Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Laguna

Options
  • 29-10-2009 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

We did a deal on a 09d pre registered laguna with 15km on it yesterday. Its a 1.5dci 110bhb Royale. It wasn't a case of wanting a new car, it was a case of needing one. The Mrs does a lot of miles travelling to and from work. she has a 08 1.4 d4d Toyota Auris and has just over 100,000 km on it in less than 2 years. It really wasn't the car that we thought it would be. It has become a little rattly - toyotas shouldn't do this in my experience. The biggest problem that we have is the safety of the car though. Because it is quite a high car, when you drive it on a windy day, it blows all over the place and you feel like you will be pushed off the road. She had a polo before this and never had this problem.

Anyway we went off to a friend of mine who owns a Renault garage but has got us any make of car that we wanted in the past with the hope of buying a new VW Golf. He had just got a load of these 09d lagunas - they were coming off the lorry when we arrived. We talked for a while and one of the workers came to the office with the key and he offered us a drive in one. Unbelievable drive in comparison to the Auris. A lot of power, much heavier on the road. Serious interior finish. The technical specs are way ahead of the auris - 61mpg, 110 bhp etc.

So after a bit of talking, he told us that he could do the car for us at €5k off the list price. that left the straight price at €23k. He offered us €12k for the auris. We did the deal at that. have to pay €11k next week.

Last week we priced a VW garage for a trade in against a 1.9 Golf and we would have to pay €12 1/2k in January with the Auris for a 10 golf.

Do you think we got a good enough deal. Bearing in mind that the new laguna has a 3 year 150kkm warranty and 30kkm service intervals?
    We have had a Renault Megane before, but it was nothing like this car to drive. But it was reliable and never let us down - it was a better car than the Auris IMO.

Would love a few opinions on it - haven't paid any money yet so can still go back on it if we find that its a bad deal.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭BrianD3

So 23k in a straight deal and 11k with the Auris?

I can only give you some prices for a straight deal. A few months ago I was offered a brand new (unregistered, 0 kms) Laguna Royale for 20k. Also, if you look on Carzone used cars section there is 09 one with 10 kms advertised for 18.9k.

I know trading is different than a straight deal but I think you could have pushed for a better deal based on:
    09 for 18.9k and keep your Auris
    or
    09 for 11k and give them your Auris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

You could go for a better car tbh... Honda Accord diesel springs to mind (the '08 version).

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sullydublin

French cars give alot of electrical trouble . i would stick with honda or ford are good also

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP did you go to a different Renault dealer to compare prices against a similar Laguna? In my experience when it comes to business there are no friends or favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

If it was me I'd be pushing for a Dynamique or at a push a Privilage for the same money. The Royal is basic and won't be as easy to shift down the line (not that anything is).

Laguna is a good car, if it suits you needs go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I reckon you paid maybe €2k too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I know your wife does a lot of mileage and any car will not be worth a whole lot afterwards but a high mileage, base model diesel Laguna would be nigh on impossible.

I'd be more inclined to go for something like this if I were in your position. You'd probably get a better allowance from a Toyota dealer with your Auris.

no-image-large.gif

A high mileage Toyota would be an easier sell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I tried another couple of garages over the last few weeks, but none will even consider a 08 Auris with 100k on it for a trade in.

As for selling private and going for a straight deal, would you buy a 08 Auris with 100k on it that is out of waranty???????
    I know I wouldn't.

The Mileage is a killer, but in reality, the auris lost only €8k in 2 years, that's only €4k per year which still left her with very cheap driving if you compair it to other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

reilig wrote: »
    I tried another couple of garages over the last few weeks, but none will even consider a 08 Auris with 100k on it for a trade in.

As for selling private and going for a straight deal, would you buy a 08 Auris with 100k on it that is out of waranty???????
    I know I wouldn't.

The Mileage is a killer, but in reality, the auris lost only €8k in 2 years, that's only €4k per year which still left her with very cheap driving if you compair it to other cars.

I presume the mileage isn't going to change so at the end of 2011 you'll be looking at a 2 year old Laguna with 100,000km?

If an Auris is currently worth €8k the Laguna would probably be worth about €5k if you can find a buyer. Massive depreciation, even though it's cheap to begin with.

Big problem is going to be that what ever car you buy now will lose a huge amount in 2 years / 100,000km.

Confab wrote: »
    You could go for a better car tbh... Honda Accord diesel springs to mind (the '08 version).

Honda accord Diesels are 2.2 litre and have a list price of €37k. I know its a much better car, but it would not be practical for us with fuel economy, road tax or insurance. It would also have a greater depreciation than the Laguna.

I'm not racist, but I just don't drive Fords :)

• Advertisement

R.O.R wrote: »
    I presume the mileage isn't going to change so at the end of 2011 you'll be looking at a 2 year old Laguna with 100,000km?

If an Auris is currently worth €8k the Laguna would probably be worth about €5k if you can find a buyer. Massive depreciation, even though it's cheap to begin with.

Big problem is going to be that what ever car you buy now will lose a huge amount in 2 years / 100,000km.

The Auris is worth €12k.

The argument for the laguna is the 150kkm warranty - so when we trade it at 100kkm, it will be still under warranty for 50kkm

But i think that no matter what car we buy it is going to have huge depreciation because of the mileage.

Honda accord Diesels are 2.2 litre and have a list price of €37k. I know its a much better car, but it would not be practical for us with fuel economy NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE I'D IMAGINE , road tax €302 FOR THE YEAR or insurance THIS IS THE ONLY CLINCHER I CAN SEE. It would also have a greater depreciation than the Laguna. NOT IN A MILLION YEARS IF YOU BUY RIGHT

I'm not racist, but I just don't drive Fords :)

See above.

Put the Auris up for sale on done deal and buy straight cash if possible or even from UK

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The Auris is worth €12k.

The argument for the laguna is the 150kkm warranty - so when we trade it at 100kkm, it will be still under warranty for 50kkm

But i think that no matter what car we buy it is going to have huge depreciation because of the mileage.

I'll stand by my valuation on the Laguna though.

While the fact it still has 50,000km left of warranty (3 years is it?) stands in it's favour, the fact it's a 2 year old Laguna with 100,000km on the clock outweighs all that.

Would a better idea not be to buy a low mileage, used Accord or something with a reliable reputation, and run it in to the ground (currently what I'm doing on 40,000km a year). Comfortable car to drive, unlikely to break, didn't cost as much as a new Laguna and well able to handle anything you throw at it.

EPM wrote: »
    Originally Posted by reilig
    Honda accord Diesels are 2.2 litre and have a list price of €37k. I know its a much better car, but it would not be practical for us with fuel economy NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE I'D IMAGINE , road tax €302 FOR THE YEAR or insurance THIS IS THE ONLY CLINCHER I CAN SEE. It would also have a greater depreciation than the Laguna.

See above.

Put the Auris up for sale on done deal and buy straight cash if possible or even from UK

Noone will buy an Auris private with 100k on it and no warranty.

The price diffwerence between the Laguna and an Accord is €15k. We just don't have that kind of money.

Fuel economy: Laguna: 5.1l/100km Accord: 7.1/100km (huge difference because of engine size)

Tax is twice on an accord to what it is on the Laguna.

Insurance - huge difference between a 1.5 and a 2.2

I know I wouldn't.
    Fair point and it does show how the Laguna with its 3 year/150,000 km manufacturer warranty has an advantage over Toyota's and other manufacturers' 100,000 km warranty.

It is the case that no matter what new car you buy you will lose a lot of money on it if you try to sell again in 2 years. In general the more you spend, the more you lose. People in this forum get very excited about Renault % depreciation but rarely take account of the fact that the cars are cheaper to buy in the first place and often have big discounts off list price

No matter what car you buy I would be looking at keeping it a lot longer than 2 years. Tha Laguna is well capable of doing big mileage, it's not as if its going to be "worn out" after 2 years.

Just for info there is a revised Laguna for 2010, I think the UK has gotten this already. The 2.0 litre diesel with FAP and 150 bhp falls two tax bands into band B ie the same bands as the 1.5 DCi. There are also small styling changes.

So if you wait a bit longer they may be (more) desperate to get rid of remaining older models.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Just for info there is a revised Laguna for 2010, I think the UK has gotten this already. The 2.0 litre diesel with FAP and 150 bhp falls two tax bands into band B ie the same bands as the 1.5 DCi. There are also small styling changes.

So if you wait a bit longer they may be (more) desperate to get rid of remaining older models.

But a 2 litre is more expensive to run. We are happy with the 1.5 engine - its way ahead of the 1.4 toyota engine for power and for fuel consumption. If we wait to buy a new Laguna until 2010 we will be working off the full list price and therefore be paying €5k more. The Auris will have 110kkm on it by the new year and will be worth less again in a trade in.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Fair point and it does show how the Laguna with its 3 year/150,000 km manufacturer warranty has an advantage over Toyota's and other manufacturers' 100,000 km warranty.

It is the case that no matter what new car you buy you will lose a lot of money on it if you try to sell again in 2 years. In general the more you spend, the more you lose. People in this forum get very excited about Renault % depreciation but rarely take account of the fact that the cars are cheaper to buy in the first place and often have big discounts off list price

No matter what car you buy I would be looking at keeping it a lot longer than 2 years. Tha Laguna is well capable of doing big mileage, it's not as if its going to be "worn out" after 2 years.

Thanks.

I understand that some people on here have preferences for different makes of cars. I would prefer a VW or a Toyota to the Renault too, but the price difference is enormous. I think we are getting a fairly good deal with what we have agreed on. I am very good friends with the guy who is selling to me. He has always done me great deals for servicing (significantly cheaper than normal prices) and good deals for trade ins in the past too. Holding on to a car for more than 2 years really isn't an option for us with the amount of miles we do. We need to have at least 1 good reliable car in the house, I still think we have made the right decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

You should visit Renaults website.

There's currently €1500 trade in allowance, and €1500 scrappage on a new Laguna, bringing the price of a 1.5DCi Royale to €24040. Add €600 for delivery and €500 for metallic paint, it brings it to €25140.

I'd have expected to get a new, unregistered model for around €23000. For a pre reg, I'd have expected at least another €1500 off it.

Seriously, 100k km isn't a lot really. Any car will last multiples of that if looked after. Your current or next car is going to lose value because of this anyway so why not keep it longer? You're doing yourself out of thousands for no real reason there

• Advertisement

Seriously, 100k km isn't a lot really. Any car will last multiples of that if looked after. Your current or next car is going to lose value because of this anyway so why not keep it longer? You're doing yourself out of thousands for no real reason there

100k in less than 2 years is serious mileage though.

As a Toyota needs to be serviced every 15k, it would cost more to keep it on the road, compared to the Laguna, which is every 30k.

On top of that, its out of warranty. A car with that mileage in a short space of time could be coming up on some issues fairly soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

French cars give alot of electrical trouble . i would stick with honda or ford are good also

That is so untrue. I had so many diifferent cars in my life and the only cars with electrical problems were Mercedes, Bmw and VW.

100k in less than 2 years is serious mileage though.

As a Toyota needs to be serviced every 15k, it would cost more to keep it on the road, compared to the Laguna, which is every 30k.

On top of that, its out of warranty. A car with that mileage in a short space of time could be coming up on some issues fairly soon.

But €11k's worth?

But €11k's worth?

Probably not, no.

Its always nice to have a new car all the same!

Its always nice to have a new car all the same!

Only reason I ever change:D

You should visit Renaults website.

There's currently €1500 trade in allowance, and €1500 scrappage on a new Laguna, bringing the price of a 1.5DCi Royale to €24040. Add €600 for delivery and €500 for metallic paint, it brings it to €25140.

I'd have expected to get a new, unregistered model for around €23000. For a pre reg, I'd have expected at least another €1500 off it.

Don't know what site you're looking at but €1500 from €27000 does not give €24k

http://www.renault.ie/pv_pricelist_index.asp

Right here.

I should know exactly what the prices are, i've priced 10 of em up this moning for someone. I know there's more room for the dealer to move on that price too...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Just to give an option on mileage while 100,000kms in two years might a a little on the high side, I've done it myself for a few years.

I hope people are not starting to think that a car with over 100,000kms is at the end of the life, the way some people do when a car has 100,000 miles on it.

After all 100,000km is only 62,137miles.

Just thinking my car is is over 153,000miles which is 246,000km's

As I said earlier I was offered a new, unregistered Laguna Royale for 20k from a main dealer without me doing any haggling. And there is at least one 09 Royale with delivery mileage on carzone with asking price 18.9k. But when you have a part exchange, things are different.

edit: the one for 18.9k actually has 100 km on it. Here is another one for 19,500 with 10 kms.
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Laguna/1.5dCi-1/200942195553655/advert?channel=CARS

• Advertisement

Oh and as regard mileage and how long cars last and remain reliable - I drive 500-1000 miles per week in my 03 Laguna and it has over 215k miles up which is around 350k kms. Have owned it since new and it has been very reliable and needed relatively few wearing parts replacing. Still has original exhaust, battery, clutch, wheelbearings, 3 shocks, brake discs, most suspension etc.

Modern cars are very long lasting if they are reasonably well maintained. Diesels can suffer from more expensive faults and wear than petrols but really there should be a lot of reliable service left in that Auris, 100k kms is nothing. If you don't like the car then change it but don't change it because you think it's about to become unrelaible.

Advertisement