Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-candida diet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 akaalias

EileenG wrote: »
    When I'm making this, I use mince, olives, celery or fennel, mushrooms (but you can leave these out), any veg lying around but well chopped up. And some tomato and stock, a couple of bay leaves, lots of garlic, oregano, maybe a bit of chili.

Well i have to come out and say it, i used the passata. 400g for about 4 servings. I tried it without any sauce in it at all and it was completely tasteless so i was fairly desperate. I reckon its far from the worst thing i could be eating. Just wish i had my porridge and coffee back!

Here's a bit of an update. Its now Day 9. Going well so far i think, apart from the hunger and lack of things to eat. I think i've been very strict so far, the only cheating i've done (if you could call it that) is using things like tomato paste, and the other day i bought a tomato soup that had vegetable buillon in it, which i can only assume had yeast extract in it. Apart from that i think i've been doing well.

I'm curious about what other things i can eat. I know rashers aren't the best thing in the world for your health, but would they be fine if candida was your problem? Sodium nitrite being the addiditive i'm worried about.

Does salt have any connetion with candida, not that i use a lot of it, but just wondering whether this is something that i should be proactively looking to avoid? I'm sure there's more questions i've got but thats all i can think of for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I eaten rashers and eggs a lot for breakfast. Thai Curries could be a good option akaalias, there's a range in the normal section of the supermarkets which are good. I'll get the name later. I find a lot of the time it's better not to be bother with things like rice and just throw in loads of veg instead.

jdivision wrote: »
    I eaten rashers and eggs a lot for breakfast. Thai Curries could be a good option akaalias, there's a range in the normal section of the supermarkets which are good. I'll get the name later. I find a lot of the time it's better not to be bother with things like rice and just throw in loads of veg instead.

At the moment i'm doing just that, avoiding rice and throwing in as much vegetables as possible. Also using things like green curry paste which doesn't seem to have any additives in it. Bombay Pantry seem to do good (but expensive) sauces, just have to avoid the ones with milk and/or cream in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

akaalias wrote: »
    Here's a bit of an update. Its now Day 9. Going well so far i think, apart from the hunger and lack of things to eat. I think i've been very strict so far, the only cheating i've done (if you could call it that) is using things like tomato paste, and the other day i bought a tomato soup that had vegetable buillon in it, which i can only assume had yeast extract in it. Apart from that i think i've been doing well.

I'm curious about what other things i can eat. I know rashers aren't the best thing in the world for your health, but would they be fine if candida was your problem? Sodium nitrite being the addiditive i'm worried about.

Does salt have any connetion with candida, not that i use a lot of it, but just wondering whether this is something that i should be proactively looking to avoid? I'm sure there's more questions i've got but thats all i can think of for now.

I wouldn't worry about salt. If you can find some nitrite free rashers, I'd definitely go for them. Check out organic markets for home cured bacon.

• Advertisement

That range is called Thai Gold by the way

Thanks for those replies. I'm familiar with the Thai Gold range, have a few of their products in the cupboard.

As for the rashers, i think i'll try to avoid them for the moment. Maybe wait until week 3 or so. I'm supposed to be avoiding anything smoked as well, so i'd have to find unsmoked rashers. As far as i can tell the sodium nitrite/nitrate isn't all that bad, but even if it is, there seems to be no connection between it and candida. Although if someone know something to the contrary i'd like to be corrected!

I used to make a kind of chilli con carne too, that was good and filling.

Day 11: And still going strong enough i think. So i've another question which i'd appreciate some opinions on. Last night i made hummus (sp?). 2 cans of chick peas, 3 tbsp tahini, half a lemon, 1/2 tsp salt, 4 cloves of garlic...think thats it. Tasted great. But i'm a little worried about the carbohydrate content of the chick peas. Is it something i should be worried about? I'm hoping its fine because i'm needing the fibre right now, for obvious reasons.

They are on the high side, but they also have a lot of fiber, so by day 11, you'll probably get away with it.

• Advertisement

They are on the high side, but they also have a lot of fiber, so by day 11, you'll probably get away with it.

To tell you the truth, i've only just looked them up now and noticed they are 45% carbohydrate, which is my own fault, i had no idea it was this high. I'll finish the batch i've made and leave it at that for a few weeks.

I've noticed while doing this diet that it is ridiculously easy to accidently sabotage yourself. Things like chickpeas, a good low gi bean that could potentially be counter-productive, cheese with it's zero carbs but potential mould, nuts with their low carbs and also potenially carrying mold, apple cider vinegar being advised and demonised in the same breath. Right now a voluntary 8 week coma would be fantastic...make that 5 weeks, i want a selection box!

Definitely the anti-candida diet is harder than straight low carb.

Day 15: I'm beginning to reach the end of my tether i think. After 15 days i'm not sure i can see any improvements. Yesterday i cheated a little, smoked ham and pistachio nuts, so its not like i ate a bar of chocolate or anything. Should i be expecting improvements at this stage? Also in this respect, i'm not sure how to go about measuring improvements (if any). Currently i'm using my tongue, which has that green coating and is slightly cracked in the middle. As far as i can see this has not changed.

I have lost a little weight, which is not something i want to do very much, i'm trying to keep up the olive oil and butter. If anyone has any input as to how long this will take or anything else useful it'd be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Hey - i'm no expert and far from knowledgeable on candida and the diet but i would imagine that a tiny slip here or there will prolong or go against what you are trying to achieve.

Horrible diet to have to follow though - kudos to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭jpr1973

OP, you need to start using Virgin Cocunut Oil to help kill off the candida as its a natural anti fungal supplement. start off small like one table spoon a day and gradually build up to 3/4 table spoons a day (not all together but over the course of the day)

I have skin condition psoriasis and have started a pretty much yeast free diet the last 7 days to see if i can improve my condition. My main advice to you is get a very strong blender and start making veggie shakes. I drink about 600g of veggie shakes a day. the veg i include are carrots,broccoilli, cauliflower, sweet potato, celery, Aubergine and a full head of lettuce. I put in a small cup full of organic apple juice to add a bit of flavour and also some ground cinnamon and fill the rest with water. I have now started to add the virgin coconut oil to the shake. The easiest way to prepare the shake is to buy the veg fresh, then chop them up in to small bits and store in freezer bag so you only need to prepare them once a week or so.

Also you can use the virgin coconut oil on your skin as a moisturiser and i find it very helpful.

On day 6, yesterday , i felt like i was getting the flu and still feel bad today. i am unsure if it is die off of the candidia or the actual flu but im going to continue taking the Coconut oil regardless. The other way i ingest the coconut oil is by putting some in a cup of green tea and drinking it.

By the way i have noticed some changes for the better on my skin condition.. slowly but surely... as long as i can stay out of the pub over xmas ;-(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

+1 on the coconut oil, just fantastic for overall health too.

jpr1973, have you ever tried vitamin D supplementation for psoriasis?

If you find that being out in the sun improves your condition then a 5,000IU a day supplement could really help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭jpr1973

No i dont take a vitamin D supplement however it more or less dissappeared when i travlled through asia for three months 2 years ago due the relaxation and the constant sunshine. I wasnt watching my diet back then and was drinking alcohol every two days and i could still keep it under control.

I shall start on the vitamin D and see how i go. thanks for the advice.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Definitely give it a try, there's a lot of research backing it up if you have a google.

Bear in mind the the D you get in the shops isn't high-potency enough to work.

I recommend these:

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Vitamin-D-3-Highest-Potency-5-000-IU-120-Softgels/10421?at=0

Four month's supply for a fiver!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

I have this issue too. Its so common. I'm a sportsman and find it really though. Main problem for me would be general lethargy,bloating/stomach problems,cold hands,shallow breathing, brain fog and spacey feeling.

I find Threelac makes a big differance to be fair. It works out at apx 45euros a month(1box). Other probitiocs DON'T work until the candida is gone. I get it from The Finchley clinic online. If you are ordering any let me know as I can give you a discount code to type in.

A good book is "Hard to stomach" written by John Mckenna. It will explain a lot to you. He is based in Naas.

I've never been able to shake this but I get the feeling it would take a year to clear it for me and i'm not giving up my life to eat rice cakes and salads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 carg72

Candida causes me so much trouble! Bought a book on the harcombe diet, good but very hard to stcik to. can only have one carb a day for first 5 days and it has to be either porridge or brown rice - no sudar at all for 5 days!! tried it a couple of weeks ago but il be honest i had 2 of those carbs each day for energy but the no sugar part was grand. Gonna try it again when i get back to work next week - strict but clears the candida! But honestly - no yeast no sugar is th way to go. Find acidophilus tablets good too.

• Advertisement

To be fair you gotta live like a monk. Its a pretty impossible diet for anybody who has a social life or exercises!! The problem is it usually involves other issues like leaky gut syndrome. It's never just an overgrowth of fungus.I have read it takes a month for every year you have had it to clear!

If you do some reading on low carb, it's possible to have a social life while sticking to the diet. If you eat out, order something like grilled salmon or steak, green veg, and all dressings on the side. You could even eat in a fast food place if you get the salad bowl and a plain burger but dump the bun.

Hey, it's no worse than being pregnant, with the huge long list of things you must not eat or drink, not to mention all the busybodies who will tell you exactly why you should not be eating whatever you ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Hey, it's no worse than being pregnant, with the huge long list of things you must not eat or drink, not to mention all the busybodies who will tell you exactly why you should not be eating whatever you ordered.

I would like to see anybusybody (bar scientific advice) tell what I can and can't eat when (if) I am pregnant - our (my) parents ate, drank and smoked and we (I) were (am) fine!!!

Candida is evil and I am dubious if you can ever get fully rid of it, I have tried so many different things including Tree lac as mentioned above!!!

Think its more leaky gut for me!

Pembily wrote: »
    I would like to see anybusybody (bar scientific advice) tell what I can and can't eat when (if) I am pregnant - our (my) parents ate, drank and smoked and we (I) were (am) fine!!!

You'd be amazed the way a bump brings out the busy bodies. And what's worse, because you can't actually see the baby, and have no way of knowing how it's getting on inside there, you actually do what you are told. Or try to. I can't think of a single food that some expert somewhere doesn't have a good reason for banning pregnant women from eating it.

The anti candida diet only helps the symptons and I have my doubts it will clear it for most people. I think its madness to stick to a diet without any form of sugar including fruit sugar. From what I have been reading oxygen treatment is the way to go. As for threelac within 3 days of it I felt better after 2 years of shallow breathing. As somebody who was trying to run everyday and compete it was like a miracle. It's not a cure but certainly helps.Will try the oxygen to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Emma216

Hi ive been suffering from candida for 5 years and been fighting it for over 3 years.Ive done a lot of research on candida and work full time in a healthfood store so i was lucky to have alot of good imformation close at hand.
    Before i started the candida diet i suffered from thrush 365 days a year (no im not kidding you!):(I was so low in confidence and always grumpy.
    I started quite strict avoiding all sugar,including fruit,yeast,fermented foods,alcohol and sweeteners.also went low carb.Itook threelac while i was on the diet also.i remained on this for 2 weeks bofore cheating with a few vodkas in the weekend and since then its been on and off with the diet
    Gradually though over the years my thrush has stopped and now i only get it twice or three times a year, and only when i go ape on sugar i.e christmas.Mainly from monday to friday i go by the candida diet but in the weekends i may have a couple of vodkas(pure and the least fermented alcohol) and diet coke or a bar of sugar free chocolate(70% cocoa content and sweetend with xyitol)
    My battle still isnt over but my quality of life has skyrocketed and im a much happier person.
    I could say loads more on this but id be here all day.If anyone would like to ask me any questions though id be happy to help.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ciaranoco

I have been on the candida diet a week and half and not noticed any changes. Kind of impatient, I know..:(

My main symptom is brain fog but I'm pretty sure I have candida as I have white tongue on the morning and a york test for food intolerance identified yeast and dairy as avoid foods. PLus the home saliva test shows teh stringy legs etc

I have had the brain fog for years (more than 10) and more foggy than clear over this time. So I have just recently zoned in on it as a symptom of yeast intolerance and started the diet. I hadn't made the connection. Does anyone have a good experience of overcoming the brain fog through the diet they can share (might help me hang in there...) and how long did it take?

The diet is hard and I'm taking 3lac to help the battle along.

Tx

ciaranoco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mollypd

I was wondering if anyone had tried wormwood to treat candida. Was reading up on it and it has some nasty side effects if used incorrectly but seems to be effective. Also says u will be ill for a few days while candida is dying off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 purple123

i have been suffering from candida since the birth of my little girl 15 mths ago.

I tried everything with the doctor but didnt work. I researched it a lot on the net and bought different supplements but never really knocked it on the head. I went to Jan De Viers clinic in Dublin and got drops called Spilanthes to take twice a day in water their own vitamins Anduvite and Udos Choice Super 8 Probiotics. She told me to cut out sugar yeast Heiniken :( fruit and eat of green veg, salad, chicken brown rice and pasta, oily fish and drink LOTS of water. she told me to do this for 6 wks and to go back.

Its improved a lot but was still there. I rang her up and she sent me out tablets "Yeast Balance" to take twice a day along with what i was previously taking but take the drops only once a day. I also started drinking one teaspoon of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar in a glass of warm water. I really think the vinegar helped me from the day i started taking it there was a big improvement!

She said to take the above for 2 months and if i still had it to go back and they will do a blood test. It takes a while for the diet and supplements to work give it 2 months, 2 wks is not enough time. I hope this might help someone cause it really gets you down i used to cry thinking will it never get better but i slightly hav it now but so happy its not like before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I'm planning on going on an anti-candida plan as of from tomorrow. Have been having bad angular stomatitis lately which is a candida manifestation and generally feeling a bit run down.

Just wondering Eileen, would pumpkin be ok or too high carb if it was only for one meal a day? I have pumpkin soup planned tomorrow and really want to go ahead with it as I have bought lots of extravagant bits for it. I would find it hard to go without pumpkin at this time of year. :(

Also as far as dairy goes, I know yoghurt and cottage cheese are ok, but what about ricotta, creme fraiche, mascapone etc?

My plan is to;

Cut out: mushrooms (just in case, odn't really eat them anyway), cheese (tough now I work in a cheese stall! :( ) , vinegars other than cider vinegar, cheese, sugar, dark chocolate (due to sugar), pickled foods, most fruits (save tomatoes and berries) and potatoes and other carby veg. I don't eat cereals anyway.

And to supplement with: unrefined coconut oil, cider vinegar, bone broth, garlic, live yoghurt, pau d' arco, oregano oil, graefruit seed extract, K2, D3, calcium + magneium, a multi-mineral incl selenium + zinc, acidophollus and a B complex.

And to topically treat my mouth and lips with neem and tea tree oil.

I know the vits and minerals sounds a bit extreme but considering my medical history and the angular stomatitis (which is associated with certain vitamin and mineral deificencies/malabsorption) it seems like a wise strategy.

Does anyone have any thoughts on my plan or ideas for improvement? I really can't see me cutting out all carbs with my new job. It's so physically demanding as it is I feel the carbs would be well used. I wonder would I get away with including a moderate amount from tomatoes etc. I'm starting new meds tomorrow that will be making me feel wonky for a bit too so I'm wary of pushing my body too far all at once.

Advertisement