Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Training has really been going to pot as of late with the personal life really getting in the way...On tuesday I just couldn't face going out with my dodgy ankle with the sleet tipping down. Yesterday i went to the AIR gig at the olympia straight after work and the 8 pints of Guinness and 5 hours sleep looked like it was going to put pay to todays running too.
    However during an hour long battle with the couch after work the athlete in me managed to win out and I got out for 5 miles easy in 43 minutes. Despite last nights excesses this was easier and faster than monday... I plan no going out this weekend, so hopefully I wll get in 3 runs over the next few days. As a bare minimum I want to clear the 200 mile barrier by sunday (another 16 or so miles I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

menoscemo wrote: »
    However during an hour long battle with the couch after work

strongly suggest going straight back out the door when you get home. thats what i do, i would never get back up if i sat down. plus when you get home you can sit down have dinner and a treat guilt free

kennyb3 wrote: »
    strongly suggest going straight back out the door when you get home. thats what i do, i would never get back up if i sat down. plus when you get home you can sit down have dinner and a treat guilt free

Normally I do, and when the long days come in, I usually get changed leaving work and stop off at the park on the way home. However today I actually had no intention of going out running at all, but managed to convince my self whilst lying on the couch :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

menoscemo wrote: »
    However today I actually had no intention of going out running at all, but managed to convince my self whilst lying on the couch :pac:

In that case i salute you, you ve a stronger will than me. all my runs are first thing - either after work or in the morning at the weekend to avoid that.:D

My left ankle really hasn't been feeling right for weeks now, at a certain point in every run I have felt a bit of a twinge but have ran on anyway...last night after a weight session i went for 5 on the threadmill but gave up after two, it just didn't feel right.
    I am at work this morning but all dressed up for a good run in Tymon park (was planning go in about an hour) but the ankle is really stiff. Anyway I have just called my Physio and he is going to see me on monday. i guess the prudent thing is not to run again at least until after i can get a diagnosis. It is just one of those niggles that allows you to train through but at the same stage won't go away. All my sessions recently have been slow as i am afraid of doing anything fast on it. I might have to give up on the 5k on Patricks weekend as i never like racing when i am not 100% fit and planning on setting a good PB. If so i will hopefully do the one in UCD a fortnight later.

• Advertisement

So i visited the Physio today and the diganosis is the same as the last time I went to the Physio (about a month before the marathon), posterior Tibialis muscle strain (except in the other foot). The strain is in a slightly different area but the stretches and excercises are basically the same before as recovery. It is not a bad as the last time, so I am allowed a few runs on Grass before next weeks follow up visit.

Lessons to be learnt:
    1.My physio (Ciaran Fitz- excellent by the way) once again commented that my legs are as stiff as a poker. I really need to do more stretching regularly. I have already made up a home-made foam roller with a camping mat and 5 spaghetti tins and intend rolling the clafs out after runs.
    2. I possibly need a bit more support from my runners especially when running over uneven surfaces (footpaths and the like). I am a very slight under-pronator and while My Nike Pegasus are perfect for park running and racing, I need a bit more support when running round the paths in the dark of winter. I will look to invest in a pair of Asics 2140 or similar.

Anyway it is going to be a quiet week running wise, but with the slightly longer days I hope to get in a few short runs over the gras pitches in Tymon and hopefully a slightly longer one on saturday. I have already paid for the KBC 5k on the 14th, so I will probably run it, but the one in UCD a fortnight later will be more of a target race.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

At least it's not too serious and you know what you need to do, stretching is an annoyance but I have forced myself to do 5 minutes after each run and do a proper session twice a week...not as many niggles as usual though my knee is playing up a bit. Time to get the roller out before bed.

I brought my gear to work and arrived at Tymon park at about 6pm all togged out. Did 35 minutes gentle jogging on the grass around the park before it got too dark. I estimate about 4 miles (forgot my Garmin). The ground was very heavy, My pegasus are not much good for those conditions. I probably need a pair of trail shoes aswell as a more stable pair for undulating footpaths. I am beginning to realise why the people on the main forum have so many different pair of shoes. Up to about a week ago I thought that Pegasus would be all I ever need!!

Just spent the last 10 minutes foam rolling my calfs and quads. I could feel my ankle wasn't 100% today but also realised it is much more noticeable on tarmac than mud. Will have to stick off road for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Runways have a sale on their trail shoes atm. Got a pair yesterday and used them this morning. Their the biz for wet grass/muddy conditions.

Cheers Gerard, I'll check tha out at the weekend.

Tonight was lovely and bright, so I got a slightly longer run in. I had the Garmin this time and I was surprised at the pace as I was really taking it quite easy over the very sticky, heavy grass in Tymon. After a slow first mile (9 min+) all the other miles were 8'30 or less including one steeply uphill one. I did the last half mile or so over a path and was cruising along at 7:40 pace for that. So overall quite happy as I don't appear to have lost much speed. I can still feel the ankle quite delicate, I am leaning more to the left side, but for the first time in a while I didn't feel it 'tweak' at any stage.

Overall 5.3 miles in 45 minutes, 8:30/mile av Pace

• Advertisement

9 miles over grass this morning in 1hr 19. Pace 8:50. Happy to get a decent lenghth run in and it felt comfortable. The grass running is really slow and heavy. On the few stretches of path I hit because the grass was too uneven, I felt the pace pick up considerably. I reckon I am losing something like 30 seconds per mile on wet grass.

I went to runways after the run with the intention of getting some trail runners for the grass. I also thought it would be a good Idea to get a gait analysis given my ongoing injury (the physio said I might need something more supportive than my pegasus). Anyway, looking at my ruuning form on video, I was quite shocked. Both legs were pronating about 15-20 degrees. When I first got the gait analysis a year ago, I was pretty neutral hence why I have been wearing pegasus. The good news is I am the proud owner of a pair of flourescent green Lunarglides, and I am confident my injury should clear up wearing them. It is pretty obvious I was in the wrong shoe for some time and amazing I haven't had more problems.

On the downside I have two shiny new pairs of pegasus I will probably not be able to use again, so anyone out there interested , I will give you a good deal :D

Edit: finally over 200 miles for the year about two weeks later than planned.

Yesterday I want back to the Physio for a follow up and after explaining about the new shoes and a further gruelling session I got the tentative thumbs up to get back to normal training.

I took the new Lunarglides out for a spin after work today and am delighted to say they really did the Job. 5.4 miles around tarmac paths and I didn't feel any niggles for the first time in weeks. Bset thing about the shoes is that they look pretty groovy as well. Judge for yourself: :D

66644009_w.jpg

On top of that the pace was quite quick though I felt I was keeping it easy overall 42 minutes for a 7:49 av Pace, I went at 7:15 for the last mile. Really happy with all that. The plan is to get a run in for the next three days and rest up saturday for the race on sunday. I am not taking the race too seriously so I will probably run into town before and run home afterwards as well to make a 10 miles long run out of it. I hope to get back to normal mileage as I've slipped back from early 40's to late 50's in the 1000 mile challenge over the last few weeks.

Looking back at it, yesterday was pretty much a tempo run, so I planned todays run as nice and easy. I don't want to push too hard coming back with the race on sunday, at the same stage I want ot get the miles in.

Totally forgot the Garmin this morning, but took a route this evening which I know is more or less 6 miles- Got out of the car just after 6pm and took it dead slow listening to george hook on the radio. He was just winding up the movies section as I finished up, so I reckoned it was close to 7pm for 9 minute miles approx, however I got into the car and it was still only 6.52pm, so that was about 51 minutes or 8:30 pace for the 6 miles. Pleasantly surprised with that, it felt as easy as I could possibly run.

I was planning a run yesterday but came over all weak and Nauseous yesterday afternoon and was wondering if I was out for the MSB 5k on saturday. Thankfully today I felt much better and got out for 8 miles after work. 1hr 8 minutes total, pace about 8:35/mile.
    I have to say it felt a little tougher than it should have, legs were a little heavy, I will put it down to the illness.
    Touch wood, the ankle has been feeling great since I have been wearing the new shoes.

I guess I will get a light jog in tomorrow ahead of the race on saturday, just to loosen the legs and get back into the habit of doing 5 runs a week. Already nearly 20 m iles for the week, which is more than I have done for well over a month.

Didn't get out yesterday as my ankle was feeling a little delicate after fridays 'long' run and I wanted to be in decent shape for today.

Anyway got up nice and early, had a good breakfast and jogged into town for about 11am (2.6miles in 25 minutes!!). Got up a good sweat as I had my jacket and tracksuit bottoms on. I have to say, this was probably the warmest day so far this year. Spent about an hour walking around trying to find toilets then lined up at the start about 20 metres back. The gun went off about two minutes early while I was in mid chat with a man and we were both quite surprised but as always I shot off way too fast in the first KM. I slowed a bit after that but was surprised to knock out realtively quick KMs, splits were: 3:58 (168) 4:05 (174) 4:13 (176) 4:15 (177) 4:12 (179).
    Overall 5.04 km in 20:56, AvHr 175 (max 181) pace 4:09/km or 6:41/mile.

Have to be happy with that given recent injury. That's a minute off my time from Rathfarnahm in october when I was at peak marathon fitness and first mini goal for 2010 achieved (Sub 21 5k). Hope to knock a few more seconds off this at UCD in a fortnight.

Had a nice chat and cup of tea with Chinguetti after the race. If you're reading, well done on your sub 20.

Jogged the 2.6 miles back home again untimed, so thats 8.4 miles for the day.

4 runs this week for 27.4 miles. Missed one run due to the injury but more or less back to decent mileage for the week. It's good to be back!!

Edit: 20:55 officially!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nice one, congrats on the sub-21 :)

Nice one, congrats on the sub-21 :)

Cheers!! Just checked Mcmillan there and he now puts me on 34:41 for 5 mile, that is nealry 50 seconds faster than Raheny. Can't believe I have actually improved since then, haven't been able to do any speed sessions with the foot. Just goes to show that slow and steady and you will improve!!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

Great running menoscemo, I might be doing a 5k on Wednesday, will be interesting to see how we compare, would love to get close to that.. Never did a 5k before so it will be a PB no matter what happens!

Sub430 wrote: »
    Great running menoscemo, I might be doing a 5k on Wednesday, will be interesting to see how we compare, would love to get close to that.. Never did a 5k before so it will be a PB no matter what happens!

If you are able to run 3 good sub 8 miles at the end of a 9.5 like you did today, you'll surely be able to put 3 consecutive 7'ish miles in on wedensday ;) Good luck, give it your all.

Recovery run this evening. I decided to let the legs dictate the pace and it was deadly slow.
    4.7 miles in almost 46 minutes. thats over 3 minutes per mile slower than yesterday's race , but I don't care :D!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Hey Menoscemo,
    I missed this yesterday. Congrats on the pb!

Plan tonight was 5 miles easy so I was surprised when the first k clicked on the garmin at 4:37. I felt like I slowed down when I saw that so was shocked when the scond k came up at 4:21 :eek: I really had to slow to a crawl at that stage but the rest of the run was still in and around 5min/ km (8min/mile) pace.

Overall 5 miles in 39 minutes. Pace 7:48/mile.

Funny how yesterday I couldn't speed up past a crawl yet today I couldn't get my legs to slow down!!

The plan tonight was a nice steady medium length run, but I really wasn't feeling it. I let my body dictate the pace and while I started with the first 3 miles at 8:30 ish pace, in mile 4 and 5 it dropped right back to almost 9 minute pace :o. I told my self to catch myself on, so I upped the pace after the fifth mile clicked and somehow managed to push out a 7:17 followed by a 7:02, I have to say it was tough at the end but I think these kind of runs will really help me maintain my speed in races as my pace generally drops off after 3 or 4 miles.
    Overall 7 miles in Just under 58 minutes. Av pace 8:15.

After reading a thread on the main forum about refuelling after runs, I decided to stop at a petrol station and get a Mars refuel drink on the way home. Wow, they are delicious and apparently are doing me good. I can't say I'll object ot drinking those regularly.

GYm night tonight. 1 hour weights and a 5 mile run on the treadmill at very easy pace. 43 minutes. Still hated it though.
    Hopefully will get a 10miler in tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Just catching up here menoscemo. Nice running last weekend. Always good to see PBs.

Just catching up here menoscemo. Nice running last weekend. Always good to see PBs.

Thanks SJ, as long as I can keep the training consistent I really should be knocking out PB's every race as I have only been running a year now and started from a very low base. I guess the plateau will come later in the year, but as the title says, I hope to be a real runner by thhen :D

Lovely day today. It was the first training run of the year where I went out with just the shorts and t-shirt on. I did my longest run of the year too. 10.5 miles over a hilly loop. Time 1:29 for an 8:30 av pace. I am really quite pleased I kept the pace very consistent even over the hilly sections. AV HR 153. I felt as fresh on the second part as I did on the first part which is really unusual for me.

Glad to have got all 5 runs done this week. Mileage for the week: 32.2.

I have been out for a few days with a bit of a chesty cough and cold. I was feeling better today so headed out to UCD after work for a few laps. I was planning 5 x 800m at 5k pace which should be about 3:20. They felt grand and knocked out very consistent reps of 3:17 (164 av, 170 hi) 3:19(168, 174) 3:19 (169, 173), 3:19 (170, 175). I called it a day at 4 reps as I could feel the chest wheezing and it was starting to spit rain. Since I am planning to race the UCD 5K on saturday, I would like to be my best.

I did a lap of the saturdays race course (just over a mile) as well to get a feel for it and it seems grand.
    Including warm up and cool down for the laps, Overall 5 miles in 42 minutes, AV pace 8:25. av HR 152.

Still feeling a bit chesty today, yet I realy want to get the miles in. Given that I went out to the park after work and decided to take it really easy.
    Result: 6.2 miles in just over 57 minutes. Pace 9:07, HR 140.

That's as slow as I have run for a while but well within my recovery/easy run range. I am particualrly happy with it becuase this was my standar pace during marathon training last year but my typical HR for the speed would have been around 150 so I am obviuosly a bit fitter now.

• Advertisement

I planned a run yesterday and was actually all kitted out and off running when it started to bucket down. With my present cold/chest infection I decide to call it a day straight away and just got in half a mile- quarter of a mile joggin off and another quarter sprinting back to the car.

I got out today and in my head it was really a trial to see if i'm fit to race tomorrow. Immediately I realised I am not, my breathing was still pretty restricted, my pace was slow and the effort felt realtively high for the slow pace. The legs also felt like lead. I am not really at the races so i don't think running tomorrow would do myself any justice. I think I will run the Leixlip 5k at the start of May instead, no harm done as I never had to pay the reg fee or anything (it was reg online and pay on the day).

Anyway got in 6.8 miles with 5 x 100-200m strides (or fartlek or whatever it's called) in 59 minutes. Av pace a measly 8:42, HR 151.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement