Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Well: Q&A with Padraig Parkinson

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Padraig06

Hi Padraig,

can you (a) tell us an anectode about Terry Rodgers (my auld fella used to play poker with him, sounded like a madman), and (b) give us your No 1 restaurant recommendation in Paris so I can impress the Mrs?

Thanks

Tournament in the eccentrics club late 80s.Dave Jackson moved all in and got called(I never called him!) Dealed grabs his cards.They didnt get as far as the muck but she declared the hand dead anyway.Jackson had a fit.So did everyone else but for a slightly different reason.Terry was called and shouted at Dave that he should have protected his hand with a chip.Jackson pointed out that he didnt have one as he was all in.Rogers shouted that he should have used a cigarette packet or match box instead.Jackson said he didnt smoke.GIVE THAT MAN BACK HIS CARDS.Youre right .He was bit of a nutter

Renaissance on rue de la Roquette (near place leon Blume) is a decent spot with no bull****

Flushdraw wrote: »
    Great read so far Padraig,

Who is your favourite player to watch/commentate on?
    Is there any player that you constantly own/owns you in live games?
    Is there one particular hand you played that sticks in your mind? (be in the worst or best hand you played)
    Have you any poker regrets?
    Marty, Don, Roy the boy, Andy, Liam and yourself. Who's the fish?
    Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?

Cheers for taking the time,

Tony

thanks a lot

The Fish is always good for a laugh.Tony G is pretty entertaining when hes only half in the bag

David Benmine won nearly every big pot I played against him for a couple of years.It got funny after a while but cost me a small fortune

first hand of ME final table I raised with KJ of hearts.Huck moved all in. I folded under protest.I think about twice a day! I keep forgetting to ask him wtf he had

Its pretty obvious!
    10 years time?probably trying to finish this in the well thing with onefingered typing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Just an add on to the PAW rig bit,

i've heard your name pronounced so many different ways on TV and each time i die a little bit inside, same with Harringtons.

What's your personal preference proununciation wise?

aya14 wrote: »
    This is a dialogue between me and you at a Tourney in dublin(not sure which one) 2 years ago.
    Note: you were quite inebriated as was I.

I walk into lift as do you.
    Me: Evening Padraig
    You: how are ya?
    Me: grand, any luck today?
    You: yes, all bad mind.
    At this stage you've pressed number 4 on lift dial and I've best 5.
    Me:I'm Ken by the way
    We shake hands.
    Me: Bet you $50 I can make us stop on the third floor without pressing number 3.
    You:huh?
    Now I press emergency stop on lift as it hits number 3 on the little panel.
    Me:told ya
    You:Ok I'll buy you a pint I never took your bet.
    Me:fair enough pal.
    you now exit lift.

Any recollection of this?

Patrick Antonius or Tom Dwan?
    Barry Greenstein or Chris Ferguson?

If you could live your life by one motto what would it be?

Thanks great read so far, you are a fantastic embassador for Irish poker and the game in general.

thanks

OK I owe you a
    durr.Antonius knocked me out of LNP
    Barry more fun

motto? If youre not making mistakes youre not trying hard enough

Great read thanks for taking the time to do it.

Just one quick question
    During the first few levels of a major event will you take a known race for all your chips?

No.Not unless Ive got a bad draw and the table isnt going to break for hours and the other guy is a nuisance like Ivey .Or theres a good match on the telly!

• Advertisement

Just an add on to the PAW rig bit,

i've heard your name pronounced so many different ways on TV and each time i die a little bit inside, same with Harringtons.

What's your personal preference proununciation wise?

LOL
    PAW RIG

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Hi Padraig, great well so far. Always love your commentary, makes whatever mundane game going on 100 times more entertaining.

Questions, apologies if i've missed these being answered already;

1 - When and how did you start playing poker?
    2 - Any other standout hands from the 1999 WSOP?
    3 - Why were you so against hole card cams back in the days of LNP to begin with?
    4 - You seem to constantly rip on Hellmuth. Bit of needle/history or is it just cos he's so easy to wind up?
    5 - What do you think of this FullFlush guy?
    6 - Do we have a prayer against France?
    7 - Favorite place to go away on holiday?

Cheers again Padraig.

glad someones enjoying it!
    JCR in Trinity
    that KJ hand I mentioned earlier;Also with 4 tables left I ran 60000 into 500000 in a couple of hours.Then I got AA v QQ and was allin for the chip lead.I really didnt want to play a pot that big
    I was playing pretty fast back then and didnt think it was good for me to show just how fast.
    I get on very well with Phil but youre right.Its too easy! In all fairness he takes it very well.I think he likes it
    Not much
    I dont think so but Im going anyway.I was chatting to Cascarino a few days ago and he thinks weve got a chance.I hope hes right
    Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Messyjay

What a great read!

I have to have a go myself. We can both agree that I never know when to shut up!

1. Three WSOP Main Event Champions who most deserved the victory?
    2. Three WSOP Main Event Final Tablists who most deserved to win but didn't?
    3. Which year did Liam Flood win the Irish Open?
    4. Favorite Mad Marty Story?
    5. Mad Marty story that you've heard the most times?
    6. Worst televised poker play you can remember that you commentated on?
    7. Eight players, three days. What is the best way to find out who is the best poker player?
    8. One more Alan Betson story, please.

cheers...

Messyjay wrote: »
    What a great read!

I have to have a go myself. We can both agree that I never know when to shut up!

1. Three WSOP Main Event Champions who most deserved the victory?
    2. Three WSOP Main Event Final Tablists who most deserved to win but didn't?
    3. Which year did Liam Flood win the Irish Open?
    4. Favorite Mad Marty Story?
    5. Mad Marty story that you've heard the most times?
    6. Worst televised poker play you can remember that you commentated on?
    7. Eight players, three days. What is the best way to find out who is the best poker player?
    8. One more Alan Betson story, please.

cheers...

fair comment!

1) Doyle

Stu
    Strauss
    2)Bobby Hoff lost to a guy who was 8 sheets to the wind
    TJ ouch!
    Julian and not just for 02
    3)every year that nobody can remember who won
    4) the oneliner
    5)dont do this to me!
    6)phil claiming he didnt mean to say allin
    7)you tell me
    8)
    Alan was playing in the jackpot after a few beers.Dave ONeill was dealing and used to get quite flustered when Alan was around.This pot got going bigtime with several raises before the flop.It all happened so fast that Dave lost the plot.All Alan wanted to know was how much he had to put in.Dave stuttered and stammered and came up with 3 or 4 different counts.Alan just raised an eyebrow and said "Is it a ****ing secret or what?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

ever search for money down the back of the sofa?

• Advertisement

YULETIRED wrote: »
    ever search for money down the back of the sofa?

Sure. Never found any notes though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Quick one.

Do you rate Hellmuth. Is he as good as he thinks he is.

How would hellmuth rank among all wsop main event champions

Quick one.

Do you rate Hellmuth. Is he as good as he thinks he is.

How would hellmuth rank among all wsop main event champions

Noones as good as Phil thinks he is!
    But I certainly rate him very highly as a tournament player.he may come accross as being way over the top but hes very,very driven and has a McEnroelike ability to psyche himself up.I first met him a few months before he won the ME and he told anyone who wanted to listen and several people who didnt that he was going to win it.I know mike Sexton rates him(he backed him at 10/1 with Chip to win a Holdem bracelet a few years ago and Chip was screaming settlement when Phil got down to the last 5.Phil won). I think Lederer once said that he might be the best in the world at extracting chips from weaker players and hes not far off the mark though Phil has pointed out on the pokerShow live that he has won in shorter fields against the very best.
    Away from the table hes good company believe it or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I read this whole thread with a big grin on my face. Thanks for doing it P diddy.

Actaully i have one question: Whats the worst hand in Omaha and whats the biggest pot you ever won with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭ShipIt

I am just out of bed and have spent the last hour reading this and its definitely the most entertaining Well I have ever read...
    I hope u dont take this the wrong way but u are definitely more entertaining and funny to read than to watch on tv or listen to on radio...I always enjoy ur blog and would def buy ur book if u ever write one...

1. Benyamine or The Don...whos the better player and who has won more?
    2. Ur best Rory Liffey story?
    3. Any great Noel Furlong gamble stories when he was famed for his horseracing coups?
    4. Do u play online these days?..if so what game?

Fair play for this...cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

Hi Padraig,

Every time there's a new episode of High stakes poker, the forums are lit up with posters calling players like Elesra, farha and lately Negrano fish.

1. How do you feel about that, are they justified or is that game just beyond their understanding?

2. You seem to have respect for Stu Unger, did you play with him and how good was he?

thanks.

ShipIt wrote: »
    I am just out of bed and have spent the last hour reading this and its definitely the most entertaining Well I have ever read...
    I hope u dont take this the wrong way but u are definitely more entertaining and funny to read than to watch on tv or listen to on radio...I always enjoy ur blog and would def buy ur book if u ever write one...

1. Benyamine or The Don...whos the better player and who has won more?
    2. Ur best Rory Liffey story?
    3. Any great Noel Furlong gamble stories when he was famed for his horseracing coups?
    4. Do u play online these days?..if so what game?

Fair play for this...cheers
    hiya

Sorry about the tv and radio!

1)The Don by a mile
    David is a very creative player but the Don is the real pro
    2)Galway New years eve a few years ago.A bunch of my poker friends had flown in to celebrate (it was before the IPC).Rory was the designated driver as hed been off the beer for months and we were going to an eamonnmichelle gig in the quays.At about 3 pm I wandered into the bar to find Rory and Jesse on their 4th hot whiskey.that was the last bit of sense I got out of them all day!all hell broke loose. The next day Rory had to go to his aunts for lunch but he was ****ed.We tried to tell him maybe he should give it a miss but he thought he was fine.it all went great till Rory told his aunt it was the best bit of beef hed had for years.It was lamb
    3) not that I can tell here

looserock wrote: »
    Hi Padraig,

Every time there's a new episode of High stakes poker, the forums are lit up with posters calling players like Elesra, farha and lately Negrano fish.

1. How do you feel about that, are they justified or is that game just beyond their understanding?

2. You seem to have respect for Stu Unger, did you play with him and how good was he?

thanks.

Yes

Only once but I watched him all day the
    first day the 3rd time he won.He was unbelievable
    Mike Sexton who was strangely a great friend of Stueys is absolutely sure he was the most talented ever.Thats good enough for me!

mike Sexton who strangely was a big pal of

Killme00 wrote: »
    I read this whole thread with a big grin on my face. Thanks for doing it P diddy.

Actaully i have one question: Whats the worst hand in Omaha and whats the biggest pot you ever won with it?

I had a laugh myself!
    Dunno and I probably cant remember to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

great read so far

1) if you could back any 5 players online/live who would they be ?
    2) what advice would you give to up and coming players ?
    3)who would win HU between you and the wife and would you go easy on her ??

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Conbro

1.Have you ever considered that your true calling in life may be as a writer rather than as a poker player? Im not sure how talented a poker player you are [relatively or absolutely] but I do know you have a flair for writing that can even engage people with little or no knowledge of the game.

2. With this in mind, when are you going to release your autobiography? With the appropriate backing behind you I fully believe that unlike other poker auto/biographies, this would be one that could truly reach out to the masses
    Anyone with a love of witty, irreverent humour would find your writing compelling reading

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

thanks for the great read padraig.

and for all the interviews and fun on the original Poker Show a couple of years ago.

i don't know what you win for being in the well but you've earned it.
    d.

chips1234 wrote: »
    great read so far

1) if you could back any 5 players online/live who would they be ?
    2) what advice would you give to up and coming players ?
    3)who would win HU between you and the wife and would you go easy on her ??

thanks

cheers
    1) Done that.Didnt like it.
    2)See 1)
    3)she would.I cant cook.

thanks for the great read padraig.

and for all the interviews and fun on the original Poker Show a couple of years ago.

i don't know what you win for being in the well but you've earned it.
    d.

Hows it going Doc.
    Win? Im still trying to work out how I got myself into this!

Conbro wrote: »
    1.Have you ever considered that your true calling in life may be as a writer rather than as a poker player? Im not sure how talented a poker player you are [relatively or absolutely] but I do know you have a flair for writing that can even engage people with little or no knowledge of the game.

2. With this in mind, when are you going to release your autobiography? With the appropriate backing behind you I fully believe that unlike other poker auto/biographies, this would be one that could truly reach out to the masses
    Anyone with a love of witty, irreverent humour would find your writing compelling reading

No but thanks for the compliment.Theres a school of thought that I have little or no knowledge of the game myself so connecting shouldnt be a problem!

The authorised unauthorised biography should be out for the Christmas market next year.michael Jackson kinda messed up the plans for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

One final question. (from me)

List these LOLs in order of your Preference.
    1 LoLdonkaments
    2.LoLLiverpool
    3.LOLYang
    4.LOLFrenchplayers
    5.LoLliverpool (so good I named it twice)

YULETIRED wrote: »
    One final question.

List these LOLs in order of your Preference.
    1 LoLdonkaments
    2.LoLLiverpool
    3.LOLYang
    4.LOLFrenchplayers
    5.LoLliverpool (so good I named it twice)

lol yourself

3) he has the money so we can laugh at him
    4) god bless them
    1)fair enough
    4)very poor form laughing at a team with such great fans
    5)and such pricks as owners

Only joking!
    5 of course
    2 by a short head
    who cares after that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

You said you enjoyed the Wpt structures, 8 hour days early finish ect. But generally would you rather less chips and longer clock.

I know the 6 handed one table games like the poker million serve a purpose but are total crapshoots after a few levels. Is it just the tv exposure that draws the big names or are they being paid in

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

hi pawrig
    just wondering who you think (a) the 3 best poker pros you have come across iyho, (b) the 3 worst .
    thanks this was an extremely entertaining read with some great wit :D

• Advertisement

Hi Padraig,

Great read and thanks for taking the time to do this. Always enjoy your commentating.

What bad beat hurt the most?

Were there times when you just felt like quitting in the early days, if so, what kept you going?

In a big event, who would be the 3 players you would rather not share a table with?

What was the worst time you remember a bluff not getting through?

Cheers

Advertisement