Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best site designs?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

miralize wrote: »
    This is one of my favourites right now

http://playgroundinc.com/

There's something about Canadian creative agencies, that I really like. Teehan+Lax's Hyperlapse project is a very innovative use of technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

There's something about Canadian creative agencies, that I really like. Teehan+Lax's Hyperlapse project is a very innovative use of technology.

Teehan+Lax do some of the best work online along with Fantasy Interactive (although not sure if they're Canadian). Their case studies are superb

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Really like this:

http://builtbybuffalo.com/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Some nice hover effects/states over on the new http://www.typography.com/

i'm always disappointed when I see their header, and general structure. Its horrible for large screens.

• Advertisement

i'm always disappointed when I see their header, and general structure. Its horrible for large screens.

Completely agree. Not just the header either. The tiny fonts for body copy is a pain on a big screen too. Yes I can zoom, but still. They couldn't have put in a media query and cranked it up a px or two?

Quite a few bits of the site I don't like. But quite a few bits more really are quite pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭redman85

http://productops.com - Loving this

redman85 wrote: »
    http://productops.com - Loving this

It's nice, but it's also very "bleh". I feel like I've seen it a million times before.

I dunno...Maybe all these flat designs have me jaded :p

Few years old but I still love this http://www.googleventures.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

KonFusion wrote: »
    It's nice, but it's also very "bleh". I feel like I've seen it a million times before.

I dunno...Maybe all these flat designs have me jaded :p

I also don't find this 'up to a whole lot'.

Content is very 'we' oriented, and I mean beyond the word count but also methodologies description, which reminds me of webfactory's and many others' 5 stages.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'm no fan of the washed out, poor contrast type and colour schemes.

Other issues which I would address are: no form for contact, excessive centre aligned text, negative perception words, background image layout 'errors' for devices...

One under the bonnet trick I do like, is the commenting of certain end tags, mainly divs, which allows for some easier layout changing.

• Advertisement

tricky D wrote: »
    I also don't find this 'up to a whole lot'.

Content is very 'we' oriented, and I mean beyond the word count but also methodologies description, which reminds me of webfactory's and many others' 5 stages.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'm no fan of the washed out, poor contrast type and colour schemes.

Other issues which I would address are: no form for contact, excessive centre aligned text, negative perception words, background image layout 'errors' for devices...

One under the bonnet trick I do like, is the commenting of certain end tags, mainly divs, which allows for some easier layout changing.

The type could definitely be darkened in one or two places. However, I do like the white on light background for the main title, it might not be the clearest, but its hardly the most illegible thing on the internet.

We have a winner. Beautiful!

http://cats4gold.com/

Can't decide on this one. It's so ubiquitous.

Sure it's trendy...but is it great design?

I dunno. I'm waffling :)

I dunno. I'm waffling :)

Reckon you might have caught that waffle virus from the site. Not a simple explanation in sight imho.

Reckon you might have caught that waffle virus from the site. Not a simple explanation in sight imho.

Its all about audience context. The site is clearly for design professionals.

Kinda proves my point, doncha think :pac:

Kinda proves my point, doncha think :pac:

Not really. There isnt some rule that it has to be immediately understood by everyone at first glance.

Well, I did watch the video with the distracting music and still don't reckon it's getting the message across well. The slider content further down does do the message function to a good extent. It's stylish for sure, but I feel there could be more and better substance. How difficult is it for them to simply say our product does this. There's a common conception that great design is mainly about looks - it isn't. Here's a quote from some bloke who used to head a company famous for its design.
    "Most people make the mistake of thinking design is what it looks like. People think it's this veneer – that the designers are handed this box and told, 'Make it look good!' That's not what we think design is. It's not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
    Steve Jobs

Well, I did watch the video with the distracting music and still don't reckon it's getting the message across well. The slider content further down does do the message function to a good extent. It's stylish for sure, but I feel there could be more and better substance. How difficult is it for them to simply say our product does this. There's a common conception that great design is mainly about looks - it isn't. Here's a quote from some bloke who used to head a company famous for its design.

Yes I'm well aware, But what I'm saying is that for its their audience that the site needs to work for. Not the 99%

• Advertisement

Yes I'm well aware, But what I'm saying is that for its their audience that the site needs to work for. Not the 99%

As the 1%, I've decided I don't like it.

It's very pretty, but it's not good design.

I'd like to hear more opinions though.

Edit: Also the music sounds like it's from GTA :pac:

And I still reckon it doesn't do this well for the target audience which I am in to a certain extent.

I don't think our opinions are going to converge on this.:)

In awe of this guys work

http://haraldurthorleifsson.com/

You know what? Im not sure about it. Aesthetically its lovely, but the purist in me would say it's OTT. There's no predictability about it, and chaos for chaos' sake is just wrong :)

It also looks strange in 2560x1440. I wouldnt say predictability is the issue, its continuity

• Advertisement

I absolutely hate it! :)

Advertisement