Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Almera wont start

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Ok getting a bit peeved off with this car now...
    Car won't turn over, instead i'll get a rur-rur-rur sound and then it dies.
    Thought it might be bad spark plugs so changed them along with air/oil filter and new oil, still the same.

It seems like a bad starter motor or fuel injector but i really havent a clue, dont even have the tools to check these.

Whats even stranger is if i continuosly try to turn it over for say 45 mins or so it will eventually start(at this point temp needle has risen)

Car is 03 with 67k on the clock

Also here is a vid I uploaded of thr car trying to turn over: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZpezpYaOF8

Any help appreciated, tnx

Paul

Did you get your motor working? or find out what the problem was?
    Found these but dont know if they are relevant to you.

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/recalls/recalls.jsp?modelID=C7&modelName=Almera&makeName=Nissan&makeId=D0

http://www.ilexa.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,5867.0.html

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

jimmyw wrote: »
    Did you get your motor working? or find out what the problem was?
    Found these but dont know if they are relevant to you.

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/recalls/recalls.jsp?modelID=C7&modelName=Almera&makeName=Nissan&makeId=D0

http://www.ilexa.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,5867.0.html

From what ive read on the ilexa forums people with exact same problems as me turned out to have streched timing chains...not looking good for my car so...67k miles jebus! :mad:

Jesus I hope thats not the case, thought nissans were suppose to be bulletproof. Are you going to get it confirmed?

jimmyw wrote: »
    Jesus I hope thats not the case, thought nissans were suppose to be bulletproof. Are you going to get it confirmed?
    I thought that too hence why i bought one but it seems mine is more of a renault than a nissan...

The jumpy idling is a common occurence when the chain is streched as you can see in second video. Alsonot sure if its causing car not to start, but sure that could be something completely different too...

As far as i can see this is not covered by nissan and after 67k miles its just utterly appauling...jesus a timing belt would last that length and would be changed for a fraction of the cost.

So yeah il get codes read, but if it comes up Random misfires then it timing chain.

Anyone know how much cost of the fix on this is? Cant see me paying €700+ to get this done on a car worth ~4k and then for this to maybe happen again soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Its all guesswork without getting some fault codes...Do you know anyone with a code reader..????
    Ron.

• Advertisement

Row wrote: »
    Its all guesswork without getting some fault codes...Do you know anyone with a code reader..????
    Ron.
    Well the jumpy idling seems like misfiring but i only got full service done so that rules out sparks and the likes...

And if i google 'almera jumpy idle' i get a lot of timing chain results.

Il just have to bring it to nissan dealer to get it read i suppose :(

Well the jumpy idling seems like misfiring but i only got full service done so that rules out sparks and the likes...(

hmm...Maybe check the plug leads....if your just after having a service
    done..:)
    If you keep spraying in easystart it may cause more problems....:eek:
    If your anyway near Galway i've got a hand held code reader that will work on your car...put it this way a plugin from nissan would buy you a good code
    reader from ebay...:rolleyes:
    Do you use the main dealer or a local mechanic for services....??
    Ron.

hmm...Maybe check the plug leads....if your just after having a service
    done..:)
    If you keep spraying in easystart it may cause more problems....:eek:
    If your anyway near Galway i've got a hand held code reader that will work on your car...put it this way a plugin from nissan would buy you a good code
    reader from ebay...:rolleyes:
    Do you use the main dealer or a local mechanic for services....??
    Ron.
    Plug leads are in proper order. And wires are all ok.
    Usually use local mechanic for service cause i dont agree with any price nissan put on anything.
    Thanks for offer but located in south carlow at the moment!!

Oh and havent used easy start at all, car starts by itself after about 45 mins or so of cranking.
    Turn key, revs up to 1k or so then dies, this for about 35 mins then gets progressively better and when temp needle starts to rise until i eventually get that jumpy idling. I let it idle jumpy for about 2 mins, then turn off all electrics for another 2 mins and then when i turn back on it idles fine and car goes

I thought i read that you were spraying in easystart...:eek:...:o:o

Has your local garage got a code reader...??.. i guess he should have...:confused:
    How long ago since you serviced the car...??

I thought i read that you were spraying in easystart...:eek:...:o:o

Has your local garage got a code reader...??.. i guess he should have...:confused:
    How long ago since you serviced the car...??
    Yeah i was going to but didn't manage to get a hold of some.

I think he has a code reader but im not sure he'll be able to interpret every code that gets thrown up! especially the 'random misfire' one.
    Car was only serviced 250km ago, but problem was there before the service

• Advertisement

O.k.....it was there before the service....:rolleyes:...what did the mechanic
    say after he serviced it.....if you keep running it like that the cat may block up and you'll be out alot of euros...:eek:
    Hope you get it sorted...;)
    Ron.

O.k.....it was there before the service....:rolleyes:...what did the mechanic
    say after he serviced it.....if you keep running it like that the cat may block up and you'll be out alot of euros...:eek:
    Hope you get it sorted...;)
    Ron.
    Said it could be one of the sensors but i didnt have time/money to get anything more done with it. The cat? you mean catalytic convertor?
    Sure if it's timing chain i'll be out of a lot of euro's regardless!!:eek:
    Thanks for help and concern mate

Said it could be one of the sensors but i didnt have time/money to get anything more done with it. The cat? you mean catalytic convertor?
    Sure if it's timing chain i'll be out of a lot of euro's regardless!!:eek:
    Thanks for help and concern mate

No problem...Don't like to see anyone stuck...Let us know how you get
    on and I hope its a simple fix....:
    Ron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Ok getting a bit peeved off with this car now...
    Car won't turn over, instead i'll get a rur-rur-rur sound and then it dies.
    Thought it might be bad spark plugs so changed them along with air/oil filter and new oil, still the same.

It seems like a bad starter motor or fuel injector but i really havent a clue, dont even have the tools to check these.

Whats even stranger is if i continuosly try to turn it over for say 45 mins or so it will eventually start(at this point temp needle has risen)

Car is 03 with 67k on the clock

Also here is a vid I uploaded of thr car trying to turn over: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZpezpYaOF8

Any help appreciated, tnx

Paul

Common problem with Almera starters. get yer str sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Did you phone Nissan yet with the chassis number to see if there is any outstanding recall work yet to be done?

JHMEG wrote: »
    Did you phone Nissan yet with the chassis number to see if there is any outstanding recall work yet to be done?
    Havent had a chance but me thinks none has been done considering i bought this car when it had 33k on clock

I thought that too hence why i bought one but it seems mine is more of a renault than a nissan...

The jumpy idling is a common occurence when the chain is streched as you can see in second video. Alsonot sure if its causing car not to start, but sure that could be something completely different too...

As far as i can see this is not covered by nissan and after 67k miles its just utterly appauling...jesus a timing belt would last that length and would be changed for a fraction of the cost.

So yeah il get codes read, but if it comes up Random misfires then it timing chain.

Anyone know how much cost of the fix on this is? Cant see me paying €700+ to get this done on a car worth ~4k and then for this to maybe happen again soon...

Oh so she is not a real Nissan then;), just a badge engineered one. Well that would explain it then. So she actually is" starting" so to speak.How would the chain affect the idling problem?It must not be bad enough to cause contact between the valves and pistons! I used to think that chains were better than belts, but not so sure now. I have a Saab that has a chain and it was rattling and it is a bit annoying that if it was a belt it could be changed and problem solved even though a belt would not be rattling. I hope you get it sorted:confused:

Advertisement