Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade and Retro forum beers! (AKA the night of the scandalously drunk retro geeks)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Hai! - Yes!
    iie! - No!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

rhythm paradise is ****ing huge! :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You know, if someone wanted to "obtain" a bunch of DS consoles without paying for them, ie steal them, he/she could do worse than wait outside the pub til you lot come out, stick a knife to a copy of SuperMetroid and say, "gimme the DS's or the bitch in the spacesuit gets it", your natural reaction, aside from slight bladder sphinter weakness, will be to hand them over, aside from Retro, who would selflessly throw himself upon the hapless Samus and save the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you swing a Megadrive arcade stick around your head by the cable it doubles up as a pretty good makeshift mace.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I carry a Gameboy or Gamegear in my bag for such instances. Excellent for bludgeoning people :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've learnt all I need to taking on bullys from street fighter.

Anyone heading in for earlier than 7?

Master of the Universe

Well I'm only a 20 min walk or so away so if people are up for going before seven I can leave earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

I'll probably be finishing up in work a little after 6... could take me around 40 minutes or more to get in though. So 7 is probably about doable for me.

I'll have my brown fedora with me anyway... so I'll be spotable easily enough.

Right I'm heading in now. Shouldn't take me more than 40 mins. Look out for the street fighter t-shirt and copy of retrogamer :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Seeya in a bit!

My head hurts :o

I sincerely apologize if I insulted/offended/inappropriately touched anyone last night.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

ouch! same here , was good craic though meeting you all , and the lurker! (hey man you should post sometime!) and the 2 mad random people that ended up coming over (jonathan , not john and ashley, who liked my glasses waaay too much ;)).Also I didnt really mean what I said about pokemon players , honest.

Lot of drunk talk but I'll see if I can borrow the inlaws building for that gaming/trading night later in the year.Have to organize those podcasts as well!

Good night, great finally meeting people. I need to get myself a Nomad, seems to attract an awful lot of attention on nights out. Also atavan-halen I promies by the next meet up I'll have some decent pokemon in the new gold and silver remakes :)

o1s1n: the panzer dragoon saga offer still stands if you want to avail.

By the way, did I mention Demon's Souls was good?

ouch! same here , was good craic though meeting you all , and the lurker! (hey man you should post sometime!) and the 2 mad random people that ended up coming over (jonathan , not john and ashley, who liked my glasses waaay too much ;)).Also I didnt really mean what I said about pokemon players , honest.

Lot of drunk talk but I'll see if I can borrow the inlaws building for that gaming/trading night later in the year.Have to organize those podcasts as well!

Yeah I have a vague recollection of them. From what I can remember the girl seemed very interested in the Nomad. Perhaps it was Ciderman in disguise, trying to steal it!
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Also atavan-halen I promies by the next meet up I'll have some decent pokemon in the new gold and silver remakes :)

By the way, did I mention Demon's Souls was good?

Hurrah! And yes you did happen to mention it was good :P

Master of the Universe

My head hurts :o

My head hurts and I only had two small bottles of beer and a small bit of wine. I really don't know how that works :confused:
    ouch! same here , was good craic though meeting you all , and the lurker! (hey man you should post sometime!)

Yeah man, you can't like games that much and not post. It's criminal! If you need a good starting point, making fun of Halo games usually goes down a treat... :pac:

If you can make that happen and I get to play Radiant Silvergun for the first time on a projector screen you shall be a king amongst men :D

Seriously though, sounds like a fantastic idea.
    o1s1n: the panzer dragoon saga offer still stands if you want to avail.

Most definitely! If you can think of something you'd like as a lend in return let me know. Even if it's just to ease your worries that you'll never seeen me again ;)

From what I can remember the girl seemed very interested in the Nomad. Perhaps it was Ciderman in disguise, trying to steal it!

She was way too interested in Retr0 to be Ciderman. Unless of course he was trying to lure him back to his attic to strap him to a chair and force him to watch all Halo games being played from start to finish.

A fate worse than death!

Anyway, great meeting you all. :)

Was a good night.

Even the Rub Rabbits showed up at the bar...

the_rub_rabbits_profilelarge.jpg

Why, oh why didn't we get a photo?

I think Ashley gave me the the best compliment I ever received. She said I was the most normal out of the lot of us. All my girlfriend managed today was to call me a 'game nerd' :D

Took me a while to get that rub rabbits thing but yeah, that was a bit surreal.

I don't need anything in return o1s1n, having more people getting to play the game is enough for me. Maybe if I get dumped I can take a lend of the Nomad to help me pick up girls.

I think Ashley gave me the the best compliment I ever received. She said I was the most normal out of the lot of us. All my girlfriend managed today was to call me a 'game nerd' :D

Fecks sake! I was the only one not wearing a video game t-shirt... I was wearing corduroy for Christ's sake.. .can't get more normal that that.

Although she did seem pretty freaked out by how blind I am when she tried on my glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Sounds like a good night was had anyway! I'm not exactly a prolific poster here but would definitely have come along if I wasn't in Boston at the moment! Would be good to chat about this stuff in person, any time I bring retro-gaming up in social situations (i.e. all the time) I'm met with facepalms all round.

Anyway if there's another meet-up in the summer consider me there!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Was a good night.

Even the Rub Rabbits showed up at the bar...

the_rub_rabbits_profilelarge.jpg

Why, oh why didn't we get a photo?
    holy crap! I'd forgotten about that
    Also that 3 screen game :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ninja_Warriors

Master of the Universe

ghostchant wrote: »
    any time I bring retro-gaming up in social situations (i.e. all the time) I'm met with facepalms all round.

Yep, I know exactly what you mean. It was nice not to see people yawning and looking at their watch at the mention of old consoles :D

Even better was seeing four people huddled around a Nomad with a controller each in a packed pub in the middle of town. Oul Lizzardfudge even had a big arcade stick. Feckin' hilarious.

! Just checked out some pictures of the cabinet. That's really cool. Although, keeping a single arcade monitor functioning well is a pain on it's own. Three must be a massive headache!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Even better was seeing four people huddled around a Nomad with a controller each in a packed pub in the middle of town. Oul Lizzardfudge even had a big arcade stick. Feckin' hilarious.

I hope there's some pictures! :)

Here's a cool video showing that cabinet...

Haha the rub rabbits!

I'd like to see some pics too :)

I had a good night and it was nice to put faces to names.

Master of the Universe

Hey Fudge, what was that black and white free running game thing I was playing on your iphone?

I've been trying to find the flash version online but can't remember what the damn thing was called!

Master of the Universe

Funnily enough I'd only discovered Robot Unicorn Attack the night before.

I think it's possibly the gayest game ever made. And I mean that as a compliment. It actually resulted in me liking an Erasure song. Something I didn't think possible.

Gayest game ever? I think not. I think you just want me to post Cho Aniki pictures:

cho-aniki-3.jpg

cho-ps4.jpg

cho-ps22.jpg

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Cho Aniki is just pure manliness. I see nothing gay about those screenshots whatsoever.

:pac:

It really does look absolutely hilarious. Gonna give the Snes version a go now. Might splash out and pick up the Saturn one too.

/Edit - awh the Super Famicom version is a fighter. I want the shooters! Looks like I'll have to check out a TG-16 emulator.

Advertisement