Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor tax fine and confiscation

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Well done Vectra, state the obvious, I know the law. People make mistakes like expecting a renewal letter...life.

you mean like waiting 30 days to get a renewal notice??

mark1974 wrote: »
    Dont hold your breath.
    never did and never will drive with no tax/insurance.
    So go back to your corner and rest in peace. :rolleyes:

Make up your mind Vectra :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

My mind is made up
    Would you like to know where I was when I park my car the next day??
    Let me enlighten you.
    Parked it in the car park opposite my Insurance brokers office to go and collect my cert/disc,

Was I using it for 30 days untaxed?
    Not a hope
    Did I backdate the tax to when I bought the car?
    of course I did,,
    When exactly did I buy the car?
    25th November 2001..
    So
    I actually paid for tax when I didnt even own the car.;)

Did the same in 2005 when I bought a car on Oct.23rd.
    Taxed it for the month of October as well
    Why have you got a problem with that? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Why oh why, is this board full of preachers?

The most simple topic can't be discussed without someone having to make some absurdly judgmental comment in order to give themselves some form of sad one-upmanship.

Utterly pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

daRobot wrote: »

The most simple topic can't be discussed without someone having to make some absurdly judgmental comment in order to give themselves some form of sad one-upmanship.

Utterly pathetic.

Because it makes them feel important,people who preach on the internet are rarely listened to in real life - bless them :D

All they need is a hug.

OP pay the fine and be done with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

I can see the day when we'll have SORN in this country, 'specially with ANPR waiting in the wings.

Utterly pathetic.

I dont see anything "Judgemental" in the case of someone obviously blatantly driving around with no tax after 30 days.
    Do you? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭omega man

In my case i bought my car last month from a dealer and have not received the VRC yet. The cars last tax disc expired last June so can i tax the car now without the VRC and from when i bought it only???

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

omega man wrote: »
    In my case i bought my car last month from a dealer and have not received the VRC yet. The cars last tax disc expired last June so can i tax the car now without the VRC and from when i bought it only???
    You'll only be liable for tax from the start of the month when you bought the car, but you'll need the VLC to tax it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

And as far as I know there is nothing in law that says when you post it, its no longer your responsibility.

.....hmmm, that certainly may have been the case in the past, but with the recent court decision (in the midlands iirc....), on the subject of posted Fixed Penalty Notices, and the defence's being entered by Defendants of 'non-receipt' of the Notices, and the requirement claimed by the Defendants that the poster (DPP/The State) provide proof-of-receipt.....(aka, registered delivery signature..), the judge ruled that proof of posting was sufficient, (ergo, competence in An Post is assumed), and therefore, the Notices were valid, and enforced, and penalties dished out (cue tears and €€€ to a bunch of people........)

M'lud.........:)

Point is: that argument that you are entitled to a renewal notice (which I agree with, btw...), but you claiming to not have received it, is no longer valid, because of the new ruling. It also means - cue trumpets - a fortune saved by DPP in not having to register, or pay serving Garda, to drive around to peoples houses with them. Now, isn't that an amazing coincidence ??:rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

vectra wrote: »
    I dont see anything "Judgemental" in the case of someone obviously blatantly driving around with no tax after 30 days.
    Do you? :rolleyes:

You don't seem to get the irony of what you've just written.

You don't seem to get the irony of what you've just written.

Really?
    or maybe you simply do not want to understand it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

went for a short walk around a small town, and I spotted 7 cars on 2 streets with tax that expired more than a year ago!!!!!!!! :mad:

vectra wrote: »
    Really?
    or maybe you simply do not want to understand it

So you wrote it intentionally with the objective of making yourself look foolish then?

Seems that you've achieved your goal in that case.

So you wrote it intentionally with the objective of making yourself look foolish then?

Seems that you've achieved your goal in that case.
    Discuss the issues by all means, but personal insults will result in a week off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭omega man

Anan1 wrote: »
    You'll only be liable for tax from the start of the month when you bought the car, but you'll need the VLC to tax it.

So whilst im waiting for the VLC i have to drive untaxed, am i then liable for fine/points/summons etc if stopped??

So whilst im waiting for the VLC i have to drive untaxed, am i then liable for fine/points/summons etc if stopped??
    Technically, yes. That said, if you have proof that you've just purchased the car then a Garda will probably give you a bit of leeway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

variation on a theme: if you're driving someone else's untaxed car - who gets the penalty ? Driver or reg'd owner ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    variation on a theme: if you're driving someone else's untaxed car - who gets the penalty ? Driver or reg'd owner ?

Driver

Advertisement