Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I obey the speed limit

Options
  • 28-10-2009 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

As the title says I obey the speed limit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Fair play, you'll get done for having no Irish tax though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Did you register just to say that?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well done horsebox. What speed limit would that be? The motorway speed limit while driving in a built up area, the speed limit for airplanes, speed limit for hedgehogs, hearses etc etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Blue peter badge is in the post

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What a waste of what could have been a perfectly good thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Just to make something of this thread, I was talking to an Englishman last night at the bar for ages about cars and driving etc, and he was saying that over there during rush hours, certain motorways are so busy that the speed limit actually changes according to the traffic load.

So you'll see on the boards overhead that certain lanes have a limit right up to 90mph. And even if you go over it, the Police are very lenient and don't care what speed you're going as long as its under 100mph and as long as you're not holding up traffic.

He said the motorways are absolutely chocobloc with thousands of cars, yet everyone is moving along at 70mph+. He said its a fantastic system and the traffic flow is smooth as butter.

Its a ten year ban apparently for 100mph+ so thats a big no no. Certain motorways also have the hard shoulder open to ease trafficflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

BrowniePointBackXL.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Just to make something of this thread, I was talking to an Englishman last night at the bar for ages about cars and driving etc, and he was saying that over there during rush hours, certain motorways are so busy that the speed limit actually changes according to the traffic load.

So you'll see on the boards overhead that certain lanes have a limit right up to 90mph. And even if you go over it, the Police are very lenient and don't care what speed you're going as long as its under 100mph and as long as you're not holding up traffic.

He said the motorways are absolutely chocobloc with thousands of cars, yet everyone is moving along at 70mph+. He said its a fantastic system and the traffic flow is smooth as butter.

Its a ten year ban apparently for 100mph+ so thats a big no no. Certain motorways also have the hard shoulder open to ease trafficflow.

They must be the ones without speed cameras because the motorways over there are FULL of them. I sware only for the sat nav I'd have been fcuked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

SarkySaul wrote: »
    tl:dr

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I also obey the speed limit. Listed as maximum speed in the owners manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I obey the voices in my bluetooth headset.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭unkel

As the title says I don't obey the speed limit on empty motorways

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

trollbgone.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 markus schulz

After Hours Forum perhaps.....then it would get very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I regularly go more than twice the speed limit.

:)
    Pleased to meet you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

you know those thick white lines on the M50 on the new parts? beside the hardshoulder. Is that the lane used for queing for the exit up ahead? the main 3lanes have thinner white lines..

I obey the speed limit. After I was caught not obeying the speed limit :pac:

Suggestion:

Maybe mods to leave open and use as an off topic/banter thread like seen on other forums here? Just without cat pics

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

congo_90 wrote: »
    you know those thick white lines on the M50 on the new parts? beside the hardshoulder. Is that the lane used for queing for the exit up ahead? the main 3lanes have thinner white lines..

I obey the speed limit. After I was caught not obeying the speed limit :pac:

Suggestion:

Maybe mods to leave open and use as an off topic/banter thread like seen on other forums here? Just without cat pics
    God damn I'm sorry :o
    Cat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

That gave me a good lol!
    Your own pic midnight?
    I wonder if the op suffers from people like this behind him?

driving_cat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Nope, google :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My wife sometimes loves it when I go slow. Other times she wants me to go fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

kbannon wrote: »

LOL:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

He's talking out his arse to be honest!

I live in Solihull (outside Birmingham) now and so use the M40/M42/M6 regularly and believe the M6 is the busiest stretch of motorway in Europe? Or so the rumour goes anyway!

The speed limit on motorways is 70mph and never any higher than that. They do (on M42 etc) have variable speed limits where during peak times the motorway is monitored remotely and the overhead boards set the variable limits. But its rare to do 70mph! Its often down to 40mph, which is grand to be honest its better than doing 70 then stopping 5miles down the road. They open up the hard shoulder too during rush hour which works really well despite my initial skepticism!

But yes, they do drive more quickly here when traffic allows. The outside lane on the M40 tends to move at 85-90mph which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Just off the M4 in Berkshire 40 mins ago. Indeed traffic moving very well apart from overtaking trucks in the middle lane but can't be helped.

The key thing over here (UK) that I've witnessed is the sense of cooperation on the roads. In other words, it's not a competition like it seems to be in Ireland. People get out of the way for the most part and allow other drivers past them, even if they're pushing 100 on the outside.

Sorry for the generalisation about Irish drivers/roads (and I'll be on them tonight) but I think it's correct. I can't see how we'll ever get to a place where we drive with a sense of shared responsibility because that requires most of the drivers on the road to do their bit. A handful can mess it up.

Btw, I'll be doing 60 kph on the M50 on the relevant parts but I won't be obstructing anyone. (just to stir it up a bit ... ) Most drivers here (uk) obey the 50mph bits of the motorways even the ones without average speed cameras.

Maybe one day ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

E39MSport wrote: »
    Most drivers here (uk) obey the 50mph bits of the motorways even the ones without average speed cameras.

Maybe one day ....

That's true alright. I like the way that over here people generally don't speed in built up areas etc but on the open road its more lenient. Plus the restricted speed zones on the motorway for roadworks are sensible i.e. 50mph not bloody 50kmph which is never going to be obeyed as its nonsense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

I don't obey speed limits or red lights!!!!

cat-driving-truck.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I've memorised the exact position to put my rear view mirror into, in order to blind the motorists behind me whose headlights are not dipped. This is while breaking the speed limit of course.. :D

edit to add lol cat.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=94710&stc=1&d=1256807764

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

SarkySaul wrote: »

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I always wonder about signs and what they really mean. For instance, the 'gates' they use in Tesco to block off checkouts when not in use say 'THIS DOOR IS ALARMED.' What if the door is merely slightly concerned? What then?

I second the opinion that this could be made into an off-topic/general chatter thread, Brisbane is boring when all you see are Holdens and Fords. These awful Commodore yokes are as common as Golfs back home, but somehow they're uglier than the Omega. I think it's the ugly badge and H O L D E N written across the boot to ensure no-one's in any doubt that it's Australian. Oh for the day I can inform them otherwise (Yeah I know the newer ones are Australian. Let me have my fantasy)

Farrr too much information for Motors. Just pray people don't start talking about 0-100 times :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭restaurants

yop wrote: »
    Well done horsebox. What speed limit would that be? The motorway speed limit while driving in a built up area, the speed limit for airplanes, speed limit for hedgehogs, hearses etc etc etc
    Yellow stripes go faster.....

Advertisement