Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2010 Pre-Orders Up.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

-Chris- wrote: »
    Salesman's rule number one: Always make sure you're talking to the decision maker :p

Lost him business though didn't it. I am the decision maker mostly, I pick the cars I would like and present my request to the company. If I didn't decide on a VRs then I would not be sitting in front of him.

He was more interested in dealing with another guy who walked in the door behind me, no doubt was in before and ripe for a deposit.

Well, " a bird in the hand and all that "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Fair comment, you can throw all the rules out the window if they're losing you sales!

"Everyone's a buyer" as my old boss used to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Nothing complicated to that one - if the trade-in has dropped in value due to the drop in price of the new car, then you drop the price of the trade-in!

No my problem is with the amount of uncontrolable variables that are still there at the moment.My problem is in all honesty knowbody out there truley knows the value of any used car come jan 2010.You can have an educated guess all you want but all its takes if for one price reduction and you have lost €1000, just my opinion, but i think there are still too many unknowns out there, and people are rusing into deals as they havnt sold a new car in 4 months.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Salesman's rule number one: Always make sure you're talking to the decision maker :p

TBH, in his position I'd have called you too, if only to say "hello, I have some info, but I'll call you back with more when I have it". Odds are you went to two or more garages, and if only one calls you back to say "here's the latest news to tide you over until the full information is available" then that's the one that you'll trust - you'll be bitching about the others for not calling you...

Just to give a bit of balance... ;):D

2 months ago i went to Frank Keanes to look at an 06 320d M-Sport and it was just sold that day. the salesman took my details and said he would call the minute another became available. i told him not to waste his time ringing me with anythin other than 06 or 07 318d or 320d and they had to be M-Sport (girlfriends requests :D)

well last week he rang me to say he will have one in this week and was just giving me notice that it was coming, and last night he rang to say its in the show room ready to be view so were going over Sat to look at it.

if she likes it i will have no problem buying from this guy as he made an effort and kept up in the loop, although the price has to be right too :P

anyway, just backing up your point there Chris!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

To the lads in the trade.....
    Is the lack of finance being made available by the banks not bolloking it for you or is the situation inproving?
    Someone mentioned to me before that they wernt lending on anything over 3 years old.

Oh, and good luck to all still working in the business, hope it picks up for ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

According to my local paper Ford have 5 million worth of credit to give out for anyone looking to buy in the coming week or so for 2010. Only 200 cars worth but its a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The Subaru dealer told me that Subaru only got 50 cars to sell for Ireland in 2008 and 70 in 2009. Last week, he said, the MD of Subaru Ireland was in Japan trying to get their numbers increased to 200 per annum.

How much truth is in that. You could read into it: You need to order a car now because there are only a few going to be offered for sale.

Or you can read into it: The Japanese do not feel like we are big fish in the motoring industry when our Subaru dealerships are tiny and not big sellers and most of our Subaru's on the roads were imported second hand from Japan anyway.

Also, Subaru are not releasing their 2010 new model pricing until the 1st or 2nd week in December for 2010 orders. Well, sorry guys but that is too late for most people so best of luck with 2010 deliveries in Jan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Berty wrote: »
    Lost him business though didn't it. I am the decision maker mostly, I pick the cars I would like and present my request to the company. If I didn't decide on a VRs then I would not be sitting in front of him.

Do you sign the cheques? Will you be authorising the payment of the car? If no to them, them your not the decision maker. Your simply the driver picking out his car, and getting pricing - something 90% of company car drivers do themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Berty wrote: »
    The Subaru dealer told me that Subaru only got 50 cars to sell for Ireland in 2008 and 70 in 2009. Last week, he said, the MD of Subaru Ireland was in Japan trying to get their numbers increased to 200 per annum.

How much truth is in that. You could read into it: You need to order a car now because there are only a few going to be offered for sale.

Or you can read into it: The Japanese do not feel like we are big fish in the motoring industry when our Subaru dealerships are tiny and not big sellers and most of our Subaru's on the roads were imported second hand from Japan anyway.

Also, Subaru are not releasing their 2010 new model pricing until the 1st or 2nd week in December for 2010 orders. Well, sorry guys but that is too late for most people so best of luck with 2010 deliveries in Jan.

Since the manufacturers have to provide cars to Irish distributors at a lower pre-tax price relative to many other parts of Europe, numbers can be limited compared with other markets. We do not have a big population either. At the end of the day if previous years sales were low, why would they suddenly provide an unlimited supply. They manufacture so many cars and engines and have to work within that output.

And in their defense it is kind of hard to plan for 2010 with a budget imminent. The last one really drove another nail in the motor trades coffin, so once bitten twice shy. Ultimately new car prices are strongly influenced by supply & demand, with margins tightened in tougher times in order to attract sales.

And where car salespeople are concerned as D'Boy says if you do not sign the cheques, most assume you are something of a dreamer and apportion their time and efforts accordingly. In fact when I was buying my Subaru and paying cash (in a buoyant market), the salesman at the largest dealer in Dublin didn't even get back to me with any costings (probably because I look a lot younger than my years and assumed it wasn't worth his while). I got the principal of the next dealership, he gave me the cost to change figure on the spot, I beat him down a little and we did the deal there and then. No messing. But then again guys in the business for years and years, know not to judge a book by its cover and treat everyone as a potential sale. Many of the younger ones who were glorified order takers in the boom, haven't the experience to know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

fwiw, the company I work for has a motor-related business as well (commercial's) and we have had orders cancelled during the year for vehicles, solely because the client(s) could not get finance.

No shortage of people (at the right price of course), no shortage of stock (!), no big leadtimes at the moment........but banks have completely shutdown - even to big operators (one of our clients runs 130+ of our units....)

Not good.

Budget ? Emission-based tax will, say.......double ? The Greens ? (I don't think they'll get asked, actually........)

Oh, and Carbon Tax - complete and utter con-job. For a start, you'll all be moving to Aldi/Lidl, 'cos the first thing to go up will be............food. It doesn't arrive on the shelves by using one of these: http://technologizer.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/390955750_6c78eb96dd.jpg

:)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Sales people generally can tell the organ grinder from the monkey when it comes to sales, I know I can anyway. (sorry Berty:o)

Advertisement