Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Pot kettle black. I had to stop the officials from taking down the finish line while we were waiting for you to finish on Sunday.

You asked for it!

I'm allowed - I've lost my mojo, no excuses for 'Mr. I'm the fastest runner on Boards' :P

But yeah, good point. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

You know after my last 400m there I may just have to say I will join you on this bet Meno..... Hmmmm....I shall see how things go the next while... Was real happy with my session last night...especially the first and last circuits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

This was a lunchtime run from work because of the beers tonight. It's hard to get a recovery run where I work given the hills, so just tried to go as slowly as possible for 40 minutes on the least hilly route I could find. Just about managed to keep the Av HR in the recovery zone even with the snail-like pace:
    4.5 miles @9:14 (141 Av HR)

WTD 3 runs 14.3 miles

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|10/11|87
    Total|106/130|978.6

Creeping very close to the 1000 mile mark :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I see you were having doubt about tonights session? :D are we still on?
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Yeah, i am also following a modified version of this plan for the 5k in Donore, then the 10k in Dunshaughlin. Trying to build up to doing 3 x 1 mile @5k pace next week. After donore, I hope to do the 4 key 10k sessions in the 4 week lead up to dunshaughlin.

I'd be on for joining you on this and replacing the km reps with mile reps and I'd imagine there'll be a few others targeting Dunshauglin, nice to get a group out targeting the Mcmillan sessions.

yeah, still on for going to marley but I'm not sure I'll attemp the planned session. The Hammers are still very sore after the 200's on tuesday. The felt easy at the time, but I am paying the price for running them too fast now :o.

I'll proabably leave the speed session of till saturday, but sure I'll do a few of the reps with you anyways. See you at 5:45ish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Oh yeah....blame it on the hammers!! :rolleyes:

claralara wrote: »
    Oh yeah....blame it on the hammers!! :rolleyes:

The Hamstring or the man inside my skull banging his hammers against my Brain? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

yeah, still on for going to marley but I'm not sure I'll attemp the planned session. The Hammers are still very sore after the 200's on tuesday. The felt easy at the time, but I am paying the price for running them too fast now :o.

I'll proabably leave the speed session of till saturday, but sure I'll do a few of the reps with you anyways. See you at 5:45ish

and what did i tell you about 200's on Sunday ?

Woke up this morning and the only thing sorer than my head was the backs of my legs. I was barely able to put on my socks while standing up :eek:

I knew yesterday I should not have done my recovery run over hills and it probably put the recovery off by another day. I'm sure the feed of pints last night didn't help either :rolleyes:

I kinda figured tonights speed session wasn't going to happen (2 x 1 mile and 2x 1k at 5k pace) but stupidly packed my racing flats anyway.

Met up with woddle after work and jogged up to the park where we met Sharktale and Mithril. I decided to do the 1k reps with Woddle and Sharktale at their pace (4:10 or 6:4x/mile)- pretty much my tempo pace. The reps felt great cardiovascularly but not so good for the legs. I felt the hamstrings tightening up after the third one so packed it in and just did an long lap of the park at recovery pace while the boys finished off...ran back with woddle and ended up clocking 7.7 miles for the day.

Stupidly, I reckon this run has probably served little purpose and the fastish stuff might end up prolonging recovery by another day :o Hopefully I'll be good for a bit of faster stuff by saturday- the plan will be 4/5 mile at tempo pace.

WTD 4 runs 22 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|11/12|94.7
    Total|107/131|986.3

Took the day off yesterday hoping that would help the legs freshen up and attempted a tempo run his evening. Had hoped for 4 miles of tempo but backed out after 3. I really had to struggle on this one, I guess the wind and last night beers didn't help, but still I was defianately not feeling as good As I'd hoped.

The Tempo Miles went 6:47, 7:06, 6:56 with a consistent av HR of 166 for the 3 miles. I had thought I'd be closer to 6'4x at this HR :(.

Total: 5.1 miles

WTD 5 runs 27.1 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|12/14|99.8
    Total|107/131|991.4

• Advertisement

21 miles with MrSlow and jcsmum who were doing their last long one for cork. We started off in the park and then headed over to see the folks doing the Sportsworld race, then finished off by following the marathon route in reverse back to the park. Looking at the garmin map, it seems I crossed the 1000 miles for the year going up the Chapelizod hill Rd, hills are my friend :cool:. Great performances all round in the race this morning. well done all.

Nice company as usual from jcsmum and Mrslow. I am not sure how I could do these runs on my own.

Weekly total 6 runs 48.1 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|13/15|120.8
    Total|108/132|1012.4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Hey thanks for the shout earlier Meno! I was fooked but I knew it was yourself.

Haha, cheers. I swore you were oblivious to it, was gonna post on your log to say you must be deaf :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Nice one on the run today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Also +1, I picked it up with about 600 to go and thought I couldn't give anymore till I heard a few shouts, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Thanks for all the encouragment yesterday, might not have made it to 21 without my 2 coaches! :)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Thanks for all the encouragment yesterday, might not have made it to 21 without my 2 coaches! :)

Not at all, it was a pleasure. Cork will be a lot flatter and you will be well rested so sub 4 will be no bother at all.
    Hope you enjoyed the Caramel Bunny :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hope you enjoyed the Caramel Bunny :D
    Something a bit smoother than Digger's banana anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Something a bit smoother than Digger's banana anyway ;)

No battered bananas with this lad, class all the way :D

I am pretty sure last week malaises are down to a lack of recovery runs. I did my normal monday recovery run at just under 8 min/mile as practise for wexford pacing last week. This combined with tuesdays speed and then not doing wednesday's normal recovery run either, left my legs tired and unable for any more decent speedwork. I was determined not to go the same way this week so went very slow today.

4.9 miles @9.08/mile (137 av HR).

WTD 1 run 4.9 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|14/16|125.7
    Total|108/132|1017.3

Legs were great today. I bumped into Aimman for part of the run and we discussed pacing tactics for Cork, because we finaly got confirmation today that we will both be pacing 4 hours for the Cork City Marathon :cool:

• Advertisement

Track session this evening with the usual faces. Tonight the 400's were back Target pace is 82.5sec/ 400m (5:28 pace)

Splits (max HR): 81 (174), 79 (179), 82 (181), 82 (181), 82 (180), 81 (181), 82 (179), 82 (181).

Happy with that, the splits were pretty consistent. I doubted myself after the first rep but with the presence of the other folks around I couldn't give up and it was all pretty comfortable for the last 7.

Total for the night: 4.9 miles

WTD 2 runs 9.8 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|15/17|130.6
    Total|109/133|1022.2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Some impressive track sessions recently, meno. I have been trying and consistently failing to hit similar kind of targets.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Some impressive track sessions recently, meno. I have been trying and consistently failing to hit similar kind of targets.

Thanks PG, but they don't seem to be getting any faster/easier. I hit faster times with Lower HR's a few weeks ago. I'm hoping that a nice mini taper before the 5k race will bear dividends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Are you giving yourself proper recovery between sets, no mention of your recovery tonight? The 2 times i did this session out with the group it seemed a little haphazard and there was definitely a just go when you feel like it approach. You should have another stopwatch on your other wrist to time the recovery. Keep a record of the times so you can compare sessions down the line.

That's what real runners do ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Are you giving yourself proper recovery between sets, no mention of your recovery tonight? The 2 times i did this session out with the group it seemed a little haphazard and there was definitely a just go when you feel like it approach. You should have another stopwatch on your other wrist to time the recovery. Keep a record of the times so you can compare sessions down the line.

Or just lap the garmin at the end of your rep and lap it again when you're starting the next rep... :pac:

Meh, I am doing the reps at mile pace and HH gives me 400m walk/jog recovery. That would be about 2.5 minutes of walking/jogging. I'd say I have been taking 1-1.5 min recovery (no walking or jogging), no more. Just enough for the HR to come back down. You can see from the HR Graph that I am generally starting the reps from a low of about 130, which seems about right (recovery zone).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Meh, I am doing the reps at mile pace and HH gives me 400m walk/jog recovery. That would be about 2.5 minutes of walking/jogging. I'd say I have been taking 1-1.5 min recovery (no walking or jogging), no more. Just enough for the HR to come back down. You can see from the HR Graph that I am generally starting the reps from a low of about 130, which seems about right (recovery zone).

Honestly i'm surprised that someone like yourself who knows so much about training methods would have such a relaxed view of recoveries. The recovery times are set out for a reason and changing it seems the incorrect way forward to me. You're clearly doing well doing at the moment but joining a club, where you have structured sessions and guidance from a coach would be my best advice to you in order to take the next step up. Sorry if thats a bit harsh but i may as well be honest with you.

Honestly i'm surprised that someone like yourself who knows so much about training methods would have such a relaxed view of recoveries. The recovery times are set out for a reason and changing it seems the incorrect way forward to me. You're clearly doing well doing at the moment but joining a club, where you have structured sessions and guidance from a coach would be my best advice to you in order to take the next step up. Sorry if thats a bit harsh but i may as well be honest with you.

Yeah Sure, you're probably right like. I'm too used to having a little stretch/chat during recoveries. These sessions are maybe too much of a social occasion :pac: and If I don't make targets in the races I'll know what the problem has been.
    I'll probably try to stick to the programme and do the walk/jog recoveries in future (will also bump up my miles covered).
    In the thursday sessions Woddle always has his watch set for timed recoveries so there is a little more structure to the recoveries there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Thanks PG, but they don't seem to be getting any faster/easier. I hit faster times with Lower HR's a few weeks ago. I'm hoping that a nice mini taper before the 5k race will bear dividends.

Progress often comes in steps. I'd not be too concerned about lack of progress over a few weeks ... even with HR there's too many variables to really track week to week (or at least this is what I am telling myself).

• Advertisement

6.2 miles @ 9 min/mile (136 AvHR). Nice to get a Run I wasn't feeling nervous about. 3x 1 mile at 5k pace tomorrow:o I'll be sh1tting bricks from 3pm onwards.

WTD 3 runs 16 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|16/18|136.8
    Total|109/133|1028.4

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement