Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Laguna

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I outlined our reasons for changing in the first post. I never mentioned that the car was unreliable.

I made the final deal on the car this evening. I actually made a mistake on the spec of the car. It is a Laguna Dynamique. I didn't know that there were 3 specs in the laguna range. The Dynamique has a list price of €29k or there abouts. I am happier now, those of you that said I was paying €2k over were right on the button.

Thanks for the information and advice guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Congrats, Dynamique is a much better proposition. Happy motoring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Can't think of a better car for clocking up the miles than the new Laguna either. Well wear with it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I almost had the missus sold on the new laguna early last year, but she wouldnt bite on a brand new car (women, what do they know:mad:). Ended up in an 05 Grand Scenic which we are very happy with. I always look fondly when a new Laguna goes by tho. There is always the hope I'll win a few quid a get myself a Laguna coupe though:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I have to say that when I see a Laguna I tend to look twice, it's eye catching in an early E60 kind of a way and I've warmed to it's looks more so now than at launch. It is a bit challenging but does make the Avensis/Mondea/Passat brigade look very predictable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

There's an 08 Koleos on there too for 15k-the model that it is was over 33k new last year! Why anyone would bother mind...

bazz26 wrote: »

I actually think the Laguna would be a pretty good car if it weren't so bloody dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I actually think the Laguna would be a pretty good car if it weren't so bloody dull.

Just like Volvos eh? ;) Seriously though, I think it's gorgeous, and the depreciation will make it a fantastic buy in a few years. Contrary to my original opinion, the Laguna 3 does seem to be reliable.

Confab wrote: »
    Just like Volvos eh? ;)

Well I don't think Volvo's are any duller than the likes of Mercedes to be honest.
    Seriously though, I think it's gorgeous, and the depreciation will make it a fantastic buy in a few years.

I think you are being wayyyyyy too generous in your description of what is a safely styled, anonymous family car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I wouldn't call the Laguna III gorgeous or even desireable but I have driven one and do think it's better than many assume.

Firstly, Renault were badly stung by the catastprophic reliability record of the MkII and went above and beyond normal endurance testing to get things right. CAR Mag did a feature on it. (And before MkII owners come on saying they have driven one for 280,000 miles and all they needed was an oil-change and new tyres...you are EuroMillons lucky...look it up online - the early cars were horrendously crap).

Secondly the interior is really high quality - better than a Mondeo or Mazda 6 for example. It mightn't satisfy VAG fetishists but I find German interiors boring.

Thirdly the Laguna hasn't ballooned in sized like the Mondeo and some other rivals. At least it feels chuckable whilst still having lots of interior space.

I have to smile at the OP's worry about running costs and the assertation that the 1.5 has adequete poke even though (apparantly) the new 2.0 is the same tax band as smaller engine. Why are the irish so hung-up on small engines:o? I'd say the real world running cost differences would be minimal as the 2.0 won't be working as hard and it'd be much better to drive. Having said that a 2.0 would be substantally dearer and it'll be a while before they have a glut of them built up and ready to sell at reduced prices! 110bhp is good for a 1.5D but it's barely acceptable for a car the Laguna's size.

I think it's s/h the new Laguna will make most sense as the terrible reputation of the II has destroyed resale value, many won't realise the III is probably a substantally improved car...

Advertisement