makes and holds is amazing; it's lovely and creamy. I would definitely recommend this for your collection if you haven't got it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

bothyhead wrote: »
    I currently have one patch of growth about an inch to the left of my Adam's apple, and no matter what I do, I can't seem to get rid of it: I've tried tackling it from 360 degrees and stretching the skin taught. As a result, it ends up being quite sore (though I've honed my technique enough that I don't get red any more.) I'm beginning to wonder if a different type of razor will handle it.
    I would give one pass WTG and perhaps another XTG and then just leave it. I think the 100% smooth shave is an unattainable Holy Grail unless you are in the hands of a skilled Turkish barber with a straight. Scraping away at the same spot, even if you re-lather in between, just results in shaving rash. You might be conscious that the area isn't entirely smooth but no one else can see it.

Advertisement