Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

top gear live - any good??

Options
  • 30-10-2009 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭

anyone here at top gear live last year in the rds. was it any good and is it worth going to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Moved to top gear forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

culabula88 wrote: »
    anyone here at top gear live last year in the rds. was it any good and is it worth going to?

Sorry about this, but ............ here we go again!

You will get mixed reactions here about last years Top gear Live.
    I thought it was brilliant, but alot of people will say that it was too over priced and I agree with them to a degree.
    For me the whole thing would have been near perfect if the tickets were 25-30% cheaper.
    If you take ticket price out then yes it is well worth going too, cause I'm going again this year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

cool glad to hear its good. just got tickets myself, am really looking forward to it!

Are there many car displays aswell as the actual show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

Ruby-J wrote: »
    cool glad to hear its good. just got tickets myself, am really looking forward to it!

Are there many car displays aswell as the actual show?

heyhey i went to see it in dublin last year!! it was savage! best 100 euro i spent that yr ha. but its quite expensive for only 70 mins of a show.. last yr there was 31 million pounds worth of cars there.. or so i hear!! but i would well believe it.. nearly every car from the show was there and i cant see why it would be different this yr!!!
    your in for a big big surprise:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

heyhey i went to see it in dublin last year!! it was savage! best 100 euro i spent that yr ha. but its quite expensive for only 70 mins of a show.. last yr there was 31 million pounds worth of cars there.. or so i hear!! but i would well believe it.. nearly every car from the show was there and i cant see why it would be different this yr!!!
    your in for a big big surprise:D:D:D:D:D

€100! For 70 mins of a show? Its free every Sunday night on BBC. I thought Toys 4 Big Boys was a rip off!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Just a reminder that ticket sales are not allowed.

Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Are you allowed look around the Motor arena/stalls before you go into the live show.
    I arrived a bit late last year (stupid train) and had to go straight in and get my seat because there was only 10 minutes left before it started when I got there.

Was talking to a guy who was at the NEC show last week and he said that yes they could go all around the place before the show started. Will it be the same for the RDS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

I was at tonight's show and i thought it was brilliant. The car expo wasnt as big as last year but any car you could hope to see was there including the worlds fastest production car.
    If anyone had trouble getting tickets then a small tip for next year if its on again, register with the top gear live web site and you will get an e-mail telling you in advance when the tickets are going on pre sale. I booked mine well in advance before they went on general sale and got some good seats near the front in with the corporate crowd were. I booked them around July or so.
    There was a guy selling t-shirts outside the gates after the show and sold what looked like the genuine tour t-shirts but after lookin at them and the one i bought at the show they are obvious fake. Before anyone says anything, i know that its highley likely that the hawkers sell fake gear but there was still people buying them thinking they were the real deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

I've just come back from it too - really enjoyed it - didn't see the Bugatti - don't think it was there, saw the enzo alright.............was at the Q&A with Clarkson in the Burlo and one woman asked the most stupid question of the night - 'eh, I can't seem to find your DVD, 'The Beast' anywhere, where can I get it'................man, I cringed (spelling??) for her - if she or her husband come on this thread at any point.......shame on ye for sucking up for a hug............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

girlfriend was at it tonight. She loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

What about that drunk bloke with clarkson? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

cymro wrote: »
    What about that drunk bloke with clarkson? :D

That was funny

Also I have posted 56 photos of Thursday nights show including 3 pic of the stig doing a 360 loop the loop

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055760646

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Are you allowed look around the Motor arena/stalls before you go into the live show.

Anyone know? I'm going tomorrow, I cant ****ing wait!! Not sure weather to go early or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

For the money, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Anyone know? I'm going tomorrow, I cant ****ing wait!! Not sure weather to go early or not.

Yes, it's open two hours before show time, and again after the show.

http://topgearlive.ie/dublin2009/performance-times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Bitsie

I went last night and thought it was really good, went 2 hrs before so i could have a good look at the cars displayed. The stunt drivers in the show were bloody impressive!! Although, the 3 lads were slightly over rehearsed, not the best actors in the world.....but still great fun!
    Oh and Im a chick by the way! So not just for boys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Driving up tomorrow, anyone know where would be the closest place to park as this event is a no parking event?? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Serpentine avenue should be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Yes, it's open two hours before show time, and again after the show.

http://topgearlive.ie/dublin2009/performance-times

Can you actually walk around and have a look at the cars first???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Can you actually walk around and have a look at the cars first???

yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

We went today and enjoyed it.
    Spent almost two hours going around the cars etc first.
    Wasn't that impressed with the Paddock tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Was there today also and It was a good show ,

GF came with me ,she hates JC and still taught it was very good .

Car expo wasnt bad,.......good show all round

mmmmmm Black Skyline stunning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

My brother and I went last night we really enjoyed it - VIP tickets were a bit of a con though seemed like half the place was backstage afterwards and even though we were only 8 rows from the front we couldn't see that well the tiered seating could have been higher.
    We had a nightmare getting there too - just before we left Limerick the brake lights went on my car. We decided to take my mother's car instead just outside Naas the engine blew! Luckily a very kind relative in Dublin drove out and picked us up - on the way on of his lights blew and he had to go and get it fixed because he was a taxi driver just about to go on duty.
    Then at the show - guess what - they blew the engine on the chavvy Suzuki!
    On the way home the train was delayed. Engine trouble.
    I don't think I'm ever going to fly with him again.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Way too much like last year's show, not worth the money imo. Really liked the 3-wheel race, best part of the show for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

was really impressed with the show. the subaru opening was excellent and i loved the tokyo drift driving. most hilarious part was the 3 wheel cars!!

motoring display was great, bit disappointed there was no bugati and no R8, loved the 2006 Mk5 golf that was for sale. Anyone enquire about it and find out the price???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

VIP tickets were a con, wouldn't book that again if we went again, every man and his dog seemed to have VIP tickets.
    Couldn't believe that people bring really small children there (that just talked all the way through the show).
    I really like all the pyrotechnics and the three wheel race.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭lostdesign

Crazy money for the tickets, however would have went if i had the money to see what all the fuss is about!!

Top Gear is losing its edge lately, they need to revamp the tv show and do something new...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Just figured out how to upload these from my phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Went last night. Good but not great. The seats were terrible though...sardine central. The stunt drivers were awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

I went this evening and really enjoyed it! I was hoping to find some cheap tickets outside but there was no one selling any so we were buying tickets at the gate and the nice lady at the ticket booth gave me and my GF a very substantial discount :p I won't say any more though as I don't want to get anyone into trouble, but she and the very helpful steward made our day.

The marquee had some great cars and the cars that were included in the performance were unreal - Enzo, CCR, R8 V10, Countach, etc. The Enzo was my favorite, first one I've seen in person and I'm in love. I liked the stunt drivers and the three wheeled cars. The loop was great too. TBH, the only thing I didn't like about the show was when Jimmy Carr appeared on the screen (he does my head in :pac: )

We didn't have passes for the paddock tour but we just walked in any way, no one said a word to us :p

All in all, a great way to spend a Sunday. I would never have paid €115 for diamond tickets though. Considering the little discount we got it was money well spent, great value.

Looking forward to next year!

Advertisement