Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it dangerous to dabble?

Options
  • 03-11-2009 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello,

I am busy reading voraciulsy all sorts of material on paranormal ireland (I was recently given a book on the subject). I have noticed that I have become so jumpy and imagine I am seeing little flitting shadows out the corners of my eyes etc. You all sound really informed on this board and I am just wondering if it is posible that someone can (unwittingly) get into a spot of trouble merely researching the paranormal?

I realise this probably sounds senseless but i suppose I really am just a scaredy cat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭john 08

hi ya. i used to have the same problem when i started out visiting haunted locations ;) its all in the head really. ur obviously thinking about it and ur mind is basically playing tricks on you. its like after watching a movie like the exorcist or excorism on emily rose .etc.... u ll be scared and feeling a bit anxious after watching it, lol. try not to think about it too much and you ll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

You're just a scaredy cat! I'd say if you took someone who never heard of ghosts, goblins, etc., and put them in a haunted house for the night, they'd be grand and wouldn't experience anything unusual. Stick someone with an interest in the paranormal in the same house, and every creaking floorboard, noisey pipe, and old painting become evidence of ghosts, and they end up running out of the place.

In short, your imagination is acting up.

Watch a scary movie and you'll probably be a bit apprehensive about walking into a dark room on your own. Same thing is probably at work here.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Even though I am big into paranormal stuff and have strong beliefs in certain areas, I agree with Dave! You are allowing yourself to be a bit of a scaredy cat. Reading up on the paranormal will no more harm you than reading up on plane crashes will make one land on your head.

But the power of suggestion is strong, and if your mind is focused on paranormal things, thats what youll be thinking of the minute you hear a noise or see a shadow. The corner of the eyes thing has been discussed here before, and I remember someone saying there is a physical cause, something to do with the way the eye works.

That said it is possible to come across stuff you cant explain, or maybe have experiences that rattle you. I think if theres any danger, thats where it lies. That psychologically it can be harmful, and youve got to be able for that. No point going ghost hunting and then not sleeping for the rest of the year.

Some believe that if you disturb spirits they will follow you home and haunt you and generally make life unpleasant. Even though I am open to their existence :) I really dont hold with that theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 scribeX

Thanks for your responses - the way you put it really does sound level-headed, watch a scary film and be scared. Or the bit dave said about someone interested in paranormal perhaps reading too much into a situation. Obviously I just wouldnt have the nerve to actually go actively looking for a ghost (lol) being frightened out of my wits by just reading a book is enough of a fear factor for me. I dont know how you do it - john - visiting haunted places! Do you still visit haunted spots? I wish I could leave it at that but I have this compulsion to know more? So not only a scaredy-cat but a curious one at that. Oryx what you said about some beliefs, about spirits following you home and making life generally unpleasant, what exactly do they do? Would they physcially hurt a person or simply scare them senseless?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

Me and my mate went down tonight to get some photography snaps and try use long exposure etc (failed miserably). You're deffo bound to think somethings gonna happen when your stuck alone in a dark path with only the moonlight, trees, and a scary old monastary building:eek:

Might take a look back at those pics :)

• Advertisement

scribeX wrote: »
    Oryx what you said about some beliefs, about spirits following you home and making life generally unpleasant, what exactly do they do? Would they physcially hurt a person or simply scare them senseless?
    I was making the point that that wont happen. I only mentioned it as its a belief you might come across.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

As Max Van Sydow said, in not so many words, when quizzed about the "strange" occurences during the filming of the Exorcist, if people die during the filming a comedy, its considered bad luck. If people die during the filming of a movie about the devil, its assumed its the work of Satan!

I am glad that wont happen Oryx - its a small relief! Althoguh I wouldnt actively go ghost hunting (too afraid) do people who do this protect themselves in any way from danger - perhaps wear a special amulet or anything that an ametuer wouldnt know to use and thereby get into danger (unwittingly)?

where are those photos pistonsvox?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

where are those photos pistonsvox?
    my friend has them on his camera and is pretty busy atm! Haven't had a chance to look at em yet

• Advertisement

I am glad that wont happen Oryx - its a small relief! Althoguh I wouldnt actively go ghost hunting (too afraid) do people who do this protect themselves in any way from danger - perhaps wear a special amulet or anything that an ametuer wouldnt know to use and thereby get into danger (unwittingly)?
    Nope.

The only thing you have to fear is fear itself. :)

Oryx wrote: »
    Nope.

The only thing you have to fear is fear itself. :)
    And badgers !

Dave! wrote: »
    And badgers !
    Well if youre getting into wildlife youve got Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!

But seriously, OP, you sound like you are easily spooked. Which makes me wonder why on earth you want to get into all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Some people like to be spooked .... I know I do. Just doesnt happen too often.

Yes, I am so easily spooked as I really really think there is "something" there and I dont know if its good or bad. (LIke we agreed, a scardey-cat.)
    To be completely honest, I dont really want to get into it at all but some strange things have happened. My mom died very unexpecedly earlier this year and she was only 58 - because if my fear of the unknown (an possibly over active imagination) I really dont want to contact her or anything but am still grieving so maybe this can explain things. At the same time - two other strange things happened and one of them was a book delivered to my post box (which is a 1/4 mile down a rural track from my house) called Paranormal Ireland. Perhaps I just mis-read things or interpreted things wrong, but I wondered if it was some sort of a "sign".
    So, it feels as if I am being dragged along a bit.
    6th - you say you enjoy being spooked - wish I had your courage - and its happening often to me but I keep dulling it down saying its my imagination, its because of what I have been reading, etc as in all the previous posts. Just afraid (again) that I am inviting something in by acknowledging "somethings" presence?

Just afraid (again) that I am inviting something in by acknowledging "somethings" presence?
    If you keep reading, you will eventually come across the term 'psychic self defence'. It can consist of all kinds of ritual and the use of amulets etc, but basically what it comes down to, is having the belief that you are stronger than anything 'out there' that could possibly wish you ill. And you are.

Sometimes it helps to use your existing faith, or the belief that someone in spirit is protecting you, but essentially it comes from you. Nothing can harm you. (Frighten you maybe :D, but harm you, no )

Thank you Oryx - you're amazing and have made this so much easier for me! If you were in the room you would warrant a great big hug! x

Can I have a hug too?

Can I have a hug too?
    Sure, but no punching in the clinches.

Glad you feel a bit better, op.

Can I have a hug too?

Hugs all around - when I get off this ride :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I wouldn't risk it to find out

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Yes, I am so easily spooked as I really really think there is "something" there and I dont know if its good or bad. (LIke we agreed, a scardey-cat.)
    To be completely honest, I dont really want to get into it at all but some strange things have happened. My mom died very unexpecedly earlier this year and she was only 58 - because if my fear of the unknown (an possibly over active imagination) I really dont want to contact her or anything but am still grieving so maybe this can explain things. At the same time - two other strange things happened and one of them was a book delivered to my post box (which is a 1/4 mile down a rural track from my house) called Paranormal Ireland. Perhaps I just mis-read things or interpreted things wrong, but I wondered if it was some sort of a "sign".
    So, it feels as if I am being dragged along a bit.
    6th - you say you enjoy being spooked - wish I had your courage - and its happening often to me but I keep dulling it down saying its my imagination, its because of what I have been reading, etc as in all the previous posts. Just afraid (again) that I am inviting something in by acknowledging "somethings" presence?

Very sorry to hear about your mum scribeX, you have my sympathy. I'm also very interested in the supernatural/paranormal and I have quite a few books about ghosts and lots of scary stories that are really quite frightening. I wonder if there are very many haunted buildings/sites in Tallaght?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

I'd say it might only be the adrenaline, excitement, and preconceived notions you have in your head that are making you all jumpy and seeing (possibly imaginary) things out of the corner of your eye. I'm not saying youre mental or nothing, or that you're prone to imagining stuff, but it's unreal what the mind can conjure up for you when it's imagining the worst case scenarios. You have full control over what enters your own personal space, so keep that in mind, and exercise that control. There are shovelloads of people who have researched the paranormal casually or seriously down through the years, and many of them didn't report seeing any weird sh1t they couldn't explain later or straightaway.

You're grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

I've been into all sorts of spooky and strange stuff since I was a small fella and I've gone from weeks to years and back where I didn't sense anything,then sense/think I saw a fair few weird things in the space of a fortnight again. Your frame of mind has a lot to do with it,based on my experience. When I was reading up like a mad thing on that Enfield Poltergeist story a few months ago, I was jumping around like a dope at the slightest sensation in the room after reading a couple of chapters. I just said to myself, "Look. This is all your head because youve been spooked a bit by the book. Now cop on". That worked a dream. :D

I'd say it might only be the adrenaline, excitement, and preconceived notions you have in your head that are making you all jumpy and seeing (possibly imaginary) things out of the corner of your eye. I'm not saying youre mental or nothing, or that you're prone to imagining stuff, but it's unreal what the mind can conjure up for you when it's imagining the worst case scenarios. You have full control over what enters your own personal space, so keep that in mind, and exercise that control. There are shovelloads of people who have researched the paranormal casually or seriously down through the years, and many of them didn't report seeing any weird sh1t they couldn't explain later or straightaway.

You're grand

That is exactly the kind of reassurance that I have been hoping to find, but now my question comes back to the danger element. How do some people become "possessed" then - surely they did not mean for that to happen - were they simply ghosthunting and got in over their heads? At first I was just afraid of being hurt (physically) by a spirit - then I appeased myself that they could not adhere to me - wish I had not read the chapter now on possession!
    ps I still see the little flitting things from teh corner of my eyes but think that it happens mostly late at night when I am really really tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭john 08

some1 gettin possessed is extremely rare to be honest. ive been reading a few stories during the week about ouija boards. some of the stories were really disturbing. if you want a bit of reassuring on it, read this thread. it ll explain everything u need to know http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2281983318/m/1431980138/p/1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Don't be afraid dude. Ghosts don't do anything to you except scare you. Think of them as a monster behind super-strong, metal-reinforced perspex. He might wail, scream and throw himself at the wall but he can't touch you. The worst he'll do is freak you out.

If you need reassurance, have some comforts around you. Ghost-busters theme tune ready to play on your sound system. Easy access to the light-switch. Rosary beads combined with the knowledge that all ghosts are religious or at least believe in an afterlife. Your mother on speed-dial.

It's also important to stay away from hallucinagenic drugs. I mean it. No wacky-backy or shrooms. A bottle of buckfast can be good for calming the nerves should they become jittery.

And remember, if you see a ghost, don't be afraid. They probably don't give a fúck about you. And if you're feeling confident, sneak up behind him and go "booh!".

Most importantly, don't be afraid.

john 08 wrote: »
    some1 gettin possessed is extremely rare to be honest. ive been reading a few stories during the week about ouija boards. some of the stories were really disturbing. if you want a bit of reassuring on it, read this thread. it ll explain everything u need to know http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2281983318/m/1431980138/p/1

Wow - that was SOME reading! Thanks for the link - what do you make of it - that it is hard work to get "possessed" it cannot just happen! Whew!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Don't be afraid dude. Ghosts don't do anything to you except scare you. Think of them as a monster behind super-strong, metal-reinforced perspex.

This bit reminded me of 13 Ghosts.

On a more serious note, there's nothing to really be scared of... granted, you may get startled every now and again, but it tends to happen when you're going around a really dark place with nothing more than torches.

• Advertisement

Ha ha - you will laugh at me Stormkeeper - I havent even gone anywhere yet - not a remote dark place anywhere - this fear so far is only in my head - and I havent even got to the "real stuff" yet. xx

Advertisement