Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

xebec wrote: »
    My turn to be pedantic ;)

meno, I presume you mean the Dunboyne 5 mile race? Don't know anything about the course... That Donore 5k is looking more and more tempting! My 5k PB is very soft and how could you go wrong with a lovely downhill course?! :D

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. It is definately a soft course and I reckon my PB is quite soft too ( I have beat it in my last two races- a 10k and a 5 mile for a start). My only worry is that the club would make a haims of it like the jingle bells, but the fact it is chip-timed kinda takes that worry away. I will probably decide last minute cos it depends on if I can get off work that saturday. If not I will do Dunboyne I reckon.

Oh and RQ, Pedantic is that good or bad? ( I didn't get a fee paying education :D;):p)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm a right pedantic so and so, so being pedantic is of course good - when it's me being pedantic. When one is being pedantic to me however... :eek:

When is Dunboyne? I assume being a night time BHAA race it's a week night?

I'm a right pedantic so and so, so being pedantic is of course good - when it's me being pedantic. When one is being pedantic to me however... :eek:

When is Dunboyne? I assume being a night time BHAA race it's a week night?

One now is it?
    R.E. Dunboyne,
    seeing as you just put yourself down for it I thought you would know :p
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65937578&postcount=1144

I said I may do it seeing as I didn't know when it was actually on. One is not impressed with all the pedantic comments. *flicks head*

I said I may do it seeing as I didn't know when it was actually on. One is not impressed with all the pedantic comments. *flicks head*

It's on a tuesday at 8pm. If I'm doing it I may be in a position to offer a lift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

menoscemo wrote: »
    It's on a tuesday at 8pm. If one is doing it one may be in a position to offer a lift.

FYP

I went out for another recovery type run in tymon but after 5 miles plodding at 8:50 pace I felt good and decided to do another lap at a higher pace and put in 8:21, 8:13 and 7:51 for miles 6 7 and 8.

Overall 8.5 miles in 1hr 13. Pace 8:33, AvHr 141

Met with Aimman at Tymon Park tonight for a nice gentle run. It is really nice to be getting some company on some of my runs now.

6.7 miles in an hour. 9 min pace, 140 HR.

Going to Intel race on Saturday? Nice flat 10k must be tempting...

Going to Intel race on Saturday? Nice flat 10k must be tempting...

HMMMM, What time? I have to work until about 2pm, too late?

• Advertisement

HMMMM, What time? I have to work until about 2pm, too late?

Yup, BHAA weekend races are usually 11am... Maybe we'll get you out for some of the evening races coming up :)

Yup, BHAA weekend races are usually 11am... Maybe we'll get you out for some of the evening races coming up :)

Bah, I'll do that 5k next saturday for sure. Yeah I must get out for some of those BHAA midweek races in the future (I have never actually tested out my theory that I race better in the evening :p), but focus will have to go on the marathon after June.
    Focus or the next month will be towards training up for the Enniscorhty Half at the end of June (Thanks RQ :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Enjoyed the run around Tymon today. Think you talked me into the Donore race next week. I'll do that before I head to Cork for the weekend. :D

5 miles with Gerard 65 at lunch time today. We went up through the steepest section of the half marathon Plod through masseys wood. I can report it is very steep and full of obstacles. We thought we were lost on several occasions and had to stop to get our bearings but eventually came out at the top of cruagh and jogged back down the main road. I felt sorry for Gerard as he had plodded nearly 3 miles up from Rathfarnham to meet me and was already lashing with sweat. The forest itself was like a sauna filled with flies. I think I caught about 10 in my eye and about 20 in the mouth. My t-shirt looked like the front widscreen of a car after a night drive after the run. In a sadistic way I am looking forward to the half marathon plod all the same and will sign up tonight.

Todays run ended up very slow with all the stoping and wondering where we were. 50 minutes or 10 minute miles HR 144 but it peaked at 170 in an uphill section.
    Next time I shall aim to get through this section of the course without stopping or walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

5 miles with Gerard 65 at lunch time today. We went up through the steepest section of the half marathon Plod through masseys wood. I can report it is very steep and full of obstacles. We thought we were lost on several occasions and had to stop to get our bearings but eventually came out at the top of cruagh and jogged back down the main road. I felt sorry for Gerard as he had plodded nearly 3 miles up from Rathfarnham to meet me and was already lashing with sweat. The forest itself was like a sauna filled with flies. I think I caught about 10 in my eye and about 20 in the mouth. My t-shirt looked like the front widscreen of a car after a night drive after the run. In a sadistic way I am looking forward to the half marathon plod all the same and will sign up tonight.

Todays run ended up very slow with all the stoping and wondering where we were. 50 minutes or 10 minute miles HR 144 but it peaked at 170 in an uphill section.
    Next time I shall aim to get through this section of the course without stopping or walking.
    Eh! WE were never lost, you would have been without me!
    You never felt SORRY for me, you kept saying I was pulling a woddle on you for walking!

:eek:
    I mightn't have admitted it, but I needed the walk breaks myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Next time we'll know what we're in for so I reckon we'll keep going and maybe the weather will be kinder. (or at least we'll be better aclimatised).

If you're this again on an evening, or weekend, let me know. Would be good to check out the route beforehand. Think I still have my boy scout badge for map reading somewhere. I'll just go have a look.....

Aimman wrote: »
    If you're this again on an evening, or weekend, let me know. Would be good to check out the route beforehand. Think I still have my boy scout badge for map reading somewhere. I'll just go have a look.....

I'd say maybe saturday fortnight we'll give it a go again. I work a lot of saturday mornings and would be ready to go about 1pm.

With the strawberry half marathon coming up next month, the plan for today was a half marathon specific LSR. I wanted to do 10 miles easy and 3 at HMP (maybe 7:30/mile). Unfortunately I was working today and couldn't get the run in until 3pm. The car thermometer was saying 26c at that time. I took all precautions. I had my water belt on, a hat, sun glasses, sun screen etc but right from the first mile I knew something was wrong. Even at my easy pace it was tough. BY mile 6 I spotted my HR had shot up over 160 on a flat part while only moving at 8:40/mile and I knew the game was up. I would be doing no HMP miles today. Anyway I slogged out the 10 anyway and called it a day

10.1 miles in 1hr 29 (pace 8:48) Av HR 154

To Put this run into perspective I ran the same distance 2 weeks ago in the same park, more than 10 minutes faster (7:46/mile pace) with the same av HR. I guess that's how much the heat and sun take out of you when you are not used to it. God knows how HunnyMonster is running 100k a day in these conditions.

Weekly total: 5 runs 36.1 miles

• Advertisement

It's early days yet, still over a month to go to the strawberry half - hot weather training will stand to you aswell if you can get some of it in.

It's early days yet, still over a month to go to the strawberry half - hot weather training will stand to you aswell if you can get some of it in.

Yeah, I just hope it is not as hot as that!! Any plans for champios league final. I am in the mood for beer in a beer garden!!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Weather is unbelieveable, very hard to run in, god knows I tried, it'll stand to ya alright

Track at UCD. I met rainbow kirby after her study for some speed work, I will probably do the Donore 5k on saturday so I wanted to get the legs moving fast again.
    Plan 10 x 400m at 1 mile pace. 1 mile pace is probably something like 6minutes so I was looking at about 90 seconds per lap:

Intervals went: 83, 89, 91, 91, 88, 86, 85, 85, 84, 87.
    The first was way too fast so slowed right down then realised it was too easy so speeded up a bit. HR was maxing out at 170-172 which seems about right. We were joggin 200m recoveries but after about 4 laps we reverted to walking the 200m which felt a bit like cheating, but whatever, still a good session, I felt fine during and after, good to know there is still some speed in the legs.

Total tonight 5.4 miles

With the 5k race at the weekend, I decided to get my long run in early tonight. The plan was to make up for saturdays abroted effort and do 13 miles with the last 3 at HMP (7:30ish). I wasn't sure about how wise this was with yesterdays speed work still in my legs but I gave it a lash anyways. I met with Aimman in Tymon for the first 9, which we ran easy at around 8:45 pace. He left me at 9.2 and I lashed on at this point. The 10th mile was supposed to be warm up for the fast stuff but when it flashed up at 7:47 (despite running the first part at 8:40 pace) I decided to count it as one of the 3 tempo miles. The other two were much faster given that I was speeding all the way through.

The three tempo miles went 7:47 (150) 7:05 (162) 7:13 (161). Really pleased with that with so many miles already on the run. The HR look to be exactly where I want them to be for a HM.

I did a mile warm down, so overall for the night:

13.2 miles in 1hr 51 (8:27 pace, 147 HR). Good to see that saturday was just a freak due to the weather.

Glad the last three miles worked out for you. I didnt want to risk fast miles at the end after yesterday, I checked, but the body said 'no'. :D

Aimman wrote: »
    Glad the last three miles worked out for you. I didnt want to risk fast miles at the end after yesterday, I checked, but the body said 'no'. :D

Cheers, yeah they weren't too bad, I even managed a sip of a gel on the run!! All in the name of getting used to having to do it on the big occasion.

Legs pretty heavy tonight after the two big workouts the days before. Calf and Hams are particularly tight, I uess that is in part to wearing the DX trainers two days in a row.

Tonight 4.5 miles at recover pace (9:04) Av HR 136.

I registered for the Donore 5k on saturday.

Today was apparently cross training as I volunteered for a staff vs 6th year football match at our school. At the back of my mind I knew this was a bad idea and said I would take it easy.
    Well, after a couple of sliding tackles and barely 30 minutes on the pitch I have manged to graze the front of my left leg as well as lifting all the skin of the underside of the second bigest toe (friction burn against heavy foorball socks).

More worryingly, I am also limping pretty badly on my right side, there seems to be a problem in the 'rear end' region. Hopefully it is just aches and pains and will pas away. I will do a small recovery rn tomorrow evening to guage if I can do the race on saturday.
    Mental note to self- never play football again :eek:

• Advertisement

I woke up as stiff as a poker this morning and barely able to walk. The pain was going up from the back of the knee through the hamstrings and into the small of the back. After a shower and a good stretch I felt much better. I have been stretching all day and there has been a big improvement.

I went out for a little run this evening to see If I will be fit for tomorrows race. 3.3 miles in 8:44 pace. I stuck in a few strides but there was no zip. The ham is very thight and the back is sore, I was having to run very upright. It looks 50-50 at the moment, but I have improved a lot today in fairness. I'll do more strecthing tonight and do a nice early morning Jog/warm up to see If I'll be ok.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement