Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Well: Q&A with Padraig Parkinson

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭SpencerJames

Hey Padraig,

Rory Brown here. Just want to say thanks for doing this and always enjoyed playing with you.

1) how much tougher are the games now as opposed to the early 90's?

2) Is No Limit Holdem your best game?

3) What advice would you give to young players like myself?

4) Do you think poker has lost some of its magic with the online boom?

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

hotspur wrote: »
    Very enjoyable read. I think what Yuletired meant with the prop betting question was that if you watch, say, the recent Poker After Dark the Cash Game with Ivey, Antonius, Eli, and Ziigmund were playing props for so high that they dwarfed any of the pots rendering the poker hands almost an irrelevance.

They were playing 300/600 and props were running at mid 5 figures per hand, and they were limping or raising based on whether they had, say, 2 red cards and were on for red flops to manipulate whether a flop was seen or not. It pretty much ruined it as a TV poker spectacle for a lot of people.

Are these top guys so wealthy / degenerate that single tabling live 100k buy in cash games are too boring to them to get them interested?

I didn't mean to say all that I meant to imply it.;) I did like the answer he gave as I didn't even consider the point about it effecting the integrity of MTTs in themselves. Anyway you are correct Hotspur that is more what I was asking about.

Enjoying this well, passing a quiet day for me. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Hey Padraig.

If you could eradicate one phrase and one phrase only from the English language would it be 'Ace from Space' or 'world of pain'.??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Padraig06

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Hey Padraig.

If you could eradicate one phrase and one phrase only from the English language would it be 'Ace from Space' or 'world of pain'.??

Why not Emmett Kennedy?
    we could lose both!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭pgodkin

Hi great read,

Few questions for u!

The hand with furlong and the FT at the main event, i've never seen it or know the hands, would u still bluff the hand?? what i mean did u think he would fold or what u put him on?

If u folded do u think u could have won it?

If u won it, do u think youe life would have changed much?

If your life would have changed to an unknown path, would u rather walk down the path u have already walked down or a complete new one????

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭BHW

great read,

im headin to paris for the match, where do i go drinkin?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭OutOfPosition

When you hit that awesome approach on 17 at carnoustie did you know then you were gonna win.

Is Tiger intimidating to play with in the final group.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Irish Iron

When you hit that awesome approach on 17 at carnoustie did you know then you were gonna win.

Is Tiger intimidating to play with in the final group.

Id love if this was real

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭gorrrr72

Irish Iron wrote: »
    Id love if this was real

LOL:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭smurph

Hi Padraig
    Thanks a million for doing the well.....

Which is more annoying
    Americans shouting "in the hole" every time tiger hits a bleedin shot or
    Americans shouting "deuce" everytime there is a big pot and a bleedin camera around

Do you think slowrolling should be punished (time penalty, etc.,)

Have you enjoyed being a Boylesports sponsored player? any funny Paul Spillane stories.....

Do you suffer from tilt, if not how do you manage it.

Might see you in Galway (If I win a ticket,)

Note:
    Just watched the Professional Poker Tour from Bellagio Season 1 - your on the feature table
    Comes across bottom of screen "Padraigs name is pronounce PAW Rig" lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kebabfest

Great stuff Padraig. Back when I lived in Paris Flann O'Briens had the best pint of the black stuff. Where can you get the best pint these days ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

Hi Padraig,

can you (a) tell us an anectode about Terry Rodgers (my auld fella used to play poker with him, sounded like a madman), and (b) give us your No 1 restaurant recommendation in Paris so I can impress the Mrs?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 thebullets

Padraig,

Just curious are u both a boylepoker sponsored pro and a rep for parisian tourism or just a rep for parisian tourism?!!

Is it in my genes to be a debilitating drunk or a great poker player... or both??!!

Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Great read so far Padraig, thanks for doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Sioux99989

First off, great read.

Q. Aside from the big Irish tournaments (IO, IPC) what is your favourite Irish tournament?

Q. What is the single biggest attribute needed to be a great poker player?

Q. What would be your No. 1 up-coming ante-post bet?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ubs

Great Read

1) Is it possible to play online poker sober?
    2)If so, elaborate
    3)have u ever be so loaded u shoved k duece , thinking its Ak suited?

ubs wrote: »
    Great Read

1) Is it possible to play online poker sober?
    2)If so, elaborate
    3)have u ever be so loaded u shoved k duece , thinking its Ak suited?

1) course not
    2)see 1
    3)No.It has its own merits

Sioux99989 wrote: »
    First off, great read.

Q. Aside from the big Irish tournaments (IO, IPC) what is your favourite Irish tournament?

Q. What is the single biggest attribute needed to be a great poker player?

Q. What would be your No. 1 up-coming ante-post bet?

Cheers

IPO

Courage

Arsenal for the league next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

Cheers for the well, good read. Just a few Questions.

What course did you do in college? Did you finish it? Enjoy it or ever use it for anything again once you left?

Favourite pub in Dublin?

Cheers.

great read Padraig - thanks for taking the time to do this.

I took a trip to Paris last week after the IWF, I arrived and was walking around town when it dawned on me that I should have asked you for some pointers - anyway i live and learn.

who didnt make it but really should have?

the best 5 players which you played with outside of say the acknowledged greats i.e. ivey, stuey, hellmuth, flipper etc.

if you could do it all again, would you?

if you could do it all again, what would you do differently?

what annoys you most when you go to poker tournaments?

If you could pick 5 people alive or dead to share an evening of dinner, drinking and banter with - who would they be?

Cheers,
    Noel.

Good planning.Have you considered management as a career option?

Alan Betson Huge talent

Chris Bell
    Lalouche
    Betson
    Jason Mercier
    Ian Paisley jnr

For sure

Nothing really
    I made a lot of bad decisions knowing they were bad just for the craic(****ing sad isnt it?)

Bad manners

Leonard Cohen ...I can sing better than him

George Best..... might stop people thinking I was drinking toomuch

Bono.;;I want to make sure Im not the biggest asshole at the table

Stuey....he might piss Bono off

God....Id like to ask him wtf I did to him

• Advertisement

max_power wrote: »
    Cheers for the well, good read. Just a few Questions.

What course did you do in college? Did you finish it? Enjoy it or ever use it for anything again once you left?

Favourite pub in Dublin?

Cheers.

Economics officially but I spent all my time playing poker and bridge
    Yes I think they wanted to get rid of me
    Not at all

Mulligans

kebabfest wrote: »
    Great stuff Padraig. Back when I lived in Paris Flann O'Briens had the best pint of the black stuff. Where can you get the best pint these days ?

OSullivans in Bastille.They have a nice habit of locking me in rather than out

BHW wrote: »
    great read,

im headin to paris for the match, where do i go drinkin?

thanks

Bastille
    rue de lappe

thebullets wrote: »
    Padraig,

Just curious are u both a boylepoker sponsored pro and a rep for parisian tourism or just a rep for parisian tourism?!!

Is it in my genes to be a debilitating drunk or a great poker player... or both??!!

Conor

Hiya
    Hard to tell at times

Youre showing great promise at the drunk bit at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

Great read thanks for taking the time to do it.

Just one quick question
    During the first few levels of a major event will you take a known race for all your chips?

Flipper wrote: »
    hey Padriag,

first off, I just wanted to say thanks for doing this well. I know it's a pain in the arse but it's appreciated by both the people posting in the thread and also the 100's of lurkers just browsing. I don't really have much in the way of interesting poker questions but here's what I've got to offer.

(1) Do you agree/disagree with the decision to lower the buyin in the IO from €4500 to €3500 this year? What do you think it's ideal price-point is?

(2) I went to Paris on holidays for 5 days and stayed just off Rue de Rivoli but never really found any cool bars and nightclubs. Were we miles away from them? Where is the best area to stay in the next time I go? I did go to some big coffee/restaurant place on Rue de Rivoli called Angélinas. Is this actually the most expensive place on earth?

(3) Do you sports bet much? What is your particular area of expertise?

(3) If poker had never found you, what would you most likely be working at now? Could you see yourself being happier than you are right now?

(4) Outside of poker stuff, do you watch TV? What do you watch?

(5) If there was a film to be made about your life, who would you want to play yourself?

(6) Who would win an arm wrestle between me and Nicky? If you say him, can I get action on that?

(7) Bit of a vague question, have you any general advice you could give me? You may use both sarcasm and actual content...

Thanks for answering these. Hope to see you in Galway in December for pints.

hiya Flipper

1)For sure.I think 2000 is plenty.I dont want to see 4 nights a week players priced out of our major championship
    2) Its cheaper than Dublin if you avoid being taken for an American
    3) most days but usually Im just fiddling.You can waste a lot of time kidding yourself that youre working! not a great career move to tilt yourself before the first hand of the day but its certainly fun.None
    4)things you can bet on
    5)Kate Winslett
    6)deal me out
    7)dont change a thing.The game needs characters like you

Hey Padraig,

Rory Brown here. Just want to say thanks for doing this and always enjoyed playing with you.

1) how much tougher are the games now as opposed to the early 90's?

2) Is No Limit Holdem your best game?

3) What advice would you give to young players like myself?

4) Do you think poker has lost some of its magic with the online boom?

Thanks!!

Hi Rory
    How are the corona lattes going?

game in Dublin was way tougher back then .Too many pros....Scott,Alan;Tom Ryan;Tom Gibson(all guys who havent done a days work between them for years . not a lot of money around

I prefer omaha way more fun.I missed out on the easy nlh money in the boom which was kinda stupid

learn from the mistakes my generation made when we were trying to work it out.

For sure there are less characters around per square yard.Same goes for darts and snooker I suppose

cheers

YULETIRED wrote: »
    I didn't mean to say all that I meant to imply it.;) I did like the answer he gave as I didn't even consider the point about it effecting the integrity of MTTs in themselves. Anyway you are correct Hotspur that is more what I was asking about.

Enjoying this well, passing a quiet day for me. .

Its ridiculous in my opinion and doesnt do a lot for the image of the game

pgodkin wrote: »
    Hi great read,

Few questions for u!

The hand with furlong and the FT at the main event, i've never seen it or know the hands, would u still bluff the hand?? what i mean did u think he would fold or what u put him on?

If u folded do u think u could have won it?

If u won it, do u think youe life would have changed much?

If your life would have changed to an unknown path, would u rather walk down the path u have already walked down or a complete new one????

Thanks
    Every time! I rsed with QT Norl called Flop was 642 two diamods.I knew he didnt have a set or a pair or AK AQ AJ and prob AT of diamonds so I moved before he could gambling that he didnt have the flush draw.He did!

No

Most of my friends hoped Id finish second! i didnt realise at the time that not winning would cost me a few million commercially

the devil you know etc

• Advertisement

smurph wrote: »
    Hi Padraig
    Thanks a million for doing the well.....

Which is more annoying
    Americans shouting "in the hole" every time tiger hits a bleedin shot or
    Americans shouting "deuce" everytime there is a big pot and a bleedin camera around

Do you think slowrolling should be punished (time penalty, etc.,)

Have you enjoyed being a Boylesports sponsored player? any funny Paul Spillane stories.....

Do you suffer from tilt, if not how do you manage it.

Might see you in Galway (If I win a ticket,)

Note:
    Just watched the Professional Poker Tour from Bellagio Season 1 - your on the feature table
    Comes across bottom of screen "Padraigs name is pronounce PAW Rig" lol

hiya Smurph

LOL
    I love when the golfers shout BE THE RIGHT CLUB.How dumb is that?

Straight to bed No supper

Its been a lot of fun but way more timeconsuming than I thought itd be
    Spillanr stories are for the bar only!

I like tilting. Great buzz

PAW Rig Not bad for Americans.The PPT was great fun.I was at a table once with 5 ME winners Doyle,Dan ,Huck;McEvoy and some other geezer.I decided to try to run all over them which was fun while it lasted!

hope to see you in Galway

Advertisement