Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are the garda implementing the points for driving with no NCT?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

jackncoke wrote: »
    Theres a car parked in my apartment block (being used by a tenant I assume) which has insurance going until june 2010 however,it has no tax since march 2009 or nct since 2007!

How can people get away with driving these cars?

First of all - it does not have to be taxed to be parked, unless on a public road. Insurance and tax are not related. My Mazda is NCT'd, insured, but not taxed. There again, I'm not using it, so I don't have to. It is a good idea to keep your car insured, even in non-use, in the event of a claim - it can still get stolen and can still burn.

Even car parks like shopping centres do not require tax, but they do require insurance. It has been deemed by the courts that where such areas have common access to the public, insurance is still required for liability reasons. Fair enough. But, being private property, road tax is not required.
    antodeco wrote: »
    Whilst you are entitled to your opinion, that doesnt mean you should refute someone elses desire to report possible illegal activities (or at least understanding of what could be entailed to be illegal activites)
    Yes, you're right, but where did (Jack) state he 'desired' to report ? What he actually asked, was, 'How can people get away with driving these cars? '

Finally, jack, on your post: it is entirely possible that the owner insured the car in 09 (more then likely, June 09, for 12 months....), and taxed it up to March 09). March duly came and went, tax expired. What has that go to do with the expiry date of the insurance ? Nothing, becuase it's irrelevant to tax - they do not coincide, nor is there a need to.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I do not hold the Gardai in very high regard RoverJames for reasons which are irrelevant to and which I will not go into in this thread.

And if you would like to keep posting here you better reign in your attitude. Nice Guy Always has made no secret of the fact that he is a member of the Traffic Corps so it actually is his job to chase up traffic offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Do ye guys have anything better to do such as catching proper criminals perhaps or would that be too much like real work and put ye out? Note also that jackncoke never mentioned that the car was on the road for definate. If the car is parked up in private property (which neither of us know) why should the owner be reported could you answer me?

Hold on......how can you say I dont?? Do major ciminals not use the roads??

So in short no I dont have anything "better" to do. Im employed by the Dept of justice and appointed to a Divisional Traffic Corps. My job is to reduce the incidence of serious and fatal traffic collisions and to reduce, detect and prosecute breaches of the road traffic act as well......and of course all the other offences that may present themselves.

And how can jackncoke get real answered here.....reporting it to the local station will allow meembers to check if it is in a public place......in which case they can prosecute.
    I do not hold the Gardai in very high regard RoverJames for reasons which are irrelevant to and which I will not go into in this thread.

Im sure the feel is mutual......
    Fair enough antodeco but jackncoke should not have being initially directed to automatically report somebody like he/she was. While there is a possibilty nobody knows for sure if the other tenant was breaking the law or not. Its lousy trigger happy advice if you ask me

Suprisingly enough this is the first time anyone has ever said i've given lousy trigger happy advice.......if anyone agrees i'd love for them to point it out, Thanks

I serious think you need to remove that chip and relax abit. If you cant post like an adult in a mature manner with facts, then dont post on an adult forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

galwaytt wrote: »
    Even car parks like shopping centres do not require tax, but they do require insurance. It has been deemed by the courts that where such areas have common access to the public, insurance is still required for liability reasons. Fair enough. But, being private property, road tax is not required.

An MPV parked in a public place needs to have Tax displayed.

Public place is defined as follows in the Road Traffic Act 1961
    "public place" means any street, road or other place to which the public have access with vehicles whether as of right or by permission and whether subject to or free of charge;

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭stevie.enright

Onkle wrote: »
    And if you would like to keep posting here you better reign in your attitude. Nice Guy Always has made no secret of the fact that he is a member of the Traffic Corps so it actually is his job to chase up traffic offences.

Ok, and does Nice Guy Always job entail giving bad advice to members of the public on boards.ie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Ok, and does Nice Guy Always job entail giving bad advice to members of the public on boards.ie?

Can you show us where this bad advice is? I have read the thread and he didnt make any mistake.

Hold on......how can you say I dont?? Do major ciminals not use the roads??

Yes they do but are only done for revenue generating motoring offences to a large degree on the roads
    So in short no I dont have anything "better" to do.

You said it my friend...
    Im employed by the Dept of justice and appointed to a Divisional Traffic Corps. My job is to reduce the incidence of serious and fatal traffic collisions and to reduce, detect and prosecute breaches of the road traffic act as well......and of course all the other offences that may present themselves..

Do the Garda Traffic Corps really fulfill this function though I genuinely ask you? I am all too sick to the teeth of seeing the Traffic Corps pulling for insignificant minor offences that do not endanger road users. Such as pulling people on moving into hatched sections when coming up to a cross if traffic is not moving in either direction. I know this is an offence too but from my experience on the roads the Traffic Corps do not have their priorities right and are concentrating too much on these mundance offences. Other more dangerous offences such as detecting wreckless speeding in known black spots or dangerous lane swapping in fast dual carriageways don't seem to be policed properly at all if you ask me.
    And how can jackncoke get real answered here.....reporting it to the local station will allow meembers to check if it is in a public place......in which case they can prosecute.

The alternative being sorting out real crime as oppossed to investigating something that may (or may not) be a small insignificant offence in the scheme of things such as having a car parked in a public place with no valid motor tax or nct displayed. If you were to give advice here would the best advice to jackncoke be to try to ascertain id the car is parked on a public place first and then report it, with the added possibilty that it may cause unrest between him/ her and their neighbours. I'm sure you would not like to see the Gardai's limited time and resources wasted either?

Im sure the feel is mutual.......

Surprised?

Suprisingly enough this is the first time anyone has ever said i've given lousy trigger happy advice.......if anyone agrees i'd love for them to point it out, Thanks

I serious think you need to remove that chip and relax abit. If you cant post like an adult in a mature manner with facts, then dont post on an adult forum.

I'm most very relaxed my friend and think that you are the one nursing a chip on your shoulder. Never being accused of acting in a immature manner before on boards or by my real world friends for that matter. As I suggested before would it not be better idea for you to post sound correct advise as oppossed to posting on a forum at all?

TheNog please see below for where bad advice was given

Report them!!!!!

You last sentence should have answered the question jack!!

May I suggest that you read the thread properly RoverJames before posting.

I reckon before you post you'd want to have a serious think about what you are posting. I'll keep your advice in mind though, cheers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

That wasn't bad advice. You clearly have an issue with the Gardai but you aren't going to use this forum as a platform to air your attacks.

Now if you want to discuss the topic from the OP go ahead. If not please refrain from posting in this thread. If you have any issues with this feel free to PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

TheNog please see below for where bad advice was given

There is no bad advice there.

Onkle wrote: »
    That wasn't bad advice.
    TheNog wrote: »
    There is no bad advice there.

I'll agree to differ with both of yer opinions on this one lads.

Advertisement