Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Company car for around €28K - Advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

When is the Exeo due :p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

ninty9er wrote: »

I sooo would...but he's driving one already:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I think it was due in 2005 when my car was released by Audi. :p

A step in the wrong direction for me.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Don't they cost more than the OP's limit?

Not necessarily considering there would be no trade in. Only the Elite version of the isignia would come in above the 30K mark.

Is a monthly car allowance possible meaning you could put an extra few grand with it and own the car...giving more variety of options and also flatrating fuel expenses and removing tax implications.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Heroditas wrote: »
    Don't they cost more than the OP's limit?

You might squeeze a 2.0CDTi 160ps SC with a plus pack for your budget if you bargain hard.

A very nice car. Not too far away from an SRi either. Still has 18" wheels, front fogs, cruise, etc etc. I dont think you'd get an SRi though. There isnt that much margin in the Insignia, and very little discount from Opel too, considering its a new model to the market.

Might be another "step in the wrong direction" but I always reckon the top end of the C segment is better than the mean of the D.

Focus Ghia saloon with leather, bluetooth and sat nav in 1.8 Duratorq 115ps is listing at €27,200 with metallic. There's plenty of wriggle room too I'd imagine.

Though the 136 bhp diesel available in the S40 can be got in the Focus in the UK.

I'd still take the Octy VRS over a Focus anyday. Or a Legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Octavia any day.
    Enjoy spinning the wheels in 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Octavia any day.
    Enjoy spinning the wheels in 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th.....

Nothing enjoyable about that. Average FWD chassis and narrow powerband is the result of that, not raw power.

• Advertisement

Following my visits to a number of car delearships today I can say that the Octavia is winning on price and spec.

The best price on an SRi Isignia is €28,400

The best price on an SE S40 is €29,000 SE LUX €30,500

The Volkswagen guy is still waiting on his Passat prices, due wednsday and said I would be best off going for a Bluemotion Highline for my spec. 1.6 Diesel engine "Oh but its still 105bhp".

Now can somebody explain this to me because my 05 Passat 1.9TDi was 105bhp. There must be some sacrifice here to make a 1.6TDi do 105bhp. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Berty wrote: »
    Saloon. Yes, but I know the VRs is a hatchback but its a big car. The Mazda 3 in my opinion is not.

You can't have an opinion on something that's measurable!
    The Mazda 3 saloon is longer and taller than the Octavia with a longer wheelbase. The Octavia is 14mm wider, which is the width of your baby finger.
    The Mazda 3 hatch is 104mm shorter than the Octavia, by virtue of the non-saloon looking boot that the Octavia has. Unless you need the boot space, the Mazda would be the more entertaining car on a twisty road with a better engine.
    I'd also sooner the Insignia. Better car than the Octavia, but it would need to be seeing as it's in the class up.

Biro wrote: »
    The Mazda 3 hatch is 104mm shorter than the Octavia, by virtue of the non-saloon looking boot that the Octavia has. Unless you need the boot space, the Mazda would be the more entertaining car on a twisty road with a better engine.
    I'd also sooner the Insignia. Better car than the Octavia, but it would need to be seeing as it's in the class up.

The Octavia has more prescence(VRs especially) than a Mazda 3. Whether or not that is opinion is neither here nor there but simply my mind telling me so. My brother has a Mazda 3 and I don't like it at all.

RE Boot: I do need a large boot because it is a company car and I would be carrying a load of crap most of the time.

The interior of the Insignia felt very plasticy(sp) with a very cheap feeling dashboard. I did drive the Insignia SRi 130PS 6 speed manual and it felt rather good. I actually drove the SC when it first came out and thought I felt a lot of lag in 1st and 2nd but the SRi was smooth.

My dealer does not have a VRs so I have not driven one so the Opel wins on that argument.

The VRs looks better than the Opel in my opinion.

Which would I prefer? Insignia Elite!

What is a comparable in between car for me? Octavia VRs.(which has Bluetooth and the Opels do not costing €425 extra and the car is also over €2K more)

I'd be spending the extra few quid and getting the 160ps Insignia Berty. IMO, its a much nicer car than the Octavia, although not as quick. Tyres are also fairly pricey, at around 175 quid a corner.

Just a heads up - there is a 1000euro dealer reg bonus for November, so make sure the Skoda dealer knows this would be for Jan 2010 and not for now. He could be factoring it into his price, and may lead to complications down the line!

I'd be spending the extra few quid and getting the 160ps Insignia Berty. IMO, its a much nicer car than the Octavia, although not as quick. Tyres are also fairly pricey, at around 175 quid a corner.

But the Insignia is already €2.400 more than the Octavia at that so the 160PS would make it €2,900 more.
    Just a heads up - there is a 1000euro dealer reg bonus for November, so make sure the Skoda dealer knows this would be for Jan 2010 and not for now. He could be factoring it into his price, and may lead to complications down the line!

I think you may have to explain this a little more to me if you could. :confused:

Basically its more discount offered by Skoda on any car registered in the Month of November. They did it for Sept too.

It goes to the dealer, but most of em should/will pass it on to the punter.

I was speaking to the dealer we buy Skoda's from last week and he says he doesnt know if it will continue into Dec/Jan. I'll keep an eye on it wither way, because I've a few quotes out for Skodas.

Basically its more discount offered by Skoda on any car registered in the Month of November. They did it for Sept too.

Then again this car would not be registered until January so the dealer would not be getting this anyway so I assume he has not factored this into the price.

He said by mid week he will have full specs and prices so you never know it could be extended.

Most dealers are saying people are coming in looking at used cars but new cars are a little thin on the ground so possibly Skoda Ireland will recognise this and make changes accordinly.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

To compare the Skoda and the Subaru on spec is one option but i would recommend taking a test drive in both especially on a wet greasy day and there will be only one winner . Torque steering front wheel drive vrs sure footed all whell drive i know which i would prefer!

I always thought there was a Subaru dealer in Limerick City but I drove up and it turned out to be a Daihatsu dealer with a big sign on the door which was hand written. Salesman 087 XXXXXX
    Serviceman 087 XXXXXXX

Hard times ahead. :(

The nearest Subaru dealer by the website is Puckane in North Tipperary. Middle of flippin' nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Darsad has a point...as soon as I drove the legacy, I was sold and I looked at all the family size cars in estate form...only one that came close and was actually better was the 2.4 159 but its not a proper estate so I had to pass, very reluctantly. The scooby boxer diesel is so smooth aswell....just drove up to Donegal today, almost 4hrs in the saddle and it was a breeze...the heated seats came in handy aswell this morning.

If you are swaying for the Octavia....do yourself a favour and spec the DSG..

• Advertisement

I always thought there was a Subaru dealer in Limerick City but I drove up and it turned out to be a Daihatsu dealer with a big sign on the door which was hand written. Salesman 087 XXXXXX
    Serviceman 087 XXXXXXX

Hard times ahead. :(

The nearest Subaru dealer by the website is Puckane in North Tipperary. Middle of flippin' nowhere.
    Clerys in Eastway used to be a Subaru dealer AFAIR. Not sure if it still is. Ask your local Toyota dealer:p, the two companies collaborate a lot, but be pretty much assured nobody will know the specs in the Toyota dealership, that said, it might be the same in Puckane:rolleyes:

Anyone will order one for you, but you'll most likely have to travel to drive it. The Volvo dealer who dealt with the company before may do the boss a deal.

The Volvo dealer who dealt with the company before may do the boss a deal.

Possibly because the Garage is local to him as well.

The S40 S is no longer available for a limited time. All SE models are being sold as S prices. The SE Lux is a €1,500 leap which is quite good.

So that option is being tucked into the corner of my mind in case I need it.

Possibly because the Garage is local to him as well.

The S40 S is no longer available for a limited time. All SE models are being sold as S prices. The SE Lux is a €1,500 leap which is quite good.

So that option is being tucked into the corner of my mind in case I need it.

What I meant was that if the boss deals with them regularly, they may order you a Legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

If you were thinking of the Legace, Bandon should be able to get you one. They'd know Denis and Mary Ryan well enough (Subaru dealer in Cork) cos they used be based down towards BAndon

I went to Puckane this morning and drove a 2009 Legacy.

The dealer told me about the new model which will be available to order for 2010( I forgot about that ) but he will not have prices until the 1st week in December and nobody will have a demo car until the 2nd week in December which we bought agreed was ridiculous.

The engine was fine and the car was well specced(09 model) but the interior was cheap and ugly and the seats although heated were uncomfortable and not near as sporty enough to match the spec of the car.

Albeit the engine has a nasty tick at idle. He said the new car has NO caractheristics from the 09 model and surely the noise(which he agreed is in the boxer) will be gone because they reduced the noise on the Impreza diesel.

He said "THE JAPS"(his words) were basing the Legacy against the ACCORD. The car will be much bigger and very roomy inside like the Accord but he said he would still be looking for around €31K retail for it.

I told him he needed to be around €26-€26.5k for a deal. He has my number for when prices come in but I think a car will be selected and ordered long before Subaru Ireland pull their thumb from their a*ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I went to Puckane this morning and drove a 2009 Legacy.

The dealer told me about the new model which will be available to order for 2010( I forgot about that ) but he will not have prices until the 1st week in December and nobody will have a demo car until the 2nd week in December which we bought agreed was ridiculous.

The engine was fine and the car was well specced(09 model) but the interior was cheap and ugly and the seats although heated were uncomfortable and not near as sporty enough to match the spec of the car.

Albeit the engine has a nasty tick at idle. He said the new car has NO caractheristics from the 09 model and surely the noise(which he agreed is in the boxer) will be gone because they reduced the noise on the Impreza diesel.

He said "THE JAPS"(his words) were basing the Legacy against the ACCORD. The car will be much bigger and very roomy inside like the Accord but he said he would still be looking for around €31K retail for it.

I told him he needed to be around €26-€26.5k for a deal. He has my number for when prices come in but I think a car will be selected and ordered long before Subaru Ireland pull their thumb from their a*ss.

I'm not sure if CO2 will be the same for the next Leggie - it's a bigger, heavier car and the current one is already close to the limit for that tax band. Personally I consider the current Legacy diesel a step above anything else you've mentioned - certainly as a driving tool - but to each their own... In fairness it's a pretty old model to be registering in '10...

I know the old Mazda 6 diesel had problems but there is a new 2.2d engine just out and in Sport spec it's very tasty (don't like the grill tho...)

http://images.clickedit.co.uk/1219/11551085.jpg

I'd check out the Insignia also.

The Octavia might be a cult favorite but you'll look like a boy-racer taxi-driver. Call me a snob but I just wouldn't...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

pburns wrote: »
    ...The Octavia might be a cult favorite but you'll look like a boy-racer taxi-driver. Call me a snob but I just wouldn't...
    :D:D:D:D Very good.

pburns wrote: »
    The Octavia might be a cult favorite but you'll look like a boy-racer taxi-driver. Call me a snob but I just wouldn't...

I saw a red Tourer VRS 2009 today and that is far from a boy racer taxi.

Horses for courses of course. I hate seeing Megane's on the roads because they are invariably driven by arseholes who cannot drive properl which is why I will not buy one. I will not buy a Laguna because I had one and couldn't sell it easily. The list goes on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

You might be able to sneak a 180ps 9-3 in under €28,000 - depends on how desperate they are to sell a car. Linear is now a half decent spec, Linear Sport would be better. Wouldn't recommend the Saab usually, but the 150ps engine is a beut - can only imagine with an extra turbo it would be pretty special.

Next year the Insignia 160ps will all be Ecoflex models. Was costing €200 more than the standard model, but comes in to Band B for road tax with better fuel economy. Opel don't reckon they'll be bringing pricing down, but don't rule it out yet. As Drummerboy said earlier, SC with plus pack would be your best option (Standard SRI 5dr costs me more than €28k so no dealer will do that for you).

Mondeo next year gets Bluetooth across the range, and even Alloys on the Style. There will be a 2.0Tdci 140ps 6 Speed in Band C for tax (€302). Didn't get pricing but the 2.0 Zetec will come under €30,000 so should be within reach.

Alfa 159? Business Edition 120ps with Blue & Me comes in under budget - shame it's got wheel trims which totally ruins the whole look of the car.

Before buying in the UK, check pricing here. UK VAT is going back to 17.5% in January so pricing will increase. Doesn't really matter to exporters though.

• Advertisement

R.O.R wrote: »
    You might be able to sneak a 180ps 9-3 in under €28,000 - depends on how desperate they are to sell a car. Linear is now a half decent spec, Linear Sport would be better. Wouldn't recommend the Saab usually, but the 150ps engine is a beut - can only imagine with an extra turbo it would be pretty special.

I do not like the interior of the Saab.
    Next year the Insignia 160ps will all be Ecoflex models. Was costing €200 more than the standard model, but comes in to Band B for road tax with better fuel economy. Opel don't reckon they'll be bringing pricing down, but don't rule it out yet. As Drummerboy said earlier, SC with plus pack would be your best option (Standard SRI 5dr costs me more than €28k so no dealer will do that for you).

Think again. Hinchys Garage in Garryspillane Co Limerick has quoted me €28k for the SRi with Metallic paint.

€27k for the SC with Alloys and fogs.

Ennis road Motors e-mailed me earlier saying they will do the SRi for
    €29,995 including metallic paint.

All prices on the road.
    Mondeo next year gets Bluetooth across the range, and even Alloys on the Style. There will be a 2.0Tdci 140ps 6 Speed in Band C for tax (€302). Didn't get pricing but the 2.0 Zetec will come under €30,000 so should be within reach.

Mondeo - I do not like them, but as mentioned, only if its the Titanium X Sport kit from the UK for €25 but then again I could get a 2010 Irish car for a little bit extra. :rolleyes:
    Alfa 159? Business Edition 120ps with Blue & Me comes in under budget - shame it's got wheel trims which totally ruins the whole look of the car.

Wheel trims. :mad: I would not consider the Alfa for realiability reasons.
    Before buying in the UK, check pricing here. UK VAT is going back to 17.5% in January so pricing will increase. Doesn't really matter to exporters though.

After checking the UK pricing there are only certain cars I would consider which are the high end cars. Audi and VW seem to hold their prices over there but the BMW, Lexus and Saab are pretty decent pricing for low mileage 2009 vehicles.

Fully loaded SE-I Lexus IS220d in the UK landed here for €31K. Same car here is over €45k.

Advertisement