Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are luxobarges really affordable to buy and run?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

mullingar wrote: »
    Off topic a bit:

I hope its not that 1.8 petrol C5 you are selling! wow a 1.8 doing 22mpg:eek:, what did you do do it? fit a 500hp turbo kit with 1000cc injectors?

Whoops - there's only 52 wks in a year! Make that c. €2.5k - top of head figures mind you. Getting about 31 mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

B11gt00e wrote: »
    Absolute fair play.... i saw your post on transmission fluid replacement and was dead on... you don't just appreciate the big 7... you love her... ya gotta love your car.

lotta people in here having flings with cars, or seemingly running car harems like junkyard and some others... but ya got to love your car.. my biddy is sweeeeet...

Keep on cruising voodoo... I rarely pass a seven or eight without a moment of appreciation, but then, all the other models, new or old wouldn't make me flinch....
    I think the legends look good and all.. though never had experienced the drive... say its loaded and smooth... I like the v6's myself in any configuration, but take the opportunity to take my brothers 5.3 out whenever he's feeling generous as the chorous of the multivalve engine is something to behold... more so when smooth and discrete like on the high end marks... you don't need to promote the 8,10 or 12 with exhaust... the beauty is in the smoothness!

Cheers buddy, appreciate that. The biggest pain without a doubt, and I don't mind admitting it is indeed the motor tax, I find myself constantly saving for it. I only wish they'd move the tax over to petrol and diesel instead, I only do 12k miles a year and i'm paying many many many many times more than someone who does twice my miles in a car half as polluting.

I was talking to an english guy and two australians this week and they COULD NOT BELIEVE what I was paying. Genuine shock, you should have seen their faces. The Aussies said that they'll never complain about their $250 registration fee again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Cheers buddy, appreciate that. The biggest pain without a doubt, and I don't mind admitting it is indeed the motor tax, I find myself constantly saving for it. I only wish they'd move the tax over to petrol and diesel instead, I only do 12k miles a year and i'm paying many many many many times more than someone who does twice my miles in a car half as polluting.

I was talking to an english guy and two australians this week and they COULD NOT BELIEVE what I was paying. Genuine shock, you should have seen their faces. The Aussies said that they'll never complain about their $250 registration fee again.

Six of one and half a dozen of the other. Both the UK and Australia have much higher income tax, be glad you're not paying that!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Confab wrote: »
    I've currently got $10 to my name (about €6) and no job, so it's safe to say I can't afford one right now :D
    Confab wrote: »
    Six of one and half a dozen of the other. Both the UK and Australia have much higher income tax, be glad you're not paying that!

...indeed but big tax % on Zero income = .....well, zero. N'est-ce pas ? :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

They also don't have compulsory insurance. Third party is covered by the state. If you want insurance, its as low as eur300 for a 22 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

junkyard wrote: »
    Why not buy a classic Mercedes or BMW from the 1970's or 80's? Cheap tax, no NCT very usable as an every day car and most parts are still available. I'm driving a Mercedes 450 SEL at the moment almost every day and have no issues with it, it's good enough on petrol, mid 20's on a run, road tax is only 48 euros a year and it's a very nice car to drive, power-steering, electric windows and an electric sunroof. Something like this is hard to beat for value for money. 4-6k euros should get you a good one.

I am so gay for your car! Kudos on an excellent purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭emurphy

junkyard wrote: »
    Why not buy a classic Mercedes or BMW from the 1970's or 80's? Cheap tax, no NCT very usable as an every day car and most parts are still available. I'm driving a Mercedes 450 SEL at the moment almost every day and have no issues with it, it's good enough on petrol, mid 20's on a run, road tax is only 48 euros a year and it's a very nice car to drive, power-steering, electric windows and an electric sunroof. Something like this is hard to beat for value for money. 4-6k euros should get you a good one.

simply beautiful car mate. Fair dues. Real head turner imo. I'm dead jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sosulio

galwaytt wrote: »

Our 'normal' 06 Saab 1.9Tid diesel, even with 41mpg average, comes out like this:
    Tax - 614
    Insurance - 496
    Tyres - 200
    Servicing - 400
    Diesel - 15k miles @ 41mpg avg - Eur 1774
    Depreciation - jeebus, huge, what.....4000 p.a. ?
    Total cost p.a. € 7484 or €143 per week

My brother runs an 02 Saab 9-5 3.0turbo (petrol), and running costs are on a par with the 2.0t he had before it - only the tax is the difference.

QUOTE]

I'm currently driving the 2.0t and getting just 20mpg with all city driving - may as well be driving the 3.0l

This was my stepping stone towards a luxobarge, 2.5k for 01 and no problems so far

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

emurphy wrote: »

the first one is absolutely beautiful, I've no idea what it is worth but that seems like good value to me, go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If you are tempted avoid the latter w126 S Class sure it'll be built like a tank but you are in the "intermediate" period, a car that'll cost a bomb to tax and does have enough electronic bits to punch a hole in your wallet if something does go wrong and I see the NCT is almost out. The 1984 e class 2.3 is ideal if in good shape - easy to work on M102 engine, simple auto box, no tricky electrics/sealed black boxes. The W116 S Class looks a peach, but would have to make sure its well preserved to justify the price (Even Mercs rust and if its got into the box sections/suspension supports/inner wings the cars a probably not viable)

http://www.w116.org/library/yourclassic9403

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I'm currently driving the 2.0t and getting just 20mpg with all city driving - may as well be driving the 3.0l

This was my stepping stone towards a luxobarge, 2.5k for 01 and no problems so far

Sweet jeebus - that's worse than a 911.....worse than a friends S8, too.....:eek: ....brother gets 26mpg on a 22km commute. His 2.0t was doing 27mpg. Both auto, btw.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement