Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Bicycle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

The should have called it, "Operation night-rider".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Jip wrote: »
    My main commuting jacket is not high-vis, it's blue but has flashings on it (so too does my rucksack) and I have two lights front and back, would I be one of those to get a verbal warning ?
    No, as a practical matter the gardaí are generally happy with anyone who is sufficiently well lit, which generally means one working light of the right colour front and back, flashing or otherwise. The working bit is pretty key, I often see cyclists with "lights" but where the battery has run down to the point that they are practically invisible (I saw one last night, saw the cyclist before I saw his light.)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

TimAllen wrote: »
    umm, yea Seattle ..... so that rules out anal reference - glad we sorted that. I am disturbed that you are getting excited at the erroneous expectation that you were going to get probed - its not going to happen, the smiley would have indicated to most people that I was not being serious - sorry to disappoint you!!! Anyways, I might get done for cruelty to your gerbils!!!

jaysus, Tim's in an awfully good mood today......... petrol prices must have come down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭TimAllen

stevie_b wrote: »
    jaysus, Tim's in an awfully good mood today......... petrol prices must have come down.
    nay, just getting jolly in anticipation of my duties under the Santa Clause!!! Its getting close you know, I'm putting on a few pounds and growing a big beard at the moment- oh and getting back after being hit with the ban stick. Eeven blorgs provocations dont work! Ho Ho Ho

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

nay, just getting jolly in anticipation of my duties under the Santa Clause!!! Its getting close you know, I'm putting on a few pounds and growing a big beard at the moment- oh and getting back after being hit with the ban stick. Eeven blorgs provocations dont work! Ho Ho Ho

leave them kids alone tim. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭TimAllen

stevie_b wrote: »
    leave them kids alone tim. :)
    careful now, I'm told that smileys dont work - I might have to complain to the mods on what is, an innocent joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Can someone linky me to those seat stay lights please. Oh and where I can buy shares in Duracell.
    Raam wrote: »
    This reminds me, I must slap a few of those reflective strips on to the turbo trainer bike for the winter.
    How funny's that! (see what I did there?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Has the law on bike lights been updated? I seem to recall that it was quite out of date and referred only to incandescent bulbs, giving a minimum size for surface area of the lens on that basis. I think it also specified a height from the ground at which the light had to be mounted.

If they're going to start enforcing the detail of the law then they really should update the legislation to reflect current realities (LED lamps etc.). I hope the Gardaí are reasonable in practice. I'd hate to see someone with a clatter of lights and a hi-viz jacket on getting told off for not having pedal reflectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I think I preferred the old angry-Tim. That was only annoying.

New affable-Tim is creeping me out slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Can someone linky me to those seat stay lights please.

I think it's these ones:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Smart_1~2_Watt_3_LED_Rear_Light/5360026001/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I have one of these lights, they are fantastic

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

niceonetom wrote: »
    I think I preferred the old angry-Tim. That was only annoying.

New affable-Tim is creeping me out slightly.

Calm before the storm? ... Halloween Tim Allen explosions, Throwing Hi Viz at cyclists?

I still suspect Tim is one of us and fancies talking to himself as his alter ego ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

See? Creepy.

94853.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I was almost knocked off my bike last winter by two busybodies handing out high viz as part of some scheme.

Cycling up toward the Cabra Road from the bus station close to Kings Inns, when this daft bint shoved a high viz into my face as I was cycling past.
    I was wearing a reflective jacket at the time and had a working front light and two rear lights in the bike.

Down with this sort of thing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Ah, this reminds me, my light fell off the bike and broke this morning!

There was a bit of paper in the fitting making it not fit right.... Grrrr...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I think they should maybe just remove VAT from lighting equipment. The hiviz jacket is effective if cars are shining their lights directly at you, but that isn't always the case. For example, a car waiting to enter a roundabout in poor lighting will not see a cyclist who is already on the roundabout and who has only a hiviz jacket, since the car's lights will be pointing away from the cylist.

Hiviz jackets also don't help you to see the road on unlit streets (which is increasingly less of a problem nowadays, to the detriment of people who like seeing the night sky now and then).

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

monument wrote: »
    Ah, this reminds me, my light fell off the bike and broke this morning!

My back light fell off the other day and as I was turning my head around to see where it fell, a bus most inconsiderately ran over it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

french_tart.jpg

I really want to be that saddle. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Hilarious...."I felt a bump under my wheels but saw nothing m'lord" "think he moaned 'bloody paradox' as he inspected the undercarriage of my vehicle":rolleyes:

Actually, unless you find yourself in a Crown Court with a Recorder sitting, the correct form of address would be "judge" or "sir / madam" - if you're in the district court or mags court you don't use m'lord....

Higher courts in the UK use "M'lord" but in jolly ol' Ireland we don't

.....in the Mags Court you can get away with "your worship"

.....just so you know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

french_tart.jpg
    Just saw the properties on this: http://www.stratobiker.com/wp-content/uploadsfrench_tart[/B].jpg

Made me laugh :D

(Offense not meant to the French)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

jerseyeire wrote: »
    Just saw the properties on this: http://www.stratobiker.com/wp-content/uploadsfrench_tart[/b].jpg

Made me laugh :D

(Offense not meant to the French)

here are a few more
    Tarte Tatin
    appletatinrecipe1.jpg
    Tarte au Chocolat
    choctartrecipe.jpg
    Tarte aux fruits rouges
    real_french_tart.jpg

I bet you all think you'd love to be the plate under that tart ...

here are a few more
    Tarte Tatin
    appletatinrecipe1.jpg

I bet you all think you'd love to be the plate under that tart ...

If you don't mind me saying that Tarte Tati looks a bit under-cooked - doesn't look like the apples have carmelised - hungry now for warm apple tart and cream.........

1428991_w_co_t_tatin.jpg
    Better?

1428991_w_co_t_tatin.jpg
    Better?

much......

......I'm even hungrier now!!

whipped-cream.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marvinthefish

I think this has been said before, but the Cake and Pie forum is thatta way.:D

2623883472_c17fe7f797.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

not going off topic (much) but can these go on the rear seat stays. do you get a selection of brackets. I dont want to put one on the seat post as anything on the carrier then obscures it..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

http://www.hgvireland.com/10/30/operation-bicycle/
    An innovative road safety campaign is taking place in Co. Mayo today in a bid to reduce the alarming number of collisions involving cyclists and pedestrians with motor vehicles.

Gardai will be out in force along with Road Safety officers from Mayo Co. Council stopping cyclists who are not wearing reflective clothing. The cyclists will be given Hi Vis jackets to make them more visible to other road users.

“Cyclists should make themselves visible to other vehicles on the road by wearing fluorescent and reflective clothing. Ensure the lights are working before every journey. It is an offence to cycle at night without a white front light, a red back light and red reflector at the back,” Mayo Co. Co road safety officer Noel Gibbons said.

He added: “ Pedestrians and cyclists are particularly vulnerable road users. They need to make sure they can be seen clearly in dark conditions and bad weather.”

Operation bicycle will demonstrate the importance of integrating multi-amenities, advertising and the media to deliver a strong road safety message to save lives.

“This operation has been designed to target our most vulnerable road users,” Gibbons added.

“Too many people think ‘It won’t happen to me’ when they run across the road or ride their bike with no lights.”

“The reality is, however, that it does happen every day and unfortunately a car is going to come off much better than the pedestrian or cyclist it hits.”

do guarda bikes have front lights?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

daymobrew wrote: »
    I was speaking with a Superintendent in Store Street Garda Station a few years ago. I was complaining about their lack of action against law breakers (motorists and cyclists). He said that, instead of fining cyclists without lights, he and his Gardai force them to come into the station with working lights.
    I don't know how it all works but it sounded like a good idea.

The police in Cambridge did a big crack-down on cyclists without lights just after the clocks went back, but when people came in to pay their fine the police gave them a free set of lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,042 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Guard: here, have a hi-vis vest
    Me: no thanks, it clashes with my quick releases and it's against the rules
    Guard: which rules?
    Me: The Official Rules of The Euro Cyclist
    Guard: what?
    Me: LOL, like, OMG it's on Facebook and everything
    Guard: where's your red reflector?
    Me: I refer you to my previous answer
    Guard: that's in, get in the van

Advertisement