Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legality on usage of the word "Doctor"?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

As a matter of interest, all Nursing titles are protected by law.
    They include - Registered General Nurse, Registered Psychiatric Nurse, Registered Childrens Nurse, Registered Nurse Intellectual Disability, Registered Midwife, Registered Public Health Nurse, Registered Nurse Tutor, Registered Nurse Prescriber.
    To my knowledge it is an Offence under law to claim to be, or to take or use the above titles if one is not a nurse registered with ABA. And thus, i can with confidence affirm, without fear of prosecution, that I am an RGN.
    Emergency Medical Technician and Paramedic are also terms protected by law for the exclusive use of those registered with the Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council.
    Doctors definitely need to reclaim their title and have it protected by law, for public safety if for no other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Doctors definitely need to reclaim their title and have it protected by law, for public safety if for no other reason.

Eh, reclaim? No, historically as Dr. Indy mentions it was an "academic" title not a medical one strictly speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

well then steal it from its rightful owners then. either way, the word Doctor is now by common usage more associated with the medical profession. Just take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

well then steal it from its rightful owners then. either way, the word Doctor is now by common usage more associated with the medical profession. Just take it.

Well, I suppose we could adopt something silly like the American system and call all academics different variations of Professor... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    what about a Psy.D

A psychologist is not a doctor and never will be.If u want to be a doctor then do medicine.Seems like u only want to be a doctor for the prestige anyway.Leave it to the proffesionals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

briankirby wrote: »
    A psychologist is not a doctor and never will be.If u want to be a doctor then do medicine.Seems like u only want to be a doctor for the prestige anyway.Leave it to the proffesionals

They still can use the title Dr Whatever. When I get around to doing my PhD I can use that title, but that does not mean I'm a medical doctor. If you do a PhD or whatever like a D.Psy why would you not use that title in an offical capacity of course. I'm a therapeutic professional as it is with my PhD. Medical doctors are not the only professionals you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Anthony16 wrote: »
    i know they can call themselves doctors but they are not medical doctors,as u have stated.Im saying that if u ask an average joe on the street they will say that a doctor is someone who treats illnesses and injuries.Anyway,i wasnt dissing phds i was just having a go at your man for his condescending attitudes on other threads so i probably shouldnt have commented.Sorry if u took offence,none intended

Ok fair enough, none taken. I not sure about the point your making about the other poster. I have been keeping an eye on this thread, but it has been going for a while, so maybe I missed some.

Advertisement