Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clan Wars sponsored by Caged Steel-Aired on sky tv

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IFS.NI

Fighting on the Clan Wars 3 Card we have –

Main card –

Darren Hughes (Sudden Impact) v Alan Hannon (Combat Sports centre) – light weight 70kg

Darren Hughes is the local fighter from Magehrafelt, he fights out of Sudden Impact under the excellent training of Emmet Mc Nally, Darren is an exciting fighter and is very well known on the Irish and UK circuit. Alan Hannon fights out of the Combat Sports Centre and is an excellent all round fighter also. Darren and Alan battled before both getting the draw, Both fighters have been looking for the rematch so its now on the cards – this promises to be one of the fights of the night!

John Donnely Team Ryano v Mike ‘the Portglenone hammer’ Reid Gracie Barra Belfast – welterweight semi final 77kg

John is one of Irelands top welterweights to date with a strong ground game and solid with stand up skills, he hails from Team Ryano in Dublin under the coaching of Andy Ryan. Johns opponent is local man Mike ‘The Portglenone Hammer’ Reid. Michael is competent on the ground with his skills from Gracie Barra but also is an excellent boxer with knock out power in both hands, talk to anyone on the Irish MMA scene and they will tell you Michael is an up and coming fighter and one to definitely to watch out for in the future!

Mervyn Muholland (Juku Ryu Ju Jitsu) v Mark Gibson (Elite 400) – welterweight semi final 77kg

This is going to make a very interesting fight indeed – Mervyn has blasted onto the local MMA scene with blistering pace with impressive performances at Clan Wars 1&2 and cage contenders 1 & 2. He came runner up at the 6 man competition at Cage contenders 1 in Downpatrick against some tough opponents. He is a young lad and has a bright future in Martial Arts. His opponent Mark Gibson is a strong fighter from Elite 400 Fitness and Martial Arts centre in Craigavon training under Jonny Smyth. Mark is a very strong fighter with exceptional conditioning and solid all round game – this will prove a good test for both these young fighters.

Light Heavyweight – Clash of the titans – Colly Mc Can (Elite Martial Arts) v Andy Bell (Juku Ryu JJ) 93kg

This is going to be a war between two of Irelands top C class light heavy weights. Coming to the cage we have the 6ft 7 giant Colly Mc Cann who fights out of Elite Martial Arts, Colly is an excellent striker and has a long reach that he uses to his advantage. He is very well conditioned and a very tough competitor. He will face off against Larne fighter Andy Bell from Juku Ryu Ju Jitsu who is another man mountain; Andy is 2-0 and wants to continue his winning streak. Andy trains under head Juku Ryu Coach Alan McKee and is a very strong fighter with great wrestling and ground skills as well as being able to go toe to toe standing. This fight is the natural progression for these two fighters as both claimed victories over another tough fighter in Jimmy Ward from IMMA. This promises to be a battle from start to finish!!

Featherweight Yannick Magee (Elite Martial Arts) v Andy ‘Taz’ Young (Frames Tai Jutsu) 66kg

Yet again this is another runner for potential fight of the night! Yannick Magee hails from Warrenpoint and fights out of Elite Martial Arts, he has a solid ground game and an excellent striking game primarily from Muay Thai. He is a hungry fighter and will bring a lot of talent and energy to the cage. Yannick faces off against another ball of fury in Andy ‘Taz’ Young from Frames Tai Jutsu in Belfast. Andy is fresh from his TKO win at Cage Wars earlier in the year and is eager to impress at Clan Wars 3 after his defeat against James Gallagher which was fight of the night and another war at Clan Wars 2. There are a lot of great fights on this card but this fight is the one I personally have my eye on as there’s going to fireworks!

Middle weight Karl Bruins (Elite Martial Arts) v Dave Sloan (Salford Fight Factory) 84kg

Karl has got to be one of the biggest 84kg C class fighters in Ireland standing at around 6ft 3. He always comes to the cage to put on a good show and is willing to stand and bang, clinch or go to the ground; he is comfortable in all positions and always leaves it in the cage. Karl is up against Dave Sloan from Salford Fight Factory in England ,he trains under Darren Sherlock so you can bet he has a high caliber of striking in Muay Thai and a good submission game. This will be a good chance for both fighters to gain experience against a fighter from a different country.

73 Kg Catchweight - Phil Townley IFS (MMA debut) v Adam Kemp 1-0 (Frames Tai Jutsu)

Phil is new to MMA but has established a strong ground game and good striking skills. Phil is eager to impress and hungry for fights! He will fight Adam Kemp from Frames tia jutsu who is a competent striker with a solid submission game. This should be a very entertaining fight indeed.

Light heavyweight - Kenny Bishop IFS (MMA debut) v Gareth ‘ Wurzel’ Loughran 93kg

Kenny in the past has had a few kickboxing fights but hugely enjoys the ground game to which he is very capable and enjoys working off his back for submissions. He is excited and eager for his MMA debut! He is fighting Gareth ‘Wurzel’ Loughran who hails from Ballymena and is fighting out of Emmet Mc Nallys Sudden Impact gym. Gareth is fresh from a win at Clan Wars 2 and is looking to maintain his record.

Featherweight Anthony ‘Two,Two’ Mc Graph (PHK Belfast) v Andy Green (Salford Fight Factory) 66kg

Anthony Mc Graph fights out of PHK in Whiterock under the guidance of head coach Stephen Mc Sweeny. Anthony brings a solid all round game to the cage but loves to stand toe to toe and bang. He is up against another striker in Andy Green from Salford Fight Factory who also possesses a solid all round game. This should prove an exciting fight.

Catch weight 73kg Eoin Wilson (Frames Tai Jutsu) v Ian Walsh (Strefi Walkie)

After a busy 2009 Eoin is excited to make his return to the cage in Feb, he fights out of Frames Tia Jutsu and brings a mixed bag of tricks to the cage, coming from the Tia Jutsu I have no doubt that he will want to stand and bang toe to toe! His opponent Ian Walsh fights out of Strefi Walkie in Waterford and is an excellent kick boxer, he also possesses ground skills. If both fighters keep this standing we are in for another striking war!

Bantam weight Chris O Hare (Elite Martial Arts) v Aaron Devlin (Strabane fight team) 61kg

I was surprised to see Chris O Hare at 66kg at Clan Wars 2 as the guy is huge for featherweight; Chris is around 6ft, maybe even taller! Now that Elite martial Arts have confirmed he can make weight at 61kg this is nothing short of astounding, what is in that sea air in Warrenpoint to produce these monsters? Lol..
    As far as I know this will be the first time Chris will fight at 61kg, if he feels comfortable at that weight I feel he will offer problems to a lot of Bantamweights with his height and reach. Chris also has good stand up skills and has an iron chin which he proved at Clan Wars 2 against Paul Laverty. If theres a semi-pro bantamweight that can pull it off against Chris then Aaron Devlin is the man, Aaron is a gutsy fighter and trains out of Strabane Fight Team under Connor Cassidy, You can bet he has been training hard for this fight and will have a good game plan in place. He is coming from a team with all round skills whether its standing or on the ground so should make an interesting fight.

73kg Catchweight Rowan Penderville (Karate Jutsu) v Paul Michaels (Tai Jutsu)

This again should turn out to be another stand up war! Rowan has been busy the last few months with a TKO victory at the EFR show in the ramble and competing on the Cage Wars event, this guy loves to stand and trade and has a granite chin, he is a young fighter with a lot of talent and with experience will be one to watch out for in the future. Paul Michaels is fighting out of the Frames Tai Jutsu team in Belfast and as you know these guys love to stand and bang too, Paul has been training hard for this match up and is more than willing to go toe to toe and put on a great fight for the crowd. Two good fighters from two well established Martial Arts clubs, should be a great fight.

Featherweight Jon Morrison 1-0 IFS v Noel Kavanagh 0-0-1- Oakleaf Ju Jitsu 66kg Amateur

Due to an injury Jon had to pull out of Clan Wars 2 but is chomping on the bit to get back in their and mix it up again against Noel Kavanagh from Oakleaf JJ. Noel is another guy hungry for fights and brings a good range of skills to the cage, he fought in the first Clan Wars event and drew with Paul Lavery who is one of Jons training partners so this fight should be good!

Welterweight Darren Henderson (Cobra MMA) v Karthik Nargaraj (Salford Figt Factory) Amateur

This will be evenly matched fight from two relatively new MMA fighters, This will be Darrens debut fight, he fights out of Cobra Martial Arts under head coach Marty Mc Laughlin so you can bet he will have some solid wrestling and submission skills. Karthik is fighting out of Salford Fight Factory under Darren Sherlock so will have a good all round game, this should be a well matched fight for two relative beginners.

Light Heavyweight - George Clarke 0-0-1 (Draw) IFS v Ciaran Mc Fadden Oakleaf Ju Jitsu 93kg Amateur

George made his debut last year at Clan Wars 1 against Gary Carlin from evolve/oakleaf jj. The fight went back and forward and was a great battle of strength and technique. Both fighters fought very well and got the draw. George is comming to the cage again in feb to shake off the ring rust and to get back into action. This time he will be fighting the talented Ciaran Mc Fadden from Oakleaf JJ who is a cardio machine and has been training very hard for this fight!

Bantamweight Josh Chesney (Elite Martial Arts) v Sam Burke (Salford Fight Factory) 61kg Amateur

This will be Josh Chesney’s second outing at Clan Wars, He fought a tough battle at Clan Wars 2 against Ryan Martin from IMMA losing to a decision. He has been training hard and is looking for another chance to impress. He is a young fighter with a lot of talent. On the same note Sam Burke is an up and coming new talent from Salford Fight Factory, I have personally seen Sam fight in Bolton and have seen his skills and talent. This will be a good opportunity for two young fighters to gain experience and to shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

IFS.NI wrote: »
    Darren Hughes (Sudden Impact) v Alan Hannon (Combat Sports centre) – light weight 70kg

Darren Hughes is the local fighter from Magehrafelt, he fights out of Sudden Impact under the excellent training of Emmet Mc Nally, Darren is an exciting fighter and is very well known on the Irish and UK circuit. Alan Hannon fights out of the Combat Sports Centre and is an excellent all round fighter also. Darren and Alan fought before with Darren the victor, Alan has been training hard and looking for the rematch so its now on the cards – this promises to be one of the fights of the night!

This fight was actually a draw, not a win for Darren.

Thanks for the correction Tim,with Alan hungry looking for the rematch I automatically thought Darren had won the previous encounter. My bad........... its now been rectified. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Darren Hughes is the local fighter from Magehrafelt, he fights out of Sudden Impact under the excellent training of Emmet Mc Nally, Darren is an exciting fighter and is very well known on the Irish and UK circuit. Alan Hannon fights out of the Combat Sports Centre and is an excellent all round fighter also. Darren and Alan fought before with Darren the victor, Alan has been training hard and looking for the rematch so its now on the cards – this promises to be one of the fights of the night!

Thanks for the correction Tim,with Alan hungry looking for the rematch I automatically thought Darren had won the previous encounter. My bad........... its now been rectified. Cheers

Surely being the promoter and more importantly the match maker you should know both these guys records inside out? How can you not know they drew the last time?

Surely being the promoter and more importantly the match maker you should know both these guys records inside out? How can you not know they drew the last time?

Darren was set to fight a different opponent who could not make the bout this time around. I was contacted by Alans manager who mentioned that Alan was looking a rematch if I could arrange it against Darren.

I contacted Darrens manager to see if he was happy to take the rematch which he was and confirmed it with Alans manager.

Yes i dropped the ball assuming Darren had won the fight a few years ago simply because I knew Alan was looking for the rematch.

I should not have assumed this and a valuable lesson has been learnt, I do have both fighters W.L.D records but not who against and I was also working closely with two very capable managers when arranging the bout - its a mistake on my behalf which i hold my hands up too.

• Advertisement

Special Guests for Clan Wars 3 - Head Urban Krav Maga Instructor Stewart McGill and Leo Negao who boasts such creditials as the following -

World BJJ Champion 1998

National BJJ Champion 97,98,99

Estadual Champion 97,98,99,2000

Beat Ricardo Arona. (8x Pride Champion) at the BJJ Championship in Brazil (2001)

ADCC 2nd place B...razilian Trials

1st place Roma Submission Wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭wingnut4

bumping this up as it took me ages to find it and its next week!

Hi Claire,Thanks for bumping the post, hows the wing doing by the way?

I have been flat out the last few weeks I have not had much time to post on the forums.

Theres alot of new exciting things I need to keep everyone posted on including the up to date fight card. Theres also some fantastic match ups pencilled in for Ireland v England in April so watch this space!

I am only in the door and heading straight back out to training so I will update shortly!

Thanks

Paul

Hey

Yeh im still in a brace, got a while to go still!! grrrrr cant wait to start training again, so fat now! lol

Sounds really good from your end, cant wait to April, hopefully I can make it. Just had to pay for the reception for my wedding so I cant go next friday but have a blast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cletus

I was wondering if anybody knows whether we'll be able to view this on the LA Muscle TV website, as I dont have Sky, only Chorus :(.

Also, has an air date been set for the show?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    I was wondering if anybody knows whether we'll be able to view this on the LA Muscle TV website, as I dont have Sky, only Chorus :(.

Also, has an air date been set for the show?

Thanks in advance

Hi Cletus,

The filming done for sky will be pro fights and interviews, the full card can be viewed on pay per view P4TV on the net which i think is £15 or £20 a year but gets you loads of MMA events like OMMAC, FIGHT IKON, CAGE CONFLICT,CLAN WARS etc so its a very good deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭markfightie

bump

Looking forward to this!

Any cheaper rooms for people coming to the show?

Hi guys,

The final card can be seen here

http://www.clanwarspromotions.com/fighters.php

We have worked very hard for this show and tried to bring in as many tools to promote the fighters and positively promote MMA.

We have a page on facebook that we would appreciate if our friends here at boards.ie could join and spread the word to show the support for Irish and UK fighters getting aired on television as theres a very good chance of a series starting.Plus getting the word out for people to tune in to the show on LA Muscle TV when its on.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=281709446183&ref=mf

Thank you for all your continued help and support

Cheers

Paul

bump

Looking forward to this!

Any cheaper rooms for people coming to the show?

Hi mate,

The hotel are doing the wedding rate although there is a few b&b's around Cookstown still available at a cheaper rate.

Look forward to seeing you and John friday night

Thanks

Paul

The final card can be seen here

http://www.clanwarspromotions.com/fighters.php

The top four fights on this show will be very entertaining.
    Gotta love watching Andy Young fighting hes like a ball of energy.

Cant wait for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

Result!!!

Just scored a last minute ticket, I'll have to drive the other guys but it will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

There are quite a few guys I know on this card.

Really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Should be a great show, i know all the effort Paul and Co have put into it!!!!

Best wishes for tomorrow lads

John
    www.fight.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

This will be my first time going to a Clan Wars shows. Should be good! :)

Great night last night, thanks to Paul and everyone else at Clan Wars. It was a great event, professionally run with great fighters. Well done to everyone that stepped into the ring, its not as easy as it looks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

Are the results for last nite posted anywhere:confused:

Urs
    x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 pauls01

Mrs Lynch wrote: »
    Are the results for last nite posted anywhere:confused:

Urs
    x

Hi, I was down at the event last night, so taking these from memory. Would wait until someone official confirms them.

Darren Hughes v Alan Hannon - Darren Hughes (Decision) (Fairly close, back and forward fight, but was pretty poor as a main event - Merv's fight as ME would have been better imo)

Mark Gibson v Mervyn Muholland - Mervyn (Armbar) (That boy is goin places! Hope Mark is thoroughly ashamed of his supporters reactions, they were disgusting)

Richard Gorey v Michael Reid - Mike Reid (Referee stoppage) (Impressive from Mike)

Andy Young v Yanick McGee - Yanick McGee (Guillotine) (Looked like Andy had him at one point - executed a great takedown and fell into the guillotine - good fight)

Decky McCormick v Joe Baker - Decky McCormick (Can't remember method)

Dave Sloan v Karl Bruins - Dave Sloan (Decision) (Karl was ****in terrible! So disappointing)

Adam Kemp v Bogusz Pochylski - Bogusz (Looked to me like the guy just tapped out due to bein ****in wrecked lol)

Andy Green v Anthony McGrath - Andy Green (Can't remember method)

Ryan Martin v Joe Frey - Joe Frey (Decision) (Some great Judo throws from Joe, but apart from that, was a fairly poor fight)

Karthik Nargaraj v Louis Gribben - (Unknown) (Not actually sure on this one. Decision was given to Louis Gribben then later reversed I think?? Someone else might be able to confirm!)

Ciaran McFadden v George Clarke - George Clark (Decision) (Some good knees from George)

Sam Burke v Josh Chesney - Sam Burke (Decision)

Pauric Henry v Jon Morrison - NC (Accidental groin strike) (Joke decision imo - looked for everyone to see he took a blow to stomach and couldn't get back up and played it up as a groin strike. Would like to see the replay of this one)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Great show last night, thanks again to Paul for having us up.

Hard luck to the Cannon, great main event, two top class light weights leaving it all in the ring, almost wanted another draw so I could see it again.

Hardest jaw of the night has to go to Adam Kemp, Bogusz landed at my last count 15,000 punches to the head and he still survived to the second round, Bogusz certainly sent a message to the guys in his weight class, watch him for big things.

Andy Young vs Yannick McGee was awesome, goal mouth to goal mouth action.
    pauls01 wrote:
    Karthik Nargaraj v Louis Gribben - (Unknown) (Not actually sure on this one. Decision was given to Louis Gribben then later reversed I think?? Someone else might be able to confirm!)

Karthic won the decision and the announcer called the wrong name, they later brought him back to the cage and announced the correct decision. One of many mistakes the announcer made on the night, my favourite mistake was when he called one semi-pro fight as 5 two minute rounds of boxing action.

Pauls01 you are being a bit harsh to the fighters in your run down of the action - it takes balls to get in the cage, give them a bit more respect for getting in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 pauls01

Hi Mark, cheers for clarifying on the Karthic fight. I assumed he was back in the cage for decision reversal, but really wasn't sure what had gone on. Think it's probably unfair to blame the announcer as surely the referee would have passed the result onto him??

Who do you think I'm being harsh to? I didn't mean to come across as harsh towards anyone by the way, and have total respect for anyone who gets into that cage. I've had a few semi-pro fights myself and I know it's not easy. Complete respect to all the fighters and teams involved. No offence was intended, was just the way I saw the fights :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

The announcer had a nightmare, getting names wrong and not calling the length of rounds right, I think he called 3 x 15 minute rounds at one stage.

He has a great announcing voice, I just think he is stuck in his boxing world (Nothing wrong with that)

I have to compliment the stewards, they dealt with the glass being thrown quickly and were able to defuse a prospectively major situation. But I think the bar should of been giving out plastic cups instead of glass?

The production on last nights show was fantastic, really professional

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

pauls01 wrote: »
    Who do you think I'm being harsh to?

Ehm.....
    1) the guys in the main event
    2)the guy you said was effin terrible/disappointing
    3) the guy you claim tapped because he was tired
    4) the guy who you claim faked being hit in the groin

Other than that:rolleyes:

Anakin.S wrote: »
    The announcer had a nightmare, getting names wrong and not calling the length of rounds right, I think he called 3 x 15 minute rounds at one stage.

He has a great announcing voice, I just think he is stuck in his boxing world (Nothing wrong with that)

I have to compliment the stewards, they dealt with the glass being thrown quickly and were able to defuse a prospectively major situation. But I think the bar should of been giving out plastic cups instead of glass?

The production on last nights show was fantastic, really professional

Hi Anakin.S,

Thanks for the kind words on the show, we are working really hard to do this right and promote a professional event for the fighters.

Harry is a fantastic announcer but yes his long career as a boxing MC is hard to shift :)

The stewards and doormen done very well with the scurmish last night. They controlled the situation well in an tight position and escorted the small number in 5-10 mins to the exit. The crowd last night were fantastic and fans will see that serious MMA events will not tolerate anyone trying to ruin the progression of the sport.

The show last night had many good points and many bad points.

The Venue was excellent. Newly refurbished and ultra modern.
    Production was tip top. The cage from Strabane is the best around at the minute and with the venues light system and sound system paired with the video cameras putting action up on the big screen everything looked the part. Ive been vocal in the past about my dislike for the ISKA and i still dont think Paul and the Clan Wars team need them however if this is the level of prodution they can provide i must say im pleasantly suprised.
    The security was spot on too. When the glass throwing incident happened they were quick to diffuse the situation. People have been quick to blame Mark Gibson because they were his "fans" that were involved but i was at that side of the cage and clearly seen Merv Mulholland gesturing to the "fans" that were booing him. I know this is no excuse for what followed after but has to be taken into consideration before blame is thrown about.
    The reffing as usual with Aiden Marron and Decky Larkin was spot on.

The MC was rubbish. No other way around it. Rambled on for an age and held things up. The guy should stick to what he knows best which is obviously MC`ing at Boxing events.
    The Standard of many of the fights was Poor. 5 D-Class fights of which 4 went the distance. The finishing on display was terrible. I think out of the whole card 4-5 fights were finished within the time. For me the only fights worth remembering were the Hughes/Hannon and Ried/Gorey bouts.
    Again ive mentioned before that i belive some of the newer clubs are putting lads into fights when they are just not ready. Last night was an example of this. I dont mean to run these guys down but this show was supposedly recorded for T.V and i dont think it will help the image of Irish MMA if people think this is the standard we are at.

Overall i think the show was ok. Very Long. I do get the feeling though that the Clan Wars team are pushing themselves too far too soon. The MC was announcing the show as Irelands Premier MMA show. Im sorry but it is clearly not. The show will improve this year and in my opinion will become a solid event on the Irish MMA calander.

Marty:cool:

Great show last night, thanks again to Paul for having us up.

Was a pleasure working with you Mark, your experience and professionalism was an asset to the show.

I hope you enjoed yourself and the commentary experience :)

• Advertisement

The show last night had many good points and many bad points.

Marty:cool:

We use the ISKA because it works for us and has solid rules in place to promote MMA, this works for what we are trying to achieve.

I have mentioned earlier about Harry, he is a solid MC only i think he was getting caught up with his experience in the boxing world. We do not claim to be Irelands Premier MMA event or anything near it, the announcing was gemmed up by Harry himself I suppose for added effect. We only provided the names,records and clubs etc

As for D class fights - we started the Clan Wars show Jan 2009 giving beginners the chance to progress and we will continue to do so, we support MMA from a grass roots level. I know the MMA league is there which is a great format too although theres no reason why it cant be done in the cage also, its pretty standard around the UK. I guess its a decession for each promoter to decide if they want to do it or not.

The feedback from the shows has been amazing and the interest from clubs to compete on Clan Wars is fantastic from all round europe, we think its working well from amateur through to Pro's.

Again the only fights going on television are the Pro fights, the undercard is being hosted on P4TV.com. The pros last night are all very capable fighters and would be seen on any of the bills on other similar promotions.

Guess to sum it up, we started to promote fighters from all levels and will continue to do so. Those who like what we are doing will get onboard with the show and those who dont wont.......theres no harm done, everyone has their own opinions on things but its down to the promotion what they want to do.

Advertisement