Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

menoscemo wrote: »
    Aimman if you're reading this, what time are you expecting? 35 I guess?

Oh and does taking a break in the middle of an LSR to watch the end of a race count as cheating?

I'll be happy with 36, but will have a better idea after the Irishtown 5k on Wednesday.

It's not cheating if you jog on the spot while watching the race.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Plan: 7 miles GA with 8 x 100m strides
    Run went great, I was well under 8:30 min miles without Hr barely going out of the recovery zone. My pace seems to be improving :)

Strides went fine, I concentrated on taking a good long stride and lifting the legs. I did these way too fast last time (approx 5 min/mile pace) and focused on keeping them slower. Pace worked out at approx 6-6:30 min miles for the strides so just faster than 5k pace, which seemed right.
    Good session overall

7.2 miles @ 8:27 pace. Av HR 140

Plan 10 miles with 5 @ LT

It was lashing down when I pulled up at Tymon Park and I was inventing excuses not to go out in it. When I pulled myself together I was soaked to the skin after half a mile and then I didn't care anymore anyway. It was actually refreshingly cool and great to run in!!
    I wasn't sure if I was doing a 4 recovery, an 11 GA or a LT session when I headed out but the legs were feeling great at 3 miles so I decided to get the LT session out of the way early in the week (it being probably this weeks toughest session). Anyway it went thus:
    3 miles warm up @ 8:25 pace (Hr approx 142)
    5 Miles LT (15k-half marathon pace): 7:28 (155), 7:09 (162), 7:07 (159), 7:21 (161), 7:07 (161)
    2 miles warm down @ 8:35 pace

Overall: 10 miles @ 7:53 pace (1hr 19) AvHr 151

Good session, felt much easier than last week over a much hillier course. The new Lidl socks got a baptism of fire and an absolute soaking but performed admirably.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Fair play, you're putting in some great training these days! I'm sure it'll stand to you come October :)

xebec wrote: »
    Fair play, you're putting in some great training these days! I'm sure it'll stand to you come October :)

Cheers. I am really starting to reap the benefits of an injury free run. I credit it all to the lunarglides (hint hint ;))

Are you doing the 5 miler at the weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Cheers. I am really starting to reap the benefits of an injury free run. I credit it all to the lunarglides (hint hint ;))

I've been in the lunarglides nearly a year now and have had no running related injuries. Except when I put the kayano's back on for my back to back lsr's for one weekend in March. Never again.

Are you doing the 5 miler at the weekend?

Yep, not too optimistic about it though, training for me has been very hit and miss... Will go out at about 38 minute pace anyway and try to hold on to that for a new PB by 8 seconds ;)

Wouldn't mind moving to lunarglides, but I've never felt that they fitted right anytime I tried them on, one size slightly too small and one too big... Nimbus have been treating me well again for the last few weeks though. Think I'm nearly over the knee issue.

Yep, not too optimistic about it though, training for me has been very hit and miss... Will go out at about 38 minute pace anyway and try to hold on to that for a new PB by 8 seconds ;)

Wouldn't mind moving to lunarglides, but I've never felt that they fitted right anytime I tried them on, one size slightly too small and one too big... Nimbus have been treating me well again for the last few weeks though. Think I'm nearly over the knee issue.

cool, see you up there. I won't be running but will be there mid LSR to cheers all the boardsies on (except gerard65 :p)

cool, see you up there. I won't be running but will be there min LSR to cheers all the boardsies on (except gerard65 :p)

Cool, seeya there :) Loved gerard65's menopause comments :p

Cool, seeya there :) Loved gerard65's menopause comments :p

Any talk of pints after the race?

• Advertisement

I was actually going to suggest that but with it only being 5 miles and starting at 10am I didn't think people would go for it. Definitely pints after the Parkwest race....

I might abandon my idea of 20 miles for Saturday and just go for about 10 instead, depending on how the legs feel on Saturday. I don't want to disrupt training to much this week just for a 5 mile race so I'm still going out for 8ish tomorrow and 9 on Thursday then 30 lengths or so of the pool on Friday. Probably just do the one LSR this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Catching up on my reading (beats work). You seem to be flying through the the training ! You seem to be knocking those LT sessions out without a bother. You're making it look easy !

Are you training to pace or HR ?

Definitely pints after the Parkwest race....

There will be free Bulmers Berry!! :D

There will be free Bulmers Berry!! :D

Yeah, I foresee this day as being the one and only time I drink an entire pint of Bulmers anything! Plus it's close to home which is a massive bonus and I'm not in work the next day. I wonder if we can grab a few extra vouchers...

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Catching up on my reading (beats work). You seem to be flying through the the training ! You seem to be knocking those LT sessions out without a bother. You're making it look easy !

Are you training to pace or HR ?

Yeah PG, really happy with how the training is going. The weather is cooling down over here so that really helps get the good seesions out.
    To answer your quesion a bit of Both- in the HM recently my average HR was 164 and pace 7:24 so I am trying to keep the LT miles at or below both of those. (P&D gives an LT HR of 151-167)

Gonna be in New York for the week of 9-13 august. I am booked into a hostel 2 blocks to the west of Central park, hope you will be about for a run one of those days? I have dreams of finishing the 100 mile challenge in central Park!!

Yeah PG, really happy with how the training is going. The weather is cooling down over here so that really helps get the good seesions out.
    To answer your quesion a bit of Both- in the HM recently my average HR was 164 and pace 7:24 so I am trying to keep the LT miles at or below both of those. (P&D gives an LT HR of 151-167)

Gonna be in New York for the week of 9-13 august. I am booked into a hostel 2 blocks to the west of Central park, hope you will be about for a run one of those days? I have dreams of finishing the 100 mile challenge in central Park!!

No weekends - pity. Is this a work trip ? PM a bit closer and we'll figure out when.
    Damn - just checked and this is the week of the Bronx HM (Aug 15th - need to double check) - so I'll have to take it a bit easy but I'm sure we can get a session in earlier in the week. Don't want to extend your trip a couple of days :D. ?

pgmcpq wrote: »
    No weekends - pity. Is this a work trip ? PM a bit closer and we'll figure out when.
    Damn - just checked and this is the week of the Bronx HM (Aug 15th - need to double check) - so I'll have to take it a bit easy but I'm sure we can get a session in earlier in the week. Don't want to extend your trip a couple of days :D. ?

Bronx HM sounds cool, but I'll have to give it a miss. I might be in NY the weekend before too, depends on what my mate in Philadelphia is up to ( I am heading out on 31st July and spending about 10 days down there I think.
    I'll PM you my mobile before I head off.

Oh and don't worry about the pace, it will be dead slow given the heat and the fact I will no doubt be recovering from 10 days of alcohol consumption.

Bronx HM sounds cool, but I'll have to give it a miss. I might be in NY the weekend before too, depends on what my mate in Philadelphia is up to ( I am heading out on 31st July and spending about 10 days down there I think.
    I'll PM you my mobile before I head off.

Oh and don't worry about the pace, it will be dead slow given the heat and the fact I will no doubt be recovering from 10 days of alcohol consumption.

Sounds good. Somewhere > dead slow but < PMP !

Enjoy Philly we head down there from time to time. There's a great restarant on Walnut St called Caribou Cafe - primarily French. You can blow any nutrition plan out the window very easily ! There's a good Irish bar (a real one!) close by on the next street (there's a parking lot runs through to Walnut - stumbled into a great trad session there a few years ago).

Thanks, I'll try to take up some of your reommendations particularly the Irish Bar :D
    Tonight: 4mile recovery, 9:28 pace, HR 129

Real easy run, feeling tired tonight but hoping this gets me ready for 11 miles tomorrow.

Don't think so, as RQ mentioned it's pretty early to be hitting the pub - although I think I did last year, was about 12 by the time I got down to Parkgate Street. Was thinking I might head to Croker for an afternoon of GAA instead, football should be pretty good...

• Advertisement

Don't think so, as RQ mentioned it's pretty early to be hitting the pub - although I think I did last year, was about 12 by the time I got down to Parkgate Street. Was thinking I might head to Croker for an afternoon of GAA instead, football should be pretty good...

I might be going there too, to cheer on the ulster teams against the Dubs :pac:

11 miles General Aerobic

I had kind of been dreading this session all day. It felt like I had done all my tough session ahead of the weekend LSR, but yet I stil had this 11 miles to do. After a slow first two miles (9:10ish) I really got into the run and pumped out the 8:30's without much effort. I was still feeling dead fresh by the end and felt I could easily have finished out my 18 mile LSR this evening, but I felt a bit thirsty and hungry so decided to leave it till saturday morning.

11 miles @ 8:38 pace. Av Hr 140
    Surprisingly the Av HR was actually inside my recovery zone.

18 mile LSR
    Outbright and early this morning at 8:40am. It was a bit of a struggle for the first 4 miles at about 9:10 pace, but picked it up when I saw all the crowds for the 5 mile race at the Park. Stopped off for 15-20 minutes after 12 miles at the finish line to cheer some boardsies home, some cracking performances, Notably Ral3 and RQ.
    Met a few other boardsies after the race then headed of for 6 miles home. Pleased that I managed to pick up the pace for the last 2 miles (8:10-8:20 pace) without much real effort.
    Total: 18.1 miles @ 8:53 pace, Av Hr 143

Total for the week: 5 runs, 50.3 miles
    Biggest mileage week of my running career so far :)

Good going on the LSR! That's some serious pace you were sticking in there, particularly over the last two miles. I'm guessing you're not doing the Plod tomorrow? Missed you at the end of the race today, was hanging around with a group for a while but didn't see you or RQ - she finished about 20s in front of me...

Make it to Croker today? Delighted for Antrim sticking it to the Dubs! Both football teams were pretty poor though, although Dublin are fit ****ers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Make it to Croker today? Delighted for Antrim sticking it to the Dubs! Both football teams were pretty poor though, although Dublin are fit ****ers!
    Must make you lot sick to see the Dubs win:D

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

18 mile LSR
    Outbright and early this morning at 8:40am. It was a bit of a struggle for the first 4 miles at about 9:10 pace, but picked it up when I saw all the crowds for the 5 mile race at the Park. Stopped off for 15-20 minutes after 12 miles at the finish line to cheer some boardsies home, some cracking performances, Notably Ral3 and RQ.
    Met a few other boardsies after the race then headed of for 6 miles home. Pleased that I managed to pick up the pace for the last 2 miles (8:10-8:20 pace) without much real effort.
    Total: 18.1 miles @ 8:53 pace, Av Hr 143

Congrats Meno on the LSR & the weekly high mleage milestone, you're obviously sticking well to the program which is no mean feat.

You looked very fresh when I saw you at the finish.

Keep it up. By the way, when do we have our rematch seeing as you royally kicked my ass last time we ran in Enniscorthy.........

gerard65 wrote: »

Nah, cos I know they'll just get beaten as soon as they come up against a half decent team again... Neither Dublin or Armagh are All Ireland Champions material based on what I saw today, now Wexford beating Cork tomorrow on the other hand...

gerard65 wrote: »

Not at all, seeing one **** team beat another; it's like watching Liverpool beating Leeds in the cup or something :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Savage running Meno, fair play. Your training would seriously impress my uncle, who keeps telling me that I need to be running the equivalent of 2 marathons a week if I want a decent time, cos that's what he did when he ran it in 1980... I keep pointing out that 1. he was 7 years younger than I am now, 2. he was tall and skinny and I'm short and fat and 3. he was much fitter:rolleyes: Good luck with the program, you'll fly through it.:)

• Advertisement

Thanks Rachel. I am definately of the same midset as your uncle, at least when it comes to myself. Personally speaking I do not have natural endurance as can be seen in the rapid depreciation in my times as the distance increases. last year the HH programme just didn't cut it for me and I died in the last 7 miles (as did most of the boys in the Novice group). Most of the girls in our Novice group didn't seem to have the same issues and powered through the 26 miles as planned. Could it be that us boys do not have the same endurance as our femal counterparts? Or maybe we are just wusses?

Tonight: 7 miles GA with 6 x 100m strides
    I felt a phantom pain in my right knee at the weekend. I say phantom as I am not sure if it is there or just in my head (This is the knee I had an orthoscopy on about 3 years ago). Whether it is there or not I am still unsure. It was in my head and consquently I was compensating for that during the run. I took the strides really easy as a consequence. Apart from that the run went well.
    7 miles @ 8:34 pace. HR 143

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement