Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

260 kph on Saturday

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Dartz wrote: »
    So the legislators don't weigh in with an even tougher mandatory speed limiter.

The 250 km/h / 155 mph limit on those cars was an agreement by the manufacturers which prevented the government from passing legislation. It's so called self-regulation.

The 180 km/h limit in Japan is legislation alright. And some cars, like the GT-R have a feature, that disables the limited (based on GPS data), when you enter a track :)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

KTRIC wrote: »
    I'm living in Germany over 2 years now and the novelty of speed has worn off at this stage.
    +1. I lived there for 7 years and the novelty of tearing around at 200+km/h wears off after a while, partly due to the continuous concentration needed on long journeys at those speeds, but not least the fuel costs.

That having been said, it's a very "liberating" feeling just to be able to drive as fast as you like and the conditions allow without continually having to worry about getting caught. Usually on long journeys I kept to around 160-180km/h with occasional bursts up to 200km/h when the road was free for long stretches, and of course sticking religiously to roadworks speed limits as practically everyone there does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Marlow wrote: »
    The 180 km/h limit in Japan is legislation alright. And some cars, like the GT-R have a feature, that disables the limited (based on GPS data), when you enter a track :)

It asks you 'Do you want to disable this limit?' and if you choose Yes you agree to have an €xxxx service to restore your warranty afterwards.

You have to love Nissan :rolleyes: Even Audi would let you get on with it*

*Even if people were pointing and laughing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Alun wrote: »
    +1. I lived there for 7 years and the novelty of tearing around at 200+km/h wears off after a while, partly due to the continuous concentration needed on long journeys at those speeds, but not least the fuel costs.

That having been said, it's a very "liberating" feeling just to be able to drive as fast as you like and the conditions allow without continually having to worry about getting caught. Usually on long journeys I kept to around 160-180km/h with occasional bursts up to 200km/h when the road was free for long stretches, and of course sticking religiously to roadworks speed limits as practically everyone there does.

I found 160 - 180 to be the magic number. Strange that ;)

I'm really surprised the limit hasn't been increased slightly in Ireland. 160 would be fine for most motorways.

Alun wrote: »
    That having been said, it's a very "liberating" feeling just to be able to drive as fast as you like and the conditions allow without continually having to worry about getting caught. Usually on long journeys I kept to around 160-180km/h with occasional bursts up to 200km/h when the road was free for long stretches

Exactly that. The freedom also does, that the majority of people don't see the need to "reach" the limit. It's unreachable. A limit on the motorways here becomes a target to exceed. I grew up about 30 km's from the german border, and on the danish side of the border the limit is even worse: people go for just underneath the limit where they loose their license, not the speed-limit. That's 70% above the speed-limit. In Germany, that's no issue then anymore.
    Confab wrote: »
    It asks you 'Do you want to disable this limit?' and if you choose Yes you agree to have an €xxxx service to restore your warranty afterwards.

Didn't know that, funny.

/M

• Advertisement

I found 160 - 180 to be the magic number. Strange that ;)

I'm really surprised the limit hasn't been increased slightly in Ireland. 160 would be fine for most motorways.

Yep. 160-180 is the magic number in a lot of cars, not just Nissan Micra's and the likes.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

unfortunately it would probably be too high for most peoples abilities. :mad:

Fey! wrote: »
    unfortunately it would probably be too high for most peoples abilities. :mad:

That's the thing about Germany. There is no limit, there is a 130 km/h advised guideline and you can then drive to your abilities and your cars capabilities. Overall, Germany has the lowest accident rate in Europe, if I recall correctly.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭demag

I think you're all talking waffle, everybody knows ( cos the RSA says so ) that speed kills. No one has ever gone past 120kph and lived to tell the tale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

demag wrote: »
    I think you're all talking waffle, everybody knows ( cos the RSA says so ) that speed kills. No one has ever gone past 120kph and lived to tell the tale.

So true, don't they have that "expert" Gay Byrne with his big gay Harley. If he says speed kills then they must be right.

He's just jealous anyway, never seen a HD go over 120 :pac:

• Advertisement

demag wrote: »

Well. And one drinks helps some people to drive !! And we have no drink driving in this country !! And it's all the boy racers at fault !!

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Matt Simis wrote: »
    The e60 5 is a faster platform than the e92 3 due to aerodynamics. A little more weight is a benefit at that speed too.
    Not this rubbish again, I thought we went through this in this thread
    Unless of course there has been some update on the laws of physics since then.
    Why would anyone think adding weight to a car would be of benefit to it's top speed potential?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Bandit12 wrote: »
    260 :D My hayabusa does that in 4th gear

my friend died last year on a busa,you come across like he did,invinsible

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭B11gt00e

So true, don't they have that "expert" Gay Byrne with his big gay Harley. If he says speed kills then they must be right.

He's just jealous anyway, never seen a HD go over 120 :pac:

His Harley only ever went over the heads of punters drinking in vicar street. It was mounted for years in the window looking out on Thomas St. Don't know if its still there or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭supersaint3

it always amazes me when i read these speed threads the amount of thickarses in this country who think 'oh i'm a good driver I can drive 160km/h safely in a straight line, that's safe on a motorway, they should change the limits'. you never think about the idiot who doesn't check their mirrors and drives right into your lane as your clipping up right behind them, or the generally poor levels of driving ability in the country. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭lifebook

Agree with Saint. If you are going to do that do it at 4am on the M7 just before Monasterevin. Dead straight and nothing in sight for miles.

Drove one of these 335D Coupes and while very fast the back end has a tendency to dance on bends. They will do 260kmh but all the german manufacturers set their speedos to read about 5-10km over what you are really doing.

Can you believe that people get these mapped??????

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

if the owner put bigger wheels on the car then it will read slightly over the top speed.

lifebook wrote: »
    Can you believe that people get these mapped??????

Mapping can be done with more than just speed in mind.

A re-map can improve full-consumption. Also, when you re-map you can choose to re-map for more torque. Re-mapping does not have to do with speed at all.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

it always amazes me when i read these speed threads the amount of thickarses in this country who think 'oh i'm a good driver I can drive 160km/h safely in a straight line, that's safe on a motorway, they should change the limits'. you never think about the idiot who doesn't check their mirrors and drives right into your lane as your clipping up right behind them, or the generally poor levels of driving ability in the country. :rolleyes:

Maybe thick ignorant Irish people should get it out of their heads that it is their right to drive on the road? Then maybe we could think about removing from the road and retraining all these terrible drivers we have.

It's just so typically Irish how these problems are dealt with. Just look at those accident black spot signs. Some of those are in place for decades! Oh look this road design is dangerous, instead of fixing it lets just reduce the speed limit and put a sign up warning motorists for the next 30 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I can drive 160 in a straight line without spilling my beer ! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement