Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad Max: Fury Road

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Having watched Mad Max, The Road Warrior and Fury Road over the course of 24 hours, they could aptly be described as 'mad, madder, maddest'.

Relentless is the optimum word here. It's not quite a non-stop car chase since they do actually stop every now and then, but it certainly feels like you can't take a proper breath until the credits roll (complete with delightfully colourful character names, many of which you probably missed amidst the proudly cacophonous sound mix of grunts, musical bombast and of course revving motors).

Miller seems reluctant to leave the camera still for any more than a couple of seconds at a time, bar a handful of picturesque, almost David Lean-esque moments he loosely scatters through the narrative. The camera otherwise moves with the restlessness of the film's twitchiest characters. The editing finds some new angle of desert grit to probe every couple of seconds, and since we all know reality moves boringly slowly at times he rightly pumps up the movement speed by around 33% or so from time to time to keep things moving. In another film, this would probably be infuriating, but this film is the most knowingly unremitting action film since Crank. Helping that is a ludicrous soundtrack that cleverly seems to blend into the sound of the world - indeed, one recurrent character allows diegetic and non-diegetic music to explicitly overlap in a delightful way that earns a chuckle everytime the gag is repeated.

Minimalist is the last word one would associate with this film - 'max' has never been a more appropriate name for the protagonist - but yet there's a welcome if not subtlety then at least efficiency to the film's storytelling. A prologue voiceover aside, little time is wasted on establishing lore or any of that jazz. The film's ideas emerge pretty organically all things considered, some quick exposition aside, and the details of the world are dished out at a pleasant pace instead of a straight-up overload. The much-heralded / feared feminist subtext is very welcome indeed - after introducing some stereotypical damsels in distress at an early point, Miller and his co-writers spend the next 90 minutes challenging and subverting those gender roles to quite pleasing effect. It doesn't go quite as far as it could - one or two of the damsels remain damselled - but nonetheless it's supremely satisfying to see male and female characters operating on a level playing field for much of the running time, and even eventually overpower the obscene patriarchy. And it's actually not that aspect that minimises Max's role, but rather Hardy's performance, piling on the gruff grunts to an almost silly degree. Max is at his best when keeping mum, and some of his simple gestures and nods make for some of the most effective and affecting character beats.

I'm not quite sure whether the visual style fully cohered for me, I have to admit. The exaggerated colour saturation is certainly fetching and mostly perfectly suited to the bizarre dystopia. But I also felt at times it was pushed in such extreme directions its artificiality became too obvious (ditto the CG in the opening section). Notably the night scenes, with their pure blue - looks great but the IMO slightly haphazard attempts at stylising the way the few direct light sources in the scenes looked made for a jarring effect, almost like something out of Sin City. And extending on that, the film's complete abandonment of anything resembling the world as we know it proves both an asset and a liability. In terms of the imaginative imagery and action it allows, the decision to go full-on cinematic fantasy is a wise one. Yet it also denies the film some of that more believable grit and weight that kept the first two films somewhat grounded. Still, when there's such wonderfully surreal chaos on screen, it's hard to begrudge some of the indulgences with physics - well, one pointless and gimmicky 'stuff coming at the screen in 3D' moment aside (it looks incredibly stupid in 2D). The film is likely more CG-heavy than some fans would have liked, but the car chases, rusty weaponry and brutally cartoonish brawls are still pleasingly physical.

This is just an action film at the end of the day, but it is the sort of utterly deranged, excited and go-for-broke action films that are a rare breed these days. It goes without saying it's one of the most distinctive blockbusters of recent times, showing up the majority of its competitors even during its downtime. It's weird, visceral and frankly rough around the edges, but it's undoubtedly the Mad Max film George Miller always wanted to make, but never had the money, resources or technology. Thankfully somebody was stupid enough to lend him the tools to finally do so.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Its f**king amazing. Go see it now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Went to see this in the Odeon in 3D. Amazing film, absolutely loved it, but the 8:45 showing I was at wasn't sold out which worries me, so everyone needs to get on their facebook and proselytise the **** out of this so we don't have another Judge Dredd situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Omg loved it! I love the old mad max so had hoped this would live up to them but it's even better loved it!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

Saw it in 2d earlier. It's gloriously bonkers.
    Fantastic film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Not trying to derail this thread but I was planning on going to see this movie tonight in one of my local Odeon's. Coming in at almost €30.00 for 2 standard 3D tickets.

WTF?

An absolute joke.

I see Liffey Valley is only €9.99 for a standard ticket, and the seats are much better. I'll be taking my business there I think.

I rarely go to the cinema anymore to be honest. I worked in one for nearly 4 years during college and doing professional exams and I always got free tickets and big discounts on the food so maybe that's why I am a bit shellshocked haha.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

chops018 wrote: »
    Not trying to derail this thread but I was planning on going to see this movie tonight in one of my local Odeon's. Coming in at almost €30.00 for 2 standard 3D tickets.

WTF?

An absolute joke.

I see Liffey Valley is only €9.99 for a standard ticket, and the seats are much better. I'll be taking my business there I think.

I rarely go to the cinema anymore to be honest. I worked in one for nearly 4 years during college and doing professional exams and I always got free tickets and big discounts on the food so maybe that's why I am a bit shellshocked haha.

This is a post converted movie anyway so wouldn't bother with 3D unless it's your only option. Only movies actually filmed in 3D are worth seeing in the format in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Whats currently the best cinema in Dublin to see this in 2D?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭omri

Seen it last night. Missed first few opening scenes so definitely will go to see it again over the weekend. Probably one of the best movies I've seen since Guardians of the Galaxy. Im surprised that for so little dialogue the movie seems to be very well balanced and the plot progression is very smooth. It's advertised as Mad Max which would indicate that Max is a central character for this movie but it's really Furiosa and Nux who steal the show. For me Max is too quiet, almost a copy of Bane but put in different scenery. They need to focus more on his character in next parts. Overall I think its really good movie, surprisingly good. Would recommend it to anyone. Now it's time to watch the first 3 parts again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Thargor wrote: »

Saw it in glorious 2D in the Savoy last night, hadn't been in Screen 1 in years but it's hard to beat in fairness.

Unbelievable flick as well, everyone get in when you can!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Thargor wrote: »
    Lighthouse Screen 1!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Really good (and long) article in Vareity on the history of Mad Max Fury Road.

http://feature.variety.com/mad-max/#/content/article

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Really good (and long) article in Vareity on the history of Mad Max Fury Road.

http://feature.variety.com/mad-max/#/content/article

Sorry kind of derailing from this thread sightly but there's a documentary I watched maybe a year or two ago which also goes into some of the back story and making of the original Mad Max movie and the origins of those grungy Ozzie exploitation movies of the 70s and 80s. The Docs called Not quite Hollywood The wild untold story of ozploitation. One of the best documentaries I've ever seen on exploitation cinema, really entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No Quite Hollywood crops up on Film4 every so often, its a bit long but certainly of interest to anyone who enjoys "spit and sawdust" style cinema.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

e_e wrote: »
    Lighthouse Screen 1!

What's the sound like in Lighthouse 1? I saw this last night in Rathmines and the sound was fine but I want to be rattling in my seat if possible.

Pretty good (keep in mind that it's a screen more fit for arthouse films than blockbusters) but I saw it in the IMAX yesterday and the sound definitely had that effect. It's a bit expensive though if you're not an unlimited member.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I saw it in Lighthouse 2 last night and the sound was perfect, very powerful. As ever, don't panic too much, Savoy and Lighthouse are both excellent cinemas no matter which screen you're in.

Went to an early afternoon screning yesterday and never seen one so packed, granted the place wasn't wedged but generally during the afternoon you'd see maybe a handful of people. The trip would have been event free were it not for the ass directly behind me who took out his phone and had a discussion with some other ass, it started with "I'm at the cinema now, film is ****e and full of nerds." I told him to cop on and have some manners at which stage he threatened me before telling his his conversationalist that "some cunt just told me to put my phone away. What the fuck like". He put the phone away after I told him to have some fucking manners, so it could be worse.

As for the film, well I walked out of the cinema at 10 to 5 and would have gone to the 5:30 screening if I could have. Will definitely be making a return trip as Fury Road is the kind of old school, balls to the walls, full throttle nonsense that we need more of. It's at heart a chase film and stars with a bang never letting up. The action is well shot, the colour palette is beautiful and I liked how it wasn't all grey but rather it was as if the inhabitants of the world found what beauty they could. I'd happily write a lot more but going to wait till after a second viewing before getting my thoughts straight as I spent much of yesterday's viewing edging toward the edge of my seat, laughing with mad abandon during much of the mayhem and telling the 9 year old inside me that it was well worth the 20 year wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

it was well worth the 20 year wait.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

Considering that I saw the trilogy when I was 9 and I'm not 29, it was for me a 20 year wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Considering that I saw the trilogy when I was 9 and I'm not 29, it was for me a 20 year wait.

Ahh I misread your post apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

I'm pretty disgusted with myself for not going to the double bill of 1&2 last Friday in Liffey Valley. Anyone go?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭techteacher

I'm pretty disgusted with myself for not going to the double bill of 1&2 last Friday in Liffey Valley. Anyone go?

no missed it aswell but it sounds like a fun night out!

Meanwhile on Letterboxd. :P

5701046.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So this is decent then? How important would it be to have seen the original trilogy?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

So this is decent then? How important would it be to have seen the original trilogy?

The first two are must watch movies regardless. But it would be a good idea to watch them first. Beyond Thunderdome is pretty ****e and wasn't even originally written as a Max movie

Completely unimportant to have seen the rest. All the films are effectively standalone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The first two are must watch movies regardless. But it would be a good idea to watch them first. Beyond Thunderdome is pretty ****e and wasn't even originally written as a Max movie
    Completely unimportant to have seen the rest. All the films are effectively standalone.

Thank you, gentlemen. There are far too many classics I haven't seen.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Went to an early afternoon screning yesterday and never seen one so packed, granted the place wasn't wedged but generally during the afternoon you'd see maybe a handful of people. The trip would have been event free were it not for the ass directly behind me who took out his phone and had a discussion with some other ass, it started with "I'm at the cinema now, film is ****e and full of nerds." I told him to cop on and have some manners at which stage he threatened me before telling his his conversationalist that "some cunt just told me to put my phone away. What the fuck like". He put the phone away after I told him to have some fucking manners, so it could be worse.

As for the film, well I walked out of the cinema at 10 to 5 and would have gone to the 5:30 screening if I could have. Will definitely be making a return trip as Fury Road is the kind of old school, balls to the walls, full throttle nonsense that we need more of. It's at heart a chase film and stars with a bang never letting up. The action is well shot, the colour palette is beautiful and I liked how it wasn't all grey but rather it was as if the inhabitants of the world found what beauty they could. I'd happily write a lot more but going to wait till after a second viewing before getting my thoughts straight as I spent much of yesterday's viewing edging toward the edge of my seat, laughing with mad abandon during much of the mayhem and telling the 9 year old inside me that it was well worth the 20 year wait.

Holy sh!t, I'm actually mad just reading this, should've gone over the seat. Why do scum like that even go to cinemas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Jesus, I'm getting old.
    I thought it was derivative and effectively a poor Mad Max 2 with bits of Mad Max 3.

Advertisement