Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

top gear live - any good??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

eamon234 wrote: »
    My brother and I went last night we really enjoyed it - VIP tickets were a bit of a con though seemed like half the place was backstage afterwards and even though we were only 8 rows from the front we couldn't see that well the tiered seating could have been higher.
    We had a nightmare getting there too - just before we left Limerick the brake lights went on my car. We decided to take my mother's car instead just outside Naas the engine blew! Luckily a very kind relative in Dublin drove out and picked us up - on the way on of his lights blew and he had to go and get it fixed because he was a taxi driver just about to go on duty.
    Then at the show - guess what - they blew the engine on the chavvy Suzuki!
    On the way home the train was delayed. Engine trouble.
    I don't think I'm ever going to fly with him again.:D

That happened on thursdays show as well.

I was in section J, 8 rows from front gold tickets and had great view. It seemed though that the corporate crowd where only there for the freebies or so as they arrived late full of drink and a whole row near me was empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

eamon234 wrote: »
    My brother and I went last night we really enjoyed it - VIP tickets were a bit of a con though seemed like half the place was backstage afterwards and even though we were only 8 rows from the front we couldn't see that well the tiered seating could have been higher.
    We had a nightmare getting there too - just before we left Limerick the brake lights went on my car. We decided to take my mother's car instead just outside Naas the engine blew! Luckily a very kind relative in Dublin drove out and picked us up - on the way on of his lights blew and he had to go and get it fixed because he was a taxi driver just about to go on duty.
    On the way home the train was delayed. Engine trouble.
    I don't think I'm ever going to fly with him again.:D

Um do you think someone might be out to get you !?!?!?
    Ruby-J wrote: »
    was really impressed with the show. the subaru opening was excellent and i loved the tokyo drift driving. most hilarious part was the 3 wheel cars!!

motoring display was great, bit disappointed there was no bugati and no R8, loved the 2006 Mk5 golf that was for sale. Anyone enquire about it and find out the price???

There was an R8. No Bugati thou.
    Hmm I did enjoy the show but I think it was a bit overpriced allright. I'm a bit miffed that the ticketmaster site would only sell me gold or diamond tickets when the were selling silver and bronze at the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

There was only a TT RS in the arena on display, thats what i meant. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Was at the Saturday evening show, Really enjoyed the show.. Car display outside was a bit boring.. The M3 g-power was the only interest..

The little Suzuki doing the donuts on the podium was amazing.. Didnt look much wider than the car!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

The little Suzuki doing the donuts on the podium was amazing.. Didnt look much wider than the car!!!
    It was attached to the platform, couldn't fall off or mess up in any way, lame imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 crazylady2009

Car wasnt attached to platform!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RingersGloves

magnumlady wrote: »
    Wasn't that impressed with the Paddock tour.
    What would you have done differently? What would you have liked to have seen?

This year there was over an hour allocated for the paddock tour after complaints last year that people were pushed through. Also there was a commentator telling people about what was happening, interviewing drivers, mechanics, and talking to the public. Backstage I can think of only 1 "bit" of the show that wasn't on view. (The Tokyo Skyscrapers from the drifting sequence).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

What would you have done differently? What would you have liked to have seen?

This year there was over an hour allocated for the paddock tour after complaints last year that people were pushed through. Also there was a commentator telling people about what was happening, interviewing drivers, mechanics, and talking to the public. Backstage I can think of only 1 "bit" of the show that wasn't on view. (The Tokyo Skyscrapers from the drifting sequence).

I think the problems most people had were:

Ticket Price - I didn't go this year. I'm sorry but they were outrageous
    Top Gear Scripting - Speaks for itself and the current show
    Variety - Pretty much the same as last year.

Thats from who I've talked to anyway...

ironclaw wrote: »
    I think the problems most people had were:

Ticket Price - I didn't go this year. I'm sorry but they were outrageous
    Top Gear Scripting - Speaks for itself and the current show
    Variety - Pretty much the same as last year.

Thats from who I've talked to anyway...
    I was more interested in comments on the paddock part of the tour as a lot of effort went in to that compared to last year.

However, as for ticket price, it does cost more to do a show in Ireland unfortunately. Just as a for example, I heard that the cost of the seating hire/construction on a per-seat basis is around double what it costs in the UK, and that's just one element of the pricing.

As for the script, I know a lot of people think that TG has lost a lot of the spontaneity it had in the past, I thought the script this year was better than last year where it was pretty much exactly the same as the Sunday show which had been recorded on the Wednesday.

Variety: It's the old adage that you can't please everyone all the time, the only two elements that were repeated were "Cool Wall" and "Car Football", everything else was different, including the "Interactive Lap" which had two cars racing instead of just one against the clock.

I was more interested in comments on the paddock part of the tour as a lot of effort went in to that compared to last year.

However, as for ticket price, it does cost more to do a show in Ireland unfortunately. Just as a for example, I heard that the cost of the seating hire/construction on a per-seat basis is around double what it costs in the UK, and that's just one element of the pricing.

As for the script, I know a lot of people think that TG has lost a lot of the spontaneity it had in the past, I thought the script this year was better than last year where it was pretty much exactly the same as the Sunday show which had been recorded on the Wednesday.

Variety: It's the old adage that you can't please everyone all the time, the only two elements that were repeated were "Cool Wall" and "Car Football", everything else was different, including the "Interactive Lap" which had two cars racing instead of just one against the clock.

They are fair points except the ticket price. I don't accept the base price of €100. (Am I right on that one? Apologies if I amn't) Regardless, that's ludicrous and greedy.I've been to music and trade shows that were better than Top Gear Live, and they were free in. I don't accept it costs €100+ per head to have that show. Look at the production value of U2, some of the O2 gigs and even Toys 4 Big Boys (Ughhh! :rolleyes: ) where the ticket price is in some cases a third of the Top Gear show.

Sorry, but I don't buy the Ireland is more expensive line.

• Advertisement

They are fair points except the ticket price. I don't accept the base price of €100. (Am I right on that one? Apologies if I amn't)
    From what I remember, cheapest ticket was €65, same price a Miley Cyrus ticket. Top ticket was €140 with a whole load of hospitality etc. Similar price to the top Paul McCartney ticket. Audience numbers were (I think) a minimum of 4,700 and more like 4,900 per show, so that shows that a lot of people think the price was fair.

From what I remember, cheapest ticket was €65, same price a Miley Cyrus ticket. Top ticket was €140 with a whole load of hospitality etc. Similar price to the top Paul McCartney ticket. Audience numbers were (I think) a minimum of 4,700 and more like 4,900 per show, so that shows that a lot of people think the price was fair.

So if we put €65 Vs €140, what differences are there?

I was at a concert in Spain last year and for €80 I got a 24 hour concert, VIP section (With actual celebrities) , a pretty decent goodie bag (T-Shirt, Lanyard etc) and a completely free bar / finger food. Not really comparable but much more bang for buck. And this was an outdoor event so there were huge production and logistical costs.

I wasn't there so I don't know but alot of people were saying it was over-priced. Plus if I remember correctly the lower price tickets were mysteriously unavailable on TicketMaster (who charge about €6.50 per ticket) but available on the door ;)

So if we put €65 Vs €140, what differences are there?
    I believe it was in the level of hospitality before/after the show and also the inclusion of the paddock tour.
    I was at a concert in Spain last year and for €80 I got a 24 hour concert, VIP section (With actual celebrities) , a pretty decent goodie bag (T-Shirt, Lanyard etc) and a completely free bar / finger food. Not really comparable but much more bang for buck. And this was an outdoor event so there were huge production and logistical costs.
    As you say, not really comparable. Even within music it's not even possible to compare as many acts will charge based on their name / fame, which is why Paul McCartney is between twice and three times the cost of Simple Minds at the same venue.

I believe it was in the level of hospitality before/after the show and also the inclusion of the paddock tour.

As you say, not really comparable. Even within music it's not even possible to compare as many acts will charge based on their name / fame, which is why Paul McCartney is between twice and three times the cost of Simple Minds at the same venue.

I still don't see the €75 difference between the tickets to be honest. Or the base price of €65 when the TV Show (if your lucky) is free to attend. I'd rather spend the €65 on flights to the show.

As regards the music, not comparable but that was with some of the biggest names in the dance / trance genre, one act usually costs about €80-100 alone to see on his own. And in production value, your looking at the worlds biggest HD Screen, laser show, audio set up, water cannons etc. So it actually costs more than a car show I would say. And with similar numbers (About 5000 tickets sold) Just goes to show how we Irish people get ripped off in every aspect of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Car wasnt attached to platform!!!!
    It was attached via a mechanical arm attached behind the sill of the car on the drivers side. The arm went round in circles and prevented it from falling of.

Advertisement