Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

menoscemo wrote: »
    Managed to get through the Finish line and exit pretty efficiently. Excellent organisation it has to be said, the roads were closed off and it allowed a swift transfer to the Coal Hole. Must have been 1pm by the time I got there, I had contemplated that I might be the first arrival but was immediately greeted by Brian, RK, KC, Robin and pronator amongst others. Grabbed a seat and settled in for the long haul.
    First few pints went down slowly, we’re talking 1 hour per pint here, nothing ground breaking but steady as she goes. Discussed Nutrition strategy with Pronator. We both agreed that there was no point rushing things, we’d opt for a burger after 5 or six pints or whenever the stomachs felt like it. No point forcing the issue so short into the session. Soon we were joined by Ronnie 085, Marathastew, Kiely Unusual among others and the pace dropped down to 30 minutes per pint at worst. Next thing I knew the Jamesons were being ordered and it all gets a bit blurry at this point. I had gotten the demons in my head a few hours before, even thought about dropping out early at one point but it was 11pm at this point and the pub was closing and all I could think about was more beer. Thankfully a few others had the same Idea and myself, MS, Ronnie and Kiely unusual headed back to the strand palace for more.
    I can’t quite remember all the details from this point on, but needless to say we wre well into double figures before I headed back the apartment. I had a bit of a moment finding the place, but a bit of help from the marshals (London’s Finest PC’s) and I hit the sack at x oclock. Wasn’t checking the watch at this point so I have no idea of my exact time…Oh wait you came here for a race report??

I reckon it was 2.45 odd because the last of the 10 missed calls was 02.43......I just rang you back at 05.10 to see if u were having a nice sleep. Lol. Great sub 3.05

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

great report [both of them] & great result [race and beer!]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great report, some serious balls at the finish to grind it out. Great running, 'in Meno we trust' i think the saying goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Thats super stuff Meno - theres a select few people on Boards who everyone looks upto -

you're one of them and your report shows why.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Congrats again on a super time! You thoroughly deserved it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Great Report Meno, Impressive Run.. sounded so comfortable until the cramps.. did well to hang on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Terenure 5 mile, May 19th

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

digger2d2 wrote: »

Smackdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I was thinking 'N is making this whole marathon business sound way too easy' and then I got to mile 22 ;)
    Well done, super PB. Delighted for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Sounds like a plan alright, is that the sunday after Kildare this year?

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    Smackdown?

With me? He's no match for me over the shorter distances :D I have to Marshal anyway!

Sounds like a plan alright, is that the sunday after Kildare this year?

Yep, exactly... I'd love to see a good boards crowd doing it this year, we could organise pints after!?

Full details up in the Events section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Yep, exactly... I'd love to see a good boards crowd doing it this year, we could organise pints after!?

What are these pintsyou talk of? I'm in :)

TRR wrote: »
    What are these pintsyou talk of? I'm in :)

I'll get you into the elites section with meno ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I'll get you into the elites section with meno ;)

elite athlete section or elite drinker? You've confused me by mentioning meno :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done again Niall. Did you follow a specific training plan for the drinking part or how did it work out?

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Well done again Niall. Did you follow a specific training plan for the drinking part or how did it work out?

haha, nothing much it has to be said. I followed a strict taper on the beer front in the build up. I guess like the marathon itself a combination of a good pacing strategy and many years of built up endurance paid dividends in the end ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Congrats on London (the running that is!). Should be very confident of a sub3 effort soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Brilliant race report Meno, really felt your pain in those last couple of miles. Congrats on a great PB. Loved your after race report, I am seriously impressed with how long you guys managed to stay out! I would have been asleep in the corner after about 2 drinks :o

Well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭opus

Great stuff, congratulations on the race (& the epic session!) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Great drinking meno..... You've now given me a new target for limerick!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

So, so, so very delighted for you!!! Congratulations on a super race and well done on two super entertaining reports. :D

I believe you said you took 4 gels by mile 10? Wow. But it seemed to work for you. I may have to remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Great stuff meno, great to see you've put those injury niggles behind you.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I believe you said you took 4 gels by mile 10? Wow. But it seemed to work for you. I may have to remember that.

Yeah i took 7 in total and 4 before 10 miles.
    The way I see it; any gels you can take on baord are a bonus (I have done marathons before where my stomach couldn't take any). The earlier you take them the better as any energy taken on board is glycogen saved for later in the race. No point trying to force a gel into you late in the race when
    a) it is too late as you have already bonked
    b) your stomach is in ribbons and won't accept it.

It is not a tactic of mine to take x Number of gels, but I carry a pouch and always fill it before the race. I plan to take only as many as I feel like, in this case The stomach felt very receptive so i just kept ploughing them into me. I have no doubt this helped as I never felt weak or lacking in energy at any point; the only thing slowing me down was the damn legs cramping up. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Yeah i took 7 in total and 4 before 10 miles.
    The way I see it; any gels you can take on baord are a bonus (I have done marathons before where my stomach couldn't take any). The earlier you take them the better as any energy taken on board is glycogen saved for later in the race. No point trying to force a gel into late in the race when
    a) it is too late as you have already bonked
    b) your stomach is in ribbons and won't accept it.

Very interesting meno, I was shocked also with the number of gels I must admit! Especially taking 4 so early

But you do make valid points in fairness to you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Great run and report Niall. Well done on hanging on.

Ive read somewhere that you cant really process more than 60-90 g carbohydrate per hour while running. Might be worth taking into account next time.

Well done again, great time. With a clear run training wise sub 3 now easily in reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Well done Sunday Niall. Two great race reports, I suppose all brian has to do now is run Boston if he can even manage that :P

Ive read somewhere that you cant really process more than 60-90 g carbohydrate per hour while running. Might be worth taking into account next time.

Science schmience :pac:

Why would I take it into account? What I did worked perfectly well and I have done it before too. I have no doubt it enhanced my race and certainly did not hinder it
    I just checked the nutritional Info: http://www.sportnutrition.co.nz/shop/endurance-nutrition/enervit-cheer-packs/
    I took on about 120g in the first 70 minutes and another 90g in the next 90 minutes.

Actually I guess it is not that far from the amounts you suggest...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Science schmience :pac:

Why would I take it into account? What I did worked perfectly well and I have done it before too. I have no doubt it enhanced my race and certainly did not hinder it

Lesson learned. Dont suggest stuff to niall ;)

• Advertisement

Lesson learned. Dont suggest stuff to niall ;)

haha, are you only learning this now? ;)
    I just prefer to do what actually works for me based on my own experience rather than some science experiment. I would never try to force a gel down me when the stomach is not receptive, but when it is I guess I must be absorbing them ok?

Actually looking at the figures you quote that is actually loads of carbs, most people would never take on 90g/hour and if they did, they would generally leave it until the last hour when it is too late. What i am saying is that it is probably more effective and easy to take on those carbs in the first hour rather than the last one...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement