Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor tax fine and confiscation

Options
  • 04-11-2009 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

My motortax is out by 30 days and I got caught last night for it, the guard said a 60euro fine but I didn't get the detail on how it should be paid, he mentioned a summons!! does anyone know the procedure.

He also mentioned that if the motortax had been out for more than 2 months he would have taken the car there and then, is 2 months now the maximum time without motortax.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Sounds like he was just using some common sense. There could be a very legitimate reason for it being a month out but2 months would be pulling the p1ss a bit so therefore he'd take more action then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

You'll get a fixed penalty notice in the post.......pay it prompty, and you'll avoid a court appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

You'll get a fixed penalty notice in the post.......pay it prompty, and you'll avoid a court appearance.

And keep the tax up to date. No excuse for tax being out 30 days to be honest :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 64,826 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Technically, the Garda can confiscate the car if the tax is out by 2 months. In practice they tend not to do this, but if you're known to them, if you're rude, or if your tax is out by a long time, you might not be so lucky :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭omega man

What do you do if you just bought a car and are waiting for the VRC? Can i tax the car (from when i bought it) without the VRC? The tax on the car expired last June and i bought it last month (from a dealer).

• Advertisement

omega man wrote: »
    What do you do if you just bought a car and are waiting for the VRC? Can i tax the car (from when i bought it) without the VRC? The tax on the car expired last June and i bought it last month (from a dealer).

Happened me one time
    Bought a car.
    Drove it to town next day and parked it
    came back and there were 3 tickets on my windscreen
    No Tax
    No Tax displayed.
    No insurance disc displayed

Went to the station to explain and was told it sohuld not be on the road until in order.
    Garda that slapped me was understanding and told me to appeal it to the super explaining the circumstances.
    all charges were dropped with a letter saying to be more careful in future.

vectra wrote: »
    Happened me one time
    Bought a car.
    No Tax
    No Tax displayed.

Went to the station to explain and was told it sohuld not be on the road until in order.
    Garda that slapped me was understanding and told me to appeal it to the super explaining the circumstances.

Interesting story.....so, the muppets expect us all to wait for a fortnight till the cert arrives from Shannon?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Interesting story.....so, the muppets expect us all to wait for a fortnight till the cert arrives from Shannon?:rolleyes:
    I don't understand your thinking, Traffic Cop walks by car with no Tax or Insurance, and keeps walking? I wanna live where you live!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Someone doing their job is not a muppet.

Also bearing in mind that the "muppet" in question then proceeded to advise vectra how to get the fines quashed, I think you're being a bit harsh...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just to clarify, it's 'more than two months'. so, two full month have to had elapsed.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

I got clarification from the guards today.

Anything over 2 months and the guard has the legal right to confiscate the car there and then, it's upto the guard.

Motor tax that's out of date will result in a 60euro fine, the fine comes as a "fixed penalty notice", posted to you, which can be payed in any post office. If this is not paid then it'll be a court appearance.

And on the comment "No excuse for tax being out 30 days to be honest " there are lots of reasons, like out of the country or moved house and not getting the renewal letter, very easy indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

And on the comment "No excuse for tax being out 30 days to be honest " there are lots of reasons, like out of the country or moved house and not getting the renewal letter, very easy indeed.
    So keep the car on private property until it's taxed and there won't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

And keep the tax up to date. No excuse for tax being out 30 days to be honest :rolleyes:
    mind you dont fall off that high horse you're up on there,it's along way down;)

No there aint.
    No Tax means it is not supposed to be on public road
    Simple.
    dutchcat wrote: »

Dont hold your breath.
    never did and never will drive with no tax/insurance.
    So go back to your corner and rest in peace. :rolleyes:

Ah, that old chestnut again.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

Dont hold your breath.
    So go back to your corner and rest in peace. :rolleyes:[/quote]
    sure you're a great fella altogether,when tou arrive in the real world give us a shout d...head

sure you're a great fella altogether,when tou arrive in the real world give us a shout d...head
    Banned for a week for personal abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Whitewater-AGS

and not getting the renewal letter, very easy indeed.

Oh yes the best excuse of all, since when is it the responsibility of the motor tax office to tell you when the tax on the car your driving is up:confused:

I thought that was part of law - once you've posted it, your responsibility ends. It's then the receiver's problem.

-Chris- wrote: »
    Someone doing their job is not a muppet.

Also bearing in mind that the "muppet" in question then proceeded to advise vectra how to get the fines quashed, I think you're being a bit harsh...

I was referring to the slow return of documents to new owners etc from shannon and the "sometimes" over reaction from guards (some of whom are muppets) when they encounter a person with no tax who may have had the car just a week or two.
    And sure Harsh is my middle name - so please, mod properly and no name calling (calling me harsh - ;)):D -

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    Banned for a week for personal abuse

ahhh here, swingin' WAY too much weight here, he has'nt really abused anyone.:confused::o

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Whitewater-AGS

I thought that was part of law - once you've posted it, your responsibility ends. It's then the receiver's problem.

Your taking it up wrong, saying the motor tax office never sent you out a renewal is no excuse for not having tax its up to the driver to check/know when their tax is up.

And as far as I know there is nothing in law that says when you post it, its no longer your responsibility.

And sure Harsh is my middle name - so please, mod properly and no name calling (calling me harsh - ;)):D -

Niceharshfella, is it? Can I see some hidentification please?

ahhh here, swingin' WAY too much weight here, he has'nt really abused anyone.:confused::o

Calling someone a D*ckhead isn't abuse? Don't backseat mod please NHF...

Easy Tiger..........Easy there., Breath in, and out, in and out............

Your taking it up wrong, saying the motor tax office never sent you out a renewal is no excuse for not having tax its up to the driver to check/know when their tax is up.

Definitely - driving in a public place without a valid tax disk displayed (or whatever the offence is) is totally separate from any other postal issue.

And as far as I know there is nothing in law that says when you post it, its no longer your responsibility.

It think it may be contract law rather than criminal law, or I may be remembering it wrong - the postal rule. It's been a while...

I rescind my comment :P:D

Easy Tiger..........Easy there., Breath in, and out, in and out............

Rawr

Purrrrrrr

Rawr

Purrrrrr

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

Happened me one time
    Bought a car.
    No Tax
    No Tax displayed.

Dont hold your breath.
    So go back to your corner and rest in peace. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Make up your mind Vectra :rolleyes:

Rawr

Purrrrrrr

Rawr

Purrrrrr

:D

you pussy..........:D

just kiddin witcha........no offence intended as ever:)

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

No there aint.
    No Tax means it is not supposed to be on public road
    Simple.

Well done Vectra, state the obvious, I know the law. People make mistakes like expecting a renewal letter...life.

• Advertisement

1. Calling another poster a d...head has always been a bannable offence.
    2. If you disagree with a mod's decision then feel free to PM them but don't try to start a discussion about it in the thread.

Advertisement