Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are the garda implementing the points for driving with no NCT?

Options
  • 29-10-2009 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

If NCT is out of date and dont have a confirmed booking are they awarding the ludicrous 5 points? Are they awarding the points if out of date and you do have a confirmed booking?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It will depend on who stops you I guess. The offence is for having no NCT, not for haveing no NCT but with a provisional booking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Id make sure your tyres are road legal and all lights are working, otherwise they should give you every penalty point they can.

...except for the fact that 'they' can only do you for one offence
    Q. What happens if I am stopped and a number of penalty point offences are detected?

Will I receive penalty points for each one? No. Using the scenario from the previous answer it should be borne in mind that the same driver in that scenario could have committed a speeding offence also and have been uninsured. The no-insurance offence is not a fixed charge offence so if convicted in court for driving without insurance and 5 penalty points are imposed then that being the highest number of penalty points attaching to any of the multiple offences involved would be the total number of penalty points endorsed on that drivers licence record on this occasion. The fixed charge for every individual offence, or a fine in court for every individual convicted offence, would apply however.
    http://www.penaltypoints.ie/faq.php

kbannon wrote: »
    ...except for the fact that 'they' can only do you for one offence

http://www.penaltypoints.ie/faq.php

I reckon you are not 100% correct there, if you are stopped and are charged with 2 offences one being 2 points and the other being 1 point you only receive 2 points.

However if you are stopped and are done for 2 two pointers you can receive 4. That's my understanding, I may be wrong.

you can be done for all offences but receive points for only one of them to my knowledge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Considering that the NCT wait is down to 9 days (I booked a car on Monday, October 19th, and had the test last night), there should be very few around with no NCT or panicing because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Any Garda I know say that they will look athe NCT disc if the car looks a bit ropey.
    Generally they will let it slide if you have a booking & the car appears to be in reasonable order, it is not the decree from the top though. If there are other issues when you are stopped then they will make a big deal of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Fey! wrote: »
    Considering that the NCT wait is down to 9 days (I booked a car on Monday, October 19th, and had the test last night), there should be very few around with no NCT or panicing because of it.

Bah. Going to change the car in the new year and was hoping the wait time would get me there. Dont want to have to spend money on it if needs a lot of work just to hold onto it for a couple of months. Not that its a rust bucket, it got new front tires, brake pads and disc this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Scruff wrote: »
    Bah. Going to change the car in the new year and was hoping the wait time would get me there. Dont want to have to spend money on it if needs a lot of work just to hold onto it for a couple of months. Not that its a rust bucket, it got new front tires, brake pads and disc this year.

So why don't you get a booking date in December so you can carry it about, then cancel it giving the minimum notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Scruff wrote: »
    Bah. Going to change the car in the new year and was hoping the wait time would get me there.

Very hard to get rid of any car without an NCT in the current climate, I'd have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

sorry for asking this, i dont mean to hijack the thread...just wondering if you get penalty points for driving in the bus lane? a friend of mine got caught yesterday...€80 fine but not sure bout points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Zube wrote: »
    Very hard to get rid of any car without an NCT in the current climate, I'd have thought.

it'll be 11 years old next year so would be hard to get rid of regardless unless there is a scrapage scheme!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭stevie.enright

So why don't you get a booking date in December so you can carry it about, then cancel it giving the minimum notice.

Out of curiosity is it possible to keep booking a NCT and cancelling it without paying a surcharge when you do finally take it, assuming you cancel in time each time? A car I bought some time back and is out of NCT since May 2008, Car is verified to be roadworthy by my mechanic but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay the NCT fee for the sake of a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Fey! wrote: »
    That depends on where your booking i booked in september to get a date in mid november it was the only date in midnovember that or late december :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

kbannon wrote: »
    you can be done for all offences but receive points for only one of them to my knowledge

Correct, you can be prosecuted (we dont do anyone....except the wives and honeys:D) for all offences, but you can only get penalty points for one offence. So lets say your speeding, while on the phone and overtaking on hatch markings.....you will only get 2 points but will get three fines of €80, 60 and 80.

On the NCT if you are prosecuted for no NCT it is a court appearance. On conviction the 5 points are added. The Garda or Judge have no descression in this regard. They are mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Theres a car parked in my apartment block (being used by a tenant I assume) which has insurance going until june 2010 however,it has no tax since march 2009 or nct since 2007!

How can people get away with driving these cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

jackncoke wrote: »
    Theres a car parked in my apartment block (being used by a tenant I assume) which has insurance going until june 2010 however,it has no tax since march 2009 or nct since 2007!

Report them!!!!!

You last sentence should have answered the question jack!!

Out of curiosity is it possible to keep booking a NCT and cancelling it without paying a surcharge when you do finally take it, assuming you cancel in time each time? A car I bought some time back and is out of NCT since May 2008, Car is verified to be roadworthy by my mechanic but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay the NCT fee for the sake of a few months.

It's possible to keep doing that, however if you're stopped and the the disc is out that long and your insurance disk shows that you have the car on the road for considerable months a shrewd / vigilant Guard may well twig that you have a test booked next month but the car has been on the road for the last six. If it's due in May you can do it 3 months early. Worth a try but potentially risky.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

RoverJames wrote: »
    It's possible to keep doing that, however if you're stopped and the the disc is out that long and your insurance disk shows that you have the car on the road for considerable months a shrewd / vigilant Guard may well twig that you have a test booked next month but the car has been on the road for the last six. If it's due in May you can do it 3 months early. Worth a try but potentially risky.

Wouldn't it be easier take the NCT instead of trying to act the mick?

we dont do anyone....except the wives and honeys:D
    Ha Ha - its nice to know that AGS members have a good imagination :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

My mini was in for its NCT a month ago. Failed on a few things. Got them fixed, except one, so skipping this NCT. Means I will need to do a full NCT next time. Was stopped last night, Garda just waved me on. Car is well looked after, just the usual problems 20 year old cars have! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

jackncoke wrote: »

Report them!!!!!

Before you report him are you sure the car is being used? I had a car in a private car park which was insured in case of fire/theft etc but the tax was way out. It was my girlfriends car and she then got a company car so her car went unused till we decided to sell it a good few months later

Report them!!!!!

Do ye guys have anything better to do such as catching proper criminals perhaps or would that be too much like real work and put ye out? Note also that jackncoke never mentioned that the car was on the road for definate. If the car is parked up in private property (which neither of us know) why should the owner be reported could you answer me?

Do ye guys have anything better to do such as catching proper criminals perhaps or would that be too much like real work and put ye out? Note also that jackncoke never mentioned that the car was on the road for definate. If the car is parked up in private property (which neither of us know) why should the owner be reported could you answer me?

From the sounds of your comment I get the impression that you think folks posting on this thread are Gardai :confused: Also if the car is parked on private property why would he ask can he keep booking an NCT and cancel it repeatedly, there is no doubt the car is on the road.
    Wouldn't it be easier take the NCT instead of trying to act the mick?

Most definitely, keep in mind that I was answering a specific question and did mention that it was risky ;). I wouldn't do it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

From the sounds of your comment I get the impression that you think folks posting on this thread are Gardai :confused:
    Confused? As to whether or not nice guy always is a member in good standing? Pay attention! :D

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Confused? As to whether or not nice guy always is a member in good standing? Pay attention! :D

Ah yes, I hadn't read some of the posts above, weird way to speak to a Garda on a forum really. You'd want to be all taxed, NCTd and insured :D

From the sounds of your comment I get the impression that you think folks posting on this thread are Gardai :confused: Also if the car is parked on private property why would he ask can he keep booking an NCT and cancel it repeatedly, there is no doubt the car is on the road.

May I suggest that you read the thread properly RoverJames before posting.

Ah yes, I hadn't read some of the posts above, weird way to speak to a Garda on a forum really.

I do not hold the Gardai in very high regard RoverJames for reasons which are irrelevant to and which I will not go into in this thread.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I do not hold the Gardai in very high regard RoverJames for reasons which are irrelevant to and which I will not go into in this thread.

Whilst you are entitled to your opinion, that doesnt mean you should refute someone elses desire to report possible illegal activities (or at least understanding of what could be entailed to be illegal activites)

• Advertisement

antodeco wrote: »
    Whilst you are entitled to your opinion, that doesnt mean you should refute someone elses desire to report possible illegal activities (or at least understanding of what could be entailed to be illegal activites)

Fair enough antodeco but jackncoke should not have being initially directed to automatically report somebody like he/she was. While there is a possibilty nobody knows for sure if the other tenant was breaking the law or not. Its lousy trigger happy advice if you ask me

Advertisement