Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brand New and Looking for Help

Options
  • 06-11-2009 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

I have only found this section in the forums by accident in the last week and reading many of the threads you might be just the people i'm hoping can help.

I shave every 2 -3 days and I get bad razor burn and pimples (ingrown hairs) on my neck always looks as if i have been partly strangled. Have tried everything spent fortunes asking for advice in the likes of boots and places.

I am looking for recommendations for a safety razor and products to try sort this out. I have been scouring shaving.ie but i dont even know where to begin. I have used a saftey razor before and it had no effect, but it was a €5 boots one, so that could be the problem right there.

I have quite course stubble and sensitive skin (a big wuss i know) but any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks
    Boom Boom
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

First off the boots razor sucks in comparison to the real thing, I'd personally recommend a Merkur Progress and a selection of blades to test out.

If you find you have sensitive skin then look specifically for the creams suitable for your skin (there's a few on shaving.ie), I find my skin can be fairly sensitive and I've tried soaps but they don't seem to go down to well.

I have found for myself that using this http://www.shaving.ie/products/Proraso-Pre-and-Post-Shaving-Cream.html before I shave really works wounders.

In addition after I shave I now use this http://www.shaving.ie/products/Speick-After-Shave-Lotion-with-Witch-Hazel.html , it contains witch hazel, I've been using it now for two weeks odd and my neck is alot less red these days and my skin feels alot better.

In relation to a brush well I've really only one main one so I'm not the best person to recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

OP I have the exact same problem as you. I get awful shaving rash on one side of my neck. Having tried everything and found that nothing works for me, as a last resort all I can advise you is to do what I do, soak a hand cloth in hot water and hold it to the area affected before you shave. This opens the pores up as wide as theyre gonna get, then shave with the grain. It won't completely eradicate the problem, but you'll see a serious improvement. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

using a brush, preparing your skin first (shower or hot towel), lathering up with the brush properly and taking your time, 2-3 times with the grain and you should be fine.

i also have sensitive skin, and found that this works perfectly for me. i use a semogue silvertip badger brush, a new blade every 4-5 shaves (favourites are derby, merkur, and surprisingly, old gilette blue blades) and TOBS or AOS creams, and haven't had one bad shave since I changed to DE shaving.

watch some of mantic59s videos on youtube, and take your time!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

I was in the exact same position about 4 years ago - I hated shaving and tried to get away with doing it about twice a week. I made the switch to DE shaving, and now look forward to shaving every day :)

From my experience, there will be three things you need:

1) Quality kit: I use a merkur futur, proraso, and feather blades. (I wouldn't recommend starting off with feathers though - try derbys or personnas first). Interestingly, quality does not mean expensive. Chris in shaving.ie has a fantastic deal on feather blades, 50 for 13.49. If you get, say, 3 shaves out of a blade (I'm sometimes get 5), then that's half a year's shaving! I haven't a clue how much the latest Gillette multi-cartridge things cost, but I'm sure it's a hell of a lot more than 13.50 for a half-year's supply.

2) Technique: This will be the biggest change for you. Again this can be split into three areas:

a) blade angle
    b) pressure
    c) direction of cut

It will take a while to perfect the art of all three of these. Four years later, I still sometimes apply too much pressure. There are plenty of tutorials on the net which will explain these better than I can. As coolmoose said check out http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59 on you youtube. Two other really good sites are http://www.badgerandblade.com and http://www.shavemyface.com

Here's a tip for you: Don't shave for a day or two, and have a good look at your face in the mirror. Study the direction in which your hair grows; even draw a picture of this growth pattern. I know it sounds silly, but I found that it really worked. Once I had it in picture form, I was surprised as to how I was incorrectly shaving against the grain in a couple of key areas (the base of my neck for instance), which is one of the key reasons for razor burn.

3) Patience: You're not going to get it right in the first couple of shaves, but I would urge you to stay with it. It will be worth it in the end! Also take your time during the process; it takes me about 25 mins do do the job right.

If you have sensitive skin then avoid aftershaves with alcohol. Like Caball, I use Speick after-shave lotion. I also find that Nivea sensitive post shave balm is amazing (about 6 quid in Tesco)

enjoy the ride :)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Boom Boom

Thanks lads,

bit the bullet and threw out the the muck i was using after saturday nights shave left me looking like edward scissor hands hugged me.

Ordered the following;

Proraso Pre and Post Shaving Cream

Merkur progress Long Handle

and instead of commiting to one I went with Two Of A Kind DE Blade Sample Pack

The razor and the cream seem to get a boards thumbs up all over.

where people tend to differ is the specific blades so I guess that a case of finding out for myself.

As I reckon it will be wednesday before I shave again i will have a bit of growth so I will take a photo of the growth pattern to help things and use a hot face towel to open the pores.

At 9:45 this morning order was confirmed at 10 it was shipped that is an interent shopping first I will be absolutley in awe of this shaving.ie if it arrives tomorrow.

Have agreed to give this project 4 - 6 months to see if there is an improvement.

Waiting excitedly on the postman;)

Thanks for all your help lads seriously appreciate it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Boom Boom, Just a quick note. The Pre and Post shaving cream cant be used as an actual cream. It is used as a base under shave cream or as a balm after shaving. I'm hoping you will have proper shaving cream/brush to use.

Congrats on your decision Boom Boom! I doubt if it will take the 4 to 6 months that you've committed yourself to. My first DE shave went horribly wrong (a bit like your scissor hands!). I forced myself to do it again the next day, which was a big improvement. I kept it up for the rest of the week, giving it a rest on the Sunday. By this time, my post shave redness had more or less vanished, and I knew I never would go back!

I believe that the biggest reason for my first night's botch job was my blade angle. I had come from Gillette land, where I used to hold my razor with the handle pointing straight down to the floor. Switching to a DE I realised that I had to now have the handle almost parallel to the floor (not quite parallel, but some where between this and 45 degrees, say 30 degrees). During the shave my hand would drop back down, causing the blade to scrap across my face. Needless to mention this caused irritation. I read a tip somewhere which really worked for me: Hold your razor between your thumb and three fingers (index, middle, and ring), next take your pinkie and place it under the handle, rather than on top. This has the effect of naturally rotating your wrist into a more suitable shaving angle. If your wrist does begin to drop, just push up a fraction with your pinkie.

I had a good look at my razor angle this morning, and realised that I don't hold it as horizontal as I thought I did - it's actually probably a tad more than 45 degrees (relative to the horizontal). My revised advice is to experiment to see what's best for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

This might sound funny but if you're like me and have ridiculously thick stubble learn how to pull your face so that you can get a nice clean shave. If you've a strong jaw like myself you'll find it awkward at times to get a good shave, moving your face around so that you can see the best position to get at hair has probably saved me about 10 minutes in the morning. I'm down to a 20 minute shave with minimal nicks now.

Second the info about the neck hair, learn how it grows especially around the adams apple and either side. I now just go against the grain around that area and it comes up irritation free.

Best of luck.

Thanks Lads,

Hooray stuff arrived today but postman was late or maybe waited till i left (Kinda ambushed him yesterday thinking he would have it, seen him in the window and ran out to the door ha ha) but i'll collect it tomorrow in the local sort office.

good work shaving.ie many thanks for the prompt dispatch if i survive first shave you will have a customer for life :D

I have a 100% Bristle Brush from the Body Shop and Macca Root and Java Shaving cream to go over the Proraso are I assumed these would do (are they any good) and didn't want to bin them as they cost me about 30 quid 3 months ago and still relatively new as I got bored and went back to the quick can shaving foam that I did bin.

Lightenbolt, I kinda have a stuby/fat neck so there is not much hassle with the adams apple thanks for the hint though.

I have noticed from reading the boards that many of you guys have multiple razors 39c's and open combs and slant bars. Can someone please enlighten me are ye just collectors or do different razors serve particular functions.

• Advertisement

Enthusiasts might be a better word than collectors. I'm sure that the various razors get used on a rotational basis, rather than sitting looking pretty on the bathroom shelf. I myself just have one razor myself at the moment, but give me time ... :)

A word on open combs and slant bars - they are not for novices. They are very aggressive beasts, I believe. Forget about them for a year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Boom Boom wrote: »
    I have noticed from reading the boards that many of you guys have multiple razors 39c's and open combs and slant bars. Can someone please enlighten me are ye just collectors or do different razors serve particular functions.

Collector, enthusiast, addict. Any of those could sum me up. Heres my collection/addiction so far.

razorcollection.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Old'n'Cranky

DonJose wrote: »
    Collector, enthusiast, addict. Any of those could sum me up. Heres my collection/addiction so far.

razorcollection.jpg

Nice collection! I'm fairly new to all this myself (a couple of months) but I'm building up quite a collection of safety razors as well as straights, both new and vintage, I got a vintage Fatboy last week and didn't close the butterfly doors properly after cleaning it. Then I shaved yesterday and ended up cutting myself in several places (ouch) I'm still hurting today!

DonJose wrote: »

er, my 'collection' consists of your top row, 2nd from the left :o

If I was to buy another one, what would be be a good one to go along with the futur? I think I'd like a progress, but would it be too similar? I suppose I should really turn my futur up from the wussy 2.5 that I have it set at, to see if I can handle a more aggressive shave.

I'd go with the Progress long handle, I had a shave with one today and find the long handle much better than the short handled progress.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Merkur-Progress-Long-Handle-510001.html

How does it compare to the futur? I have just bought a batch of feathers (should that be flock of feathers? :D) ... how would they work in a progress?

I currently have one patch of growth about an inch to the left of my Adam's apple, and no matter what I do, I can't seem to get rid of it: I've tried tackling it from 360 degrees and stretching the skin taught. As a result, it ends up being quite sore (though I've honed my technique enough that I don't get red any more.) I'm beginning to wonder if a different type of razor will handle it.

After looking at some reviews on B&B this morning, I'm now leaning more towards a HD. Does this make a good partner with feathers?

bothyhead wrote: »
    After looking at some reviews on B&B this morning, I'm now leaning more towards a HD. Does this make a good partner with feathers?

Yesterday I had my first shave with a Merkur 34c HD and a Feather, its a good safety razor but not aggressive enough. I finished off the shave with my new Long Handle Progress on setting 3 with a feather. Got a great finish. I'd highly recommend the Long Handle Progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I find I can adjust my Progress to give me a similar shave as a HD so the Progress would get my vote over a HD.

Look at the Progress or a vintage Gillette adjustable (Fat boy or slim).
    The Futur is a pretty aggressive razor so you might find the HD or
    Superspeeds too mild.

The Futur is a pretty aggressive razor so you might find the HD or
    Superspeeds too mild.

Really? That will be interesting, the Futur is the only DE I've ever used (for about 4 years now) No wonder I took lumps out of myself the first couple of times I used it!

I was all set for a Progress until I read on B&B that it sometimes it can have calibration issues; not that having absolute calibration really matters, I suppose.

So, two recommendations for the Progress, plus I can dial it up for those stubborn bits, or down for those days where I need a gentler shave. What's it like for manoeuvrability in the more awkward areas?

• Advertisement

Really? That will be interesting, the Futur is the only DE I've ever used (for about 4 years now) No wonder I took lumps out of myself the first couple of times I used it!

I was all set for a Progress until I read on B&B that it sometimes it can have calibration issues; not that having absolute calibration really matters, I suppose.

So, two recommendations for the Progress, plus I can dial it up for those stubborn bits, or down for those days where I need a gentler shave. What's it like for manoeuvrability in the more awkward areas?

Have a read of this as it compares how aggressive different razors are.
    It also highlights how a Progress on 3 is similar to a HD, which is my
    experience as well - I'd also say a long handled Progress on 2 is the same
    as the shorter Progress on 3.

Just make sure you line up the line and the triangle on the Progress
    on the one side as per this picture

I find the smaller heads on the HD or Progress a lot more manoeuvrable
    than my Futur.

That aggressiveness comparison chart is really useful. It looks like with a new Progress and my existing Futur, I'll have the whole range covered.

Good info - thanks a million dude

Double holy sh!t batman

What have I entered into aggressive manoeuvrability calibration issues I think i will have to leave the bathroom door open or the missus might get concerned. my shaving experience is not going to be a straight up and down motion any more is it?

Don Jose that's a lot of razors man i'm beginning to get a bit of a Sweeney Todd vibe off you ;)

Collected my hardware this morning thanks Chris. Some weight in that Progress when I took it out though not for the limp wristed ehh

Will report back tomorrow to let everyone know how I get on.

I'm going to have to read how to calibrate it first so I don't gut myself on the first go.

Cheers Lads

It looks like the 'calibration' issues were due to people putting the top of the razor on the wrong way round. Look at the image in the link that Gran Hermano posted to see the correct way.
    Boom Boom wrote: »
    my shaving experience is not going to be a straight up and down motion any more is it?

You're a fast learner :D

Just after reading a thread on shaveMyFace.com where Mer "Mergress" mentioned that current production of Progress's seem to be more aggressive than the older ones. Towards the end of September, he finally figured out why this was the case and was able to adjust it. There's also talk that the long-handled version is more aggressive than the short. How are you guys with the newer long-handled version finding it?

After looking at the chart that Gran Hermano pointed me at today, I'm going to try a shave tomorrow with my Futur dialled back to 1, which, according to the chard, should be even more aggressive than the Progress on 5. I think that I tried it on 1 recently when I first tried a feather, and that it removed very little hair. Anyway, tomorrow will tell.

The extra weight and length of the long handled makes it more aggressive than the short handled Progress in my experience. Both of mine have no problem with hair removal.

For comparison I use my Fatboy around 6, Futur on 3, Short Progress on 3, Long Progress on 2. I find the HD and Superspeeds a tad mild.

If your liking the Futur set to 5 maybe check the Merkur long handled barber pole slant or open comb. I find I get a better shave paying closer attention to razor angle than I do doing a Spinal Tap and setting the adjustables to 11.
    :)

I normally run the Futur at 2.5 for 95% of my work, and at 3.5 for finishing off some tough areas on my kneck.

Is your Futur on 3 equivalent to, or more aggressive than Progress Long on 2?

I dialled by Futur back to 1 this morning and had a very pleasant shave with it - I was a bit surprised actually. My final against the grain pass was much smoother than usual, with the final result being just as good - though I did have to turn it up to 4 for my problem neck areas.

I began to think why I had been running it at 2.5 all along. As I have become more experienced with wet shaving, I am taking more reduction passes rather than trying to hack it all off in the first go. Obviously when I first got my DE, I wasn't aware of this, and probably tried to get baby-butt-smooth on my first pass; hence why I turned the Futur up.

All in all, I'm very impressed with the milder, but just as effective, shave. I think I will buy myself a progress after all. Now I just have to decide between the standard or long handled version. I've small hands, so maybe the standard version will do?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

I dialled by Futur back to 1 this morning and had a very pleasant shave with it - I was a bit surprised actually. My final against the grain pass was much smoother than usual, with the final result being just as good - though I did have to turn it up to 4 for my problem neck areas.

I began to think why I had been running it at 2.5 all along. As I have become more experienced with wet shaving, I am taking more reduction passes rather than trying to hack it all off in the first go. Obviously when I first got my DE, I wasn't aware of this, and probably tried to get baby-butt-smooth on my first pass; hence why I turned the Futur up.

All in all, I'm very impressed with the milder, but just as effective, shave. I think I will buy myself a progress after all. Now I just have to decide between the standard or long handled version. I've small hands, so maybe the standard version will do?

I think I have mentioned it before but my typical shave is with a Progress and Feather on a mild setting below 2. I get a great quick shave, no irritation, I can go against the grain if needs be. When there is time I do dial in some more aggression and use a Gillette green..

• Advertisement

Well lads,

3 shaves in and i can say i am impressed and will never buy another plastic packet razor again. the presaro cream is great and it clears nasal congestion too

using the gilette 7 o'clock blade on a number 2 setting.

The first shave took nearly 40 mins and there were a few nicks I wont lie I got a bit worried but didn't look as bad as Kenny Egan over in the other thread :D

Last shave took 20 mins so a vast improvement and i dont feel that burn afterwards the nicks and bumps have all calmed down too not completely gone but getting there.

Then after it is all done ice cold cloth to close the pores and stem the blood.

Then just if you thought you were not awake the Speick with witch hazel well sweet mother of jaysus i'm awake i'm awake now stop your bleeding stinging:eek::eek:
    probably a good time to state i have never used after shave before the last thing i used was nivea after shave balm big difference.

But big differences and it's being commented on so that makes me happy.

Chris thanks for all your help you have a customer for life. In saying that now i have a question for you the brush I have is 100% pure bristle from the body shop but bristles come out of it when i am lathering up is this normal with shaving brushes?

Once again thanks to everyone who helped, I have been ranting to anyone who would listen over the weekend to get on and read this forum and get themselves a proper razor a man's razor to go with me bit of stick in the shed for stirring paint ;)
    thanks lads

Advertisement