Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Coleman rollcall for Knock Sat 31st Oct

Options
  • 27-10-2009 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭

Okay, not content with a no show at the last Knock meet up of the deluded, sorry, faithful (and no, the sun going behind the clouds and coming back out is NOT a miracle because if it was then there are miracles going on in my garden right this second) Joe Coleman, 'honest and humble man with a just little healing room' and BFF of the Mary Mother of God, has claimed on Newstalk a few minutes ago that she absolutely will turn up this Saturday in Knock ( 31st Oct). He also claimed there were 'cures' the last day, no mention of who was cured and of what of course, but he was not challenged on this, as he never is.

As I have said before, if this actually happens and Mary turns up, I will drop to my knees, renounce my atheism and become a holy roller. But if she doesn't- and I am not a betting woman but I would bet on her not- do you think people will see this man for the fraud he is or will the goal-posts be moved once again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Obviously they will see him for the fraud he is.. oh no, wait...

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

* eyes up plot of land for grotto building*
    Wait, Mr Pudding, you doubt the holy Joe? But he's on a direct line. And he's just so humble, he doesn't even have a car, he had to use a train to go to Knock! He's hates the media intrusion, even though he had to give intervews to Newstalk and various newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Panrich

he had to use a train to go to Knock!

Now that's a miracle in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

The interesting thing about this is that the parish priest is feeling threatened by this and urging people to ignore Coleman, obviously scared of losing control. and Coleman is in turn condemning the clergy for not having faith. As is happening ever more frequently it is now the lay faithful that are the real danger to sanity and rationality in this country, it's the non-priests that are in the vanguard of deluded scary Catholicism at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

I dont understand why people have to mock what others believe in. So what if people believe that there will be apparitions?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I dont understand why people have to mock what others believe in.
    It's only mocking if people are being intentionally offensive.

If you ask, I think you'll find that people here are just having a good giggle at something that really is splendidly silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Perhaps Belittle would have been a better choice of words.

Oh please, if I went to a site where the believers were wittering on about the 'visions' and said, 'look you're all eegits and you're wrong and suffering from mass hysteria' THAT would be belittling them. Wondering on an atheist forum why Joe Coleman is allowed make unsubstantiated claims about visions that no one really saw, virgins that don't appear and cures that there is no record of, in the Irish media and why there is absolutely NO evidence of a miracle is hardly belittling.
    It always amuses me that people are quick to play the victimised card when there is religion involved. If a group of people claim they saw the Loch Ness Monster in Knock, but could provide no evidence other than a mobile phone shot of a lake, would you be so quick to go defend the horde? No? Well then what's different this time?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Bigdeadlydave - it's not as if we're out there with placards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I dont understand why people have to mock what others believe in. So what if people believe that there will be apparitions?

Because it is monumentally stupid and ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

nah, belittle is the wrong word. It assumes the subject matter is taken seriously enough to actually be reduced. In regards to this topic that is categorically impossible.

If anything, I feel we are being far too forgiving by referring to it as "monumentally stupid and ridiculous". You could say we are giving an embellished and flattering account of these apparitions.

The fact that no virgin appeared seems to have escaped everyone who was at Knock the last day. Sunshine? That's the miracle? I know it's Ireland but come on!
    Joe Coleman is a disgusting fraud who believes the 'lost city of Atlanta will rise in 2012' http://ballyer.net/2007/12/no-ordinary-joe/and used to be a clairvoyant and trapped spirit releaser, ( guffaws) until it made more fiscal sense for him to move into healing ( even over the phone ! Hurrah!) and from there a quick hop skip and a jump to getting messages from a dead woman.

He is allowed spew his drivel all over the Irish media unchallenged and unchecked and without having to verify a single word. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2009/1028/1224257549789.html I believe it is only right and proper that he is denounced. I can imagine this 'humble' huckster is going to make a fortune over the next year or two 'healing' the gullible and the desperate.

(I particularly liked this 'humble' man's dig at the Bishop- his open critic- 'hiding behind his big gates in his big house' oh yes, this humble man of de people is just like us. Poor thing, every 'reluctant' interview he gives is more carefully canny than the last. No manipulation there folks, oh no.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Oh please, if I we went to a site where the believers were wittering on about the 'visions' and said, 'look you're all eegits and you're wrong and suffering from mass hysteria

Sounds like a great idea!

Heh, nah, I wouldn't, but I just dislike this kind of fraud. He has a clinic in Ballyfermot, makes a FORTUNE 'doing' healing, uses the exact lines that other eegit Lorna Byrne and every other mumbo jumbo snake oil salesman uses.
    'saw spirits a child' check,
    'developed gift' check,
    uses angels' check,
    'communicates with animals' check,
    is humble, yet media savvy 'check'
    I mean, seriously, I should make up a bingo chart for frauds. Actually I think I will.

http://www.kerrytown-apparitions.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

'lost city of Atlanta will rise in 2012'

Hold the phones :eek: when did we lose Atlanta?

Hah, oops,:o sorry, Atlantis!

I mean, seriously, I should make up a bingo chart for frauds. Actually I think I will.
    Try Carl Sagan's Baloney Detection Kit:

http://www.xenu.net/archive/baloney_detection.html

Though I think Bullshit Bingo is a better term.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Where can I get a virgin Mary costume?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You could dress up as a tree stump? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

That will do. Should I shave the beard first?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Until recently, he described himself as a clairvoyant. He now prefers the term “spiritual healer”, and claims to be able to cure people of various illnesses. “People come to me for all sorts of ailments. They could have cancer, arthritis, MS – all sorts of things. Healing comes out of my hands. I pray over people on the phone. I cure them,” he says.

This is the only bit that matters. Anyone who cons vulnerable and gravely ill people into paying them for spiritual healing is a cretin. Having him on the radio just gives him a bigger audience of people to take advantage of. 5,000 people gathered last time? Good ol' Ireland.

To be fair eighty fish, I doubt there were too many there for 'humble' Joe's waffle, a goodly number were going there anyway for some other religious thing or other, and the rest were travellers.
    But as to the rest, indeed and spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Where can I get a virgin Mary costume?

Depends, do you want a historically accurate costume which no one will recognise?
    Or do you want to dress as a milky white blonde chick in a hood, which is wrong, but recognisable?

Actually....

300.jpg

How she remained a virgin in that part of the world, at that point in time, looking like THAT is one of the great mysteries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

That wasn't mockery. This is mockery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Galvasean wrote: »
    Depends, do you want a historically accurate costume which no one will recognise?
    Or do you want to dress as a milky white blonde chick in a hood, which is wrong, but recognisable?

Actually....

300.jpg

How she remained a virgin in that part of the world, at that point in time, looking like THAT is one of the great mysteries.

If she appears in Knock this weekend, I'm rejoining the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,930 ✭✭✭furiousox

The fact that no virgin appeared seems to have escaped everyone who was at Knock the last day

l think you'll find there were virgins there that day, hundreds of them in fact, and a lot of them were probably called mary...and brigid...and una and concepta ! :pac:

CPL 593H

dvpower wrote: »
    If she appears in Knock this weekend, I'm rejoining the church.
    No doubt, just in time for the second coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

furiousox wrote: »
    l think you'll find there were virgins there that day, hundreds of them in fact, and a lot of them were probably called mary...and brigid...and una and concepta ! :pac:

There were fcuk all virgins there. There are fcuk all virgins anywhere :D:D:D

Advertisement