Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

260 kph on Saturday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

unkel wrote: »
    And then there's the complicating factor that not all BMWs are as limited to 250km/h as others. Officially they are, but unofficially? :D

Well. One thing is limiting them at 250 km/h. Another thing is people unlimiting them again.

And the third factor is, how they are limited. Some cars are limited by rpm limiter + gears calculation, some cars are limited by actual speed measurement, some by some entirely different mechanism.

You'll get the odd one, that goes a bit above. But in general, all Audi, BMW, VW and Merc are limited to 250 km/h, unless it's some special tuned model. Stick tyres with a different geometry on there and your speedo is anyhow off.

/M

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

thats the limited speed though, the 3.0 325i can hit that also with no turbos so I'd fancy the turbo version to keep going a fair bit longer if not limited. As noted, it's too stressful imo to be moving at that speed on a public road. Maybe you would get used to it, but I'd agree above that 200 is a more reasonable 'fast' cruising speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Anan1 wrote: »
    You'll need to change the tyres too, AFAIK tyres rated for very high speeds wear a lot faster too.

And if you get a rental round about now they'll be on Winter Tyres ... only rated to 180km/h usually ....

I feckin hate winters :(

180km/h is comfortable enough for me .. 220 in any car is grand for a short burst .. but 80 km at 220 or over is VERY tiring ... hardly any germans I know do it because:

A. Its expensive
    B. It gets old when you drive the same Autobahn every day
    C. Hitting a bird at over 200km/h is not cool :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Read somewhere that flashing your lights at other drivers was outlawed recently in Germany.

Don't know where you heard that ... if so they'll have to ban every single truck driver off the road. ..

Courtesy on their part .. i.e. its safe for you to pull in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

betafrog wrote: »
    You hit 260kph in a car with a top speed of 210!! You must have every racing team in the world beating down your door!

With a remap and the limiter removed, that engine will push a 5 to 270kph (linky). Now subtract a 80kg and a little drag when talking about a 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

With a remap and the limiter removed, that engine will push a 5 to 270kph (linky). Now subtract a 80kg and a little drag when talking about a 3.

The e60 5 is a faster platform than the e92 3 due to aerodynamics. A little more weight is a benefit at that speed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Its an agreement in Germany between manufacturers. It has nothing to do with safety of mysterious components. Did you not wonder why some M cars (and Audi RS cars) have the same hard paper limit as something far less exciting?

Japs too

The e60 5 is a faster platform than the e92 3 due to aerodynamics. A little more weight is a benefit at that speed too.

don't think thats correct, bmws figures make all the e92s with equivalent engine quicker.

eg for something that doesn't hit the limit:

e92 320d, 232km/h top speed 7.9s to 100.
    e60 520d, 223km/h top speed 8.6s to 100.

and the 535d itself, takes 6.4s to 100, the 335d 6.1s.

The aerodyamics are better on the E92 also, (only .01 though, so pretty close)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

T-Square wrote: »
    Japs too

japanese agreement is a bit stranger though,didnt they agree 180bhp maximum??

or was it 180km/h top speed?? i cant remember now?!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,053 ✭✭✭✭unkel

copacetic wrote: »
    I'd agree above that 200 is a more reasonable 'fast' cruising speed.

It depends on the car too in my experience. I'd cruise at no more than 150-160 in a good supermini or small hatch, 170ish in a decent saloon but find it far less demanding than the above to drive at around the 200 mark in say a BMW 7-series (no surprises there really).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,053 ✭✭✭✭unkel

bladebrew wrote: »
    japanese agreement is a bit stranger though,didnt they agree 180bhp maximum??

or was it 180km/h top speed?? i cant remember now?!

Wasn't it 280BHP and 180km/h?

Imagine driving your JDM Impreza WRX turbo STI and being overtaken by a Micra :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

had the auld fiat punto up to 230 on the way back from Dundalk(hey) today, then realised I was looking at the clock :D

Felt like 230kph though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

the japs have a gentlemans agreement of 300km/h for bike's,dunno about cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

If the wheels are anything apart from stock standard size it will affect the speedo's reading, by a percentage, the more of a gap between the new size against the stock size and the percentage gets bigger,

for instance some young lad driving at honda civic at 100 kph, on the speedo,
    with big 17" alloys against his stock 15 inch or 16

well his actual speed would be 106 kph.

heres a calculator for you http://www.paspeedo.com/calculator.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 baldyback

Hmmm.. the internets seems to have varying figures for the top speed, anywhere from 210 to 250kph

Damn internets!!

I have never seen the top speed of a 335d quoted at 210kph and I doubt you have either - this car is almost as poweruful as the previous generation M3. 210kph is only 130mph - this car is capeable of much more!

I'd say he got the figure from looking at a 325d, even though I'd say that one would be quicker, too.

I know the 525tds was stated 210 km/h or thereabouts with automatic.

the 35d engine definatly is hell of a lot quicker than that.

/M

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I must be getting old. I started to consider the miles per gallon when i read this thread and how much it would cost. :o

Horgan wrote: »
    for instance some young lad driving at honda civic at 100 kph, on the speedo,
    with big 17" alloys against his stock 15 inch or 16

Obviously only, if he maintains same percentage tyres. If he goes for lower profile tyres, he compensates for it .. but that's apart from the OP's initial post.

/M

faceman wrote: »
    I must be getting old. I started to consider the miles per gallon when i read this thread and how much it would cost. :o

Actually .. on a BMW diesel engine ? .. not that bad.

My 525tds was 40 mpg on average. On my last trip to Denmark (2000 km) my i was doing 225 km/h on long stretches in Germany and my average was 33 mpg across the trip. Also .. it's Diesel. It's comparable cheap.

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    I'd say he got the figure from looking at a 325d, even though I'd say that one would be quicker, too.

I know the 525tds was stated 210 km/h or thereabouts with automatic.

the 35d engine definatly is hell of a lot quicker than that.

/M

the 325d would still do 240 or so.

the 325d would still do 240 or so.

As I said .. I'd expect it to be quicker, but I could imagine, that BMW could have quoted it at 210 km/h. The 335d at 210 km/h no way though.

/M

Clearly those reporters didn't do their research right. The last even says, it's governor limited at 128 mph, which is nonsense. The agreed limit of the german manufacturers is 155 mph/250 km/h, not 128 mph/ 205 km/h.

Somebody has taken 250, written it down arsewise (swapped 0 and 5), then converted it to mph and voila. They probably never even tested the top speed or drove the car.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    As I said .. I'd expect it to be quicker, but I could imagine, that BMW could have quoted it at 210 km/h. The 335d at 210 km/h no way though.

/M

I don't think so, 239 is the quoted bmw figure for a 325d top speed. The internet is a funny place, going to the source for the actual figures would have saved him saying silly things.

I don't think so, 239 is the quoted bmw figure for a 325d top speed. The internet is a funny place, going to the source for the actual figures would have saved him saying silly things.

Well .. check the earlier posts and you know where he got his figure from :)

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

I took my 335d to 145mph and let me tell you there was plenty left in it. It was only over a short distance as i didn't want to see the blue flashing lights:)

145 is a good speed let me tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Tipp Man wrote: »
    I took my 335d to 145mph and let me tell you there was plenty left in it. It was only over a short distance as i didn't want to see the blue flashing lights:)

You are my hero,you know that

Tipp Man wrote: »

There's plenty of roads capable of it here in Ireland, however the problem is that if you meet somebody else, they would be unsuspecting and that's where it goes wrong.

The best thing to test it, if you can't go to Germany, is on a track day. It's legal and people expect it.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

Its an agreement in Germany between manufacturers. It has nothing to do with safety of mysterious components. Did you not wonder why some M cars (and Audi RS cars) have the same hard paper limit as something far less exciting?

So the legislators don't weigh in with an even tougher mandatory speed limiter.

Like in Japan, where road vehicles are legally required to stay below about 180kph.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm living in Germany over 2 years now and the novelty of speed has worn off at this stage.

Sure its great going 260, 300 etc (my bike does it ;)), but when you see your tyres and the fuel dropping you realize its a waste of good money.

I also had someone nearly side swipe the back of the bike when I was doing 260, the silly b!tch decided to change lanes just as I was passing.

Advertisement